Do these work? Do they feel anything like a stick?

Do these work? Do they feel anything like a stick?

Paddle Shifter/"Semiautomatic" thread

No, you are basically suggesting that the car shift, but in the end the car will decide if it wants to or not depending on the situation.

This, they nanny the fuck out of you.

When I drove my first paddle shifter, I thought that I would be able to throw it in sport mode and then control my shifts with a click. Turns out the shifts happen like half a second after I click upshift when at redline. Also, I can't do quick downshifts.

What a shitty system.

When you ask the dealer, "Can I hurt the car if I shift into the wrong gear with these paddle shifters?", they will always respond, "No, the computer won't let you do anything to hurt the car."

Paddle shifters are a suggestion to the car, not an order.

To add to the above, the car wont let you redline it either and will shift up just before even if its in "manual"

Yep, I have a Lexus IS300, you can shift them, but in the end, a computer will shift automatically.
If your looking to replace a manual, this isn't it.

>buying an automatic bmw that isn't a 7-series
mistakes were made.

>buying a bmw that isn't a 2-series

horrific tbqh

would you say it's more fun than not having them?

t. slushbox camry owner

Manual-------------------->Shift Paddles>No Shift paddles

The paddle shifters on my Fit are okay.
It won't let you redline in first, but you can in second.

I haven't come across any other limitations than that yet.

It's nothing like manual, you autists can argue all you want as to whether it's a good or bad thing but you'll realize how different it is once you drive both

There's four trannies.

1. Manual
2. Automated Manual
3. Tiptronic Automatic
4. Autotragic

All three on BMW's do well with the tip even scoring better times than the manual.

2. Is supposedly fastest for track.

But some plebs are still in denial that these aren't faster.

Manual is still however, actually fun to drive. The tiptronics just don't have that magic.

"just before"

My car shifts at 3 rpm cuz muh """""""""redline"""""""

>1. 1 clutch
>2. 2 clutch
>3. torque converter

is what you mean

Do all paddle shift cars deny shift requests?

>all these faggots pretending they must rev into the redline

why is this a bad thing?

paddles are really only acceptable if the car has a DCT in those cases the shifts are quick enough to warrent paddels imo. These days they throw paddles on fucking everything for MUH SPORTY FEELS. Paddles on typical torque converter autos are retarded. When you hit to shift it just takes alot longer than it should see GM 8 speed auto. The only conventional autos that deserve paddles are the auto in the hellcat and maybe the GM/Ford 10speed. Those shift as quick as a dct so it feels less like a gimmick. Still not a very good replacement for a manual trans, but accessible if you cant into stick and you get a good DCT

There's probably certain parameters that would make the car refuse the request, but I've never found them on my Fit.
I've shifted into 5th while going 5mph, and I've shifted down to 2nd at 70.

why would you want a manual 5 series?

I have a supercharged a heavily modded 370z with 7AT. The trans has been upgraded but the ruleset is still similar, just at a higher rpm since I've pushed redline back to 8200rpm.

The only time it will refuse a shift is if the downshift will put it over 8200rpm, or an upshift putting it below 1000rpm. Any other use case and it's a neck-snappingly fast shift

What the gosh darn heck is the difference between an automated manual and a tiptronic?

if you aren't trolling the automated manual still has a clutch (or maybe even two depending on who makes it) and it automates the shifting process thatn involves a clutch engaging and disengaging.

The tiptronics are slush box torque converters that you can suggest a gear too.

The automated manual is best. The 2010 on in BMW and other tips are just slightly behind and manuals are last.

However, the tips feel like a slush box. The auto manual still has a clutch that you feel but isn't as fun.

Sequential shift manual transmission gearboxes when?

alright Veeky Forums
i dont get it, the whole
auto vs manual
what is the actual big deal here
why burgers cant deal with a fucking stick
>im a bike guy and i learned to drive manual cars at 18
>there is no fucking big deal
why Veeky Forums answer to auto is allways autistic screaching and not some argument
guess manual is better when you want to do some special shit in your car and impress the girls
but for daily drive auto is better

why yuropoors only use manual when its the least fun or convenient.

>what is the actual big deal here
Cucks who have nothing else to be proud of pretend that they are better than others because they have to manually shift gears all day.
t. own two automatics and two manuals.

the one in mr2 is basically a clutchless manual.
No nanny shit, you can blow up your engine easily.
But its way slower than a manual and even with normal use the tranny is a ticking time bomb

Europe never had the automatic revolution that the US did in the 50's because Europe was a broken shit hole after the war.
Literally Europoors.
Europe is only now coming into a love affair with automatics.
Automatics suck shit anyway though, so the suffering of post war Europeans had its benefits.

Do you have to take your foot off the accelerator pedal when you use paddle shift? I've never driven a paddle shift, and I wouldn't think you'd need to, but I'm just curious.

why would you want an automatic anything?

I have steering wheel shift buttons and "manual auto" on my TT (Tiptronic) but honestly the "Sport" automatic mode revs so high and is so smooth that I usually just leave it there and don't bother with manual mode. Frankly the steering wheel shift buttons are pretty awkward unless you're just going in a straight line, it's hard to find/use them going around corners.

>do they work
I mean yeah.
They feel pretty good and natural at peak driving, clumsy and inefficient if you use them while say, commuting.
Overall it's like a dog box, being an acquired taste.
I prefer the paddles to the dbox

Yes my only complaint is that they require specific driving posture and grip to actually be used, it's not like you can't drive a stick shift and slouch around