What can car makers and engineers do to keep manual transmissions competitive in the modern day Veeky Forums?

What can car makers and engineers do to keep manual transmissions competitive in the modern day Veeky Forums?

It used to be that it took more skill to be a good competitive driver because you had to have the skill to operate a stick shift. Manuals used to get better mileage, were cheaper and easier to repair, and most importantly faster than the slushboxes of old. Now any old fart can be just as fast as you just by pushing a pedal. Skill, motor coordination, and quick movement are no longer rewarded.

How do we go back to the good old days for vehicles?

You're confusing skill with habit.

Why do you think there is such inconsistency in quarter mile times with manuals depending on the driver? Some people can just shift faster and smoother than others. Automatics are much more consistent.

>driving a car in a straight line
>skill

>How do we go back to the good old days for vehicles?
We don't. The future is inevitable. Accept it.

Yes driving requires skill and experience numb nuts. Not everyone can be a drag racer or track racer.

>Self driving cars
>Self flying air vehicles
>Teleportation
>Brain encased in a robot connected to the hive mind

OR

>Collapse of western civilization

Dam future

>Yes driving requires skill and experience
I did not deny this.
>Not everyone can be a drag racer
literally anyone can with a deep enough wallet.

they should just let manual die and not waste money

>What can car makers and engineers do to keep manual transmissions competitive in the modern day Veeky Forums?
Why they automate them and have a pair of input shafts with a clutch on each. There's your modern day competitive manual transmission.
With all due respect, I don't think you have any fucking idea how bracket racing works.

>Why they automate them and have a pair of input shafts with a clutch on each. There's your modern day competitive manual transmission.
Explain

Bracket racing or not, the idea is the same. Drag racing is the final destination of cars, in that people think by stripping away all elements of the game that the skill will shine through, but instead highlighting the players' inability to cope with and adapt to changing elements.

>skills
>to operate a stick shift
Is this what bad drivers actually think? That they are somehow special for being able to move a gear stick and operate a clutch?

He's probably referring to the practice of rev-matching which I guess does require an element of skill if you want your blips to be perfect.

Regarding racing, it doesn't make a difference since they all eventually end up on a sequential gearbox

He's talking about a dual clutch transmission, which has even and odd gears on separate shafts and based on what the car is doing (accelerating and approaching red line or decelerating) it will determine whether to rev match either the higher or lower gear is anticipation of when you tell it to shift. For instance, if you were accelerating in 2nd it would ready 3rd gear on the odd shaft but it wouldn't be engaged because the clutch for the odd-numbered gear shaft isn't engaged, when you press the shifter it disengages the even-number shaft's clutch and engages the odd-number shaft's clutch which is a much quicker process than operating a "stick shift" manual. The driver operates with paddle shifters(as opposed to a clutch pedal and stick shifter) and there is usually also an automatic shifting mode.

The only way to make a manual transmission faster is it to automate it. If you were to engineer that trasmission to be faster than a automatic, then you would simply end up with a dct.

Since you're so good at it, go wow them and become a top fuel drag racer. Prove us wrong.

Why would I burn so much cash to prove I can drive stick in a straight line?

If you're so good they'll pick you up just for being good shitfuck

I'll bracket race you for pinks at your local strip.

The bracket racing part COMPLETELY removes the fact that my car is faster than yours from the equation so you don't have to worry about the bigger wallet winning.

Actually they can because automatics are faster than the human mind.

>He believes brackets are 100% accurate
Kys

I knew you'd pussy out.

Race me in a formula car, only true way to determine driver skill

>bbbut I can only press the skinny pedal and hold the wheel straight!
Exactly as I tho8ght

You said drag racing involves no skill, don't try to change the subject now pussy

>Drag racing is the final destination of cars, in that people think by stripping away all elements of the game that the skill will shine through, but instead highlighting the players' inability to cope with and adapt to changing elements.
Literally what the fuck are you talking about?
As was explained, a computer controlled transmission that functions with constantly meshed gears, shift forks and clutches. As opposed to hydraulic pressure, clutch packs, crushing disappointment and planetary gears.

>He believes brackets are 100% accurate
What the fuck are talking about? Literally dial in your own index.

>no corners
>no racing lines
>no downshifts
>foxbody only
>final destination

Which doesn't counter anything said.

Competitive shouldn't be the goal. DCTs are objectively superior in every aspect except cost. The goal for a car sold as a manual should be fun and driver engagement.

except for the assertion that drag racing requires skill.

Which doesn't counter the argument that success in bracket racing is nothing but skill. Whether or not it involves the arbitrary tasks you've brought forward.

You're just pretending to be retarded, right?

>Which doesn't counter the argument that success in bracket racing is nothing but skill.
Bracket racing IS nothing but skill, because the quickness of the car is eliminated. All you need to win bracket racing is;
>Know your car
>Know how to drive it consistently (launch the same every time, shift the same every time, know when it's going faster than the dial in and thus when to let off just a bit)
>Know how to time your launch by the tree perfectly
literally all are skills you cannot do without skill building (this thing called "practice")

Bracket racing with a manual transmission is hard.

T. motorcycle drag racer.

Yeah, I'm agreeing. I presume you simply linked the wrong post.
My kettle isn't black m8.

>What can car makers and engineers do to keep manual transmissions competitive in the modern day Veeky Forums?
Nothing.

Some companies (BMW, Porsche) will always cater to enthusiasts with a variety of RWD and manual models offered along with their insistence on using outdated engine layouts (straight six and flat engines). Others (Honda, Ford) continue only to offer manual on some performance models (Civic Type R, Fiesta ST, Focus ST and RS) solely because it suits the character of the vehicle.

Forget about lap times, and 0-60 times, and instead focus on enjoyment. Do you drive a manual vehicle, user? Do your friends? Are they interested? Show them that your piece-of-shit $3k Honda Civic can be fun when you're revving its guts out like a boyracing nonce.

The burden of keeping manual transmissions relevant is not on the automakers, but on enthusiasts.

Chicken strips pls

Nah my drag bike has a slick on it and I spend more time on my 636 carving the mountain roads than you spend on Veeky Forums.

Manuals can never be faster because the human hand can't shift faster than those computers shifting at like 0.08 secs.

Sure thing Mr Nobike.
Shift times=/=outright pace.

>The burden of keeping manual transmissions relevant is not on the automakers, but on enthusiasts.

Nice trips. I was thinking along the lines of innovations like "Active Rev Matching." You can turn it off if you want the traditional experience of driving a stick but it's a feature that you can turn on if you want that competitiveness. It's a small step to keeping manual relevant because you just put it in a gear and the engine automatically keeps the right rpm for not only a quicker shift but also much more smoother. Also, stick shifters with a shorter throw so the movement is quicker and feels tighter. Surely there are other innovations to be made assuming the engineers want to. I think a nice technology that can be developed is making it smoother and easier on the car if you want to dump the clutch. And making it easier for mechanics to access the clutch if it needs to be replaced instead of having to drop the entire drive shaft and tranny. Technology like line lock allows manuals to have easier burnouts. Just a few example ideas.

Give us 8-gear transmissions for ultra-efficient highway driving.

>Technology like line lock allows manuals to have easier burnouts
They sold Mustangs with line locks and a burnout mode here but road safety losers had a whinge about it and they made Ford take the burnout button out.

I think they still came with the line lock installed but we've been smoking rubber without issue since time immemorial. I doubt it's stopped anyone from ripping hectic skids.

Nothing.
99% of sportscars are not bought by actual racing drivers to be used on actual race tracks in actual races for monetary prizes.
Manual is just more fun than automatic. Plain and simple.
It's competetive too, because you're talking about a few hundred millisecond difference between manual and automatic. Only on upshifts since downshifts occur while braking into a corner and have no effect on you unless you fuck up and upset the weight shifting.

You may be a benchracer with an automatic that shifts in 0.08 seconds but so what, you'll still get rekt by a guy who knows how to drive in a civic.

This would be cool. I know the corvette has 7 gears and the 7th gear is probably even longer than 6th. It would help if I want to cruise at 80,90,100 mph at 1500 rpm