So what were Barbarians really like Veeky Forums?

So what were Barbarians really like Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YAVUS-QUe_c&list=PL77A337915A76F660&index=7
youtube.com/watch?v=aiIbB1O1BK0
sacred-texts.com/cla/tac/g01000.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I see Barbarians of old as how Commies are seen as today.

Simply the enemies of the main civilisations ideology.

They come from Harrogath.

In the sense of the late Roman Empire, they were basically indistinguishable from your average Roman hillbilly and citizen. Many of the Kings wanted to adopt and emulate Rome, and oftentimes the law codes of the "Barbarian" Kingdoms would have certain provisions based on Romans and Barbarians.

youtube.com/watch?v=YAVUS-QUe_c&list=PL77A337915A76F660&index=7

This guy (an excellent lecturer in general) gives a great account of it.

Primitive mudpeople who shit wherever it landed and didn't wipe.

You mean Harrogate, where the G&S Festival is?

No I mean Harrogath, at the base of Mt. Areat.

No no, I think you mean Harrogate where this happens.

youtube.com/watch?v=aiIbB1O1BK0

Barbarians were people a certain civilisation deemed uncivilised and this barbaric. They are usually tribal people who don't have cities and have at most a large village

depends which ones you're talking about. Germanic people were savage hippies that wanted to live in harmony and connection with nature and valued their freedom and independence alot. They saw living in towns and cities as akin to imprisonment, like an entombing trap. They thought romans didnt live well with the spirits because of their civic life. They were probably very ecologcally/horticulturally minded.

A less romantic view is that they were scary inbred backwoods hillbillies

whatever the greco-roman narrative didn't like

All of you t.b.h.

t. China.

>Go there, moi, me? You gotta be kidding.
>~Tacitus

Seriously, though, that lecturer's very interesting, and it's a shame I studied law instead of history.

tech laggers

And now it's over. Robbed of the life we deserved to live.

>They saw living in towns and cities as akin to imprisonment
Isn't it linked to all sorts of health and mental health problems? I guess they were right.

sacred-texts.com/cla/tac/g01000.htm

Yeah, 21st century has been really good for people who have wanted to listen to talks and lectures of different classes without having to pay for tuition. If you were certain some professors had a youtube where they put stuff, you could literally just steal syllabi and "take" their classes by going through their required reading and listening to those lectures on your own time.

Also another favorite of mine is Ted Sherman, though he's more Veeky Forums oriented

They wuz nomadic an sheet

Herd goats and horses

And fucked a lot of women

Steppe nomad life seems the comfiest and freest ever.

>getting colonized

A vast group of peoples described by primitive civilizations who weren't capabale of learning their language.