Audi 80 buying guide

Hello Veeky Forums,

I might be able to purchase this beauty soon:

>1988
>211 000 km (130 000 in burger units)
>1.8, 112 BHP
>2500 USD

Will I regret that? General youngtimer Audi thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

autogidas.lt/audi-80-b4-sedanas-1993-0128961057.html
autogidas.lt/peugeot-107-trendy-hecbekas-2008-0128965751.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Interior pic

And yes, I am talking about this exact car on images

Watch out for malfunctioning electronics, check the wiring loom running to the trunk lid especially. Rust isn't really an issue because they're double galvanized.
Ideally you'd want to get the 2.3 inline 5 though, that thing is indestructible and can be built up for stupid power. The 1.8 is very slow.

T H I C C

H

I

C

C

>europoors

2500 is a lot for a 30 year old car with 211k km, make sure it's in great condition or walk away.

>polski

why are you asking on a burger forum?
you do know that you won't get any usable advice apart from the usual VAGina hate and "is doo slo" babble?

also, 2500 seems a bit much for a fucking 80 with 200k km.
has to be mint or gtfo and don't buy it

I don't mind being slow, really. I heard that they are extremely well conserved when it comes to anti-rust protection, that is one of the main concern in old cars I guess.
I just don't want another soulless shitbox and this one stands out to me.

Thanks for sharing.

Those pics can be wallpapers desu

USD
Just buy one in Lithuania, it'll cost you 800 tops

forgot to mention the 1.8 is OK, the 1.6 would be borderline annoyingly slow.

the thing is, that car is autotragic which means it will SUCK OUT the tiniest bit of spirit so in the end it will probably feel much more lethargic than a manual 1.6.

be a deeply relaxed motherfucker or you will be annoyed. not raging but perma-annoyed.

That`s a lot for an ancient shitbox. Get a golf instead.

There are europoors here as well and it's not that I will make decision based exclusively on Veeky Forums opinion. Just nice to have additional input, I value each little thing.

It's a little bit money I know, but in Poland it's hard not to find a car without odometer altered hundred times. I can pay some more for a reliable car with proven history.

>$2500 for that
$1500 AT BEST, I can even see it's a base model.

Fuck, I'd rather have an E36 325i with an altered odometer than a mint Audi 80.
Unless you're a collector of course

>deeply relaxed motherfucker

What did you mean by this?

Way too much, I've seen manual 4000cs Quattros in the same shape sell for half that, and those cares are at least a bit interesting. The 80 would be like having an Accord or Camry but less reliable and more of a pain to fix

Many autos from that era are slow and unresponsive. No sporty/spirited driving for you, although the car doesn't really encourage that anyway.

I didn't even know automatics existed in 80.
>I just don't want another soulless shitbox and this one stands out to me.

Here's a quattro in need of some love that OP would snap up if he had half a brain
autogidas.lt/audi-80-b4-sedanas-1993-0128961057.html

Ok, maybe this one?

>Merc 190E W201 1986
>147 000 km (91 000 miles)
>2.0, 122 BHP
>2700 USD

Interior pic incoming soon

That's cool, but shipping and taxes for taking it back to PL would ruin me.

Are used cars in Poland really that overpriced? Or you're buying from used car saloons?

Those look TOO polished.

Also, those tons of contrast they put on those photos.
I would take one who knows about cars with you and check it out but my shitbox senses say they might hide some damage behind all that clean surface

Please give the prices in Euros, not in USD

I am absolutely fine with this, honestly. I was driving my dad's shitty Peugeot 406 diesel 1.9 90 BHP and it wasn't that bad.

You could just go there 2bh, it's not that far. As for the taxes, I thought there were none inside the EU.

Expect copious torque steer and understeer
They're solid cars though, but its still old and any old car will give you problems.
Kupuj maluch pedał

I heard that used cars in USA are dirt cheap compared to Europe. Buying brand new Ford Mondeo is considered luxury.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I am definitely not going alone to check this. I need somebody to hold me back.

2600 EUR

>torque steer
Don't the equal length front drive shafts on these eliminate that?

Supposedly not, i heard that its quite noticeable, maybe just on the bigger engines

>2000 euros
>A fucking Audi 80

Yes you will regret your ass for this purchase, 2000 euros is Audi B5 money or Passat B5.5 money.
The 1.8 is an whatever engine, not as reliable as the 1.6, not as fun as the 1.8T, not as smooth as the 2.0.

You get the middle of everything, and nothing particularly good.
Just get urself the 1.6 8v 102 bhp engine.
Or even better - get a Passat B5.5 with the 1.6 MPI 8v ( must be the 8v ) !!! if you want an undying engine !!
Or better yet, the 2.0 8v 116 bhp engine ! One of the most reliable engines in this universe and a couple more other !

>Yes you will regret your ass for this purchase, 2000 euros is Audi B5 money or Passat B5.5 money.
You forget that the "classic car" FAGGOTRY has already began for the 80, especially for clean ones.

Let me tell you about my 1993 c4 S4, that I got for 3k and was in worse shape then yours probably 165k miles. In about 6 months of owning it I have had to...

-Replace o2 sensor, non oem required splicing of plug $12 (oem goes for $90)
-Replace spark plugs OEM $55
-fix multiple vacuum / boost leaks started replacing vacuum lines $10-15 maybe less
-Pcv valve (billet aluminium probably a waste of money) $30
-A 1 way pressure valve similar to pcv forget name, OEM audi $35
-Coolant temp sensor for gauge on dash (I believe there is 3 in total) $35
-rear camber arm $40, only did 1 side as it had pretty much completely failed and was making a ton of noise but going to do other side as hear very minor noise coming from it.
-wheel bearing $45
-blinker (thing that holds the bulbs) bought 2 for $10 each. Both original ones had stopped working.
-Changed the oil with synthetic once $35 for oil + filter

Other misc things I didn't really need to do
-Air filter, old was spectre and I didn't trust it, got a same size Injen non oiled filter with a damaged box for $30, (normally $55 or something)
-outside temp gauge, bought of a forum member for $20

Before this nothing had kept me from driving the car every day without problem. The most recent thing to go bad is my G40, CPS cam position sensor. Without signal from this the car wont engage the fuel pump as it does not know when the engine is in compression or exhaust. The car (some times it would get a signal other times it wouldn't) would still start it just was slowly getting worse taking longer to crank and sometimes I would have to wait like 15 minutes and try again. At this point I stopped driving it and I have bought a timing belt kit $140, CPS $20 without bracket (with bracket is $120ish).

Also think I missed a few small things but thats everything off the top of my head, oh I need new tires but thats partly my fault and My battery isn't in the best of condition but I reckon it will last until next winter.

I doubt a 1.8 would have any problems with torque steer, honestly. A turbo'd 5cyl or V6, sure, but a regular old NA 1.8?

Some less contrast here

Why did you post this autism outburst? A 1.8 Audi 80 is a completely different car.

>I heard that used cars in USA are dirt cheap compared to Europe. Buying brand new Ford Mondeo is considered luxury.
Same here in Eastern Yurop where I live, but the 80 and 190 you posted seem way overpriced. But then again, it's also impossible to find super shitboxes like C1/107 under €5000. Fuck these people, I'm not going to buy a Peugeot 107 for five thousand euros.

>huge list of fixes

That is mostly hardcore maintenance neglect by the previous owner though?

I'd definitely check out both of them but as I said, take one with you.

He asked about buying an old Audi, I know an Audi 80 is a competly different car but in terms of the number of things that need to be fixed its probably similar.

Yes mostly he had it for 3 years and only drove it in the summer. It was mis firing in boost when I bought it.

Y'all are living in some shitty car countries
autogidas.lt/peugeot-107-trendy-hecbekas-2008-0128965751.html

>Audi 80 becoming a classic
>Fair enough
>1.8 NA engine.

You're just delusional bub.

Just get urself a 2.0L petrol 116 bhp car and you'll see the definition of smooth cruising.

OP here

I really appreaciate your sharing and I think I got your point - buying an old "premium" car can (and most likely) will go bad. However Audi 80 is significantly less sophisticated (if we can call it that way). It simply has less shit that can break down.

Was it repeatedly stolen though?

Automatic transmissions have been in use since the '40s m8

>only one Opel Calibra
Where did these cars disappear?

That's the market price over here, so no, probably not. You can ask for the VIN and check it if you want.

You have literally no idea about cars.
The 80 has an iconic design, if you like it or not, hence it definitely will go down the classic car route.
It doesn't matter which engine it has since even the plentiful 1.8 get rare in mint condition.

80 as in Audi 80 durr.

north africa, eastern europe etc

I see the opposite. In the UK cars are cheap as fuck. Your insurance is a fucking scam, but the cars you can get there for a couple grand are WAY better than what you can get here. People in the US think their cars are worth WAY more than they are. POS 92 corollas, people asking $2k, not to mention the $2k worth of parts they need. Dodge neons for $3k. NA supras for $20k.

The prices in the US are fucked, people selling cars that need thousands in maintenance for thousands of dollars. By the time you get it to a half way decent car, you've spent $8k all in. You can buy brand new econo boxes for $12. A Ford fiesta S is $14k (can probably get it cheaper from the dealer). A used focus SVT from the early 2000s, people ask $5-$7k for.

Obviously there are deals to be found, but the average price of some of these cars is fucking absurd.

They're mostly piles of dust by now. I bet it's one of the most rust prone cars in the world. Notice how there are even more Asconas being sold than Calibras. Quite incredible.

The UK isn't very reflective of mainland Europe though, and even then prices vary massively between countries.

I got some new one. I don't know why, but only one word comes to mind: KINO

>Citroen XM V6 EXCLUSIVE
>1995
>3.0 167 BHP
>161 000 km (100 000 miles)
>2700 USD, 2500 EUR

Definitely got my attention

I don't mean to make it scary, but I would do it over again, this is my favorite car I have owned. Its probably the easiest car I have worked on yet. (WRX's, 300zxTT,Altima SER, Integra GSR, Ford Ranger) All of the bolts are high quality and have 0 corrosion and come off with ease, this car has been in the north east its whole life too. But If you can't/won't work on it yourself it will get expensive very quickly, cross referencing part numbers and looking over forums has saved me tons of money already.

I'm from Eastern Europe and the last time I've seen one was like 10 years ago.
Vectras (and Calibras which are based on Vectra B) really are rust prone, and it's such a shame because it's nice looking, has good kilometrage and very reliable engine. It's one of my "dream" cars since I was a kid.

French got the taste, gotta say

These are top-tier comfy, but that suspension better be maintained properly and any rust is a big no-no.

Inquire about suspension, if it's in working order then buy this over so far listed cars.

That's good advice, I am more DIY guy so it's fine. Of course I wouldn't do any serious stuff.

Bumping with Citroen

I see you enjoy it. Some more pics would perhaps please you. It has good mileage but it's kinda rare + bad fuel economy.

Go for it. German fellow here, got my 80 B3 (1.6 75 PS, 1986) for 1800 euros, it only had 75000 km on it, but damm was it in bad condition compared to this one.

No major problems so far and I drive it for over 2 years now, got TÜV without a problem.

I know someone who drives a white diesel XM, which had fucked suspension at some point. He had to basically tear the entire car apart to fix it all.
Fantastic car when it works though.

Truly a beautiful car

Calibras are so tuned nowadays that you can't even recognize them

Can tell, someone I know managed to make it RWD and stuff in a V12 from 8 series.

Those old German cars were golden. They still are, but it's something different. Sorry for this blasphemous Citroen posting, but you gotta admit it has some class to it.

Hast du schon H-Kennzeichen?

Damn, that really does look good. Im a sucker for these interiors.

Dont really have a good pic of mine, and its dark out. Dont worry, I cleaned up after that shit.

Just a quick question: What is this controller for?

>implying anyone cares for my kennzeichen

Ist offiziell erst am 20 Februar 30 geworden. Hat noch einige Dellen und ich brauch einen neuen Kofferraumdeckel (Vorbesitzerin hat anscheinend ein Holzbrett oder so transportieren wollen und ihn verformt durch Gewalt), aber ich ziele auf Mai/Juni auf H-Kennzeichen. 450 Euro für KFZ-Steuer ist echt schon übertrieben, auch wenn rote Plakette.

The same way that a Golf 4 with the 1.4mpi engine will one day become a collectable classic

Looks like ride height.

Did you transport chickens or something?

I'm a sucker for light interiors. When cleaned it must look pretty nead buddy.

I posted Audi, Mercedes and this Citroen. I think I am still most convinced on Audi. I mean, I can still see them often on the streets, rust-free. There must be something to it.

>1.6
>reliable
In what dimension are you in? 1.8 is the most recognized engine for these things, those 1.6's are severly underpowered, unreliable at this age and have extremely expensive parts in comparison to the 1.8's.

Kind of. Had a wild west themed dinner and needed some straw bales for decoration. My poor car survived it, though I still have some leftovers in my vents though.

Yeah, light interiors are great instead of just full on black/grey. I love those hot-red from old mercedes too, they are kind of... eye catching.

top kek

thats a €1000 euro car in mint condition, you are over paying.

Well it will start gaining value regardless of the engine. The Audi 80 seems to be in that phase right now.

Depends where.

>Dingolfingolfingolfingolfingolfing
Grüße aus Franken (-:
Mein A4 von 1998 kostet 121€ Steuer pro Jahr, hätte fast bei einem 80 2.3E für 1000€, genutzt als Winterauto zugeschlagen, es aber doch sein gelassen.

ROTE PLAKETTE?!
you either get fucked over majorly or it is actually a diesel.

G-kat benziner haben immer grün.

the 1.6L chain-driven 8v is one of THE MOST reliable engines of all time. They are built to last 500.000km, but if something breaks they can't be repaired.
No they are not fast or powerful, but they are damn reliable.
I've driven the 1.2L version 3-cyl version of this engine for 7 years and over 80k km of just city driving and the worst problem on it was an ignition coil. Nothing else broke down. Not even 1 missfire.

Sensitive to oil tho.

Benziner ohne KAT, ist mir zu viel Arbeit nachzurüsten.

Looks like half the car was repainted. Avoid.

Just get a twingo faggot

Please elaborate.

>Benziner ohne KAT

oh.

bin es gar nicht mehr gewohnt, dass noch solche unterwegs sind.
in dem progressiven shit hole hier kann man nur noch mit grüner plakette fahren und katlose sind glaube ich schon seit ner ganzen dekade nicht mehr hier zulässig. absoluter WITZ.

Stuttgart zufällig?

umgebung

Bist du mein Ex?

Wie auch immer, Schwaben muss sterben.

Ich lebe ungefähr eineinhalb von München weg auf dem Land, da sieht man sowas häufiger. Ja, ist schon ungewöhnlich vielleicht, auf dem Land wo man das nicht braucht ist das aber noch zu sehen, wobei sie auch hier langsam verschwinden, Bin ja gespannt wie lange ich so noch fahren kann,

>nen KAT haben
lmao Leute

kein homo, also wohl eher nicht. außerdem komme ich nur aus der gegend habe aber oft probleme schwaben zu verstehen.

hoffe auf dem land noch nen guten alten benz zu finden, wenn die finanzen stimmen und werde definitiv dafür eine ecke weiter gen süden fahren.

b my gf
bitte sei in Lüdenscheid

>check local ads for Audi 80
>find one 1,8 for 300€, they're not usually that cheap, has plates so must be in running order
>1740000 kilometres