Has the Focus RS usurped the EVO for greatest rival to the modern STi?

Has the Focus RS usurped the EVO for greatest rival to the modern STi?

I had a pleasure of driving one today, and I must say it was a total treat.

Evo is kill, so yes.

They're reviving it next year tho

Let me guess, it will be just a turbocharged all-wheel-drive(FWD) shitbox?

Wut. They kill the Lancer platform but bringing back the evo? That makes no sense, do not believe.

>inb4 it's a fucking hybrid crossover

Gonna need a source m8

I keep hearing people bitch about the seat height, that it's too tall and makes it a pain in the ass to use the clutch. Is that true?

STi's biggest rival is Subaru my bad

This

The interior and seats are pretty much the same as the FoST so i don't know what the fuck those people are on about.

YOU GUESS WRONG BITCH

>manlets trying to drive stick

laughinggirls.jpeg

HA

*blocks your path*

Easily
The Evo is gone and a stock RS is already better than a stock WRX - Subaru has work to do

I test drove one a couple months ago, I'm 6ft. Didn't have a single problem. It was actually a lot nicer than I thought. I hate almost everything Ford, that car was good.

>FWD

Nice I wish I could drive one but unless I'm putting down a hefty deposit and markup from dealership I never will. I wouldn't mind paying the premium price for it but yeah good luck getting one at msrp

well, considering this thing has a chocolate turbo and a overheating rear diff, (even though the Evo is kill) I'd rather take the Evo.
I'm guessing it's not the lancer platform though, its gonna get based off the mirage, they have been spotted at rally events.

>>>>>>>>>>FWD

That's exactly what previous Evos were.

I'm fairly conflicted about this car.

On one hand it's a great, technological marvel that seems to kick ass and perform well on track and on the street. On the other hand it can't be dyno'd with power being sent to the rear wheels due to the insane traction control, has a lot of safety features that are undesirable to me, and attracts an... interesting crowd.

I'd say it's the greatest rival for the STi, but the STi is a dinosaur in comparison. This competes more with the Golf R, and maybe even an A45 AMG in my mind. At the price they are selling for, they're competing directly with premium Mustang GTs and Camaro SS in the States.

Anyone who buys a new STi is a suspect car enthusiast to me.

Why would you buy a new STi? The whole point of an STi is the rally/chav appeal, the new one has none of that

I actually recently looked into one of the new STi's, and while it wasn't crazy, it still looked cool in that classic WR Blue and the sound it makes is still awesome (as a big STi fanboy my opinion is really biased, though) It did have some nice features but most come pretty standard on cars nowadays that are almost 10k less than that car.

I wish I could find some old STi's for sale in my area, because the way it's going now, I'll have to kill myself with monthly payments to drive one of my favorite cars.

pic related trying to find a 2004 era one but they are impossible to find in my area and if I can I doubt it'll be in good condition.

god damn do i love a blue hatchback.

>stock RS is already better than a stock WRX
nigga you what

what's a chocolate turbo?

That's what I aid though. Anyone who buys a new STi is a suspect car enthusiast to me.

Man, if it's your dream then do it I guess. But you could easily get a C5 Z06 or either S2000 for less now. Shit, you can probably find a 996 911 for less than an 04 STi.

"the 'r' stands for retarded, so other motorists know to make way"

A turbo that """"melts in your engine bay, not in your hands"""", generally baseless claims by user(s) who doesn't care for the Ford hatches.

I know I can find all those options for less, and that's what is extremely unfortunate, it's crazy how I can get so many cooler cars for less than the price of some rally/race boi fantasy car. It sucks have bad taste.

>50k for a fucking Focus

>50k

where in the fuck do you live my dude, it's

The problem here is, at least the one I ran into , is that's enough to buy a mustang gt.

>Mustang

I don't really see what's so "dinosaur" - like about the STI, it's now a unique car in a segment where no one else does what it does. The Focus RS technically sort of does, but it has some significant problems with it's awd system that the STI doesn't. The STI is going to have a completely electronic dccd system next year as well.

It's pretty much been the same car since it was introduced.

Dinosaur as in the lowest interior quality and worst technology package with the oldest engine. It's changed relatively little in the past 10 years in comparison to how vehicle technology has progressed.

>implying either shitboxes can compete with the evo
16 years since the evo vii and still nothing can compete

The engine is what makes it a dinosaur, 20+ years of the same engine with a few slight updates ain't much.

>Has the Focus RS usurped the EVO for greatest rival to the modern STi?
>some shitty hothatch
>a match for the sti

THE MOST ADVANCED AWD SYSTEM EVER BUILT

Don't forget that the focus RS overheats on the track.

SAD

STi is old, but gets the job done.

Evo is still king

That's what makes it fun though. How unrefined and old it feels, I actually shill for Subarus because they still feel like "old" 1990s cars out of all the new cars on the market. Fords are close too though. Between those two brands, and Mazda every other new car feels like identical garbage.

$38,000 for a new 2017 STi isn't unreasonable when a 04-07 in mint shape with low miles still goes for $20-25,000, and a 50-80,000 mile 08-14 is still a $25-30k car.

The real problem is that Subaru keeps building the same car from 2002-2004 and only recently made something different with the FA20 WRX. It doesn't help the only competitor to it pretty much faded into obscurity (Evo X) and the new competitor's MSRP is $3-4000 more (Focus RS). Only recently the Focus RS's availability is improving so you're not paying $10,000 over MSRP for one.

How can you even compare? The cars are in completely different classes.

I can't even

I guess, I'm just not one to pay a premium for Nostalgia.

I have no issues with the older models, I just wouldn't pay $FORTY THOUSAND for the new STI. I don't think any one moderately well informed about cars would, unless they are an extreme fan of the brand who can't get a used car loan I guess?

I'm picking up mine tomorrow for $34k. I love the fact that the rs is here because it makes for a great discount talking point.

The Mustang has an absolutely terrible stigma attached to it but Ford is killing it right now. Both STs, FocRS, GT350, Ford GT, and even the regular stang is great even though said stigma means it will never be my car.

Me neither. I'd consider it, but I'm on Veeky Forums so I'd inevitably go for a used '11-'14 Evo X or WRX STi Hatchback for $10,000 less. Otherwise I'd get a Focus RS too and I'm a Subaru fanboy.

Like I said, why would someone buy a new STi?

>Availability (honestly the biggest one)
>Marketing (From speaking with normies, most of them recognize a STi or Evo but very few a Focus RS, Golf R doesn't even show up on their radar)
>$2-4000 less on average MSRP (comparing local dealers, and I'm assuming the Focus doesn't have ADM Markups)
>Already had a Subaru and knows what they're getting (IE a car that already has had most of its kinks/issues worked out vs a new model Ford is still trying to figure out what'll break, generally this person is already set on buying a STi from the getgo)
>Wants a car that feels more "raw" and older

Why did you choose a STi over a RS? I'm guessing a similar RS is $6000 more and the Ford dealer is less willing to negotiate or even has a markup?

I'm not him, but I've got price comparisons from dealers who do markups on both cars, the RS is way fucking more just from dealer mark up, they may sit in the same class, but I can't handle 50k for a 40k car just from dealer markups here in america, they aren't made here and aren't made in bulk.

Actually I talked them down to under MSRP for the RS but they would not give me close to fair on my trade in. The other 3 ford dealership i went to were the worst and actually really put me off getting a Ford going forward. The main reason is because I enjoy how the STi feels. The Subaru dealership also took off 3k the msrp, gave me unlimited powertrain warranty for life. Overall, it has that raw feel and such a large aftermarket that it wouldn't make sense to buy a hatch that costs more and would put me underwater. Also that turn radius and pedal placement.

>not just going for glorious Type R and saving enough money to buy a bike faster than any car you'll own

I also have two small ones coming so the latches for car seats were also a lot more accessible. The front seats of the bolster in the RS were too much also in preventing me from turning around.

>tfw normie lyfe