How??

How??

Was it god tier genetics? Diet?

Did people in the ancient world even get that Veeky Forums?

Whites are gay

"HOW" WHAT?

bazinga

is this achievable natty?

Chances are these are just idealized ideas of what a guy should look like and very few, if any people actually managed to look like that. Sort of like modern day comics when you think about it but greater attention to anatomy, but then again I figure the shitty statues with poor anatomy were common as fuck at one point and only the top tier ones managed to survive the test of time due to people preserving them better.

>dragging and chiseling marble stones all day to build the parthenon
>healthy full diets of fish and grains
>low stress lifestyle

of course there would be a few ripped mother fuckers in ancient greece.

>tfw will never be ancient warrior
>tfw will never kill a village and rob their women to be sex slaves
>tfw will never be a dick to my rape baby child while i raise my true son to be a warrior

best sculpture ever

Yes. Pic related, Eugene Sandow in 1897. Definitely natty because steroids wouldn't be invented for another 34 years

>you will never murder a man in his own home in front of his own family
>you will never rape his horrified wife or daughter in front of his body while she screams in abject misery
>you will never endure your new slave-wife's sobbing and mewling until you slap her around enough to make her stop
>you will help assimilate her into your tribe as a second-class member of it

Why even live? Ancient society sounds comfy as fuck.

Times were more pure back then.

You realize they sculpted muscles that dont actually exist in the human body right? Its called "Idealism"

Which ones for example?

>clean, modest diet
>lifting and throwing rocks, sprinting, wrestling, rowing triremes, boxing

to be fair most guys would never have looked like that

>to be fair most guys would never have looked like that
>N-n-nobody could ever be that fit, right guys ;_ ;
Lift a weight instead of a book for once, you fucking loser.

>peasants getting that fit
You go read a book

they ate humans

Most people weren't able to eat enough protein and calories on a daily basis to attain 24+ on the scale like the statues are.

Why so upset friendo?

They werent even built during the same time you retarded fucks

The ones you posted are very exaggerated.

Here's a realistic one based on actual Olympian athlete's body.

God fucking damn the Greeks knew the true meaning of A E S T H E T I C S

I've heard sculptors would base "ideal" statues on amalgamations of different models, e.g. the best ass in the city + the best abs, etc. Don't know if it's true.

I bet the fact that you couldn't make something like without some kind of base for the model to be a part of instead of just standing on its own legs always made ancient sculptors REEEEEEEEE

Imagine there is no chocolate or tomatos and pepper is prohibitively expensive. There are no books, scrolls are expensive and chances are you are illiterate anyway. Most work involved physical exertion and so did most leisure.

There is no nice Mr. Policeman either. You have to be trained from infancy as a warrior and be part of a close knit brotherhood or clan kind of like a gang just to defend your property and status. As soon as you start to resemble an adult male it was basically your job to be tall, intimidating, energetic and active, your family depended on it, hoped for sons and raised them to be like this.

We have millions of people nowadays but few train like this from an early age. Back then most free men were raised like this, even peasants had to have some sort of capacity to revolt as a bargaining chip to avoid being reduced to slaves.

The most physically fit of these men would end up being a sculptor's muse.

That's actually a replica. Try again.

>For a 200-pound male of average height, a 1.75x bodyweight squat, a 2x bodyweight deadlift, and a .75x bodyweight press constitute a well-developed strength base.

>Although this isn't considered "strong" by competitive lifters, it represents a level of strength that's attainable by 95% of male trainees in a few short months of reasonably efficient training on the lifts.

Reminder that if you can't perform the above lifts you are a weak faggot and need to put down the books for a few months and get strong.

>There are no books, scrolls are expensive and chances are you are illiterate anyway

Children knew by heart the Illiad, the Odyssey, and the works of the dramatists.

>those fingers digging into flesh
Fucking Bernini.

were ancient marble statues painted?

I have no idea, I hoped no one would call me out on my bullshit

Marble was expensive, they most likely weren't. The korai were, though.

The original Greek ones, yes.

The paint had worn off by the time the Romans came along however, and Roman statues were designed to be pure white.

If you google "painted Greek statue" you can see some examples of modern day replicas. But keep in mind these use technology just to find out the colors of some areas, we don't know if shading or such was used and washed away.

>Roman statues were designed to be pure white
No they weren't. Romans painted statues to be perfectly lifelike.

they must have gotten bored of it eventually and gone down to the gym

to become like the heroes they read about

This whole idea of illiteracy back in the days is wrong.

proof?

I just want to believe they were pure marbley white, I hate painted sculptures

Not him, but I've heard my professor say during lectures that they don't know for sure about the post-Archaic sculptures. They suppose they were not, because marble was indeed expensive, hard to transport, etc ect, and if I'm not mistaken they have proof that only the very first stone sculptures were painted, as they've found pigment left in the stone.

Well thats fucked.

It's simple to explain that, it's what humans do with holy / mythological figures.

Look at Jesus, from the brown skinned Semite - he became the tall blue eyed European looking guy.

>from the brown skinned Semite - he became the tall blue eyed European looking
Modern Jeebus could totally pass for a levantine tho, they don't all come in dark brown.

>I hate painted sculptures
That's just because faggots keep painting them in block colours. When they are painted properly they look fine.

Modern ones by people who actually give a shit are awesome.

Did classical sculptors use models?

>haha no guys I totally don't have mental illness haha why would you imply THAT

The flat ugly paint colors is only because we can only see the base paint that was used on the statue. As the rest of the paint would then be layered over it and eventually peel off, we don't have the ability to see what the top coats would look like.

All we can see are the base coats.

WHAT?!

I know. That's what I was saying.

No they just used their imagination lol.

They were short in nowadays stantard

anyone got an example of a properly painted sculpture?

They were painted, they find traces of paint on most statues, some are repainted. They look much better painted

>steroids
>invented

Kek

Statues were painted until a few hundred years ago, I believe. Once color became more available to people they stopped wanting the statues to be as colorful.

The injectable form is certainly an invention. Athletes don't just magically conjure more steroids in their veins after becoming aware of their existence. They need them to be properly synthetized and isolated into a vehicle suitable for injection or ingestion.