So, does it mean UK plates will look different soon?

or even go back to pre eu style?

stripe is not mandatory in britbongia now

am jelly as fuck.
the blue strip always looks faggy and especially fucks with the optics on classic cars.

No difference, I can't see us reverting back to the classic black-n-silver style, no matter cool it looked. The reflective white-n-yellow became an option in 1968 and mandatory from 1973 but I don't know if it was one of the many, many, many, many, many requirements for us to join the EEC , the EU's predecessor.

I believe what would change is that the little blue strip would be taken off or the EU star symbol is removed for the Crown or whatever

Stripe was never mandatory. My car doesn't have them.

I thought the stripe was never mandatory?

Just that if you wanted to drive in Europe and didn't have it you'd need to put a GB sticker on your car

EU plates are only for driving in mainland europe
and even then they weren't mandatory you just need to display a GB sticker

It never was my man

old french plates were cool, too

post MOAR pre eu plates

I've always liked the old British black and silver, metal-printed plates

they looked especially great on aston martins

Old Dutch plates were quite nice, with their white on dark blue.

Old Irish ones that were literally a red sheet with black numbers stuck on were fucking neat.

>tfw your cuntry's legislation wouldn't allow aesthetic plates

Lookin' good.

Bad.

Kill with fire.
Also
>square plate

Old hungarian plates looked really nice.

>different size than all the plates around you
>cool, ever

Also for clarification I'm not advocating conformism for its own sake, but it's simply ugly if plates don't fit the frame. The worst offenders are those god awful polar bear shaped Northwest Territories plates.

>tfw we used to have good looking plates but they got replaced with a fucking retarded mostrosity for no reason
pic is of the comfy old plates

o lawd, that brings back memories

There's an old volvo Amazon in my neighbourhood, still on old plates.

who gives a shit, m8

In Hanover Germoney, if you're buttbuddy with some paper-shuffler of that town you can STILL get an old DIN plate registered (normally that isn't possible anymore since 2000) and on top of it even one that has those special dimensions that are intended for US imports as seen here.
All this is literally not possible anywhere else in that country.
You can be KING AUTIST very easily that way.

Also, makes the butt of your car seem even BIGGER.

>but it's simply ugly if plates don't fit the frame
A matter of taste in my opinion.

Cars with a very pronounced plate mould are a worse fit for shortened plates than others. That Audi looks god awful.

Also lyl @ fitting the American rear fascia or trunklid to your car so you can get an extra tiny plate on special order.

Or even fitting the regular plate if it's short enough.

>Also lyl @ fitting the American rear fascia or trunklid to your car so you can get an extra tiny plate on special order.

sigh...

I know what you mean. I think it never looks right, a simple rectangle shape for a different-shaped mold. The old Rover 75 and the Jaguar X-Type were famous for it, at least there is no British law commanding the size of them, surprisingly, so they could make one that fits

Doesn't work with all registration agencies though, apparently they CAN deny your application if the car isn't an original US model.

i don't usually mind the blue euro stripe but it looks really strange there

Not sure if that's better or worse. Now the car has a giant yellow slab on the back.

It's a racing stripe now!

>Doesn't work with all registration agencies though
I knoooowwwww...!
They're COMPLETE CUNTS.
Really odd how all this is different depending on who's behind the counter that day.

>that pic
What the ever loving fuck.

Can you register classic plates in Europe. I know in most American states you can't firm Year of Manufacture plates so if you had a 1956 Pontiac or whatever you could fit 1956 Plates from your state

There are other blue stripe options, where one side is the stripe or it's a blue rectangle by the numbers. Or buy another number plate without it on.

Then you won't like the Jag X-Type estate then...

Probably varies by country. Pretty sure you can where I live, since I still see old cars on old plates every now and then.

You can in the netherlands

You can keep DIN plates in Germany if your car has continuously been registered with them since before the switch in 2000. That's it, there are no other classic plates here, they've looked like this for 45 years. It's not like the US where every state has fifty designs that are overhauled every five years. There's a special tax bracket for historic cars but it has nothing to do with the visual style of the plates.

Sorry, it should read you can do year of manufacture plate.

Wouldn't be progressive if those old plates were still allowed with new registrations in this progressive country!

In Britain, car made during and after 1973 must have the white-n-yellow "reflex-reflecting material" number plates but car made before '73 only have the option to do so. Besides, it was made an option in '68 and became mandatory in '73, so your old Austin classic might have the "new" style originals. But I don't think they have the option to swap them to the black-n-silver old style, once you have it, you have it

If it was up to me we wouldn't even have switched, but it's not enough of an issue to get all buttflustered about. At the end of the day we still get to physically shorten our plates in Germany, and that's more than most countries can say of themselves.

interesting effect those plates have.

here's another old photo, old DIN plate and all

Well and Taxi drivers look ... different now, too compared to this 80's photo.

>So many Mercedes...
Mind you though, I remember see so many Mercedes estates at a Tenerife taxi rank once upon a time ago...

I never liked how the characters were radically different widths on DIN plates. It's even worse with a few narrow characters squeezed in.

You like plates? OH YEAH?

WELL, FUCK YO PLATES

>not running /a e s t h e t i c/ 'serck' plates

>plates held on with gum
Only in Europe.

Now idea where this plate is from but I think it looks fucking cool on that car

t. dixie and flyover country - everything's shit, but at least we don't need front plates

Dutch classic plate if I'm not mistaken. Either that or something Scandinavian.

Even worse.
Most plates are just snapped into a frame.
I always hated those frames and rather just screw them on directly without that stupid ass frame (and those frames usually even have ads of your car dealer on it so you drive around FREE ads for your car dealer all the time (hands rubbing intensifies)

Dealer frames aren't exclusive to Europe.

Same shit here in Canadia (and the US), except all cars ship with screws for the plates. The screws are required by design - the screw goes through the plate and optional shit dealer ad frame, then into the bumper. No way to attach a plate without screws.

Good to know.
Next time I will ask the car dealer if he will give me 100 bucks a month for driving around his stupid ass name

Even worse, some will add dealer stickers.
stealerships deserve to burn.

Probably autistic as fuck but I enjoy getting the plates on the car once you bought it, registered etc. Screwing them in is part of the ritual. That snapping faggotry automatically feels like you're about to sell the car anyways in a couple days.

>local VW stealer uses a fucking lizard as its symbol for no apparent reason
>every VW in the region driving around with a fucking lizard sticker on the trunklid

Well, you noticed it. Seems like his ad works.

Those bastards.

Of course, there is a solution to this. When buying a car, make them put in writing on the order that the car must not have any dealership branding. Then, when you pick up the car and see that shit on it because they didn't read the docs, make them take it all off and rewash the car before you sign and accept it. If they refuse, don't sign and walk. When they cave, demand more for the trouble. Dealers are jews, just out-jew them.

that's fucking classic

>you'll never have this as a yuropooria

why was I born here.

ouch, right in de nose.

good advice.

I think it's some sort of aussie plate

perkele

beautiful

classic cars have classic white-on-black plates, your ancient fiesta isn't a classic cunt

>Being pulled over for illegal font
>"b..but it looks nice!"

>imblyign we have those "classic" white on black plates here

and on top of that they will also find an illegal spoon in the car

do not hoon, bin that spoon

bad doggos.

No wogs thanks

Just buy em off eBay for next to nothing fagtron

bin that knife, share your wife

Are these the new UK plates?

I believe it's an NZ plate