How do I get over my fear of working under my car?

How do I get over my fear of working under my car?

y so skurd tho?

Buy decent jack stands

you buy a mobile lift

Turn that fear into arousal

vanilla Veeky Forums comment

Put a wheel under it, a bunch of wood, whatever
Even if your jacks/lift fail, it will fall on top of something else and not crushing you
I work with my spare wheel under the car, it is as thick as I am so it should be fine

I was going to do this but then I lowered my car under all 4 jacks and noticed one of the jacks wasn't even supporting any weight so I didn't know wtf to think and got scared

make sure the ground is level and the jacks are placed right(and using the same elevation)
And as I said, get blocks of wood and pile them up under the car as a safety measure. I've worked under cars supported by cinder blocks because I had no jack stands around

Shake the everloving shit out of the car while it's propped up before you get under. If it doesn't collapse should be good

Get a lift

Other user here

How do i get over my fear to work on my car?
The endless fear of fucking up, stripping bolts and heads, fucking up a brakepad change, flush, etc

Buy decent stands and work with the jack still under the car.

Those things happen, but you learn and get better. Just have a go-for-it attitude and a friend willing to get parts for you lol.

Sell it and get a 4x4.

Learn where the jacking points, chassis rails and axles are. Always chock rear tyre when jacking car.

Invest in some good quality double pin type axle stands, rated at least 2ton.

If working on something that requires taking a wheel off, I like to have the jack in place, lowered slightly so the load is spread mostly to the axle stand but partially on the jack too. I slide the wheel I took off under the car beneath a chassis rail, so if both the other things fail, the rim should in theory stop me from getting totally squished.

If possible, get some quality ramps, rated much higher than your car weighs.

tldr; use your brain, don't be a retard, Use quality gear.

>use 2 sets of jackstands
>use 2 sets of wheel chocks
>use a jack
>use a set of wheels for back up
>use some ramps
>put some blocks of wood for back up

vs

lift

I work on mine and my driveway has a small slope. Just push on it once it's on the jackstands and if it doesn't move then you're good.

>I've worked on cars supported by cinder blocks

I forgot to mention i'm romanian

Or buy a shitbox for this

>2 sets of everything will cost like 200 shekels
>a shit lift will run you 1k + delivery and installation

You dont.

You also learn to check how other retards jack shit up before u try and help them put a carrier bearing in and the fucking truck falls on you.

Just be careful and avoid it when u can.

lifts fail you hydraulic cuckstain

plus all the gear I mentioned you can store in a comfy corner of the garage. Your cuckstain lift has to be bolted to the floor

OP, you're fear comes from an irrational form of solipsism. You inherently think that, despite more than adequate supporting methods, the laws of nature will be suspended and the car will come crashing down upon you. The sooner you realize that you are not the center of the universe, the sooner your fear will be overcome and replaced with confidence in your ability to properly suppirt the vehicle's weight.

I always leave the floor jack on the side I'm working on (obviously in addition to jack stands). So either on the diff or the cross member pumped only enough to put resistance on the hydraulics and with the handle all the way up for more resistance and if the car falls it might end up pushing the handle and give even more resistance. That way if for some fuckin reason the 2 or 4 2 ton stands can't hold up 3000lbs the 2 ton jack will save my skin long enough to gtfo.

Save up for a year and get a quality 5 ton 2 post for 2 grand installed. Or you can get those portable hydraulic lifts for 1000-1500

Cinder blocks aren't that bad an option. They support a lot of weight, don't move, and are cheap.
Jackstands are better, but blocks aren't a bad option.

They might - but 99% of the time its secured by safety locks which will prevent it from falling down, and most also have safety features that'll prevent it from crashing to the floor if one or both pylons fail while lifting

build a workshop pit

I never had that fear, and I've had a jack fall over and another break entirely when I was under them (both over a decade ago, mind you). It's a reasonable fear to have I guess.

Now I refuse to use anything other than jackstands.

Cause his car is so dirt nasty low
My (not daily) truck has a 5 inch lift and 40" maxxis trepedors so it just sits by itself

ever since I had a car fall off the jack while I was jacking it up, I get pretty nervous and triple-check everything I do.

>jack the car up from the engine cradle, pinch weld, whatever you have to do
>place jackstands on pinch weld, frame rails, control arm, axle, again whatever you have to do
>grab a wheel, push it using all of your body weight
>If you preformed the above steps correctly, the car won't move at all unless you're some sort of muscle bro who doesn't know his own strength
>whichever wheel(s) come off put them under the car
>if you're super paranoid you can leave the jack under the car with a little tension on it. i don't recommend this simply for the fact it will ruin the jack but if you don't care go for it

That's really it. I always worry about it too after hearing stories about people being crushed to death by a car. I remember there was a post on Veeky Forums a few years ago, it was a screencap of a Facebook post. Teenager wanted to stance his car, and he was working under it with the car only being supported by a scissor jack. Rip.

Tldr if you are knowledgeable about cars your fear is irrational

no it doesn't

oh how convenient you dumb shit, a hulking monstrosity that weighs a ton.

You are beyond retarded, and likely still live with mom and dad. You will reply to this with "no I don't I'm a civil engineer and I earn $160k and lived out of home since I was 16"

kys

>dat widowmaker
I think I'd rather use a forklift. That pic has atleast twenty things wrong with it, but let's just cover my three biggest gripes.
>scissor lift
>unsecured
>concrete pad too thin

something like pic related

you can dig a decent big enough square with a sideways staired entrance to get down, under the car. I have seen many garagists who do this, it is 1. safer than lifts our any other lift-your-car-mod, 2. you can install an oildrainage system in the flooring, 3. you can make the pit personal with utilities on the walls 4. you can put a bench to lie down in a comfy position and enjoy your cars perfected engineering

This seems like the most foolproof way. How much would that cost?

stop being a pussy you fucking faggot

get a pit
the only way you'll get hurt is if theres literally an earthquake

Get a diagram of your jackpoints, get jackstands and evenly cut 2x4s if you want added safety.

Jack your car on even ground, I can emphasize this enough.

Once on jackstands, shake the car a bit to see if it's stable.

Buy a rotisserie and work on your car while it's turnned sideways or upside down.

Try to keep from being a little bitch

Enjoy that insurance rate.

not the person you replied to but you know thats a real thing right?

Google Car Rotisserie

Oh fug, that's actually cool as hell. Too bad it looks like it's impossible to operate without a second person.

Flip the car over. New cars are required to withstand rolling over so you should be fine