Riders wearing wolverine/redwing/similar boots, how did your boots hold up in a wreck?

I'm looking into riding boots, but I'd rather spend the $300 on a pair of redwings or similar quality boot as I'm in desperate need of every day boots for my wardrobe. I understand motorcycle-specific boots will protect far better than a regular leather boot, but I don't have the money to dish out on two pairs of shoes. I'm wondering how well your nice leather boots held up against the road and if you switched over to a more protective boot afterward. Post pics of damaged boots if you have 'em. I'm spending my money first on a HJC full face helmet and jacket. The kind of riding I'll be doing is mostly commuting to and from work and around town, staying off highways, and eventual touring when I get more comfortable on the bike.

Other urls found in this thread:

revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-cafe-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-marshall-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-x-nashville-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/roland-sands-mojave-boots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>buying shoes based solely upon how well they perform after crashing
Well, at least you aren't naive

Work boots are not design the same type of ankle support/shin protection as riding boots.

In a pinch I've use combat style steel toes to ride with but the riding boots I have are much better and much more comfortable to ride with.

I can guarantee you red wings have almost no ankle support, and are only designed for durability and comfort walking, not riding.

HJC is shit BTW

Why don't they make a work boot with decent ankle protection?

I just don't want to have to wear a fucking MX space boot when I still have to get off my bike at my destination and walk around all day.

Not even Veeky Forums recommends Red Wing Shoes

>tfw to gay to wear gud stuff

i just wear work boots
[spoiler] or chucks bcuz i'm not an atgatt fag, and i've crashed several times [/spoiler]

If you ever plan on going to a track most require full gear including boots. I generally just wear sneakers now but will be buying a pair this summer. My Rocky work boots did save me some ankle rash from a 10mph spill

Steel caps are a nice way to lose your toes in a crash

muh iron rangers

Alpinestar

>has 300 to spend on boots
>doesnt have the money for a pair of motorcycle boots
how much do you think motorcycle boots cost?
motorcycle boots are designed with ankle and shin support in mind, workboots are designed with 8hr+ comfort and resistance to chemical irritants found in construction and workshops

here is what i wear:
revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots

you have to ask yourself if you want to trade safety for ease of walking afterwards. i walk around in mine with no problem, get a good insole and you are set. anything that offers shin protection will be less comfy than a lowtop shoe, you can try to circumvent this with shinguards.

if you want to wear a low/medium cut boots, you will not have the ankle protection of a full length boots, from a rotational force perspective. you cannot help with that no matter what. you CAN help with abrasion and impact with overpants and/or shinguards, but if your toe makes contact with the ground, your ankle is going to get wrenched

this could be a good or bad thing depending on the circumstances, as perhaps a broken ankle is better than your entire leg being torqued, resulting in a broken hip/knee, but in that case you are going to want sliders on your boots regardless, so that the friction is minimized and the boot simply slides instead of sticking. this is another thing that you are unable to get in workboots, which will try to "stick" to the ground instead of sliding, unlike a "mx moon boot"

seconding on anti-steel toe
in many cases, steel toe is horrendously terrible for you.

if there is enough force to bend the thin steel of the cap, ~~OR~~, enough force to torque the steel INTO your foot, you have the potential to slice off some toes, or even cut your foot in half. getting a thick leather boot would result in a broken toe/foot instead of having it cut, but also leaves you more susceptible to less severe events that end in injury. a brick falling on your foot, or something similar

tl;dr broken bone > no foot

Laces are a big problem. There's a reason that you don't see exposed laces on motorcycle boots: they can snag on pegs or moving parts, causing the boot to come untied or your foot to get stuck. You'll look real cool when you fall over at a stoplight because your lace is wrapped around your shifter.

Other people have pointed out that work boots won't hold up in an accident but no one has mentioned the laces aspect there either. Laces abrade rapidly when you're sliding across the pavement, they will break, and your boot will not stay put. Even if a boot could provide the sort of ankle support you need, exposed laces would make it pretty useless in a crash.

The fact is if you want to wear something that will protect you when you fall off your bike you need motorcycle gear. It's a competitive industry and if your pair of wranglers or your red wings would do the trick they'd be falling over themselves to let you know how their stuff is legit bike gear. But it's not.

(Since the guys who think work boots are good bike boots also seem to think their jeans will keep them safe, think back to when you were a kid and how often you tore holes in the knees of your jeans if you fell or slid on your knees. Now imagine that at 50 mph. Even heavy denim jeans won't do shit for you, and there are lots of kevlar jeans that look the part and will actually protect you.)

The closest thing I can think of to work boot are the Aerostich boots. With pants over them they look like regular ugly black leather shitkicker boots. You can sometimes find them used on ebay.

Decent gear is part of the cost of your first bike. For $500 you can get covered head to toe in good stuff from brands you've heard of that will be comfortable and keep you safe.

>Spending $300 on a pair of boots for wardrobe purposes
user.

With that being said, my Classic Moc 875s lasted over a year being worn 70+ hours a week on a dairy farm.
>Kept my feet dry from manure, mud, and water
>Didn't fall apart operating foot pedals in the skid steers like Muck boots

Didn't wear them in the winter time as they just weren't warm enough, let alone had any grip on ice.
>Artic Muck boots for winter, but the constant bending operating foot pedals destroyed them

>motorcycle boots with laces

>I'd rather spend the $300 on a pair of redwings
>but I don't have the money to dish out on two pairs of shoes

kys

they make all kinds of faggy boots for numales such as yourself

revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-cafe-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-marshall-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-x-nashville-boots
revzilla.com/motorcycle/roland-sands-mojave-boots

I wear Danner 8" east ridges. I'm up in Washington. They do well in rain and shine. Offroad and on. Made in Oregon and pretty comfy. Good luck finding a good boot.

Riding a '16 BMW F800GSA fyi.

I rode with icon boots for years and when I had to lay it down in an emergency stop my feet and ankles came out fine. I am atgatt and thankfully was wearing a quality leather jacket with armor in the back chest and arms, and my pants were also armored at the butt hips and knees. My gloves shredded and I got pretty serious road rash on my hands and wrists but other than that just some bruising

definitely go with these options, still in the budget and not terrible looking.