In rich person culture...

In rich person culture. is it a daggy faux pas to be driving around in an old model of these sort of super expensive cars?

like say in 2017. is it weird to drive around in an 80s Ferrari or lambo instead of a current one?

does it make you look poor or new money compared to your peers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fPS02EFgdfE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd say it makes you look more respectable since you care about vintage classic cars. Also richer too since those cars are an even bigger moneypit.

>rich person culture
more like tryhard culture. truly rich people don't give a fuck

It would be weird to drive it as much as someone who has a new 458 or 488 does

Basically they go to car shows, or something like that and maybe a sunday drive once every two months tops.

This. The new money will think you're poor and then get laughed at by everyone else.

These old cars end up costing more than a new 458 would cost once you factor in keeping them running.

Costs are obscene and vintage cars are for the truly rich.

This even extends to some of the muscle cars, 90's jap legends. Somewhat cheap to buy, complete moneypit if you're not prepared and have a stable income to fix them up.

running costs are not that high with classic cars, unless you mean complete rebuilt. A friend of mine works in a shop specializing in classic cars like Aston Martins and Maseratis from 1950s. Most of these are a bit cheaper than new cars, even in mint condition, apart from certain highly desired or rare models. Think about Aston Martin DB5 and compare it to an older but not iconic DB2.

Then again with new cars you have to take depreciation into account which isn't the case with classic cars.

There were about 5 decades in between the 50s and now with varying levels of complexity and operating costs.

Depends on the car, some ferraris, skyline gtr, old mustangs will rape your fucking wallet.

It's because the prices are all memetaxed, or require fab work which is expensive.

Sometimes you have to rebuild the car because its impossible to find a good one otherwise.

Buying a new car under warranty almost always works out cheaper than some of these obscene models.

If it's a fully restored, mint version of a true classic (80's and before), you'll get respect from all types. If it's a ratty, 5th owner 308 that you only want because you idolized Magnum PI when you were a kid, you might impress the hottest hooker on the corner but everyone else will just think you're an idiot or a douche.

As others have said, old exotics are a marker of true wealth since they take cash to keep running (not just credit).

this.

Most rich people don't actually care about cars unless they actually care about cars. It's worded like a faggot but if you think about it makes sense

Yeah, the only really rich person I know drives one of those luxury full cab F-150s

Which makes sense, he just wants to move himself and other shit from point a to b in comfort.

Everyone I know with a "sports car" makes sub 70k and is either compensating or retarded.

Of course I know some people with legitimately good cars who don't make that much, I'll even throw shit I don't like in there, like the new Corvette, but theres a whole lot of "sporty" manual 4 doors and whatever the new "premium" abominations Dodge and Ford are putting out in the very angery car moving at incredibly hihg speed department.

fuck me Veeky Forums I just want a testarossa so I can drive you through the night down the hills , I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear. To show you where its dark and have no fear.

While I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread, I think the sort of people who buy 80s classics and top-shelf JDM are a very particular brand of new money. The kind of people who grew up watching cop shows and playing Gran Turismo in the 80s and 90s (or at least wish they did) and aren't completely devoid of taste.

Who gives a shit, if you like old classic Ferraris more and have the money to buy and maintain one then you should do it. If you're worried about buying one because of what other idiots would think then that could be why you'll never be rich.

youtube.com/watch?v=fPS02EFgdfE

That is such an absolutely new money thing to say. My maid actually vomited a little when she read this to me.
>brb, disciplining the servants with my new switch.

Its cool if you know about the car and its history. if you do it to impress people they will see straight through it and mock you.

Don't buy a car for what other people will think of you. Buy a car because you feel like it's the car for you.

Get over your validation issues user. Self fulfillment is the only way.

ferrari? no
lamborghini? no

pretty much everything else other than the super old classics? yes

If you can get an E-Type and have done enough work on it that it works reliably and better than/as well as it did new, then you'll get no bad rep at all.