/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

update in 19 months edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12395638/r
youtube.com/watch?v=lZNcUjsc0G0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for "whoa, dozed off"?

Some migrants have arrived.

difficulty

reminder: robbed
strawpoll.me/12395638/r

I made my first magma piston the other day, it's about 160 levels deep. I feel quite accomplished.

Can a recasting magma piston punch multiple levels at once? I think that will mess up the obsidian cast but I'm not 100% sure.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

II isn't 11

A couple of questions. Why does everyone hate square tilesets/anything not ascii and therapist? Is it just a sense of trying to feel superior?

nobody actually cares. loud minority

personally i'm frustrated by the fact that there just aren't any good square tilesets. like, square tilesets seem like such a good solution but none of them are good - the aesthetics always end up clashing terribly because no one wants to take the time to really make enough cohesive artwork to cover everything in dorf

despite the fact that the default tileset makes things less aesthetic (can't have pixel perfect symmetrical constructs) i still stick with it because most other things make the game look even worse imo, although i do use external software in order to keep track and manage my dwarfs esp. once the fort reaches 50+

It's not as bad as some vocal people make it seems. Most don't care.

>Why does everyone hate square tilesets
Not everyone hates them, but they look squashed and a bit ugly when you're used to rectangular tilesets.
>anything not ascii
Non-ascii sets are pretty much exclusively hideous. The game just looks like too much of a pile of vomit with anything more detailed than text and numerals.

I like 'em. Mayday's neato.

>square
>squished
>pile of vomit
get a load of this moron

don't just read the bits that annoy you user

Square tilesets don't squish anything, user.

in comparison to rectangular they look squashed. squares are more horizontal than rectangles are. this is a fact.
read the whole line of text please.

for the record I don't mind square tilesets, but I can nsee why someone might.

>a square is more squashed than a rectangle
user, are you alright?

talking aspect ratio here man, try to keep up.

Sounds like someone lit the nonSquareman symbol, what do you need good citi-
WHAT THE FUCKERY IS THIS

>1.0 is more squished than 0.5

they're towers

whoa

16x24 or 24x36 is 0.666... the 0.5 ratio sets are too skinny.

There is literally nothing wrong with microcline

Square/nonsquare tilesets are skub. That's pretty much all there is to it.

"ASCII" (actually pseudo CP437) is standardized, clear and simple. Whatever pixelart pictures someone drew and then made into a tileset aren't standardized, aren't simple, and very often aren't clear.

The rapist is a crutch that some people don't know how to play without, and isn't updated to work with the current version of DF. Also, some people don't like its aesthetics and/or its effect on immersion. I've never used it and don't know all that much about it so I don't know much more about it beyond that.

Also, I would like to thank you, because somehow your post spurred me to finally try making a tileset. I messed up on my first try, but I think I know what to do now and will probably try fixing it tomorrow. It's nothing fancy and I expect someone else has already done the exact same thing, but I haven't seen an example of it floating around.

I like not using the rapist because it ends up with me unintentionally making a caste system. Since I don't want to fiddle with labors manually too often, generally once a dwarf has his labors set they stay that way for life.

>people don't use therapist

Literally how? Once you get a fort of 60+ dwarfs it is waaaaay too tedious to manage them withouth therapist.

When you are finished with the tileset post it.

I'm using the dfhack labor manger while waiting for the therapist to be updated.

I set and forget, if a dwarf doesn't have a high useful skill or moodable skill he gets a metalworking one (typically armorsmith because I like artifact armor) and then goes into the hauler and unmoodable menial labor class until he gets a mood. There's very little "management" to be done; by the time you have enough dwarfs for them to be "unmanageable" you have enough that you don't really need to manage them.

I don't play with 60+ dwarves since that would kill my fps

I still use (well, used) the therapist though

I've never understood this at all, the only answer I can come up with is that some people were simply crippled by dwarf therapist. I have no problem whatsoever dealing with hundreds of dwarves, I can give them nicknames, custom professions, and it's not as if you have to deal with a lot at once, unless in cases of huge migrant waves.

The game has several tools to control not only labor, but also transit. It seems most simply do not care enough to try and learn it, and would rather run into the same problems over and over again (i.e cave crocodile ate the armorer, 80 idlers).

>idlers
I almost never really have these. My forts are usually busy enough that all the peasants are always either building something, hauling something or sleeping. The only "break time" is when I consciously suspend the work for a while to give them all a break.

>Actually managing my dorfs

I literally just wing it the whole time. I've never checked thoughts or preferences, never checked what jobs their best at, and haven't ever used any in-game vanilla management tools, if they even exist.

I just dig holes, make workshops in the holes, and then order stuff to be made in said workshops. It all gets done eventually, so why bother with the details? You can always get more dorfs if one of them goes berserk, and if the fort falls, just make a new one.

*They're best at

best stone

The problem with this is that you can end up not being able to do certain things, and your only option is hoping that a migrant with the skill needed to do that comes and it has it on.

What you said sounds like a challenge run, and a tough one at that.

I mean, that's how I play it by default really. I spent years eating raw food until a cook came along.

That's one of the most frustrating ways to play DF I've ever heard, just relying on rng, you must be a masochist.

Well actually yes I am, but that's besides the point. Its just the way I've always played it.

I still don't understand how you can play like that, did you really think that it was the way it was meant to be played? Did you really not check if there was a way of changing jobs? Did you really think the game was just like that?

Honestly I just can't understand, if I was in your position I would just have dismissed the game as rng horseshit.

>did you really think that it was the way it was meant to be played? Did you really not check if there was a way of changing jobs? Did you really think the game was just like that?

Well I did gradually become aware of other options as I kept playing but really I was just too lazy to learn all that and was like "Either the problem will fix itself or everyone will die so its a moot point." And so I am to this day.

Well alright, it still sounds as fun as hammering nails through your balls, but if that's how you want to play.

I guess I'm just fine with not micromanaging. If I see I can't do something, I just shrug and focus on what I can actually do. And inevitably I glance back at the list of units and wouldn't you know it, I have a dude I want now. There you go problem solved. So long as you aren't invaded, getting the dorfs you want is inevitable. Its just a matter of patience.

Sounds more like luck than patience to me, especially if you're playing with a small popcap, since you could hit the cap and still not have dwarves with the skills you want.

Oh no I play with a 100+ pop cap, my computer can handle it.

That's good.

You will still have problems if you play as an extinct civ, so avoid that.

No one forces you to micromanage every single dwarf for optimised production.

Personally, I just add labours to some idle dwarves (with v-p-l, of course) if I feel that the labours aren't being done fast enough. It works just perfectly. Since I don't obsess over optimal performance, it means I can have a more comfy time watching the private lives of my dorfs.

>tfw you micromanage every little detail as much as you can
>importing the right food, materials, clothing and whatever
>keeping a small population so you can know each of your dwarves
>tfw you can't figure if you should put urist's house near a friend and a passing acquaintance or two friendly terms

am I the only o-one?

Best to play it safe and take friendly terms. If the RNG hates you, the passing acquaintance might as well develop into a personal grudge. Friendly characters stay friendly forever.

Ok, but don't expect anything worth waiting for. Also, I'm lazy, so I won't finish it until tomorrow at the earliest.

>You can always get more dorfs if one of them goes berserk, and if the fort falls, just make a new one.
My goal for my current fort is actually to test out if there's a limit to that.

If I wanted to play as an extinct civ, how would I get to do so? When I generate a world in which dwarves were wiped out it just won't let me play fortress mode.

My 'tism would get out of hand if I consciously allowed myself to do that. I'm bad enough even with the anti-'tism measures I'm currently taking.

Ever stand upright and look at the floor tiles a few feet in front on you?
What are they like?
Square? Squashed into being vertical? or Squashed into being horizontal?
Perspective, motherfucker

muh orthoclase

nigga i know squares are square, we're talking relative to df here.

>merchants visiting
>kea air raid just before the merchants leave
>shoot down one of the pests right above the depot
>wagons get scared to death

Whyyyyyyy?!? Ok, so how much of a problem do I have here and what can I do about it? I am now in possession of five wagon wood logs and a bunch of other merchant stuff. The depot says that there are no merchants trading right now. They announced that they would be leaving soon, but they hadn't started packing up yet. They've got a bunch of yaks, some are in mortal fear, some aren't, some of them have a couple of items hauled each, some of them have nothing. All of the stuff I sold to the traders is still in the depot, marked [T] in the item view (the view that includes building materials).

I didn't mean for that to quote

>all these (You)s
oh my

Anyway, if they're dwarven traders all the stuff they dropped is yours for the taking now, even what you traded; no real problem there.

a df tile is 2x2 as measured by minecart physics, therefore, square
And there's no perspective that'd make them "non-squished rectangles", you'd only get squished squares

we're having two different arguments here.
i'm saying that the square tilesets can look relatively squashed when you're used to non-square tilesets.
you're saying that the in-universe tile is a square, which has nothing to do with what i'm saying.

stop trying to argue with him. he'll never learn.

Shit, man, I'm the guy who originally argued that it was insane that a square could be seen as "squished" compared to a rectangle, and I have to admit I honestly never saw it this way.

I concede defeat.

That's like saying that 16:9 monitors look squashed at native resolution because you're used to using them at 1024x768.

>ezum Oltarzatthud has become a Elite Marksdwarf.
Apparently this does not mean attainment of a legendary skill level. Does anyone know what it does mean? He's a great marksdwarf and a proficient archer. Does that add up to legendary or something?

The golden ratio is 0.618...
Nonsquare is closer to it.

It means he reached "great" in crossbows. this applies to every skill: once they hit great, they're a historical figure.

Just go to your meeting area and look for idlers, and give them the jobs that you want done faster.

addendum: not historical figure, just the "elite" version of that skill.

Also that image shows it as 1.618 but the thing about it is that it's the solution to x-1=1/x.

post dorf

Maybe it's an isometric view at an angle.

Give me fun activities to do lads.
I have all my basics in order, and a full legendary military squad. But I am the only none Gobbo civ left in a whole Badland world. With a rich and fertile cavern to explore.

Wat do?

Whoa in my mind's eye I always imaged adamantine veins as like solid tubes of pure adamantine. But I guess that interpretation makes sense and is consistent with the idea behind mining ores in general.

kek

>tfw efeye died

>i'm saying that the square tilesets can look relatively squashed when you're used to non-square tilesets.
shit, sorry

>tfw no one will ever beat Star Zoo and get to see the secret animated cutscene at the end

>youtube.com/watch?v=lZNcUjsc0G0
This letsplayer came pretty close (by savescumming between each mission), but he gave up in the end.

That guy is an idiot and I hate him.

Bump

I always thought they didn't use torches in the fort and just scrambled over each other in the dark like mole people.

Isn't that why they get cave blindness and nauseated by the sun?

ill beat it one day

>they get cave blindness
They don't. On the contrary, they have perfect night vision.

I meant cave adaptation, my mistake

>torches underground
>25 or so constantly burning torches of pitch to illuminate a decent sized fortress
>fortress fills with smoke and everyone dies of asphyxiation

>not ventilating your fortress

>ventilating your stupid opinions

>being both bad and rude

>being both dumb and fat

>calling someone dumb and fat when you post on Veeky Forums

I hope the irony is not lost on you

Hey, I'm not fat, I'm just dumb alright?

>muh Veeky Forums
Listen hear, aspie: Veeky Forums has changed. This isn't a refuge for social misfits and nerds anymore.

It's a medium where well-adjusted, mature individuals can enjoy high-quality serious discussion.

There is no excuse to be a fat autist on Veeky Forums.

>Listen hear
You are triggering my sides.

Cry me a river, autsit.

I was laughing, no tears now.