Why can't I4bangers really go above 2.5l?

Why can't I4bangers really go above 2.5l?
Wasn't there some GM I4 that was like 3 or 3.5l?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_S76_Record
youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=x5Fx2FDjtqU
youtube.com/watch?v=rla9KU0m808
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There was a 4 cyl bus engine with like 8 liters of displacement.

>Why can't I4bangers really go above 2.5l?
They can.
>Wasn't there some GM I4 that was like 3 or 3.5l?
IDK but here you have an I3 2.3l.

Balance becomes and issue. Adding more cylinders solves this.

Good lord, can it fit in my Honda?

Most countries base their tax and insurance systems on engine displacement making certain sizes more cost-effective.

That's all there is to it.

>I3

No but you can put this 20 something liter in

Balancing four cylinder engines larger than 2.5l gets very difficult to balance. The only way to overcome this is by having fuckhuge leves of displacement or not worrying about reving over 5k.

some shitty porches have 3.0l inline 4s

i literally thought the thumbnail was some guy in a kitchen with a crockpot

what about V4s, OP?

That would be the 968 whose engine was literally the 928S engine cut in half

you can tell that sucker's old from the split cylinder/crankcase

>what about V4s, OP?
My motorcylce is a 1.1l V4. This particular one has an odd firing order where both cylinders on one bank reach TDC at the same time.

It's an earthquake at mid RPM, also in overdrive it's practically bouncing along the road.

I too remember hearing about an old GM produced I4 that was horribly inbalanced. Can't remember what tho.

my 'yota has a 2.7L 4cyl. Didn't porsche build a 3.0L 4cyl for the 944 or some shit?

Are you referring to the super 4 based off the iron duke?

See

The Pontiac engine?

Yeah, it was in some special versions of the Fiero and was used in racing

That may be what i was thinking of then.
Part of me wants to try driving one.

Most i4s above 2.5L end up vibrating and sounding like shit

They're rare as fuck but apparently an outfit in Kansas has some of the engines and parts to build one

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_S76_Record

Same here.

The 2TR-FE Toyota 4 banger that they put in the Tacoma (and some others I think) is 2.7L

It also has balance shafts though. In addition to the crank there are 2 gear driven counterweight shafts to smooth things out.

>ywn have a 46l V12 bmw with rocker arms the size of your fist

Didn't the porsche 94/968 have a 3.0 4 banger?

All you had to do was Google 4 cylinder and see that they can go much larger.

>V4s
Only if they're 90 degree V4s

Even a balanced 60 degree will blow itself to shreds in a low number of hours

There are tons of 3.0L 4 cylinders out there, mostly older diesels (I think practically every nip manufacture has one) and there's the 2.7L 2TR-FE.

the scion tc has a 3.2l I4

The 2TR-FE is the most common Toyota gasoline engine used in their body on frame vehicles

Hilux, hiace, Prado, fortune, light dyna, etc.

Normally the poverty trims

No it doesn't you absolute fucking retard

t. tC owner

This (and the 944 S2) had a 3.0l inline 4.

i have a 2.8 i4

>15B-FTE

4,104 cc

Detroit 4-53T
>I4
>2 stroke diesel
>3,4L/212 C.U
youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=x5Fx2FDjtqU

Holy shit no lol it has the same 2.4l as a Camry, didn't you lease one of these things or something? How are you so retarded

How are you supposed to jake a 2 stroke?

I think Detroits use compression release brakes but I've also heard that Jacobs has exhaust brakes specifically for Detroits

Neat, i know SAE has a paper about the function of engine breaking and compression release braking on 2 stroke diesels but it costs $27 to read so fuck dat

Because the holy grail of compustion chambers is 500cc.

>implying

>

no

>>

>pontiac
luh mayo

>has one more cubic inch
but none of the cred

>Why can't I4bangers really go above 2.5l?
the relation of the position of the pistons in relation to one another changes, so the center of gravity of all 4 changes. This causes vibration. The bigger the pistons and faster they move the more vibration you have.
There are some very big 4 cylinders, but they rev very slowly.

Kek 968 is a great car
The 968 engine was an updated design based off the 944, not the 928.
The 3.0 I4 was used in the 968 and was designed as an update to the 944, which itself was a successor to the 924.

>but none of the cred

Kek LS is more legendary than Hemi could ever be

3.0 was in some 944s

sounds like a dirt bike
>frei: on this episode of roadkill we put THIS tiny little 2 stroke in THIS 1950s pickup!
>fin: what can go wrong?
>frei: what can go right?
>both laugh, cut to intro PRESENTED BY DUUUUUUUURGE

There was no stock 6 liter 928 engine.

That engine never crossed 3k rpm desu.

This is true but if I remember correctly the 3.0 in the 968 was not the same as the 3.0 in the 944.

where are the memes?

Gotcha boi

because its 2 stroke it sounds twice as fast as it actually is rotating

Hemi fags btfo

Wrong. Everyone will remember your engine as the trash people would swap because it's the only thing that fit.

>426ci
What's that for, a bicycle?

Superior Chrysler engineering knows how to make more power without burning more gas.

The one that was literally a v8 cut down the middle

The Pontiac Trophy 4 was more or less half a Pontiac 389 V8, giving it 3.2L displacement and making it the largest displacement petrol I4 in a post-war production car. However with increasing displacement, especially in engines with inherent imbalances, the balancing becomes and exponentially worse issue.

The Trophy 4 was a budget solution through and through and there was no money for adding balancing shafts, so they tried to counter the ridiculous shake with absolutely marshmallow soft engine mounts and a slightly soft, bent driveshaft contained in a tube meant to absorb vibrations. Even so the Tempest was noted by reviewers for its exceptional shakiness, and you could infact see the engine sway about by several inches in the engine bay.

Even when balancing shafts are utilized their weight soon becomes so high that they start making the engine uneconomical.

want

That would be a v3.5 though

Mickey Thompson force fed one and presumably used it in lightweight class drag racing for a while.

W-what? That would be a v7 cut in half.

Imagine winning races then cracking the hood to reveal a 4 banger. Honestly that's just salt in the wounds at this point.

Kek the only good thing FCA ever made was the viper but it's engine is wildly inefficient for its size.

Hemi fags stay btfo

>Your engine is bad because it makes top tier power for minimal price and size

Yep, sure sounds like trash to me.

Stay btfo faggot

Why is that? I've heard this a few times and I am honestly wondering.

Funny you should say that because FCA didn't exist when the 426 was being produced

>muh modern hemi
Isn't a Hemi.

>it's engine is wildly inefficient for its size.

It's a wedgehead after all.

I'm saying it's the only thing you can pull out of a junkyard that makes more power than your 300k mile 4 cylinder.

lel, a junkyard motor.

Kek you must be poor.

I've done engine swaps and people don't just use the LS and derivative because they are inexpensive they also use them because they're great engines. They dominate the power market in terms of price, size, and reliability.

There's literally no argument

>FCA Hemi cuck faggots staying btfo

The rocket is the shit nigger.

youtube.com/watch?v=rla9KU0m808

>they're great engines
The only thing they dominate is mild performance. The only thing worse than an LS is a mod motor.

>GM fangirls think polishing a turd makes chocolate

My work truck has a 3l diesel 4 banger.

4 cylinder plane engines are pretty big (6l+). If you put one in a car would it drive like a diesel?

I can tell you it'd overheat in minutes without a propeller.

But isn't an air cooled 911 engine basically just a small plane engine?

Not really, there's a lot that goes into keeping an aircooled car engine from overheating but you could prolly put a Porsche engine into a plane if you wanted.

You need a combination of shrouds and fans to constantly keep air moving. Plane engines were designed around having a gigantor fan in front of them and flying around in ice cold but thin air.
You could probably make it sustainable after many hours of labor.

Even watercooled plane engines have historically had trouble staying cool in cars for some reason.

w8
isn't this a VR6?

Kek sorry user but there's no better way to high end hp

Besides the Hemis dominating high end HP motosports like top fuel.

Toyota has 3 liter 4cyl diesel engines