Why is Europe so far behind in the electric game?

Why is Europe so far behind in the electric game?

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/ces/2017/1/6/14177872/mercedes-benz-drive-pilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-ces-2017
theverge.com/2017/1/5/14174740/nvidia-audi-zf-bosch-self-driving-cars-2020-parts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they focused on diesel
car companies are starting to abandon it for hybrids though

they aren't as driven by competition, europeans will drive electrics just fine because they're used to gutless shitboxes.
in murica we have some minimums that must be met first for an electric car really needs to do some good shit to get attention

cancer

Less off street parking
>>>/Reddit/

During my extensive travels through Europe I discovered that many locations don't have access to electrity. Many locations in Britain lack access, and ironically Paris, internationally referred to as The City Of Lights is run almost exclusively on steam.

I think you mean why is tesla so far ahead of the electric game
Everything else is copycat vaporware (but muh technology demonstrator) except the bolt, which late to market behind the leaf (the best selling EV in the world)

actually there's been plenty of progress in other areas, tesla has just been over in the corner doing their own thing (to lots of success)

>european and japanese outlets quietly but intensively developing autonomous driving and optimal chassis while waiting on next gen battery tech to eliminate trade-offs and make e-cars more practical and economically viable
>elon 'the savior' musk sells barebones gokarts with a tacked on ipad at exorbitant prices while failing to turn a profit for nearly a decade feeding off investor's fear of missing out and general public's naive goodwill
where were you when that one smart guy conned millions into financing his personal childhood dream of going to Mars

>anything I don't like is /pol/

If you're going to post an electric car, please post one that looks pretty.

The volt is pretty good too, my friend has one he uses to commute to work, he hasnt been to a gas station since thanksgiving

Because Mercedes, Volvo etc want to thoroughly test their things before launching it on a big scale.

Yea Chevy is really in an interesting position with the volt.

No other plug in hybrid comes close to its battery range.

I recommend them all the time. The instant 300lb torque is entertaining and will catch your friends off guard, like a roller coaster.

>is run almost exclusively on steam.
And what made the steam?

The Rimac Concept One is such a fucking Based car

Why is it that Musk has an endless line of fanboys eager to felate him over the Model S when the Volt is cheaper, has had fewer problems, and released two years earlier. Why did the Volt get no fanfare? Because it wasn't pure electric?

>When loud nigger meets psuedo-sport economizer.
Needs more unsprung mass.

>Because it wasn't pure electric?
Probably. They also dont stand out that much. Cheaper electric arent that interesting to the majority of public imo.

Teslas stand out a lot, they draw attention to themselves. They also produce the worlds fastest 0-60 production sedan @ 2.28 seconds.

I think its also because Telsa is such a new brand, and its unheard of to see new brands suddenly pop up, especially to the market share they've managed. That in itself builds a certain hype around them. They're also relatively rare, considering how few of them are on the road compared to other brands. So its interesting to spot one, especially in less EV populated states.

Have you ever driven that piece of shit Tesla?

For a >100k it has shitty interiors, everything feels cheap as fuck, it's slow and feels like a fucking truck in everything but a straight line, power drops significantly if you're not driving it like Miss Daisy and all the software shenanigans piss you off or bore you within a week.

I'd be okay if the car would cost something in the 30k range, but here in Krautland it's more than 160k. Comparing it to an Audi, BMW or Daimler is blasphemy of the highest degree.

Also Tesla is fucked as soon as BMW starts rolling out electric 3series for a quarter of the price with equal power but better interiors.

lucky you, they're shipping a 30k car next year

FYI tesla's interior hardware comes from Mercedes

krauts BTFO

Is the first gen volt worth jumping on for ~10k with low mileage, or should I wait until gen 2 drops in price a bit?

Because you only listen to news about Tesla.

nuclear reactors

Let's just quietly ignore your correct analysis so we can shit post further in this shit post thread.

hurrr yurroop!

show me 1 (one) chinese vaporshit that is on sale or in mass production

Sold 8 already.

>electo engines
>gutless
But who was trains, trams, subways and trolley busses, namefag?

this is coming out pretty soon

He means EVs in yurop don't need to offer blazing performance, because anything that does is only attainable for their Arab overlords anyway.

Aren't we talking about europe?

i8s a hybrid tho

Behind on self driving cars as well, Japan also which is really weird because I would have expected them of all people to get to it first

whoops

America probably has the highest density of morons whose only skill is gluing python modules together which is pretty much all computer vision entails these days.

Was only passenger in model S but I like interior much more than blingy chromy shit in audi/bmw.

I don't think they are that far behind I just think they aren't marketing them as hard as Tesla or Google

theverge.com/ces/2017/1/6/14177872/mercedes-benz-drive-pilot-self-driving-tesla-autopilot-ces-2017

theverge.com/2017/1/5/14174740/nvidia-audi-zf-bosch-self-driving-cars-2020-parts

keep in mind those motors are massive and don't have to worry about battery energy density

You can't virtue-signal your liberal environmentally-friendliness to your neighbours or nouveau rich SV coworkers with a Volt.

Looks good BMW

Definitely doesn't look terrible definitely

European here, confirming this, I am powering the computer I'm posting from by using a bike apparatus

Volt interior is small. A Cruz costs half and in diesel form has a 700 mile range.

Late to the game? The Bolt shits all over the Leaf, 80 mile range vs 200 mile range

If anything the Bolt beat the Model 3 to the punch, and actually has an instrument cluster

First gens require premium fuel, but their batteries haven't really degrades even with hundreds of thousands of miles on them

Didn't Jay Leno get like 10,000 miles on a tank of gas in his Volt?

Everyone circle jerks over the 0-60 times of the top of the line Model S, when it can realistically only so a couple of those hard launches and nothing else
Not to mention you mostly see regular Model S' on the road with a 0-60 time twice as long if not more

It's shit

>why is no one else falling for memes
maybe they didn't skip math classes

Because electshit is snake oil bullshit for nu-male cucks from California that think using electricity generated from coal to drive his 400 pounds wife and his black son to starbucks will make earth greener!The future is with hydrogen as the Toyota had proven,electshit was failure in the past and it will be a failure today no matter what your charlatan sugar daddy Musk will tell you!

Germanfag here, can confirm. Most of the time we only have electric power if its either very windy or the sun is shining, (like today) due to the reliance on renewable energy.

My father is a automotive journalist in the Netherlands i asked him the same question

His reply was they are waiting for their own governments to start giving subsidies so they can profit from not doing anything

but then we have to pay Poland to turn our waste power into heat because the industry can't use shitty volatile renewable energy and storing it would require several thousand hydroelectric plants. this is what happens when women are allowed to vote.

nobody drives an electric car for the environment.
its cheaper to fuel, its cheaper to buy

thats usually the deciding factor to anyone buying a car, except Veeky Forums faggots who only have a hardon for 90s shitboxes.

>the future is using coal to produce electricity to create hydrogen and using more coal to drive compressors to fill tanks and then using oil to drive trucks to deliver the tanks to the pumping stations so i can drive my mobile bomb

fuck off retard, hydrogen isn't even a gap-filler in the transition to cleaner technologies

Why is America so deep into the vaporware game?

I believe so.
Volt a best

>Most of the time we only have electric power if its either very windy or the sun is shining, (like today) due to the reliance on renewable energy.

Do you mean that sometimes you have black outs because their just isn't any power? What the Fuck, I though Europe was supposed to be modern.

>Do you mean that sometimes you have black outs because their just isn't any power?

yep, would have replied earlier but the sun went behind a cloud and shut off my computer

Nigga, u dum

the only reason Toyota used fuel cells is because they don't want to ship heavy batteries. They didn't even solve the sulfur problem LMAO

>Coal

Nice dying breath, fag.

>nobody drives an electric car
You got at least that right!Even edgy fags who own teslas usualy have some prius or some other gas car!
Then did i ever said anything about "cleaner technologies"?It's about being able to go off-road,doing 1000miles on one tank of gas(hydrogen,charge),being able fix your car if something goes wrong,something can't [spoiler]and will never be able to [/spoiler]do!
>my opinion is fact
k bro
>sucking Russia/Irans dick
Mid as well go back to using oil.At least there we have options then it comes suppliers!

Lmao, the leaf struggles getting 80 miles range, even with the larger battery package

sweden here, can confirm. We have people running in giant hamster wheels to power generators. And they say immigration is bad!

>Implying
Everyone's been developing ev cars since forever. Difference is, as always America is ahead. What does the rest of the world have to show for it? Tiny shit boxes with 50 mile range like the leaf or that ugly as sin BMW.

Holy shit lmao, did an EV cuck fuck your wife or something?

>my opinion is fact

They are literal facts, not opinions

US law (might be a specific Cali law but Cali decides the path of US auto design) is that a percentage of total vehicle sales must be electric. Because Toyota has to ship vehicles, having empty fuel cells is lighter than having to ship full batteries over sea. It only exists because of this mandate.

The sulfur problem is that hydrogen fuel cells build up with sulfur with no practical way of cleaning it. In 4-8 years the sulfur builds up to make the cell useless.

Aside from the sulfur problem, hydrogen hasn't taken off because of refueling. Hydrogen basically has to be generated at the source, as it usually passes through solids used to hold it. This makes hydrogen stations much more complex than electric stations, as accounting for waste, more electricity is needed, and the machinery for hydrogen production. You also don't have the benefit of being able to charge overnight.

Because they are so far ahead in performance cars.

Also, a lot of their electricity comes from coal.

>as always america is ahead.

not an argument

Ever since WWII, America has been ahead in everything.

you can't be fucking serious about this, how delusional are you people? do you ever read a book? in god you trust right - instead of sience, like the rest of the innovative western world.

Like school shootings?

wew lad

europeans invented the first all electric and hybrid cars back in the 1800s how fucking stupid are you op jesus christ holy shit i bet you voted trump

Last I checked Europeans didn't have: stealth aircraft; advanced autonomous systems; a flag on the moon; universal quantum computers; advanced genetic engineering on a commercial scale; or even a manned launch vehicle.

Chinks do a better job innovating

That's why it's a question. How do you manage to get BTFO with such a starting advantage?

>i bet you voted trump
>eurocuck sees this as an insult

I bet you voted for increased achmed migration.

>join war at last minute
>shit Jew money everywhere
>take all credit
>kidnap German scientists
>more Jew money
>flag on the moon
>never go back
>never shut up about it

Are you speaking Russian?

You're welcome

>he still thinks the allies were 'the good guys'

Aй эм cпикинг Paшн. Fuck off Amerilard.

>this is /pol/

wtf

They already moved to small cars, bikes and public tranny so no read rush for electric cars.

>shows the US is more innovative than most of Europe

You're supposed to prove me wrong

You sound jelly, brah. Yeah, you mad jelly.
We were the first Western country to colonize the West. Now you live under American political correctness, can barely field armies, and wonder when Putin will shut off the gas again. You could've prevented all of this, the Spanish-American war was your wake up call, instead you hit snooze and became decadent and lazy.

>Europe is one country
Not even American education is an excuse.

>US law
>the Mirai is available for retail sales in the UK, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, and Norway.
Off yourself,Muskfag!If toyota need EV in the fleet toyota would have pulled "Aston Martin Cygnet"by pulling out the internal combustion engine out of Prius and shoving more batteries in it!

The only European countries on the same level or above the US are Britain, Sweden, Switzerland and the Netherlands according to that chart.
So yes, the US is more innovative than most of Europe.

>So yes Netherlands is more innovative than North America
Why are you comparing countries with continents, autismo?

I'm comparing the US with countries in Europe, the autismo here is you.

Moscow would be a lake right now if it wasn't for americucks

They did try that and it failed. Prius frame too small and weak for battery frame.

And it was still made to cater to California, a much larger market than any other country for Toyota. Of course they will sell the platform the platform in other countries with similar laws that encourage EVs.

Forgot pic

rav was cheapest base strong enough for battery. Had 150km range

fug

Yeah, smarter than average people in dense cities who mostly use trains and sidewalks were going to get self driving cars first

I was surprised when the dumber than average people who have to drive for 20 minutes to go anywhere were more eager to switch to them

>quote someone
>but don't actually quote them

that's not how it works user

What Toyota needs to do is take the GT86, give it an electric motor to give it more pick up off the line and provide power during shifts.