Fist dedicated drift car

I've been drifting mt GT86 for about 4 months and have gone to 4 drift events, and I've decided I really need a beater car to get better at this.

I have about 1500 bucks to throw around to get a missile car and weld the diff - what are some of the best options right now?

>pic related, saw an '80 NA 924 for sale with shit paint and dings but good internals, 52k miles- 800 bucks

bumping- only thing i'm worried about is reliability

A cheap 924 will be one of the most expensive drift cars you could buy.

Miata is always the answer - or a cheap BMW.

yeah i figured as much, aren't miattas harder to drift because of the short wheelbase or something? or is that just a meme?

It's true, but they're still cheap and RWD, and you can set up the suspension around that. It's not impossible, that's for sure.

>cheap
Where the fuck do you live? A shitty example here is going for ~$3k on CL because "muh drift missull".

That being said, 90's 'stang coupes look pretty fun in terms of drifting, and they're relatively cheap.

>I've been drifting mt GT86 for about 4 months

You done fucked up, now you realize why.
E36 dude

Miatas are a meme, seems like the drift miata thing is mostly an American thing. In Japan apparently they view drifting a miata as cringe worthy because they are mostly miata purists.
Shorter wheelbase may be a bit harder to skid but doesn't mean you can't do it, get a 1.8 if you decide on one.

Honestly, a GT86 is fine for drifting so long as you flash the ECU to remove torque dip and maybe do a few other small mods (not in the meme sense, in the sense of little to no aftermarket support existing yet) to slightly boost the power it puts out.

Honestly it's probably easier to learn to drift on something like a GT86 because it has just enough power to get the job done if you push it (and I mean really push it, the one I dicked around in basically required me to keep my foot down to keep the tail out because it just drives like a shopping cart in the mid RPM band).

are you joking? this is literally how takumi got good, and you want to give up.

think about it. you're trying to be Itsuki right now. He never got good.

you have to balance a full glass of water with you every night while you drive. That's how you get good. Real discipline!

86 you say? just deliver more tofu :^)

>in Japan
Stopped reading there

NB MX5
some cheap BMW
Mustang GT
Camaro (3rd/4th gen)

weld diff -> done

LS swapped Volvo 240

924s are shit. Get a 944

I'd say some old e36 or maybe e46. These are really popular beater drifters in my area.

Anyway, what tires do you drift your gt86 on? Stock ecos?

It's an anime, man. Even in Japan pro drifters have banged up shitboxes they practice on.

88-99 2wd V8 chevy c1500 with a manual. Trucks are hilariously easy to drift.

the 924 obviously has something that needs repairing/replacing and it will be very expensive to keep it running

just look on craigslist and find the cheapest manual rwd car you can, and find one that doesn't have too much shit wrong with it. you can drift an old shitty volvo until you get good.

old bmws are a good option too but you will have to do a ton of work on them and parts can be expensive

MR2s (2nd gen), supras, miatas are what I would go for but you're not gonna find a good car that runs well for 1500

G A S G A S G A S

D O Y O U L I K E M Y C A R

Can you weld? No? E36 is probably your cheapest bet. You could also get a turd gen Camaro or firebird depending on where you live, but the e36 is probably better.

Sn95. If you get one with a v8 it'll have a posi and you don't need to weld the diff

He's not wrong

This .
t. Middle 944 owner with engine sitting 10 feet away from car

I'm probably never gonna drive it y'know

At least it'll always give you something to keep you busy...

Ayy its that time of the month

S10

yup, it's not wise to buy a second project car when the first one isn't close to being done, but I know it'll be fun to mess around with

This this this. The fox platform's fucked steering geometry is actually really good for drifting. Also dirt cheap and dead reliable.

Lincoln LS

Despite the 50/50 distribution I've never seen anyone use one as a drifter