Be honest, how many of you have ever gapped a set of these before?

Be honest, how many of you have ever gapped a set of these before?

You get a pass if you converted it to electronic ignition. If you genuinely don't know what they are, do not Google them - I'd like you to post "I don't know what these are" first. I am honestly curious and on an anonymous image board, so tooting of anyone's horn (mine included) is senseless.

Gapping the contact breaker is easy, getting it perfect with the cam is fucking ridicilous without proper instrument.

Never gapped but know what they are and know what they're replaced with and why.

What is this said "proper instrument" if not your hands and eyes?

Who the fuck cares Chrysler had standardized electronic ignition in 1971. Points are dead.

I don't really like your overly aggressive keyboard warrior hostility, but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. It was introduced in 71 and only became standard on high performance motors in 72.

Either way, it was irrelevant afterwards.

And this this thread is really just a survey to see how many "check out my supra" "I k swapped it yo" type kids out there have sunk their clean little pristine hands into the old technology that existed when America was on top and Detroit was still on top of the world.

A dwell tach

Mate you probably weren't even alive when electronic ignition was standardized across Detroit let alone when points ignition was common

This is the same as me saying "look at all these kids who can't drive a Model T".

Your post screams that you just read what points were on a wikipedia page and wanted to share your new-found knowledge on 4chinz and try and act like an oldfag on some forum about how much you know about them.

Hi Dad. What are you doing outside of boomermuscle.net?

Mine looked like that except the breaker points were on the other side. Converted it to hall-effect but have not started it yet.

Wowowowow Veeky Forums really IS the lowest IQ board. Go back to posting lap times of cars you've never touched.

Holy FUCK

Thanks for confirming what i already knew.

Shut up the both of you. No one cares except you two. Just give each other your emails if you want to keep bickering

Nobody cares phaggot

But everything in the second half of your post was wrong. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't come with points from the factory.

It's no surprise that you never see posts about folks highly involved projects or rebuilds on here.

@16934343

>@16934343
Nice one. Still a better post than that guy projecting about reading wiki articles.

>But everything in the second half of your post was wrong. I've never owned a vehicle that didn't come with points from the factory.
Wrong.

>It's no surprise that you never see posts about folks highly involved projects or rebuilds on here.

My piece of shit is already electro-ignition, why would i need to continue working on it for 40 years?

>>I've never owned a vehicle that didn't come with points from the factory.

- t. luddite

>It's no surprise that you never see posts about folks highly involved projects or rebuilds on here.

Because blogfagging is cancer. That's what actual forums are for.

>Wrong
What? Are you telling me that I haven't owned the cars that I do? I'm not talking about doing repairs and maintenance, because that's all that you do apparently, but building tube chassis, fabricating suspension from the ground up, etc... things that would require skill.

I don't even see people post in here about body or paint work they've done.

>- t. luddite
What does this mean?
>Because blogfagging is cancer. That's what actual forums are for.

You're right. I've expected too much from here. It IS Veeky Forums after all. Lowest common denominator.

>What? Are you telling me that I haven't owned the cars that I do?
Correct.

> but building tube chassis, fabricating suspension from the ground up, etc... things that would require skill.
I literally have no need to do any of that and neither does anyone here and the people who do need to do it don't come here, so why are you here?

Surely i'm being trolled but this is an anonymous image board. There's no point to posting "projects".

I'll just stick to posting meaningless nonsense on here. I honestly forgot where I was. Thank you for setting me straight. The internet sure is a big diverse place, isn't it?

You basically just said Veeky Forums is a shitty board and I'm definitely not disagreeing with you.

>You basically just said Veeky Forums is a shitty board
You act like i made a mistake with what i said.
This is one of the worst boards on Veeky Forums.

I converted my points to CDI, unwound the points wire and wound on hair thin magnet wire for the higher voltage CDI system, worked well.

*fur

thanks bae

yw bby

Wow you took it to the next level winding your own, cool man. I've wound some motors but it was a loooong time ago. I messed with the breaker points and condenser adjusting and re-adjusting but I only ever got 3/4 plugs to spark. Ended up throwing in a Swiss 24v unit to be done with it, original coil though.

What that is?

Unless you own a boat with an inboard engine. Boats used points into the mid 2000s, if you don't know how to set the dwell on your points, you could be literally dead on the water.

1963 VW Beetle. About once every 6 months.

>getting it perfect with the cam

What do you mean by this? I did my 1968 Dodge pickup points (318 V8). You just grab the crank pulley and turn it while watching the cam lobes until you are on the peak.

I converted my 68 f100 pickup over to an electronic points system. Made it run way better but adjusting it was a pain in the ass. The supplied gap card to adjust it woth was shit. Took a couple days of fiddling with it to get the gap perfect but now it will be fine forever.

1st gen CORVAIR AYYYYYYY

I've done it but not any kind of proper way - the procedure involved a cigarette rolling paper.
It was for pic related so I'm sure the fact I used some kind of tool is much more than what the engine was designed for.

leaking oil from somewhere* AYYYYY

GM car points have an adjustment screw so you don't have to repeatedly open up the distributor to move the points assembly around to get the dwell angle right. You use an allen key or straight-slot screwdriver through the 'window' in the distributor cap.

Still running breaker point ignition in my old Pontiacs.

You turn the distributor rotor by hand against the centrifugal advance to the point where the points are open the farthest, then use a feeler gauge to set the gap, tighten the points assembly down with the feeler gauge still in the gap and then remove after tightening the screws. Should be good to go.

Who the fuck doesn't have a dwell tach? I can't even remember the last time I used one but I have a few kicking around still.

i didn't know what these were, but I looked them up anyway because you're an arrogant fucker

now answer my question. are these better than direct injection?

Tap igntion
Tap
Tap
TDC yet?
Almost there
Tap
You passed it.
FML
Every time.
Get angry enough to look for the 3/4in breaker bar that i only ever use to get TDC.

I've never seen them, but I'm also 18 and just getting into cars. From what I can tell from reading the first two posts though, hey go from they are what the wires from the distributor goes to and what gets the spark plug to ,uh, spark. I take it coil packs replaced these? Please educate me.

After skimming the thread, is this what's actually inside the distributor? Im genuinely curious

looks like it. now each coil can charge longer before firing - for a bigger spark. Which is good, because engines don't burn all the fuel at once no matter how efficient they are.

Yeah you can do it that way but it's a lot easier to use a dwell meter to adjust and dwell time is what you're really aiming for anyway.

I've set points and got them dialed in perfectly never setting dwell. Someone told me "if you gap them correctly, you don't need to worry about dwell" istthere truth to this other than in mine and his experiences?

On my little fiat I took out the whole distributor to get them perfect and then put it back in and did the timing.

Modern cars still have contact breaker points, they're just very small and ultra reliable as they no longer do any heavy lifting.

>implying you can even weld MIG

>I am honestly curious and on an anonymous image board, so tooting of anyone's horn (mine included) is senseless.
What?
You want to know if anyone still drives an old car with a shit ignition system? Is this a test to see how "authentic" the "enthusiasts" on this board are?
Points have been outdated since the 1970s, they are irrelevant.

Have you considered suicide?
Its the only known cure for being a massive faggot.

>Veeky Forums really IS the lowest IQ board
indeed.
majority Veeky Forums keep talking stuff about how awesome a car was based on the paper, info & etc but have no single clue or idea how to fix shit, at all.
only a handful people have real mechanic skills; gets their hand dirty to fix shit back into their tracks & guess what? those smartass keep talking trash to mechanics, claimed they're better than mechanics.

did meet a d/o/uchebag smartass irl. shitting on me who was mechanic since young age & guess what happened one day? BAM. a falcon punch to his face. bloody face & shattered glasses on him as a result.
met his parents after that & pay $100 for that fucked up bastard. never ever meet him again.
10/10 will do that again & pay another $100 dollar, as those smart ass only worth that value & it's really good to kick those shithead back to where they belong.

from /m/. good day for actual aut/o/motive mechanics out there.

Learned how on my 1972 Beetle. Can still do it with my eyes closed

>did meet a d/o/uchebag smartass irl. shitting on me who was mechanic since young age & guess what happened one day? BAM. a falcon punch to his face. bloody face & shattered glasses on him as a result.
I hope this is bait or something, what the fuck is wrong with you?

i don't care, i'm not a mechanic.

Of course I can mig/tig. I want to learn oxy acetylene.

Why do you act like welding is some crazy skill to have when people slave away doing it for $13 an hour?

I'm sure I'm better with a welder than you are, and I'm not even great. People who can actually get shit done don't touch this forum AKA I doubt you even own a welder

Pic related: do something other than change your oil for once.

>his greatest automotive accomplishment is knowing what points are
>so proud of himself he makes this thread

no, not bait. falcon punch turns out a pretty bad accident as punching force actually directed to cheeks, but somehow it landed right on his glasses face. shattered just like rear window glasses after impact.
more like what the fuck is wrong with him, trying to provoke actual experienced mechanic with his so called experienced-by-paper talk; total-clean-hand with addition of smart ass & disrespectful attitude.
provoking mechanic in any way is a total no-no irl. it's a life-guaranteed fucked up situation.
he's really good for the first impression actually, but slowly turned into bad & good-for-nothing talkers in the end. things turn sour in a friendship term & it's not what i want it to be happen.
it's the matter of time to be happen anyway & no matter what, damage have been done. at least his both sight still intact.
hope he's not causing second 'victim of falcon-punched face' case in his life again, as his ex-friend's advice. because shattered glasses on face is pretty bad situation no matter how you look into.

i'm out of here & back to /m/. hope you aut/o/motive guys have a good day & /mo/ April Fool's joke is really unexpected.

>experienced-by-paper talk; total-clean-hand with addition of smart ass & disrespectful attitude.

This describes
As well as 99% Of This board perfectly

I for one, enjoy my mechanical ignition. Doing periodic tune ups is fun.

People like me who actually do work on cars for a living don't come to boards like this to impart knowledge on clueless posters, it's for entertainment. People who don't know what they are talking about also come here for entertainment and not to learn, so it's a waste of everyone's time to try to talk sense into them. If you aren't enjoying your first day on the board because people aren't amazed that you know what points are I suggest one of the hundreds of automotive forums that exist on the internet, and not a subsection of an anime imageboard.

I met the guy that invented the Ford Duraspark ignition system. Ford gave him a plaque with a gold plated ignition box when they shipped their millionth unit. He's a cool old dude.

>experienced-by-paper talk; total-clean-hand with addition of smart ass & disrespectful attitude.
what did you expect?

much worse gunna happen to you dogfucker.

>Veeky Forums really IS the lowest IQ board
proceeds to boast about how he was unable to cope when faced with a verbal argument and resorted to physical violence.
Pretty sure this guy has the lowest IQ on the whole board.

Talk shit get hit

Fortunately he's not a mechanic and is just fucking with his shitbox in his backyard. When you are a mechanic there's these things called "customers" who always seem to know more than you possibly could because they read about it for 5 minutes on the internet. If you punch them in the face every time they say something stupid it's very hard to keep a sustainable amount of work.

Explaining simple concepts to automotively inept people is a big part of a techs job. Nobody is going to do that all day, come home, do the exact same thing without getting paid, to even dumber people with a magnified dunning kreuger effect brought on by anonymous posting. Doesn't mean there aren't a handful of knowledgeable people on the board.