What should I know before buying one of these?

What should I know before buying one of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-750-7er-benzin-violett-6556384b-cbea-e865-e053-e250040a6fdd?cldtidx=7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

they'll be worthless within a year

It's called a Punto because you punt-o the tyres every time it breaks down.

Dead easy to work on.
Major components are fairly reliable, but quality of smaller parts is shite (half the center console lights and fan controls no longer work properly in my 07, and one of the door handles snapped off but it's an easy fix)
The cars and parts are cheap, and they suffer from horrible depreciation.

It's an extremely easy-to-drive car, it has a good steering and it's not as fragile as everyone says but that's it, just a compact car, nothing more nothing less

The depreciation is why I am looking at them used, I can get an '11 punto with 80k on it for the same price as an 05 polo with 140k on it.

Yeah, so long as you're buying 2nd hand it's a very good choice.
People might say it's less reliable (mine has given no major trouble) than a fiesta or yaris,
but it's also half the price of one
What engine are you looking at?

>What should I know before buying one of these?

you can get an older BMW 5, even 7 series, or a Mercedes Benz S-class, E-class etc. for a fraction of the price.

youre literally paying more money for a shittier car just so you have a fucking bluetooth radio. i will never understand why people choose to buy such things.

running costs

>Mercedes Benz S-class
Just don't get anything post w140. Just don't. Unless garden ornament is what you want.
Also
this.

Certain parts are designed pretty fucking REEE-worthy, changing brake pads for instance is way more of a pain in the ass than it has any right to be.

>t. Doesn't work on fiat vehicles in large numbers
If you must waste your money on one of these things (why do you think they're cheap) DO NOT get a diesel, DO look for rust, even on 5 year old cars

Nothing quite as expensive as a cheap bimmer.

Bravo and the Grande Punto are actually quite reliable.

okay im glad you said that.
tell me, what does one of those things cost?
in germany, about 13k new. 13 fucking k.

lets dew the math: i could buy a BMW 7 series with a V12 engine and far bayond 300hp on the rear axle. they start at around 3k here, lets take a REALLY REALLY good one in amazing condition for 7k, link related:

autoscout24.de/angebote/bmw-750-7er-benzin-violett-6556384b-cbea-e865-e053-e250040a6fdd?cldtidx=7

now thats the V12 version, the V8 is cheaper and uses less fuel.
thats a difference of six-thousand-euros. SIX THOUSAND.

alright, running costs: you now are either stuck with a Punto for 13k that uses less fuel (but not nothing either) and that requires less maintanance.
>no fucking space
>loud on the Autobahn/highway
>not even compareable regarding comfort
>weaker
>slower
>small trunk
>looks shitty (don't even start with looks are subjective, because you know its true)
>small ass engine
>its a fucking fiat

or, you buy the BMW (which is just one of the thousands of cars you could buy that are bigger, cheaper etc. than the fiat)
>you sit in it like A GOD
>a few years ago, this was reference. presidents used that car, the richest of the rich
>you have so much space in it you can literally put a matress in the trunk ans use it as an RV
>endless amounts of power
>250kmh on the autobahn feel like chilling in front of your fireplace in the living room
>this car has EVERYTHING. heated seats, rain sensors, electrical seat adjustment, an amazing sound system etc.
>5 people can sit in it in absolute comfort, including baggage
>A V12 ENGINE, the PINNACLE OF ENGINEERING, smooth and powerful like some sort of Tiger or something

...aaand 6 thousand euros. SIX THOUSAND you can spend on maintanance, fuel, hooker etc, and you STILL spent LESS than what you would have spent for the Fiat. how long can i do basic maintanance and the difference in fuel for 6k? goddamn, its probably longer than what that fiat would have lasted.

I changed the pads on mine, when my only previous wrenching experience was an oil change. Didn't think they were particularly difficult, what makes them such a pain in the ass?
I work my punto, which is what op is asking about, it's a very simple and easy car to work on.

7s, especially 750's are cheap for a reason. Shitty transmissions and electronics are terrible

This.

This.

>require more maintanance
i didnt even question that. you still have a car that is 10000x BETTER than the fiat, for LESS money. you have 6k to throw on maintanance and you drive a luxury barge with every luxury shit you can imagine.

Maybe they changed it on the Evo, but the one I changed the pads on had the bracket which holds them attached to the caliper. Then there were two clips per side which had to be bent outwards in order to fit the pad, but they bent in such a way that they basically prevented the pad from seating properly. Get one side seated and there's not enough room for the pad to slide into place on the other side, push too hard and the pad slips off the bracket on one side, push in the wrong way and the little clip gets unseated.
Took way more time, swearing and effort than it should've.

Well to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the fiat outlasts that thing for the same money.
Very little can go wrong with the fiat. Everything can and will go wrong with the BMW

Fucking hell, have you ever owned a car?
One major repair on your 7k v12 is going to cost the remaining 6k you supposedly saved, not to mention the extra tax and insurance on a 5 liter bmw.

Oh yeah, I remember that bracket.
Sure, it made it more complicated than necessary,
but I didn't have much difficulty getting the pad into it.

multiair engine is shit and unreliable, t-jet is bretty gud, dont get a diesel. quite roomy interior, terrible transmission feel, slow throttle input. battery will die on you in the most unexpected moment. might have alternator issues/squeaky belts. look for rust and minor oil leaks or torn cv joint covers. suspension isnt the best, so look for uneven tire wear that would indicate negative camber. also might run into power steering issues sometimes. center console lights die out almost all the time.
dont waste more than 7k on it.

t. fiat dealer

I would get the polo.

yeah i drive an E class from 1991 i bought for 1800€ which has cost me less than 300 bucks in maintanance and repairs for the last tiem i owned it, which was around 50000 kilometers now.

you didnt SAFE them, you still own them, and you can use them for maintanance on the BMW. alright, lets say the worst shit that happens, your tranny dies and whatnot. first off, i dont think it will be 6k, but even if: you still drive a V12 7 series BMW for the same price as a tiny ass fiat. and if thats too hot for you? get a 5 series with the inline 6. they are bulletproof, cheap, and luxurious as FUCK. and cost less. a lot less.

i think you cant say that with cetrainity, but i do see your point. still, for how long would you own the fiat? dont you think the gain in driving quality and comfyness is it all worth? yeah, maintanance is a thing, and gas. but you pay more than DOUBLE for a smaller, shittier car, that would never bring you the same joy.

Insurance though.

Just for information, if you manage to blow the whole transmission, a new 5HP30 is around 5.5 grand. Add labour up on that and we're past 6k territory

I really hope youre not in germany, because that is 50 year old turk with mustache tier here.

> if you manage to blow the whole transmission
why would i do this
>a new 5HP30 is around 5.5 grand
why would i buy a NEW one. i would take it from some junkyard car, or buy used.

get the 5 series then, e class, whatever. but not a fucking tuna can for 13k.

The solution for this is to file the edges of the pad mount down slightly.
I've got an Alfa with the same clips and some pads fit perfectly, some need a little bit of filing

Buying a luxury sedan for the price of a punto is never gonna end well. It might run for a couple of years but youre totally fucked when something breaks. Working on it yourself is not an option because theyre so complicated and parts are expensive as shit.

Yeah, that's basically what we ended up doing. Take a file to the pad's mounting points, and slightly bend the new clips to make the fit a little easier.

nobody likes a BMW driver

stop talking out of your fucking ass. also, im not buying it for the price of a punto - im buying it for half of that.

>Working on it yourself is not an option
bullshit. i even have a buddy now who uild his own small shop with a jack etc, so he can fix his (cheap as fuck and extremely luxurious) 90's audi A8 hes driving since years now without major problems.

see, maybe thats the difference between you and me.
i want to buy a car to drive, a car i can enjoy, a car thats extremely comfortable and like a second home to me, something i feel good in. you want to drive something that makes you look a certain way.
and for your informaton... a punto will neither give you anything from column A, nor anything from column B.

btw, no turk in germany drives these. turks in germany buy new S-class coupes, new 7 series BMWs. they have the money, mother merkl is caring good for them and even gives them extra cash for every babby they push out.

That you would do better buying from literally anyone else

ACSHULLY. I daily a 750 E38 BMW. My insurances are way lower than my mates, over twice as low infact. He drives a Honda Civic.

These cars are cheap for a reason. Previous owner couldn't or didn't want to maintain it. Every single time

>turks with new S-Class
what kind of shithole do you live in? Around here all the old 5-Series and mercs are driven by old turks, which is why i would never buy one since theyre always in horrible condition.

I guess it depends where you live, anything over 150hp is a nogo here for a young guy.

>turks with new S-Class
Germany.
they usually have the S class coupes or BMW SUVs.

13 for a new one that will last you a while. Cheep parts, cheep maintanance, low fuel consumtion, a lot less in fact.
You are way too one sided. No reason to dis a car just cuz you don't like it. A Punto is a way better choice for family that doesn't have a great income, not that you would know, you probably earn my mounthly salary in just one day cuz of my shitty country.
With all those things in mind i do agree that the BMW is a better car, faar better infact but i believe that for some a Punto is the way to go.

My insurance quote is about £6k a year in insurance for pretty much any BMW. Punto will only cost me £2k a year in insurance.

Damn bruh, it's like 400€ for my V12 which is like fuckall pounds probably