Engine braking: A dick move or nah?

Europeans need not apply. Do you guys feel like dicks when you engine brake around other cars? Most Americans drive automatic and cannot de·cel·er·ate as fast, leaving them in an awkward state of tapping the brake behind you 50 feet before the stoplight. Also the deceleration without brake lights tends to catch people off guard.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FnXLZg_O1rk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release_engine_brake
youtube.com/watch?v=qocMoTOVn6Q
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release_engine_brake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I might do it to help my braking especially if it needs to be a fast stop or I know that I haven't replaced my pads or rotors in a while. If I do it I usually only do it for one or two downshifts so I don't look like the complete jackass that feels the need to engine break from 6 thru 1 so everyone can hear his stock exhaust.

it's illegal in my area

should be illegal everywhere with how much noise it causes. you're an asshole. there's no way around it.

i cannot help but break the rules
you are an idiot of the grandest order
sincerely europe

Are you talking about jake brakes or engine braking as in downshifting and slowly letting the clutch out to slow down?

jake braking because I speak english.

I'd say fuck them. If they wanna get anywhere near me, no reason to waste my brakes so some minivan mom, who can't drive at all, doesn't have to awkwardly slow down.

posting in a retard thread

What the fuck am I reading, holy shit

Any driver that uses the car in front of him as a speed reference point is stupid and dangerous.

You have eyes, you can look further, watch the road and plan your speed and trajectory accordingly.

Also if you're a shit driver that tailgates other cars and risks rear-ending them if they brake abruptly do everyone a favour and take the bus.

>Most Americans drive automatic and cannot de·cel·er·ate as fast
How so? I drive a CVT and it is very capable of downshifting to engine brake.

One of my rear brake lines leaks fluid faster than I can put more in so I have to manually shift my column shifted slushbox down to engine brake everywhere. Shit's sketchy yo.

Replace your brake lines, you retarded tripfag.

>land of the free

fucking give me a minute

I had an automatic and I used to put it in "3" or "2" for engine braking and also N for coasting.

If you think your automatic gearbox only consists of D, R and P you probably shouldn't be on the road.

how do you engine brake properly? I usually
push in clutch
select lower gear
let go of clutch really fast
but that makes the car get all jerky and lurch forward like it's in pain, isn't there a smoother transition?

Give the car gas while you're letting off the clutch.

You fucking idiot

youtube.com/watch?v=FnXLZg_O1rk

That's not really engine braking though

You should release the clutch slowly instead of quickly

hey, good video so far. thanks for posting.

Clutch In
Shift to 2nd Gear
Rev the car
Clutch Out

I did that before but someone said I was slipping the clutch and harming it.

I already know how to rev match you fucking moron, that's not the same as engine braking

you're slipping it by not bringing the rpm up first for a smoother link.

this vid is good. it explains all

none of this is engine braking. that's your problem.

engine braking is when you release all the air in the cylinders.

You don't want to engine brake. You want to play with your clutch.

and your shitty comment gets thrown right in the trash, fuck off

destroy your gears then. kek

>mfw you are an arrogant nigger and you can't even watch what's been placed in front of you.

So what's the difference between engine braking and clutch braking?

Rev match before you let out the clutch. Then let the motor decelerate. You are just using the deceleration not the clutch as a brake u you idiot.

I already know how to rev match I didn't know that rev matching in a lower gear would cause engine brake because when I tried before it felt like it wasn't braking at all or quick enough. Sure if you have a mile to brake then I guess use engine braking but other than that they created brakes a reason.

Doesn't apply to passenger cars

thanks I've only been doing it that way for about a day, because of a YouTube video I watched, but now I know that correct way. Also
>u you
>calls me idiot
please stop

>engine braking is when you release all the air in the cylinders.
literally what

>they created brakes a reason.
you're learning

regardless, what's been described in OP as a way to roll to a stop at an intersection is actually an advanced technique used when racing to take corners well. If you can do it in traffic, you're a pretty good driver.

Not him, but you're being a faggot by over complicating things. A simple one or two line explanation would have been sufficient.

sorry you're right.

>You don't want to engine brake. You want to play with your clutch.
Engine braking is when you downshift and allow the car to slow itself. What is this "clutch play" you speak of?

>engine braking
>advanced technique
since when is letting off the gas an advanced technique

Always. The timing is of the utmost importance, and will make or break any lap times.

that's wrong though

truckers engine break by opening the exhaust valves after the compression cycle en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release_engine_brake

engine breaking is NOT downshifting

The only reason to engine brake and not use the actual brake is if you are simply slowing down due to slow traffic or you are anticipating the light turning green before you reach the intersection.

The reason you are down shifting is to be in the correct gear to accelerate when able and you are slowing down to give time for the light to change or the slow person to turn out of your lane.

Engine breaking is a solution to both which is why you do it.

There is no other logical reason to engine brake because actual brakes are easier and cheaper to replace than the clutch.

Now if you just want to mash the throttle when downshifting to hear your exhaust or some other stupid boyracer bullshit ok. Thats a sunjective reason to do it, just know that 90% of the people around youwill think you are a douche.

Pic somewhat related

Maybe to trucker fags but 99% of the general population that has heard the term engine breaking is referring to slowing the car down using the engine and not the brakes.

i make a sport of trying to use the brakes as little as possible so i engine brake like a motherfucker

>drive manual all my life
>have manual as a DD
>buy pigfat family car
>automatic
>smart enough to shift in lower gear and cut off the fuel when the gas is not pressed for a few seconds
basically does engine brake better than some manuals left in top gear
>see this thread started by a poorfag burger that drives 20+ yo car
>want to kill myself

>sexy Singles near you
>but they are not interested

>cannot de·cel·er·ate as fast,

>thinks engine braking is performance driving technique
>thinks the engine compression is more effective than the braking system

the only time where engine braking is significant is when you have zero braking ability or are a semi truck

actually its one of the best ways to consume oil at an accelerated rate

if you're engine braking you're not driving fast. learn to heel-toe

>mash the throttle when downshifting

>not properly executed heel toe technique

does anyone on this board even know how to actually drive

>See some fag in a mr2
>He letting off the throttle from a turn from miles away
>So he can downshift
>No heel toe
>He looks at me in rear view mirror
>gets smug look on his face because I'm patiently waiting for him to just go

>race car
>let off the throttle in gear

and upset the weight distribution causing snap oversteer

if you let off the throttle and engine brake before the corner you're literally driving slow. no other way around it

Do you know how an automatic transaxle works?

D, R and P are literally the only selections to use for 95% of driving, and particularly, here in the midwest at least, there's no need for engine braking due to the general flatness of the terrain.

The occasional hill will warrant manually downshifting to a lower gear, but otherwise it's just not that useful.

Also I would be worried about your clutch packs if you do that too frequently.

you're right. then honestly I see no reason to ever do this bullshit.

>hurr durr the post

i live in the midwest and theres tons of really steep inclines where using a lower gear is necessary to save on brakes

when you're hauling a trailer you will overheat the brakes if you aren't using the engine to help you descend

>worried about clutch packs

>doesn't know about heavy duty automatic transmissions, Allison etc

also we manually shift our 4l60e automatic LS1 trans am as well as our E-shift automatic lexus GS300

these transmissions are entirely capable of down-shifting on demand

>jake braking

Is a thing for large diesels only. It uses an auxiliary mechanism to dump cylinder air after the compression stroke, turning the engine into a big compressor which uses power (from the vehicle's inertia).

Engine braking in cars just turns the engine into a vacuum pump. It also uses power from the movement of the vehicle, but not nearly as much as a jake (Jacob's) brake.

Well, I see one situation.

If you're leading, and blocking the line, you could utilize it to slow the guy behind you down and then pull away for good.

Also in addition to all that, automatic transmissions dont lubricate while in neutral you dumbfuck

>not getting passed the fuck up

why not just drift, blocking cars behind you, if that is your goal. probably illegal on the track

"i don't know how automatic transmissions work"

nice post. that helped me.

again you're right. so then the only time to do it is when you're carrying weight on hills ()

That's doesn't make any sense. In races they don't heel toe to brake harder, they heel toe in the last bit of braking to get into gear.

The whole point of heel toeing is braking hard to slow down so you CAN downshift. Downshifting once and then riding out on no brakes is retarded.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thr proper way to heel toe is to blip the throttle with part of foot to rev match while the other part of your foot is pushing down the brake.

Blip=mash, the fuck are you talking about faggot?

Engine braking occurs when injectors stop injecting fuel (fuel cut decel) the pistons start compressing air slowing the vehicle you absolute retard

>absolute retard
funny, because retardation is actually what you're describing. Not engine braking, which is called jake braking.

>be retarded
>Get corrected
>call others retarded

Its illegal to engine brake?

No. Only on certain roads in my area because it's loud as shit.

on a steep hill near a residential area in my town it is posted to not engine brake because it makes a lot of noise. This is mostly aimed at semis. No one is going to care if you downshift your shitbox

its referring to jake braking you stupid cunt not engine braking otherwise it would be illegal for any car, auto or manual, to coast in gear

>its loud to engine brake
Is it also loud to do 6k in 2nd gear?

call the cops I don't give a fuck

Well if you've got everything figured out then just keep doing what you're doing. No need to respond to me. I'm just a dumbfuck, after all. What does anyone else's input matter, anyways?

It's not like automatics were literally designed to be as simple to use as possible, and that accessory gear control was added to help wannabe drivers who can't handle a standard feel like they're "advanced" users.

Look at the history of the implementation of epicyclic gearing in consumer automobiles and tell me I'm wrong. Automatic transmissions are meant to be hands-free solutions. You playing with the shifter so much screams "I need to pretend I'm good at something to feel better than everyone else" and face it, aside from always using the E-brake when parking, shifting to neutral at long traffic lights and downshifting on steep inclines, you are a tryhard and the laughing stock of the tranny shop.

Engine braking is jake braking.

Do you honestly not see the irony? You just called "coasting" a form of braking. You aren't engine braking. You're "engine coasting"

The law is aimed at semis. I bet you are such an attention whore on the road -_-'

I think people in this thread are mixing up Jake Braking and Engine Braking. To my knowledge, Engine Braking is acceptable. Jake Braking is when diesel trucks open valves up or some shit and create a loud gunshot sounding noise. Thus possibly being illegal.

Jake Breaking is engine breaking.

Playing with your clutch is coasting down to speed using engine retardation.

Call it what it is. Engine retarding. Quit stealing another term because it's cooler.

There are two different things.

In a passenger car if you downshift and then close the throttle there is a large intake vaccuum force that slows the car down

Semis have an additional "jake brake" that vents the compressed air before it expands again like usual, compounding the braking force

>Quit stealing another term because it's cooler.
I was really invested too. Rip to my cool points. Fucking r-tard.

for reference:
youtube.com/watch?v=qocMoTOVn6Q

>retarding your engine
>calling it a brake

You are the only retard here. "Retarding your engine" and "playing with your clutch" are the actual meaningless concepts

Jake braking is engine braking but not all engine braking is Jake braking. Engine braking as an anonymous said (in gasoline engine) is turning your momentum into engine vaccuum, effectively slowing you down. A Jake brake uses your momentum to compress air, then releasing that air before it can do any work and keep spinning the motor

It's just dropping a gear to save on brakes going down a hill. Calm the fuck down asshole. Did your touchy uncle drive automatic or something?

Jake brakes and engine braking are 2 separate things. Jake brakes are devices that increase the efficiency of engine braking. I can only think of a few consumer diesel trucks have jake brakes from the factory.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_release_engine_brake

This thread went to shit much faster than I thought it would

Who knew a bunch of autists would argue so much over menial differences between two things.

why? because you're a little gayboy and you need to call you're useless manuever by a stolen term to not feel insecure?

you're retarding your engine.

Listen to yourselves. Bunch of fucking little kids.

>large intake vaccuum force that slows the car down
Thats not what slows down the car. You shift into a higher RPM range that give it high momentum and as the engine slows down your car slows down

"your useless maneuver"

fixed. Your brain was retarded a long time ago, possibly from birth.

the momentum of your car travelling is probably a factor of 100 times greater. It is the vaccuum force that causes the braking.

Blip your throttle with clutch engaged. The engine slows down in half a fucking second. Now do it in gear and watch as your car carries the engine rpm

I knew! you sunavuhbich
REEEEEE!

I don't want to wear my brakes and I don't want to consume more gas than needed so I just downshift smoothly which leads me to a stop eventually

You're commuting, it's not a race, brakes are almost useless as long as there is no immediate danger

no its not you literal retard a jake brake is a fucking addon to the exhaust system of of heavy duty diesels made by the fucking jacobs company invented by mr cummins.
holy fuck light yourself on fire you worthless nigger

You just went full retard.
Slowly step back from your computer and take your meds. Everything will be ok.

>menial
>2 unequivocally different things
DURR I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED GUYSE HAWHAWHAW LOLXD

I do it rarely. I'm worried about hurting my engine.

You drive a fuckin' semi?

He said most Americans not all Americans stop trying to be a attention whore

>Blip your throttle with clutch engaged. The engine slows down in half a fucking second.
No it won't that'll do nothing. The engine isn't in gear when you have the clutch in.

Are you thinking of compression braking?

Engine brakes are systems in large trucks that use the engine's power to slow down the vehicle. These systems are more effective at slowing heavy vehicles than traditional friction brakes, but they can be very loud. Many municipalities ban engine braking near residential areas.