Garbage in a box

Need new shocks.
This brand is on sale. Steep price difference. Guy at auto parts counter says they're good, and the price is low because they're made locally. I mean, I can get a pair for $60. The more expensive brands are going to run me about $400.

Buy or waste of money? Share your stories with these things.

Have used on a few daily cars. Never had a problem, felt the same as O.E.

Would recommend

My family used to own an auto parts store. We used to joke that Monroe came leaking in the box. Get KYB's. I ended up getting them off rock auto for $40 each cheaper than anyone had locally.

you're the first person to say this. generally people say this brand is bottom-feeding shit. i will assume you've installed some of their more expensive models.

should i really belive that a pair of $30 shocks will perform as well as shocks that cost $400+ dollars, that are also made in usa?

thank you. now time for me to be honest.
i actually bought the $30 monroes from canadian tire. go figure. leave it up to canadian tire to promote such degenerate parts. stay away. no kidding, i installed these things, felt good for about 20 miles, then heard a spring shoot off. ride has been horrific ever since, hear the shocks scratching over every little bump, have the performance of the hydraulic thing in my storm door or office chair.

if it wasn't for changing my coil springs, last week, my car would be unbearable. huge improvement with those, but the shock absorbers still suck. have KYBs coming, i expect them to bring this problem to an end.

did you buy the blue ones or the black ones ive heard the blue ones are shit tier quality.

Fuck I just got Monroe shocks installed last month.

I bought the blacks ones $100 each rear side on Amazon.

lol. you'd be fucked already. maybe you got non-rejects, because you're not a reject.

and theyre already fucking up?

They're actually very smooth and keep the back tucked in but that may be the Michelin's 8) . I think people are talking about the blue $30 shocks, but I got the black $100 ones. I drive a 2000 maxima.

i bought red monroes. probably a canadian themed thing. not sure what the equivalent is everywhere else. they were the costliest: huge waste of time, malfunctioned right away, a total rip off at only $30. something MUST be wrong if $30 and made in USA. feel like i was grifted at the auto parts counter.

I just stay away from cheaper parts since labor is the same so savings are not that great, I just eat less tendies

installing shocks isnt that hard honestly just buy good parts and do it yourself unless you have a car that needs to have its computer tuned when changing shocks.

not really a quality problem with them
they are just a very old design
some what the same type that was oem in the 70s

i guess the moral of the story is don't cheap out on car parts, especially if you're doing your own installs! then again, cheap parts may suffice, considering that cheap shocks are better than no shocks at all, if you're okay with an agonizing ride.

Get oem ones.

ordered these from napa.

Why didn't you post this a week ago. I fucking goofed.

You didn't say what kind of car, but for a truck, it goes like this:

Monroe Gas Magnums are the best cheap shock you can get.
Bilsteins are the best mass produced shock you can get.
Custom made are the best shocks you can get.

I buy the blues and the blacks for my truck, whatever is doing a rebate usually
>blacks last, blues collapse
they are three year shocks at best
not as bad a Gabriels

I bought a pair of monroe struts for my DD to replace the OE bilsteins
a year later, still good ride quality

Just get Bilsteins, I got some on my truck and the ride is actually smooth