Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

I'm going to take a look at this Subaru legacy GT 2005 with 114k km on the odo, and I was wondering what was the key things to look at, most important maintenance to do, etc

Other urls found in this thread:

allwheeldriveauto.com/how-to-make-your-subaru-turbo-last/
forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil
turbokits.com/Subaru/Outback_XT/Turbo_Upgrades/IHI_VF52_Turbocharger/697/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't buy a subaru with a shitty meme engine. Buy a Mazda 6 wagon or a Mazda 5 instead.

I'm looking for legit answer instead of the meme engine shit

Subarus have no redeeming features. Buy literally anything else. Especially if you want to diy repairs.

Check head gaskets.

I wouldn't call awd, 250hp, big ass trunk and a nice ride no redeeming features. I just want to know the must look-at when buying used.

Head gaskets are pretty much the only thing I can think of that are subaru specific.

>Literally meme shit
get out

Make sure head gaskets are good and check that timing belt/water pump was done in the last 60,000 to 100,000km.

That the turbo is fine

allwheeldriveauto.com/how-to-make-your-subaru-turbo-last/

forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Go for the NA Flat Six Legacy, better low and mid range torque, just as much power, no turbo to worry about.

>2.5

not trying to meme here but isn't that the engine that eats head gaskets for breakfast?

It eats head gaskets, turbos and in turn entire engines for breakfast.

Not exactly a deal breaker if you're aware of the problems as they're readily avoided, but they're pretty critical problems for general consumers.

2.0L rev monster or 3.0L torque monster for lyfe.

Headgaskets aren't that common on Turbo Subarus. They mostly have MLS gaskets. They can happen, but not as often as people think.

turbokits.com/Subaru/Outback_XT/Turbo_Upgrades/IHI_VF52_Turbocharger/697/

Read this link, its usually turbo failures that kill the Legacy GTs/Outback XTs. Then spun rod bearings often as a side-effect of the turbo failing and the bearing material contaminating the oil.

The rest is bullshit like oil leaks/consumption (common to EJs, often turbo return line or valve cover gaskets) and clutches wearing out, both of which can even happen on a used Honda.

So is changing the headgasket expensive? knowing there is two head since its a flat, right?

Why are you so stuck on a subaru?

>So is changing the headgasket expensive?

It fucking is when you don't do it yourself.
Solid 1.5k to 3k job since it involves more than just replacing a thin sheet of material.

On top of it working on those boxers is a fucking tedious shit.

On 1 to 10, how hard would you say it is?

10 would be converting a 2WD car to 4WD, or an automatic to manual

Shit. Is it like a week end project? Because if it were to happen, I have the place, the tool and the buddiessss to make it happen

Get the H6 wagon.
>timing chain
>not prone to headgasket issues
>good power and pickup
>h6 means tons of features are stock.
It's a very nice practical car and the 5EAT transmission is STRONK if you swing that way. I guess if you are mostly or pure city the turbo would be more attractive.

>source I have a H4 outback but had time in the H6.

I do 80% city driving, so it seems more interesting driving the h4. Is it the 3.6R model you are talking about? Because I don't think they are offered in the wagon like the one i posted, only in the ugly ass sedan

The 3.6R also sells like 6-7-8k higher so... Out of my budget

I believe the gen 3 were the 3.0. Your pic is a gen 3 body legacy.
I don't mind my 2008 H4 outback. Got it relatively cheap about three years ago and given its price I don't mind the dings it gets from bushtrails. Go with your needs and your wants - if your heart and budget is set on the gt then get it, it is a nice car and not a maintenance nightmare juat has some demons and an Achilles heel like any other.

buy a prius or a chevy volt faggot. you're gonna get like 15mpg

i dont give a fuck, had no problem driving my is300 like that

The 3.0 is available in the wagon you posted. Attached is my engine bay.

Whichever engine you get, your LCA bushings will be shot and need replacing. Easy job.

why would you get rid of the an is300? that's a perfectly good car and way more reliable than a subaru.

It was a poorly kept model, the more little problem there was, the more I discovered retarded fix. It was an electrical gremlin, and it really suck in the snow as an auto.

Thanks for the suggestion, there is one flat-6 and flat-4 turbo for sale in the city, im gonna take a look at those two.

I missed it tho

so you keep fixing it an make it mint.

Don't do it. Loved the sleeper factor and the fact that sti and Cobb shit was direct bolt on and go but holy fuck was maintenance a pain in the dick. Bought mine with 112xxxm and it just turned out to be a fucking money pit. Valve cover gaskets, front lower control arms, cv axles, clutch, steering rack, oil feed return line, oil cooler gasket. Pain in the fucking ass. A year after I bought it right after I paid it off and after dumping so much cash into it, started throwing a code for cylinder 3 misfire. Changed plugs, wires etc. turned out to be head gasket leak AND burned up ringland. 3-4 grand repair (wasn't prepared with the tools, time, or patience to do myself) and sold the motherfucker.

The suspension sucked dick.

That being said, the new 2.5t's in the STI have been remedied of these issues so for what it's worth I will not be giving up on Subaru and will be purchasing likely a 17 STI or even more likely the WRX because aesthetics, awd practicality and that glorious torque curve.

Gotta love the way they sound too, especially with a catless downpipe and cat delete straightpipe exhaust. Mm.

But seriously, for sure don't buy this fucking car unless you want to feel like you're piloting a boosted greyhound jack in the box that throws codes every other week.

Not worth for an automatic poorly moded car. I sold it almost as much as i bought it one year later and i'm happy with that.

so what do you drive now?

This monumental piece of shit as a winterbeater, I payed next to nothing for it and bought no tire for it, and thrashed it twice.

Hey at least its not auto

just get a civic with snow tires.

>114k km on the odometer
Well where the fuck else would it be?

I already had 2, most boring car ever

What is this?

would anyone here pay $3300 for a 2007 civic lx with 245k miles? assuming the car has been taken care of and there's average wear, ect. is that worth it?

Suzuki grand vitara xl7

I wouldn't, they can be found for that price where I live with 200k miles less