Automotive design trends you hate

Automotive design trends you hate.
>dial shifters
>paddle shifters in vehicles that absolutely don't need them

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2010/04/22/technology-alert-the-dipsticks-demise-is-blamed-on-dilatory-dr/
jalopnik.com/5522543/why-the-dipstick-is-dying
youtube.com/watch?v=mGE6roEThig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

traction control that does not turn off
bodies that get bigger and bigger
no more 2 door suv's

SMALL WINDOWS
why so much metal?

This wouldn't happen if you morons stopped buying shitty automatics. Manuals will be extinct in 5-10 years, thanks a lot.

engine stop/start

This must really trigger you.

those fuckin fake exhaust shits built straight into the bumper. wtf is that and why is there a light next to it

removal of dipsticks

People have been saying this since the 80s.

Manual transmissions will still be around as long as there's a market for them.

widebody styling as stock

>want to buy an manual vehicle
>want to buy a truck/suv
There is no end to this suffering. Why can't I have both?

Why would you want a truck/suv? They're absolutely unnecessary unless you want to carry a lot of equipment for a job.

>everything being extremely ugly in and out

Because trucks and SUVs used to be for the working man but then SUVs became symbols for rappers and smug housewives and then trucks became daily drivers for 90% of white collar males over 40 years old.

And all of those people hate manuals.

I like them. I grew up around large vehicles and developed an affinity towards them.

The majority of pickups being automatics happened sometime in the Seventies so you'll have to find something else to blame. Like maybe automatics being better at literally everything.

>jewing for the (((automatic))) transmission

ashekelforagoodgoy.jpg

I'm from /m/ so lots of metal is what i like but this is an abomination

tablets
shifters that are just momentary switches

Can someone please explain?

>4 door coupe
ITS JUST A FUCKING SEDAN
REEEEEEEEEEEE

fucked up my image

>what are federally mandated reflectors?

>Huge infotainment displays that distract the driver even more
>Cripple the infotainment software so the driver ends up using their phone anyway
>Nanny systems that give the driver even more ability to be distracted without dying (lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control)

Self driving cars can't come soon enough.

It's got paddles on the steering wheel which are used for shifting in the automatic version and turn on/off the automatic rev-matching feature in the manual.

Edgy meme 2020 car look.

First lexus' micro SUV cancerous concept, then the civic type r, now this CHR bs.

wtf why is the door handle so high?

>electronic shift transfer case
>doors bigger than windows
>doors larger than the tires
>stop start
>keypad alarm on door pillar
>drive by wire anything
>plastic engine covers
>traction control and stability management standard
>daytime running lights
>v6

>"our 2 door couples aren't selling well"
>"but what if we put 2 more doors on it?"
>"yeah! I bet those would sell better!"
>"but sedan sounds boring..."
>"how about"
>"Gran Coupe"
>BMW logic

To make it look like a 2 door. I swear, the shop threads on Veeky Forums were laughable but cringeworthy when they actually started being made. The 2020 look will be small 2 door-like hatchbacks with lift kits and MASSIVE widebody kits

Electronic shifters. They're fucking annoying.

>no more estate cars/station wagons
>fuckhueg SUVS/crossovers for 1-2 people
>ZERO VISIBILITY
>no more 2door wagons/shooting brakes
>traction control
>abs
>'safety' features that make cars heavier, worse to drive, and ugly
>tiny steering wheels
>unnecessary creases and lines all over cars
>"infotainment" cancer
>any screen that isn't just the radio

>Zero visibility

Honestly this is the worst for me.

>Have move your head side to side like a Calcutta snake charmer to find pedestrians
>Going over a passenger side break over and you got no idea if there is an 8 ton truck in your path.

Sometimes I have to actually get out and look and I have not had to do that in the 12 years of driving beforehand.

Fucking this

Put your money where your heart is and buy a car with good visibility then.

>those windows
>that rear angle
You would literally not be able to see a fucking thing.

Stop being a manlet or a 6'8" alien.

I have spent too much time working on foresters to ever want to step near them again.

I am more in the market for pic related.

>The MOST VISIBILITY
>Cab tilts forward for dull engine access
>4,400lbs rated payload
>Granny first so I don't have to engage low range to crawl or burn the clutch restarting on a hill with the bed full

6'0" flat thanks.

>hates low visibility
>wants vehicle without rear window

Just buy a 1 ton pickup. Those things are slow as fuck.

Stop being a manlet...

My main issue is forward visibility. I primarily only use my mirrors when reversing.

>1 ton

Not enough capacity. Also tractor ratios are more important to power than me, for example the trip computers of all the vehicles I drive usually tell me 20km/h average. If I go passed 50 km/h in anything it's "fast". If I have an American passenger they start complaining

automatics that let you shift
radios that don't work until the seatbelts are done
no wing windows
automated everything

sure it all works until it don't then you're fucked

Fucking belters

Is it true? fugg triggered

mercedes A63????????????
you described it perfectly

autoblog.com/2010/04/22/technology-alert-the-dipsticks-demise-is-blamed-on-dilatory-dr/
jalopnik.com/5522543/why-the-dipstick-is-dying
youtube.com/watch?v=mGE6roEThig

Long story short German carr manufactures are retarded and designing for their even more retarded consumers.

>A63
The 63 models are either 6.3, 6.2, or 4.0 V8's. I take it you mean either the A45 or GLA45?

SRS airbags=huge pillars

>left or right foglight comes on if car turns left or right

this shit has to fucking end

what, is that what happens with the corner turning headlight things? lel

>2 door sedan
its a fucking coupe

>automatics that let you shift
those are the only redeemable ones though.

Not when it's a slushbox planetary-whateverthefuck or a DCT with fake gears, then it's pointless a

I bet you didn't even know that gran coupes have a lift back. The point is to trade rear headroom for a wider cargo aperture without losing the sloping roofline people like from the coupe. The 4-series is also a larger car all-around than the 3-series, so it's not just a naming convention.

>driving auto
>want to overtake someone
>gun it
>engine doesn't kick down immediately
wow man it's so great not being able to change down a gear.
fuck off. there is no legitimate reason why I shouldn't be able to force my car into 2nd if i want to overtake someone.

>DCT with fake gears

Did you mean cvt?

I think he meant dual clutch

Yeah

Most of those autos with the 3/2/L on the shifter really aren't meant to be shifted hard. You usually have relatively fragile planetary gearsets and clutch bands, not big honking helical gears and a fat clutch disk.

Touch screen media interface.

The tactile nature of actual buttons is so much faster and safer I can't believe designers and engineers sign off on touch screens.

Pic related. I hated this thing in my GTi.

>so you'll have to find something else to blame
They were marketed as luxury. Amerisharts, being the niggers of culture, flocked to yet another symbol of status like flies to shit.

Nobody bothered teaching their kids how to shift because the car does it for you. It makes no difference for dull cunts who see cars only as appliances and all driving as a chore, and for that handful of losers who pretend their slushbox and CVT autos are the same as DCTs because they just can't drive stick and this is their way of compensating for that.

But for degenerates like us we're now living in a time of automotive stagnation. The cheap used car market was holocausted by cash for clunkers (thanks Obama) making cheap manual shitboxes to learn on even more uncommon.

anyone met anyone who uses the auto gears unironically? My old retarded friend used the 1 and 2 gears in his 80s mercedes shitbox and it always tilted everyone in the car

>I can't believe designers and engineers sign off on touch screens.
They don't, it's the marketing people who get horribly skewed statistics indicating people like not having any tactile sensation at all. Because we use smartphones that must mean everyone absolutely loves touchscreens and "apps" and not because it's a tiny portable computer whose primary purpose is making phone calls and that's the only fucking way to consistently operate a device where the screen takes up 95% of the usable external surface.

Sometimes I wonder how companies get the information to make the stupid decisions they do, 'cause it seems like some organizations do not look at the whole picture.

this is during the day when all their lights are off, they'll be making a sharp left/right turn and the fog comes on for 10s

it really makes me reee

I had a shiftable CVT in a Suzuki SX4 SB for 3 years, if you drove it around in Manual mode it would wear grooves into the CVT pulleys in the spots where the 6 fixed ratios were. Thanks, Nissan.

It was quick to shift but still on the other side of a torque converter so VERY slow off the line despite reasonable torque and light weight. Every day I punch myself for not getting the 6MT, even though that car is long gone.

>LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

Nissan Pathfinders did that in the '90s for the exact same reason -- to make a 4-door look like a 2-door to anyone who's fucking blind.

why is this dumb meme back?

Why do all infotainment/navigation/etc. run on the most frustrating and pathetic software imaginable? There is no reason it should take 30 seconds to switch between menus
Also,
>Locks you out when the car is moving
Fuck off, I want my passenger to update the nav

self driving cars. I wish the news and car magazines wouldnt act like its such a big fucking deal and everyone wants one

Porsche is committed to making manuals forever, unless they're banned by the EU or some shit. Mazda will have them in the MX-5 for as long as that's being sold, too. I suspect that Toyota is the same with respect to their Land Cruiser 70s.
Focus groups, surveys, introducing features as options and looking at the take rate. Touchscreens are getting better, anyway. Try out the Sensus unit in a Volvo 90-series. You don't even have to touch it, which means you can use it with gloves on, and the big screen lets them use big icons and stuff. Maybe eventually that'll trickle down to shitboxes.

>Car can tell when I have a passenger and his seatbelt isn't on
>Can't tell that I have a passenger who may be trying to use the navigation

>Focus groups, surveys, introducing features
How do I get in on these? I want to give these faggot marketing "people" and interior designers my two cents.

My friend drives a Dodge Challenger >automatic, huge ass infotainment system, TRACK MODE™ switches everywhere, can't see anything, lane warnings, backup warning, blind spot warnings, LAUNCH CONTROL™ meme button, asymmetrical interior design.

At least it looks ok and goes fast (in straight lines)

What the fuck is S?

probably "sport mode". iirc it just allows the paddle shifters to work.

>Let's put the handles on the rear doors in a place where children can't reach them!

>Used to have one easy-to-locate switch or dial to control each function in climate control, stereo settings, etc.
>All those functions are now buried behind 4 menus in a painfully slow, unresponsive touchscreen interface that you need to stare at to use
This is truly what progress looks like.

>Focus groups, surveys, introducing features as options and looking at the take rate.
Yes and I'm saying that these methods are wholly inadequate and poll the wrong people which delivers inaccurate data. People who don't know any better will go for flashy features (and pay more), people who've actually used these systems for long periods of time tend to agree they are terrible and shop for their next car without such features, which gets harder and harder because the "take rate" keeps climbing as people move away from '90-'05 shitboxes which make it look to the company that people actually like these things.

There remains much to be said about the inadequacy of focus groups as a means of deciding elements of a product. A 3000 lb rolling steel brick capable of exceeding 100 mph should not be influenced by the ideas of people who do not fully understand the implications and responsibility of operating of said contraption. Focus groups' responsibility should be to figure out where the air vents and radio should go and nothing more.

I remember reading an article where BMW stated that they'd never make an automatic.

And another one stating that they'd never go forced induction again

And one where Audi said they'd never expand into the SUV market

The only people to survive the Holocaust were the Jews and you actually will believe the words they preach to you?

>make 4 door
>make 2 door from 4 door
>make 4 door from 2 door from 4 door
>but its not the original 4 door

>Most of those autos with the 3/2/L on the shifter really aren't meant to be shifted hard. You usually have relatively fragile planetary gearsets and clutch bands, not big honking helical gears and a fat clutch disk.

>I've been going from D4 to D3 to downshift for higher revs or engine braking
>its been 6 months of me doing this
oh fuck

That's exactly what I have in my jetta.

Using it is fucking miserable

fins
pop up headlights
box design
wedge design
column shifters
bench seats

all the trends I hate already died

>cigarette lighter ports that only have power with the key on

FUCK THE PUSH BUTTON GIVE ME BACK MY KEY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because metal absorbs a hit from a mom texting with her non-smoking hand allot better than glass.
I dig old cars you can rest your arm out the window of without dislocating a shoulder, but these standards are why I'm not dead today

itd like a spaceship :DDDD

FUCKIGN NORMIES RUINING EVERYTHING

>you will never ever turn your key and feel the power of your engine
>you will never ever have to not worry about the fucking RF box thing shitting the bed
the only thing I can see that still has keys are work trucks

Eat shit

>what is a torque converter

more like they didn't want to make the steering wheel without paddles so they just found a function for them to cover

>not when it's a slushbox planetary
>i dont like it because i cant understand it
planetary>cogwheels
>no need for synchros
>no need for clutch
>no spinning clutches means bearings arent wear items
>impossible to fuck up shifting
>all around more reliable
>gets a bad rep because of solenoid and hydraulic problems, and because master mechanic Cletus McInbred cant understand how it works
i cant believe they dont use planetary for manual yet, it's just so fucking superior. it's probably because morons like you would avoid it because it's scary.

>relatively fragile planetary gearsets and clutch bands
don't listen to this redneck, your slushbox also has "big honking helical gears" that can take just as much torque as a manual or more.

rising beltlines and removal of bench seats. I know, both of those are for safety reasons (or "safety" in the case of the beltlines), but it doesn't feel right that a midsize/large sedan has buckets and a console. Column shifters too. Only pickups have them anymore, and even those are moving to console shifters.

I'm not saying older cars are better—by any metric, a new car is light years ahead of anything from even 20 years ago—but there's something to be said for having your girl right next to you, with one hand on the wheel and the other arm on the sill, cruisin'.

> mfw we will never see optimum greenhouses again

I can't believe cars that were in games that depicted the future are coming true.

Just buy an old C1500, dummy.

Subaru

My e90 doesn't have one but the f10 and all the other newer BMWs after have it