Sup Veeky Forums

sup Veeky Forums
Buying my first car, and after some research, I have been eyeing a CPO ex-rental with less than 15k miles on it. Another option is another CPO ex-corporate fleet car with less than 20k miles.
Given the above, which is the better buy? They are of the same make and model.

check the car fax. how many owners, accidents, and its service history its had.

Corporate fleet car will probably be in better condition.

Ex-rentals are a good way to buy relatively new cars for a good price. Usually they keep the maintenance on a good level because obvious reasons. Just watch out for the door panels and on the panels on the trunk door if it's a hatch - they're likely going to be scratched.

Buy the car that you can afford. And buy afford, I mean, paying cash. If you don't have cash for the full purchase of the vehicle, then you can't afford it.

who is this cock sock

The ex-rental had one owner, and little service history probably because of the miles it had.
The ex-fleet had one owner and underwent all the manufacturer-recommended maintenance.
I had this thought, as well. If I would purchase a vehicle that I could fully pay I was advised that I might be saddled by repair costs. I need a car for work that I wouldn't worry too much about.

Nina Agdal

what car? what's your budget? cash or financing?

if one is cheaper than the other and the make is japanese go with it

if it's a luxury (and, let's just say, german car) then go with corporate

2016 Corolla. Financing, transport vs. resources requires more transport to generate more resources. My ceiling is 15k. I'll be dropping 4k DP for either
They're both the same make and model down to the trim. Both are manufacturer-certified
Basically the ex-rental has 11k on it and the ex-corp has 19k. Aside from that the difference is the color.

Buy a 4k civic. It's just as good. Then you won't be in debt for a piece of shit car.

>I was advised that I might be saddled by repair costs
Bullshit. Buy a Honda with a B or D engine in it, DON'T FUCKING RICE IT, KEEP IT FUCKING STOCK, and it will run forever with minimal repair costs. Most expensive thing you have to do is change the cam belt every 100,000 miles.

Honda's also have a reputation for shitty automatic transmissions. They're only shitty because nobody bothers to read the owner's manual. Read the owner's manual and do what it says, you'll never have transmission problems. You're supposed to change the tranny fluid every 30,000, using only Honda DW-1 fluid, generally available only from the stealership or the Internet. It's no big thing though, changing the ATF is actually easier than changing the motor oil, so there's no excuse.

Ah yes, because you totally are going to be able to guarantee the previous owner actually did the maintenance.

What are service history records for $100, Alex?

Untrue

OP here, how true is the Honda is shit meme especially for older models? Most people I know who bought used older hondas have some sort of problem with it that needed regular visits to their mechanics.
As for the loan, I think I need to get one (and pay for it regularly obviously) to prepare my credit score for a better term on a bigger loan in the future (house)

Post 2000s Hondas are not shit. Early 2000s accord v6's had a few issues but everything else has been very reliable. Hondas are almost too reliable for their own good as there are tons of people who don't maintain them properly. Same with Camrys. If you buy a Honda or most Toyotas from last decade they will probably have some issues as people think they're invincible and don't change the oil until the maintenance light comes on.

>If you buy a Honda or most Toyotas from last decade they will probably have some issues as people think they're invincible and don't change the oil until the maintenance light comes on.
This made a lot of sense. This is also why I am leaning towards the Corolla. It's not exactly a "hip" car for adventurous 20 something's so I assumed it is less likely to have been driven by one.

>service history records
Wouldn't it be nice if every seller had a complete record, including a spec sheet for every part, and page tabs annotated with the mileage in ascending order?

most, if not all, autotrader CPO cars have carfax

T.poorfag

They're not shit. Like the other user said, the v6 models had some transmission problems but all the others are fine. You could get a civic then get a credit card and pay it off every month to build credit.

Another car to look at is a Mazda 3. They are seriously some of the most reliable cars money can buy. Very well made, too. I went from a 2002 Civic EX to this 2004 Mazda 3, and other than the gas mileage, I haven't had the first regret.

Now that I bring up gas mileage, my Civic was capable of an honest to God 37 mpg on a daily basis. My Mazda 3 "only" gets 28 around town. The only time it can break into the 30's is on long, straight, constant Interstate driving. I've gotten 32 like that, but because I don't take many trips of that sort, 28 is my real number.