Alright Veeky Forums

Alright Veeky Forums,
It's that time in my life where I need to buy my first car. I've had a soft spot for Honda, and the S2000 has been my dream machine for a while now. How well does it fit as a first car?

Keep memeing to minimum pretty please.

>first car
>wants an s2000

get a civic m8

Civic is nice as well, but I wanted something sporty and I'm not rich enough to get a Type-R.

>convertible
>first car
no.
Enjoy those insurance premiums

Just get a fucking Civic or Corolla

yeah m8 always get a civic lmao no matter what just get a $3k civic you'll crash it anyway since first car and shit and insurance and maintenance lmao
t. bitter Veeky Forums

Get something like a Miata or a CRX/Paseo.

S2000 is pushing unless you make a lot of coin.

>civic
>not sporty

>S2000
>first car
You're gonna crash it, assuming you can even afford it in the first place

You can literally import a Type R for less money, or build up the coveted 3k civic for even less money.

S2000 is only good for people who didn't get in on the old NSX in time.

S2000s are great, but I highly recommend you get something else as your first car. How much driving experience do you have, and what do you need the car for (are you still in school)? It does have a few downsides, such as needing to watch where you park and very little cargo room. If you're young, insurance will likely be very expensive. And depending on your budget, if you're looking for an AP1, the car can be a handful to drive if you're not careful.

>S2000 is only good for people who didn't get in on the old NSX in time.
They're entirely different cars.

this, if you want a unique honda get a crx. it always makes me smile to see a crx in good condition

You'll crash it or ruin it with shitty mods because you're immature. Just get a civic for 3k.

I own one and all I can say is prepare for a life of inconvenience. You'll never be bringing your friends to or from anywhere. It'll always be you looking for a ride out. If you want to carry anything bigger than a set of golf clubs you better have a friend with a truck. It's stress any time the clouds get dark. The gearbox is a masterpiece though.

If you are a first time driver as in like 16 years old then you are going to crash and your heart and wallet and probably bones will be broken. I've got one and it's the only car I've ever had that I don't love unconditionally. It's probably the best car I've ever owned, but if I had to get rid of one of my current cars it would be first on the list.

Might be best if your learning to drive to get something like a civic for a few months so if you scratch it you wont care.
I was going to buy a European car myself something sporty since I've got better at driving, however since that emissions trading scandal I'm not so sure, will need to figure out if I'm getting taxed more if standards shift and all that.

it's a honda, not a ferrari, don't listen to the majority of the idiots here glorifying it as some special snowflake that you won't be able to handle.

if you can afford it, you'll have no problems, it's a fun car

>It's stress any time the clouds get dark.
Can't you just put the top up? I have this problem because I don't have a soft top, but I otherwise don't see how it's an issue (just don't go racing around in the rain).
>I've got one and it's the only car I've ever had that I don't love unconditionally.
>current cars
Do you not have a practical car in your garage? Seems like it would make sense if you have multiple vehicles and need to move things/people often.

>some special snowflake that you won't be able to handle.
The AP1 specifically has some tendencies that will bite less experienced drivers. It's a well-known fact, and part of why Honda changed the rear suspension in the AP2.

>only two seats so friend's aren't bumming rides all the time
>2.0l 4 banger so it's not completely terrible on gas
>not enough torque to get you into trouble
>only came in manual so you can't be easily distracted while driving
>no fancy in-car doodads taking your attention
>keeps the semon demons away with the high transmission tunnel between the seats
>limited slip diff for good winter driving.
>dat honda reliability
>easy to work on
>stops quickly in an emergency
>Don't have to deal with rust as most s2000's have been garaged or babied to some extent.

It's the perfect first car.

unless it's an si or type R, it's not sporty

>top up
Getting wet isn't the problem so much as the rear end stepping out. I don't race around either, but I've still pulled mine full 180 on public roads. Momentary lapse and it will bite you. And I don't even think about going near it in the snow.

I have a Subaru Outback XT and it's the love of my life. I can afford to have 2 fun cars, a project car, and a practical car but I would not advise that someone make an S2000 their only car.

If you've never driven before you have atleast a 90% chance of crashing an s2000. It's not that the power is insane, but you will no doubt oversteer into a guardrail, tree or worse. The car has a very short wheelbase and which can cause a snap oversteer where inexperienced drivers do not have the capability to properly correct steering etc.

Buy a FWD car with a manual and learn the basics. I drove a jetta for 4 years before I got a decently quick RWD car and as soon as I drove away in that car I knew that I would have killed myself if I had it as a first vehicle.

Highschoolers do stupid shit to impress their friends or get attention. I did so many burnouts and ripped the e-brake all the time in my POS jetta but it had 90 hp and was FWD so it was pretty hard to get myself into trouble with it.

There is no need to rush into a sports car with no experience driving.

Sports cars are legitimately more dangerous that motorcycles, because at least on a bike you expect a crash to follow every mistake or decision to go out in the rain

But a car is no trouble, right? Four tires, extra tread, extra weight, and if it slides you can save it! Easier said than done.

My 3k civic could destroy a Type-R with just a few simple mods.

Lmao this
It makes 160hp at 6000rpm
Its tame as fuck

Does the s2000 not have tcs/scs? I drive a BMW Z4M and not even in the rain has it gotten squirely, and I have way more power. Now tcs/scs off even in the dry that bitch loves getting sideways, thankfully its tame, but i have 13 years experience. 1-2 and 2-3 shifts even headed straight get the back out

It does, but I don't know how good the system is at keeping you in check. Tires are definitely not helping my cause any. Going with some kind of all season would help instead of RE760s, but I'm not going to change my fucking tires just because it might rain in a place where you'll get a couple 10 minutes showers per month.

Getting sideways is fine as long as it happens predictably which I'm sure is what the Z4M does. The S2000 gets sideways suddenly and violently (or at least mine does).

i always say get a slow fwd but still fun like a civic so you dont end up killing yourself with a high hp car. I've seen to many 16 year olds destroy their mustangs evos and wrx cause they think there hot shit. source a 18 year old in a mustange crash into me driving out of the car lot i shit you not

It rains a bit more here which is why I'm considering UHP all season conti DWS since my rears are bald. But hear you on the snap-oversteer, that is one thing I don't have to worry about and is one of the reasons I chose to buy more expensive versus build up a cheaper car after a snap oversteer crash in my last car.

First timer s2000 here.
Bought 6 months ago.
The car is no meme. Its literally as fun as everyone says. I drover other car from friends, strongest being a m6 10 cyl but nothing comes close to the willing engine of the s2000. Its just something completly out of place that makes you enjoy cars so much more.
I got 09 with vsa but i never had any problems. Super smooth and easy to drive. Also a very nice looker.
Be prepared for the sound though. I didnt expect it to be that loud. Especially vtec shatters your ears

S2K is a fun car, and I admit I'm a bimmerfag, but I'd very strongly consider looking at a Z4M if a roadster is your cup of tea. 8k RPM redline, far more power, and less barren. Mind you, you do have to shim the valves every 30k miles. But at least the soft top doesn't rip like every S2K ever.

Either way OP both are fine cars. After test driving both I chose the BMW, but I'd advise looking at both along with the Boxster S. Also an amazing roadster.

>implying the ap1 isn't the same as the sw20 92/93 changes
They took a great car and neutered its potential because of stupid people.

>not enough torque to get you in trouble
What the fuck do you mean by that?
I have a z32tt with 400nm and a hilux with 450. By your logic I am more likely to get in trouble with the ute

I have been in an s2k and they will do 250kmh with ease

Its kph or km/h eurofag. And they are N*m or Nm too you illiterate shit.

It's called power delivery. Idk what you are arguing but dear Lord speak the Queen's English properly.

>Its called power delivery
Well the s2k only makes 160hp at 6000rpm, just pussy ass power delivery is suited to pussy ass drivijg

these anons are right OP, the CRX is a great little old car

Just remove any thoughts in your head about speed unless you plan on building it, and enjoy chucking it around twisty roads with no power steering

A few years down the line I want an S2000 when I make more money tho

I'm from nz you faggot and I type how I like. You understood it fine.

Power is power, and torque is only half of the equation.

Also you forgot kmh^-1

Damn that's decent. As much as a 4age at lower than redline

s2k is great but it can be hard for novice driver due to snap overmeme

>They took a great car and neutered its potential
AP2 is faster around a track than an AP1. The fastest factory suspension setup for the S2000 is actually the last one Honda used, for the '08/'09 CR.

Its not a good first car. Insurance will fuck you up.

The 3k Civic isn't a "First Car" Meme. It's supposed to be your daily driver. Insurance premiums are great, Maintenance is easy and well documented (Due to all Hondas being similar), and it's reliable. If you DD your good car it gets dents in it. Anybody who's been driving long can tell you about mysterious dents and scratches that occur while you're inside your work or a store. With a 3k Civic you don't have to be worried about faggots fucking your shit up in the parking lot because you already have a shitty car.