Who in History contributed the most to guerrilla combat/theory?

Who in History contributed the most to guerrilla combat/theory?
As in, which group/individual became renowned for excelling in guerrilla warfare, and which were the most formidable examples in the past?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissi_(Finnish_light_infantry)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byelorussian_resistance_during_World_War_II
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably Native Americans. The American revolutionaries copied their tactics and overthrew the British.

Well the term and type of warfare is generally attributed to the Spanish during Peninsular Campaign, thus the name "Guerilla".

>tactics

Such as? All I've ever seen is faggy movies essentially showing them off as memeraiders.

Sure, but I'm more looking to someone who refined or honed the art of it-someone who excelled specifically at small-scale conflicts against a vastly superior and better equipped enemy.

>Sure, but I'm more looking to someone who refined or honed the art of it-someone who excelled specifically at small-scale conflicts against a vastly superior and better equipped enemy.

Yes, that was the situation of Spain during French invasion. French were superior in terms of numbers, equipment, military doctrine and organisation but lost their control in Spain because of Spanish guerrilla warfare. You can read about it, it's an interesting period of history.

Finnish Sissi rangers did quite a lot of it during WW2. Professional guerilla warfare.

>Sissi is a Finnish term for light infantry which conducts reconnaissance, sabotage and guerrilla warfare operations behind enemy lines. The word sissi, first attested in the modern meaning "patrolman, partisan, spy" in 1787, comes to Finnish from Slavic and refers either to a forest bandit or his yew bow.[1]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sissi_(Finnish_light_infantry)

Mohamed. Islamists and Arabs default to the same strategies

I think the vietconq is a good gorilla troop

In modern history
>Yugoslavias Partisans (Josip Broz Tito)
>Castro and his guerillas

When i read about the Yugoslavia partisans resistance(they were surrounded by enemies on all sides, with way inferior numbers and resources) resisted 7 times to complete annihilation, and managed to win the whole Yugoslavia territory by the end of the war, is incredible.

Also Castro and his guerillas did a good job fighting from the hills, and resisting destruction even though they failed twice, but in the end also came out on top, but not even close as Josip Broz Tito's deeds, that man is incredible.

Boers in the second Boer war did pretty well. Lost, but through the British having the necessary resolve to genocide the civilian population, not through the destruction of their fighting force. It was widely regarded as the most frustrating war in a long time because of how impossible the British found it to actually bring the Boer armies to open battle, and due to the fact that until the late war period the British couldn't hold smaller towns and villages at all.

IRA

Boers?

Che's famous for writing a book on it.

List of the best:
>Native Americans (Southwest and Northeast, mostly. The Plains Indians did a lot of regular warfare.)
>IRA
>Palestinians
>WW2 Partisans (French, Polish, and Yugoslavian in particular)
>Viet Minh/Viet Cong

I don´t rate Castro much, the cuban army was utter shit. Agree about Tito.

these guys, disgusting as they are, held heir own for 50 years and finally the governement had to sign a peace deal

Micheal Collins.

PLA goes in all fields.

I mean, it doesn't, because there aren't that many fields any more.

Used to be I would fill the name, the email, the subject, and the password all with the same thing, and it'd make me feel warm.

But yeah, the PLA took over the world's most populous country using guerrilla warfare, and almost everyone after them has been at least partly inspired by them.

Almogavars.

Poles and Yugoslavs during WW2

Ho Chi Minh, obviously. His style and method of guerrilla warfare was so unique and so unpredictable that the only result it could have was either total annihilation of the North Viet Cong Forces or a victory against the US/ARVN.

But the Viet Cong were eradicated by 1973.

The Spring 1975 Offensive was purely conventional.

>you know what would be great
>if we threw everyone at a numerically and technologically superior enemy all at once

It worked, but that could have turned out much differently.

ira3 (comfy)
1al qaeda
viet cong2

Spain

>word guerilla is spanish
>Viriatus made guerillas during 11 years against the Romans
>Álvaro Navia Osorio y Vigil wrote the first book about guerilla warfare in 1720
>Guerilla against Napoleon
>Ex-Republican soldiers in the Maquis with the French in WW2
>South American Guerillas from Zapata to Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, FARC, etc

Better guerilla? don't know
Mao's Red Army, Vietminh, Tito's WW2 army, Lawrence of Arabia group
one of them

>Álvaro Navia Osorio y Vigil wrote the first book about guerilla warfare in 1720
Got a good pdf/site to read it on? I need to brush up on my Spanish anyway.

The Spanish were better at creating failed states where guerrillas could prosper than actually fighting guerrillas.

Kind of like an Indian knows a lot more about cockroaches.

What about the autodefensas?

those were death squads not guerrillas

Fabius

Polisario Front. US Army has studied their desert warfare tactics.
Only guerrilla group I know that had an armored brigade

It wasn't a genocide.

>Who in History contributed the most to guerrilla combat/theory?
That shit is so deeply dependent on terrain that you can have a different answer for each region of the globe. The idea of raiding and harassing is so old it's prehistoric anyway.

>t. eternal anglo

No, they just rounded their enemies all up in camps and just let them starve.

Kinda like what happened in the Holocaust if you dismiss the stories about flaming death machines and acid showers

>no Sydor Kovpak

Until XX century partisans were improvising. Spanish guerrillas, russian partisans of 1812, francs-tireurs.
After WWI the fighting countries have left with certain amount of experienced soldiers. Russian Civil War has the examples of bolsheviks using guerrilla troops.
1936- Spanish civil war
WWII - the widespread of guerilla tactics. The most notable theorists and performers of partisan tactics are Tito in Yugoslavia, Sydor Kovpak in soviet Ukraine occupied by germans, Mao in China.
After WWII and the beginning of cold war there were many guerrilla movements.
Vietcong and indian Naxalites have been building their tactics on Mao's books.
Some influence of Mao may be spotted in Che Guevara's works.

Mao Zedong

>russians
yeah they actually didnt do shit

Flips?

Võ Nguyên Giáp

This is the correct answer

>paul von lettow vorbeck

This man was by far the greatest military mind of the first world war.

Not only did he outlast the central powers, but he did it with no supply restocks or German reinforcements for 4 years.

IRA really set the blueprint for modern Guerrilla warfare.

Ahmad Shah Massoud probably knew more about it than anyone else in the last 30 years

By any change is Beige your favorite color

>ywn go on a ski trip and kill tons of commie scum with Finnish sissi boys.
;_;

They fought as guerillas for a long time but that's not how they won.
They hid in their caves and ran guerilla operations against the Japanese while the Nationalist Chinese army faced the IJA head on and took millions upon millions of casualties. Then the Soviets took Manchukuo, which the Japanese had turned into the most industrialized region of China and a gigantic arms depot for their conquest of the rest of China and just handed it right to Mao.
So from there until 1949 it wasn't a guerilla war or a popular uprising, but military conquest with what Stalin gave them to use against the shattered Nationalists who did all the hard work I WW2. That said, the Japanese did consider them quite the nuisance and even attempted a Hoxha-like amount of bunker construction in some parts of north China in order to stop their raids.

Pic related

>Then the Soviets took Manchukuo, which the Japanese had turned into the most industrialized region of China and a gigantic arms depot for their conquest of the rest of China and just handed it right to Mao.
Wrong.

Manchuria was handed to the Republic of China- the only legitimate government at the time WWII eneded. Soviet support of the CCP is infamously lip service given that Stalin didn't want a unified China/a weak Communist China.

In addition mcfucking CCP HQ was far away from Northern China. They were fucking around in the mountains.

If you don't know shit it doesn't mean that they haven't achieved shit.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byelorussian_resistance_during_World_War_II

>IRA really set the blueprint for modern terrorism.

Fixed that for you.

Sun Tzu

Behind the man who orchestrated the Vietnam Liberation War, lies Sun Tzu's art of war.

Behind the man who orchestrated the South American communist movement, Che, lies Mao, who is retelling the works of Sun Tzu.

>Palestinians
>try to stab an Israeli and get shot

Truly the masters of guerilla warfare

Iberians in general

starting from perhaps the resistance against roman occupation

Different organizations, same name.
The original IRA was set up prior to the IRA in the Troubles, to fight for Independence.

disgusting? they are freeing a country from corrupt and incompetent politicians that enjoy sucking USA dick.

yeah, except they are dealing drugs, raising kid soldiers and not freeing anything but jungle and swamps

This.

Same ethos.

>Only guerrilla group I know that had an armored brigade
ISIS, JN, SDF and FSA all have armored units with indigenous designs and customization