Suzuki SX4

What does Veeky Forums think of the north american SX4 by Suzuki.

I was thinking of getting one and installing, coil-overs, Turbo, new ECU, New Brakes, and a nice pair of tires and [non rice lime rims].

I'm planning on making into a rally/track car.

So what do you anons think, what are the major problems with this car ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FhPeG-6ujGE
youtube.com/watch?v=aD2ZgHrFLCw
youtube.com/watch?v=dkytX2A1bO0
autotk.com/0-60-times/suzuki/xl7/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still a commuter car no matter how much dress up you do

Meant to say:

non rice light tires

I like them. A LOT.

I think they are underrated as fuck.

Pic only slightly related.

Stfu nigger
Do it OP

Yes without a doubt the nice part is I live in Quebec and the winters are too tough for a rear wheel drive car.

So i was thinking of a car that can be a daily and unique since everyone here buys either a honda civic, civic SI, or a subaru and subarus have become the white trash vape meme of quebec. They are really disgusting.

and whats more fun that seeing a guys face after you pass him in a Sx4.

Damn that looks great user is it yours ?

It's actually something I have considered buying. It's a small AWD hatch that you can get in a manual for bargain basement prices because shit badge. There's a 08 in my area with 100k on the clock for $3995. That is incredible value for a 6spd, AWD hatch. I don't know about turning it into a performance car, but they seem like a hell of a bargain out of the gate.

that guys face when you pass him in an audi s5.

Damn this is the first time I pitch a project to Veeky Forums and people are being supportive.

Those cars are fairly underrated and hidden.

performance isn't my final goal [I'm not hoping to make it compete with Subaru or evo's] but its a bit of a sleeper.

Veeky Forums this is maybe the first time im posting and feeling support from the left and the right... my heart is smiling. I am in awe.

If you want the sleeper factor and can live with FWD, Esteems and Aerio's are dirt cheap and like the SX4, Love boost.

Yeah but the SX4 has real AWD.

whats the reason to get the aero over the sx4 other than cheaper... ? more after market parts, better gas milage, less weight at start ? let me know ?

Real-ish. It goes back to a normal slip based awd system after 60ish km/h. Still better than most though.
Most the parts are the same. They're just lighter, not as tall and have a longer wheelbase. Maybe a bit easier to work on because the lack of awd. Pic related is ~2500lbs in poverty spec trim and has lots of room in the back.

Man never knew Veeky Forums had a big Suzuki community ...

The FWD SX4 Sportbacks are lighter weight and handle beautifully. Also larger brakes and cool rallycar styling.

DO NOT BUY THE CVT SX4
DO NOT BUY THE CVT SX4
DO NOT BUY THE CVT SX4

The Nissan unit will cut grooves into its own pulleys within 20k if you drive around in manual mode. Look for the late models with the 6-speed.

>THE CVT SX4
what do you mean by CVT sx4 you mean an automatic transmission ?

I am going for the six speed manual.

Yeah, after 2010 the 4-speed auto was replaced by a CVT with fixed ratio mode and paddle shifters, it's fucking stupid and ruins an otherwise excellent car. I'm sure you're set on the 6-speed but I'm just offering a general warning to anyone looking for one of these.

thanks senpai, I was looking at a 2013 model going for $4,300

It was tempting desu but reading the initials CVT is a complete dealbreaker.

The SX4 had a total of 4 different transmissions throughout its life
2007-2009 it had a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed automatic.
2010-2013, it had a 6 speed manual or a CVT automatic.

Thanks user, saved me from a lot of trouble.

The CVT is absolutely gutless shit, but it does well in the snow gets from point a to b. It was cheaper then a Subaru gets better mileage. No mods are smog legal here. have a Subaru with new 2.0 motor also. It's garbage gutless and uses 3 quarts of oil between intervals. For the price ur looking in you can get a bug eye but if you don't have to contend with emissions then a turbo Suzuki would be different in USA.

>He doesn't know how capable the SX4 is
Let me enlighten you.
youtube.com/watch?v=FhPeG-6ujGE
youtube.com/watch?v=aD2ZgHrFLCw
youtube.com/watch?v=dkytX2A1bO0

1\4 mile 14.9 that is laughable my SUV does that. 2007 Suzuki XL7 0-60 times, all trims
Trim, HP, Engine, Transmission 0-60 times 1/4 mile times
Luxury w/3rd Row 4dr All-wheel Drive,252 hp

6.5 sec
14.9 @ 89 mph

>2007 Suzuki XL7
proof or it didnt happen

considering the factory non-turbo car did 0-60 in 11 seconds, nd likely had a high 16/low 17 second quarter mile, it's damned impressive.

You have to remember, the SX4 competed with the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, and Chevy Aveo.

stock comp or moded ?

That 14 second 1/4 mile was with the aftermarket turbo kit and stock internals

Those were the cars it competed with stock.

I've never had it on the track, i mean it feels fast for a big SUV with leather and a DVD player. 6 cyl automatic. But unless dude who wants the sx4 has double his initial purchase price to try and turbo says $5000 for the Suzuki turbo.

so were they gutted, had racing seat, new clutch, etc. or just an after market turbo ? The look basic.

not gutted. no racing seat. just turbo brake pads, lowering springs, wheels/tires, sway bars and body kit

Also those were the stock specifications as tested not my numbers 14.9 sec in 1\4 mile. Sounds slow when comparing to a 10s car. To be expected considering its driving kids to school in the snow.

>Sounds slow when comparing to a 10s car.
>Suzuki XL7
>a 10 second car
holy shit. You're retarded.

OK your misunderstanding the video of the sx4 with turbo said 14.9 sec. I replied that is slow as shit and the specifications for my wife's SUV a xl7 was listed at 14.9 sec at 89mph. Why go through all the trouble of modding a economy car if it cannot even beat a soccer mom hauling 6 kids around.

fairly interesting yet i cant believe your stats... seems very improbable

To further clarify I was saying 14.9s 1\4 mile time was really slow if you compared it to a supposably fast time of 10s which is quite fast I have never even seen a street car locally without slicks run that. Had a friend with a 92 civic running 16's and he thought he was fast.

What the 14.9 1\4 mile time? that's what comes up when u use the search. I would never take it to a track to test. But I have done freeway pulls against my imprezza 2.0 no turbo 5 speed gutless wonder and it makes the xl7 look like a hotrod.

Link ? can't find it.

autotk.com/0-60-times/suzuki/xl7/

It's fast because it's impressive.
The XL7 is not a fair comparison considering it has a 260+ HP 3.6L V6 while the SX4 starts out with a 145 HP 2.0L I4.
To put this in perspective, the SX4 turbo doing 14 second 1/4 mile times is equivalent to a 1980's Fox body or F-body.

Your right I guess I'm to the point where I have blown tones of money trying to make shitboxes faster with mods that make them less reliable. If op wants to tubo a sx4 I say go for it, if he has time, money and another car to drive to work that is not a project. The sx4 had a high seat and a really upright sitting position too like a little SUV infact it just feels really tall. Not something I look for in a track car.

The 2100lb Esteem sedan would make a better track car. Saul Goodman style.

Would a 5 speed from an Aerio bolt up to a J20A from an SX4? A-Asking for a friend...

It should considering they're both J20 engines. For that matter, the 6 speedt from a FWD 2010-2013 SX4 should bolt right up to the J20 of the Aerio.

ive done a shit tone of research on this car. i plan to buy one. that said, it will do poorly on the track and in a rally. the AWD only puts power to the rear when the front wheels are slipping.

More importantly, the transfer case is not designed to put power to the rear consistently. it is a clutch-type transfer case meaning even if you got it to lock in AWD or 50-50 it would just burn the clutch packs and kill all power to the rear.

>it will do poorly on the track and in a rally. the AWD only puts power to the rear when the front wheels are slipping.
You're research didn't tell you about the AWD lock mode that locks the front/rear axles at a 50/50 split. This works up to a certain speed (I think 35 mph) at which point it automatically switches to auto mode.

What you've said only happens in auto mode

the interior is no bigger than the swift.

probably because it's based on the Swift. From the front seats forward, its a Swift. The differences are all behind the front seats

Yeah, what's annoying is that the way Suzuki set up the CVT controller, you can drive the absolute piss out of it, it will let you downshift whenever, it never shifts for you unless you bounce off the limiter or come to a dead stop, you can engine brake to redline, it's REALLY fast changing ratios and it just begs you to drive it around in manual mode, but eventually the transmission will squeak every shift as the belts get stuck in the grooves they've worn. It sounds vaguely like a blow-off valve combined with an unoiled door hinge and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire transmission, there is no prevention, that's just how they're made.

gutless doesn't even begin to describe it, it's like the torque converter is full of water instead of oil.

Do you mind giving me a brief explanation on the awd system in the sx4 and how and what auto mode is ?

Or just give me a link

There used to be a page on an SX4 forum that went into excruciating detail for it but the forum is no longer available, but here's the basics

• In FWD mode, the rear wheels are not allowed to engage—it's FWD all the time.
• In "Auto" mode, the rear wheels are put on alert, and when the computer detects slippage in the front wheels, the rear wheels are engaged using an electromagnetic clutch, and as much as 50% of the power can go to the rear wheels.
• In "Lock" mode, power is split 50/50 to the front and rear differentials for use in deep snow, mud, etc.

Sounds shit to me. Might be able to do some mechanical wizardry to make it rwd in auto mode though.

the system won't support that

Saw a 17yo crash one on a mountain cruise, trying to keep up with built cars
Best thing I've seen all year

Does auto mode engage at any speed as long as there is front wheel slippage ?

In what country are 17 year old kids allowed to drive (legally) if not legally, where did you see it ?

Needed a car real bad and got it cheap as Fuck since it was a 5speed. Unfortunately it was owned by some boyracer arab before the guy I bought it from. Any tips to clean it up and maybe make it faster?

yes.
Lock mode disengages though after 35 mph and goes straight to auto mode.

>In what country are 17 year old kids allowed to drive (legally)
Murika. In America, you're allowed to get your license at 16 in most states. The only states that don't require you to be 16 require you to be 14 instead. The 14 year old license states are generally states with lots of farming as a license is required to drive farm equipment.

Aside from the headlights, That looks fairly tasteful. Only thing I'd do is order some bone stock headlights that aren't black.

Also check the diameter of the wheels with tires just to make sure the overall diameter doesn't exceed the stock diameter. If it's smaller or larger than the stock diameter, it can throw off your speedo.

Lool i am an arab... And i can tell you, you some arabs have the white trash method of moding cars. Its horrible, they think big sound systems are epic. But then again I am of Lebanese ethinicity (born and raised in Canada), and the lebos here in canada are very careful and know what they are doing to their cars.

As for advice:

If you feel the car isnt stable and is not feeling right, i suggest selling. You dont know what part is on the verge od breaking because this arab race fag, didn't know how to take car of his car.

If its ok: (ok means mechanically and aesthetically fine)
1. change all the fluids (differential oil, brake fluids, etc.

2. Change the brake pads.

3. Change the tires to new ones.

Then you should be fine

If you want to go the extra mile:

1. Add new coil-overs to lower the car, since its pretty high.

2. Reduce weight by buying light weight rims.

To drive at 16 do you need some one that is 21 to be in the passenger front seat.
(We have that in quebec - canada to)

>To drive at 16 do you need some one that is 21 to be in the passenger front seat.
that only applies if you have your learner's permit, which you can get at 15 in most states.

What the fuck happened to the rear wheel?

probably curbed it while parallel parking.

>reverse into a curb while doing 20mph

Thanks deffenintly gonna change the wheels/tires since one of them is already screwed up.

Dude said he rode up on a curb trying speed out of a gas station.
Seems like it peeled some of the chrome bit up while the wheel it self is intact.