/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate, genocide).
/cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

Prior era: >Civilization Resources
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- CivFanatics Database and Forums civfanatics.com/
- Wiki of all Civ games civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Civilization_Games_Wiki
- Browser Civ game, similar to civ2 play.freeciv.org
- /civ4xg/ steam group steamcommunity.com/groups/civ4xg

>Civilization VI
hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Civilization V
- CIVILOPEDIA Online (Civ V) dndjunkie.com/civilopedia/
- Civ V drafter georgeskleres.com/civ5/
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com

>Civilization modding
- Wiki for Civ modding modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/Main_Page
- Civ V mod workshop steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=8930
- Civ V mods forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=393
- More mods pastebin.com/5ANRmRur

>Stellaris Resources
- Mod archive mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg
- Mod recommendations pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Endless Legend Resources
Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
Wiki 1 endless-legend.wikia.com/wiki/Endless_Legend_Wiki
Wiki 2 endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Alpha Centauri (SMAC & SMAX) resources
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780740446
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>All 4x games are also Grand Strategy games, by definition,
that's like saying 4 is equal to 3, by definition

who are you quoting?

Has anyone updated the Stellaris mod archive lately? There are a lot of mods on the workshop that I can't find in the list for download.

Why are parajew allowed to make such shitty spaceship customisation.

I miss star ruler 2

Wow, he is offering me one of his great works. And it's really early in the game too. I think it's because he is asking for my one and only horse resource.

OK.
So FUCK research. I need waaaaay more energy and minerals. Just in case my faggot rival has allies that turn his "equal" fleet into one twice my strength.
>"Oh, it's just battleships and cruisers!", I thought, "My corvette spam will get 'em!"
Hell no. Not when it seems their "normal" fleet is specifically geared towards fighting corvettes. Lots of strike craft on their battleships. I trust their lasers not to hit anything but I'm not sure how strike craft work. I imagine they work well enough against unshielded, shitty corvettes from 4 different technologies in my empire.

You got two fucking horses.

Also I can't believe I still fell for the venerable meme.
Your lead researchers living for 120 years does not make up for +25% research in your favorite area. Not to mention the 10% in the other 2.

AWOOOOOOOO~

Horses are important to Russians

Then you got me. I don't know why he would be giving me one of his great works for so little.

Enjoy this shitty rehashed meme of a joke empire, lads. Trying to figure out how to make it more entertaining at the moment.

pacifists are the most boring thing to play even if you're roleplaying.

>Senatus Populusque Romanum
Abandon those filthy bleeding-heart space mollusks and fight for the glory of Rome instead, profligate.
Ave in all fields.

Can anyone seriously tell me why my home system is exactly the same in every game I play as my favorite race?
Is it locked when you create them?
Can a home system even have more than 1 habitable planet? Because I swear to God, I can re-roll for hours.

>re-rolling for hours
kys

I dunno, it's the only way to slow the game down once you're used to playing the highest difficulty. Everything else just ends up with you snowballing through almost the entire galaxy within 100 years or so. With pacifist, every hostile takeover can only happen very slowly through vassalization and integration, so you're not going to become the unstoppable giant blob compared to everyone else until very late into the game.

Horses? those look more like donkeys

>that's like saying 4 is equal to 3
No. 4x games are a subset of Grand Strategy.
Grand Strategy's only requirements are
1. To be concerned with macro-level development, expansion, diplomacy, and long-term strategy, whether or not micro-level (i.e. strategy, tactics, etc.) are also included.
2. To include both war and peace as periods of consideration.
3. To be concerned with more than one opponent at a time.

Everything else is merely tacked on. /gsg/ does not accept /twg/ or /civ4xg/ (they USED to until the other two split off), but that doesn't alter the definition of Grand Strategy, nor does it alter the definition of a game that simulates grand strategy.

It's like saying that the real numbers are a subset of the hyperreals.

IIRC there is a mod for more randomized start system.

4x and grand strategy are different genres

What was the that Stellaris mod where it adds more endgame events etc, i cant wait for next update.

Yes they are, in the same way that RTS and strategy are different genres.
Explain to me what Civilization or MoM fails to capture that disqualifies it from being a GS game. Note that I'm not saying all GS are also 4x.

>/gsg/ does not accept
True. There are many things /gsg/ doesn't accept.

>explain to me the difference between civ and crusader kings

are you for real?

I am fond of pigs.

That's not what I asked, you expert strawman erector. I told you precisely the actual definition of Grand Strategy gaming, based off the definition of Grand Strategy as opposed to strategy and tactics. Your job is to tell me what Civilization or MoM fails to capture in that list.

Enjoy worms in your intestine, infidel.

Australia is fun. I only thought the other outposts had adjacency bonuses with them. I did not know they also stacked up onto the pasture itself. Plus i think it looks neat how they all link together.

On top of that a 6 adjacency science district in the ancient era is silly.

Stop eating raw meat, Ahmed. It's never good idea.

Same with tundra adjacency bonus.

And yeah. Outback stations make me bummed out when I see luxury resources on plains because it ruins the size of pastures I would have otherwise been able to make.

but the japs do it, it must be fine

I always thought it was p. amusing that /gsg/ doesn't want anything to do with Aurora, despite it being far grander in scope than anything else there while still easily fulfilling thier own "requirements".

Even funnier is that they somehow are okay with Distant Worlds which is straight up 4x with neither bells nor whistles.

Almost as if anything produced by known grognard enablers Paradox & Matrix is a-okay, and everything else is terrible and bad because reasons.

Contrarian dipshittery at it's finest.

>2017
>being filthy mudslime

Come on.

Dunno man, my pacifist buddhist bird empire is right now a leading power of the galaxy through the power of vassalizing the fuck out of every ascending primitive and weakling star empire in my vicinity

I eat it cooked, but with pork, you can never kill the worms. This is why pork is haram.

I was there. It was a massive shit-poster.
If you fire up a game of Auroa, that one nigger will complain and everyone else will ignore it except for a few who might pay attention.
Because really, who cares? It's easy to tell what you're posting because it's a mostly blue and white picture. If Aurora isn't your thing, scroll by it.

>play on marathon
>have 3 barbarian camps near me
>they are both producing a horse unit every turn
>it takes me 20 turns to produce a warrior
fucking epic what a joke

That one pathetic faggot during great /gsg/-Aurora war annoying as fuck.

Im glad Aurora migrated to here.
/gsg/ is bunch of insufferable whackjobs and /pol/ rejects.

No, the Japanese eat raw fish, and people who actually make sashimi / sushi are basically kitchen gods when it comes to identifying healthy fish and how suitable they'll be.
Fish are healthier raw than meat anyway as long as you give it a good wash, but I had a friend, Japanese girl, who could literally point at a fish in the supermarket and eyeball how long ago it got out of the water to like 75% accuracy. This is without touching it, smelling it, anything. Just eyeballing.

>/gsg/
It's one guy, but a really autistic one guy.

There are no diseases you can catch from fish beyond a few very rare parasites.

>tfw ffh2 actually kinda sucks because the AI is shit

That's flat out wrong. They aren't fucking prions. They are macroscopic creatures. They can be killed by heat more than most things. Simply freezing meat often kills most worms and larvae.

I remember when I stopped playing CKII and started EU4. I had a blast and I really had fun, but when I tried to share my screenshots and ask for advices, I was rejected for "playing a babby game".
The only help I could get was about which national ideas to pick. For everything else, it was "play the third one lol" or "play a real game xDDD".

Hello, this is /gsg/. ur gey

t. wiz

Yeah. Its a total shitshow.
Good thing their games also suck so i dont have to associate with them.

I'm not a huge fan of Aurora, but I can at least appreiciate that other people are.
Hell, I can't even tell what's going on in some of these screenies, but I can tell the guys posting them are having fun.

That's all that matters really.

Well, I like it a lot more than CKII because it's more predictable and less random, and with mods, it can become pretty fun.
Here, I'm taking over eagleland with slime dogs and underling scrubs. Just the randomness of it pleases me.

I never understand a single thing to Aurora but I like how it doesn't look like a game.

What mod this is?

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=780740446

A silly mod based on a silly Japanese RPG with a lot of cute girls doing cute things.

what the fuck how do I deal with all this crime lads

kill them all

Kill everyone.

Did you really need to ask?

pocahontas is so ridiculous when combined with the french colonies 50% bonus towards native relations. you can wipe out and enslave entire indian tribes without them trying to fight back.

not to mention the hard reset on relations upon first getting her, letting you steal every piece of native land you can get your hands on and completely avoiding retaliation.

seems historical

>try Aurora
>can't do anything
>give up

I hate that "le Aurora is difficult to start" meme.

Its hard to do GOOD in Aurora but its not that hard to start if you have any space 4x experience.

what magnavox game is this?

Grand Strategy is purely about diplomacy/warfare. That's why it's called "grand", you don't occupy yourself with lowly scouting duties etc. There are zero exploration elements involved and economy is generally minimal (as in collect/trade resources).
4x is what the name involves. You explore randomly generated map. You exploit resources like iron or minerals, etc.
Both are strategy, but 4x is certainly not GS.

>Grand Strategy is purely about diplomacy/warfare. That's why it's called "grand", you don't occupy yourself with lowly scouting duties etc
So EUIV isn't a GS then?

But can I conquer the Gaul?

>2017
>eating fish
>the things that filter every filth and heavy metals floating arround

Is undiscovered land in the EUs randomly generated?

Sometimes. There's an option to make America random.

It can be, there's a setting for that that came with one of the DLCs.

So is Vicky not a GSG by your standards then?

So when's utopia actually coming out?

1st of April

no release date given yet m8

Fuck that m8
Did u wiggle ur way out of it?

Show buildable buildings only.
>bandit hideout
Get rid of banditry as a civic, it's great forwar but that's not your problem right now.
Build Town Patrols or whatever version is available
I've literally never had crime problems so I don't know how the fuck you got it that high.

>arithmetic in 3140BC
Lad what the fuck are you doing?

>Grand Strategy is purely about diplomacy/warfare. That's why it's called "grand", you don't occupy yourself with lowly scouting duties etc. There are zero exploration elements involved and economy is generally minimal (as in collect/trade resources).
No you dumbass. The thing that truly distinguishes Grand Strategy from Strategy is that it actually takes the economic effects of war and the effects of growth and relative power projection into acount. Grand Strategy is the strategy of the entire nation over a long period of time. It's the highest level of strategy, for the highest of goals - the expansion of power and interests. Whether or not you concern yourself with lowly scouting duties is not consistent, because the importanance importance of scouting and exploratin is not consistent. The grand strategy of the colonial nations historically WAS to expand outwards, find new and uncharted territory, and grab more pie for themselves.
Whether or not your map is randomly generated or historical, whether or not you ALSO participate in strategy and tactics along the way, that's immaterial, it has nothing to do with how Grand Strategy works and what it actually entails. TW is a Turn-Based Grand Strategy (a shallow one) + RTT game. Civilization is a pure TB-GS. EU / Vicky are pure RT-GS.

They sitting here since the they appeared, wtf.

Reee, their battlefleed roaming around and siege planets but they never capture it, some of their fleets just sleeping around. Wtf is going on, i was waiting for them for a end game challange. They are inactive like for 40 years.

wtf is that shit

The game's fucking impenetrable if you're just starting it.

There's submenus within submenus within submenus, and each of those have like 20 tabs with a shitload of information and there's no way of telling what's important, or where you're supposed to start.

I'm going to play Aurora since it seems it's the only cool 4X game that can run in my toaster. Any tips?

my shit terrain is made of production and food

I have ZERO commerce

Load your lasers and scorch them. Fortify planets with army.

The only "crysis" so to speak I ever get is getting btfo by FE's :S. Can someone tell me if the machine consciousness can be more dangerous than the extra dimensional invaders?

>I have ZERO commerce
Yeah but what about your hunting? You didn't fucking butcher the animals before spmming Myths did you?
Also again show buildable buildings. Build more patrols
Build more gatherers before you o Sedentary, they're sexy af but more importantly they upgrade into Workers which cost way more hammers.

>energy surplus

The game is won. Start a new one.

There's no butchering anymore I don't think, when you subdue an animal you get their hammers and food and then you can build the myths or "butcher" them for 5 science and 10 culture

I have all of the myths of the animals that spawn nearby and some from afar, I can't send hunters abroad though because they get shit on by barbarians. Anyway I think I got it under control, arithmetic gave me counting house which reduces crime by 5, plus I'm spamming enforcers and it's slowly going down

I don't wanna open the game again, am currently getting angry at dark souls

>barbarians
>tfw ywn be a qt Gatherer who

Keep wiki open at all times, and use it to check everything not entirely clear.
Also, be prepared to screw up a couple of times before you get the hang of it.

>stellaris game is won after 1-2 wars cripling your main competitor and elevating you above the rest, so any further wars just further cement your position as the ruler of the galaxy.
>conversly, if for some reason (like surrouded by advanced start fagots geting twice the resources as you due to dificulty because making the game actually harder would have required more than 3 lines of code), and cant win the above 1-2wars, you are hopelesssly behind with no chance of catching up

So how do we make it so the game isnt decided in the first 30-50 years?
How do you guys make it interesting?

How was Civ VI received here? Better or worse than Civ V?

Where "here"? Firaxis bombarded every nook and cranny with shills, so they defend the pile of shit no differently from other places.

>received
CiV was received here like Rome 2 was received. Civ VI has been met with global indifference after a two-month stint of "it's fucking shit".

GAME OVER MAN

Hey guys, so I swung by the steam page of Civ 6 and see it's got a gorillion of negative reviews and a Mixed rating right now.

What's your take on the game in its current state? Is it worth a buy yet, or is it still sort of a cock-up?

My only impression from it is back at release when I pirated it. Have they fixed the AI yet? Have they fixed the fact that Culture victories took much longer than Science ones? Have they tinkered with Combat, Diplomacy, Barbarians, etc?

Any thoughts you have would be cool to read

Stellaris on launch was better than Civ6 will ever be. Think about it.

Dang. Any clues as to why the game was so incompetently made then?

I mean, I thought XCOM2 proved Firaxis was still pretty based, but it baffles me as to how they ended up choosing chucklefucks for Civ 6's team then.

Wasn't the lead designer the guy that led Brave New World?

Actually i losed thanks to LEX mod, i activated obelisks which appeared near of my capital. Then a fucking million chaos like being destroyed my 200k fleet in a sec. Well i should listen them and not open them fully.

Peaceful prethoryn invaders i guess.

Moderation.

We need Moving Leviathans that drift across the galaxy destroying everything in their path, circling it completely every hundred years.

They could serve as moving natural disasters and such, assaulting nations and reshaping their borders where they go.

Star ruler had some old ancient giant warships that drifted among systems beating shit

>Have they fixed the fact that Culture victories took much longer than Science ones?
Indeed they have! You can now get a culture victory unintentionally by simply taking enemy art via war. Science victory now requires not only getting to the end of the tech tree but also building multiple wonder-level spaceship parts, and any opponent can stifle production easily with spies.