/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Lore Edition
Previous autism: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Starcraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Notch scam artist one.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J1H2_VTGtk0
youtube.com/watch?v=xF--1XdcOeM
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZOa3AxmmI
youtube.com/watch?v=zOaIt4TORuk
factorio.com/blog/post/fff-179
youtu.be/-h5qpXO3isM?t=225
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for CLANG

Everyone wanting to play Skywanderers learn how to record gameplay if you don't know how. /egg/ pilot episode must be done. We're going to have fun making webms.

It's been some I recorded stuff.
OBS or is there something better?

OBS Studio is fine. Be sure to update it.

If I had the game, that's all I'd do. Build shit, fuck shit up, make webms.

THREAD THEME
youtube.com/watch?v=J1H2_VTGtk0

Great meme screencap, OP! I would thumb you up if this site had that!

Same. There's a serious lack of videos made by the people who have access.
I love you OP

>stop having fun

You forgot the mandatory ZOOMED WORDS

>You forgot the mandatory ZOOMED WORDS
Fug. Well, I'm a lazy bastard.

Do we include anything from the Warframe days in the series?

no

>LEXX
My nigga.
Since there are still Warcu- Warbros among us, the occasional reference to Warframe and/or Warbros would be nice. Like that one line about golden potatoes. Something subtle but spot-on.

Any other /Patience Ferry/ riders here?

Nope

Let me guess, there is a seething anger inside you ready to unleash itself as soon as I use the "K" word.

No actually. I never visited their thread.

But you knew exactly what I was talking about. Bet you can't explain that.

I can actually. What happened to their threads was explained in /egg/ at least twice.

Oh, I see what the problem is here. Your Patience Ferry ticket only enables you to ride in steerage with the animals. Please return to your pile of hay, sir, we'll call you when the voyage is over.

clang cometh

CLANG COMETH

But can it melt steel beams?

Any /egg/ games to make trains?

Reporting for hull testsing.

Factorio, it has some train mods too.

That's a lot of downward thrust for a hydrofoil ship.

>Speed: 80.7m/s

Not bad for a 7.8k block bote

Early testing, im still not happy with the front shape, when I am I will replace internals with alloy, and configure the jets prpulsion properly, right now its running off 2 jets that can literally take it to space if I nose up.

Does Factorio ever go on sale?
I can't tell how long I've been waiting so far

stand THE FUCK bakc
I got an idea for the premise
>humanity finds a nebulae shitting out tons of energy for some reason
>colonize it for free energy
>turns out it's actually another universe with slightly different laws of physics bleeding in to our own
>everyone evacuates the zone as soon as their ships start CLANGing
>everyone migrates outside other than STALKERS looking for extrauniversal anomalies, people stuck on planets (because planetary gravity negates the fissure), people who were too poor to escape, scientists, and the /egg/men
>/egg/ somehow creates a portable anomaly negation device out of annoyance
>they don't understand how they built it so they can only accidentally reproduce it
>they refuse to leave because they're getting loads of money selling platinum from the asteroids in the nebulae

No, possibly after full release.

No, and probably never will.

>>they refuse to leave because they're getting loads of money selling platinum from the asteroids in the nebulae
>In a CLANG nebulae, platinum is the best thing they can sell to the outside world
>Not selfcontained CLANG things to be used as limitless energy cells
I like the premise though

I don't think so, but $20 is very affordable for a game like that. I've sunk more than 300 hours so far.

>Selling self-contained CLANG devices
That'll go really well until somebody with a massive hole in their ship and a whole lot of weapons comes back demanding a refund
Actually, that would make a good plot

You know what they say:
NO REFUNDS :^)

No one will come to CLANG nebula out of their own volition.
Not even for the refunds. You'd lose more than you'd hope to regain.

Y'know, if i was good enough at paint, i'd make a webcomic about the misadventures of the /egg/men in the CLANG nebulae

Nope

So are we all gonna jump on that server or not? Will we be working on modern weapons systems and comms or just fucking around? I'd be down to help toy with the new raycast cameras and trying to put up a satellite network.

What game?

I like the concept, but the mini muskets are the same thing as actual bullets

yes but they dont require machines to reload

Just going to leave this here and say this is fucking amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=xF--1XdcOeM

Cant defend against creepers, can't work at night, inefficient, slow, can't use oil, can't use water.
It's nice as a concept, but nothing amazing.

It's not practical for actual gameplay, but it's still awesome

Jesus you're cynical. This dude makes a self replicating machine and you say no big deal.

it's still a self expanding factory based around hardwired logic. That's fucking crazy. Thats like going on spongoes and sending an MCV-analogue down to a planet, and then it gathers resources and build a base autonomously which just then dings as a location on your flagship's map when it comes on and dials into your comms net.

>Program it to produce drones that CLANG on contact with other players

what game? avorion?

Scamgames never do.

I think he's talking about the Spenges server

>factorio
>scam
Retard

Why

more /egg/ tv:

>On one season the /egg/men become divided by the very accomplishments they've made:
>The planeters who have built huge cars and battery arrays for extended CLANG with trees
>The rockmen who have developed their own esoteric language due to CLANG PTSD; have a unique word and gesture for >implying
>The stationguys who have seen pistons, rotors and grid clipping beyond human comprehension

>Plot follows these factions arguing over trivialities and such
>The bigger conspiracy and mystery is a minor group consisting of members of all factions, who are going to build a station out of many asteroids, but also with pistons and rotors, and cars. Maybe even a tree or two.
>The planeters want to stop this as the station starts to resemble a planet, both in physical but also in cultural form
>A ragtag team also consisting of all factions is loosely formed and their mission is to blow up all struts that connect the asteroids into a single grid
>The mission goes south due to autism related, shit opinions, and not all struts are completely destroyed
>Asteroid station unfolds itself into a tree graph and a need for space trains moving using the struts is conceived inside some madman's helmet
>The season ends with promises of more autism with the announcement of the "Space Train faction" coming to live in the next season

you should fit the space jews in there somewhere

so whats the game to play with /egg/? space engies? avorion?

Anything but empyrion.

there are no serbs
need serbs

Pipe autism simulator 13

Physicians

You mean Factorio?

Obviously a spacetime rift.

Fukken pipes, how do they work man?
Idea for another chapter
>/egg/station recieves a shipment of pipes
>Some crewmen decide to make Atmosia great again
>They accidentally a star inside the station
>Meanwhile some other lunatic was playing with the pipes pretending to be a space pirate and in the end manages to save the station by hitting the star with a tube

>/egg/men build water tanks connected to steam turbines in areas surrounding the star
>star boils water and makes steam

Old box was so small holy shit.

>box
its uterus

lmao

>meanwhile the Clown is frying some marshmallows over a mini-star on a long-ass rod, kebab-style
>that is until the mini-star sneezes plasma at him, leaving only his huge red smoking shoes

Propably was being made by two teams starting from different ends the other team had old or new papers that had the walkway have room plants. Or someone just didnt give a shit

I know it's a stretch but

Is Jalopy allowed in here?
youtube.com/watch?v=LDZOa3AxmmI

It's a road-tripping game aboard a broken-ass Eastern European car, that you constantly have to tinker and fix up. I guess it could count as a very Mechanic-lite game?

If it isn't, is there a general more suited to it? Because I really love the fucking thing

My Summer Car was discussed here before it got its own general.

That's what we are already doing tho.

>is it /egg/
No
>can you post it a bit
maybe

Thing is, you probably wouldn't get any discussion.

nah, my summer car is very similar but wasn't /egg/, this isn't /egg/. you're only really filling in an already designed car, there's no free building to it.

fair enough gents

I've been looking into Factorio - it seems pretty amazing, but I may have been blinded by the marketing and reviews.

Any cynical fucks (who may like or dislike the game) want to share thoughts on what's wrong with it or what it's missing? I'd like to get the other side of the coin too

>Don't feel like playing factorio before the nuke update
>Don't feel like playing abortion before the multiplayer update

I know hell.

>Don't feel like playing starmade before the system overhaul update
>Don't feel like playing spengies before the physics overhaul update
>Don't feel like playing robocraft before the "ok we're sorry, we're going back to our original vision for the game" update
>Don't feel like playing besiege before the "this is the final level" update
>Don't feel like playing REM before the ground+multiplayer update
>Don't feel like playing dual before the release of the game
>Don't feel like playing skywanderers before the release of the game

Limited replay value.
After learning how to play it's not that interesting setting up another initial science potion factory.
Later, with blueprints, laser crawling, and solar power, the game becomes too simple.
Aliens are very dumb and easy to hold off and beat.
I would pirate it and see how much you can get out of it before dropping 25 steambucks.

Factorio is very gud, it is what it is, and there isn't much bas to say about it.
It's pretty solid, though updates are oddly slow at times.
The fact that they're simplifying nuclear reactors from their original design docs for the retards is the only bad thing they've ever done I can think of off the top of my head.

Modding community is bigish, and the game has full documentation, so modders basically have the same capabilities as the devs.

They've got a free demo, and it's easy enough to pirate.

It's great as far as these games go. Wonderful devs who have, thus far, never really fucked up (whereas Keen fucks up every week), the game's fun and fairly intuitive.
It just has a low replayability without mods or ramping up the difficulty to insane levels

>not just playing with nuclear now
even though nucular is kinda shit compared to uranium power it's more vanilla-ish in its execution

>>Don't feel like playing REM before the ground+multiplayer update
90% of the REM 'userbase' right here. Everybody wants to try it when tanks are in but not sooner.

youtube.com/watch?v=zOaIt4TORuk

welcome to /egg/, enjoy your stay

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-179
>that uranium
I hope to God they'll make it look like Tiberium

Guys halp, how do I get from the asteroid belt to Mars in under 2 years. Dat gravity 2 strong.

what game are you talking about man

probably CHODE

Choad.I've got 32.2km/s Delta-V and 2 years to get from 24-Themis to Mars orbit.

>Captcha: 4500 vehicles

youtu.be/-h5qpXO3isM?t=225

Closest flyby of Mars from Themis orbit is 3 years, so that's out. And the gravity from Themis is preventing any straight shot to Mars' orbit

Anybody got some good and effective designs for boarding crafts? The ones I build either break apart on impact and destroy half the enemy ship or smash all the way through.

Thanks guys, after pirating it and playing it a while I think I really dig it, I'm gonna go ahead and buy it to not feel like a total douche.

quality boarding craft of the nature you're after would require both better damage and deformation sims, as well as a better variety of structure/material designs, i.e. smaller voxels and more durable materials.

Well, I realized that the scout ship, despite having mucho Delta-V, has acceleration in the micro-g's, sooo I'm gonna try something stronger than that to at least get out of Themis' gravity well.

>Captcha: Mexico Spin

Factorio is one of the games where the devs aren't total cunts so buying it is a pretty good idea.
Using logistics bots for transport is cheating.
Trains are god.