/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Frogman edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases
pastebin.com/Yapgmt8R
pastebin.com/M9pYZTxE
pastebin.com/Sg2ugpt7
youtube.com/watch?v=nTgZe4bpR8A
youtube.com/watch?v=Yxk_A4Y-9hI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for burning the forests to piss off elves.

waiting for that invasion.

in for ded

I thought I had that "14 things that will make you say ooooh" pic but I was wrong, so here's... my cat's ear in a box?

>adventure for a while
>being a bully with my wild bunch of jerks, everybody fears me
>retire to try something else
>eventually miss my gobbo, time for the comeback
>everybody loves me now
Turns out that resting for a while makes you a lovely person.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the lazy newb pack? The link isn't working for me.

well I certainly didn't have any problems downloading vanilla

Settling down and drinking a lot does wonderful things for a personality you say?

Eyyyy!

redpill me on the lazy newb pack

for someone new to the game, is there a reason to go vanilla over the pack, aside from bragging rights of playing only vanilla like the other hardcore autists?

lmao

>Have five dwarf lever operator sole job si to pull a damn lever when need be.

>Suddenly major invasion

>put a pull lever order for the drawbridge

>Nothing happens

>invaders pour inn and my militia is down in the far reaches of the tunnels.

>Find all FIVE of my lever operators snoring in beds, ALL FIVE

>Suddenly one guy wake up and get the genius idea to pull the lever

>Bridge goes up blocking any escape path from my civilian¨s

>Massacre and carnage and when my militia finally arrives its all to late.

My fort went under because of laziness,

try pressure plates

nou

The military screen confuses me. I can't get my dorfs to wear their armor. I assign a squad "metal armor," and I have a bunch of copper armor lying around, but they never pick it up. What do?

>r: replace clothing

I've tried both replace and wear over clothing, thanks though

give me the details then. what is the exact type of metal clothing you have in stock

Might do that next time

Lever Operating is one thing every dwarf should have enabled.

Fuck you, you fucking elitist piece of shit.
Not everyone has the time to learn to look at the matrix and make fucking sense of it you fucking neet loser virgin pieces of shit.
Fuck you!

>mail shirts
>breastplates
>greaves
>boots

All copper. (It's the only metal I have)

I don't want my mindless engraver getting any idea that there is more to the world than engraving stones

Do you have trouble downloading it user?

i just need confirmation.

Wait you can have mail shirt under the breastplate?

how do you do that, cause the vanilla outfit do not allow that

And it will cost you another fortress.

Think about it.

Downloading what?
If you're the lazy noob pack user then I urge you to just go ahead and download the latest release and use the quickstart guide on the wiki.
As for me, I've been playing for a little over 2 months now and I still don't use any add-ons whatsoever though I've been thinking about a tileset that changes the colors of the default to one that's a little brighter.

Yes you can, and yes it does.

make a new uniform, add both the shirt and breastplate under (A) for armor, and specify materials on both items with (M) for copper. if it doesnt work, its time to go the extra step and assign them the specific items then. they can wear shirts under breastplates, but they wont do it if you dont specify to replace clothing. however, youll have to assign weapons and all the other armor pieces individually as well.

on the military screen, press (e) to equip, (A) for armor, select specific item, and chose a copper mail shirt. repeat the process for the same dwarf but assign a breastplate this time.

if they still wont grab it, shits bugged and i cant really help

I'm not sure, that's just some of the armor I have in stock.

without LNP you get to play the newest version and don't have to wait until the modders update (they still haven't updated to the new version even though it's been a few months)
you also don't get accustomed to using the rapist as a crutch, and arguably can get more immersed in the game. DFhack and the rapist are the only really useful things in that package honestly, tilesets you can just add manually, especially since they'll always be compatible with the newest version of the game

thanks senpai

It really does, but not I don't know what to do.I'm tempted to go back to my hold ways, but then I'd feel like I'm ruining something.
The adventurer's life can be hard.

you know you can just add a graphics set manually, right?

yeah but, playing on 0.43.03 instead of .05 isnt that big a deal for me. i also dont think i would be playing the game if there wasnt for the rapist. the labor menu in the game itself would not increase my immersion by any means, it would just put me off.

i believe it really boils down to preference and accessibility. and i like accessibility.

>therapist is just a crutch

I can not believe there are people who legit think like that. Keep up that sense of superiority.

Really all 43.05 has that 43.03 doesn't is 64bit support. So its just 43.03 but with more fps.

If that's your favourite way of playing, that's cool. But the whole delay with the 64bit release kind of put me off mods. The newest patch isn't that big of a deal, but the next patch will be pretty huge, and I really wouldn't want to wait months just so I can play the newest version of the game with rapist.

How much has 64 bit helped in terms of FPS?

Surely it wont take nearly as long when the next update hits. The reason they have taken so long to update now is because of the switch to 64 bit right?

never said it's JUST a crutch, but it's obvious that if you learn to play the game with the rapist you might never be able to play without it. what if the rapist's creator is ever no longer able to keep it up to date? this is quite probable considering how long the game's development will take
in my opinion it's in a newbies best interest to first learn to play without rapist and then try it out if you feel the need for it

>what if the rapist's creator is ever no longer able to keep it up to date?
Someone else will pick up the slack. Pretty sure this has already happened once before.

>I can not believe there are people who legit think like that. Keep up that sense of superiority.
Have fun playing obsolete versions 60% of the time.

It normally doesn't take this long. Couple weeks at most usually.

This So many people use that shit, that it will never die as long as the game is played

What are you talking about? Aside from this whole 64 bit update, shit like therapist updates to the latest version pretty quickly.

>Someone else will pick up the slack. Pretty sure this has already happened once before.
>So many people use that shit, that it will never die as long as the game is played

Good, then I don't want to hear any "rapist when" from you. If you have such great confidence in therapist, then you should be able to wait like good boys forn the release, while the grown ups have fun playing normally.

Does anyone have any worlds that they like to share? My biggest problem in getting back in to this game is that I get stuck in Perfectworld for like a week trying to make something that is insanely dangerous but actually generates.

Does anyone have a world along those lines? I need tons of things to fight, otherwise I just get bored and over-produce craft goods until FPSdeath.

I understand what you're saying but .05 fixed some annoying bugs, you should still use it, if you want a therapist subsitute for now I'd recommend the labor manage in dfhack

dfhack isn't updated either.

>he doesn't know

that's pretty damn risky though. what if the miner who's in the shaft down below gets the job? just as bad as the lazy operators.

Toady should travel to Las Vegas and start gambling

then he could use his earnings to hire an entire football team of Indians to work on DF

>Beta version available
>github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases
Now stop your whining.

>you have struck native gold

And so the golden age begins anew, soon the fortress will be a glittering eyesore

>wait like good boys while the grown ups....

My point exactly. Gotta keep that superiority complex going strong by forcing yourself into tedium.

>speaks in a condescending way about anyone who chooses vanilla
>still has the nerve to accuse others of harbouring a superiority complex

Being unable to play without therapist brings out one of the worst characteristics a DF player could have: not wanting to learn. Every player should be capable to play without it.

And saying it as someone who often uses therapist when it's available, they're some of the worst posters in this general.

Ive been using Therapist for ten years and i really don't miss or need it at all

sure it makes some aspect easier but its all fun and game

I absolutely refuse to play with the vanilla labor manager, it's either therapist or dfhack.

>I absolutely refuse to play with the vanilla labor manager, it's either therapist or dfhack.
Good for you.

>speaks in a condescending way about anyone who chooses to play with therapist
>gets butt hurt when called out on his bull shit.

Not even arguing against that. You should be able to play without therapist, so you can at least play in the little downtime between therapists updates. But lets not act like somehow people who use therapist are somehow worse posters than the people who act superior because they DONT use therapist.

>But lets not act like somehow people who use therapist are somehow worse posters than the people who act superior because they DONT use therapist.
No one does that. The shitflinging always starts when someone says that he absolutely refuses to play the game without Therapist.

What is a good depth to build a fort inn?

to build you fort in, I usually do as soon as dirt ends

to build an inn, near the main/side entrance for easy access, but also in rock

deep into ur mom xDDD

>that wizard section under the development tab
WHEN

Yeahh Inns........never dared to open one yet in scared of FPS death

As soon as you wish hard enough user :)

>WHEN

a few years sorry lol :(

You can limit the amount of visitors in the init settings.

I played as a hyena man once in adventure mode but after I bit a mason in the fortress where I started a brewer strangled me to death

Currently playing as a jumping spider woman right now, having extra arms is rad as fuck, but I'm pretty bloody fragile, even with decent defences.

Yeah, as soon as you lose an arm the spider man is toast.

rest in peace, TJD. I've never forgotten you...

Yeah, considering my first three attempts ended pretty horribly.

Got eviscerated by boogeymen the first time, got gangraped by goblins the second, and got kicked in the head by a impala or something like that.

Spoodermen have it rough.

pastebin.com/Yapgmt8R
pastebin.com/M9pYZTxE
pastebin.com/Sg2ugpt7

They're so cute though: youtube.com/watch?v=nTgZe4bpR8A

All the insect men are kinda glass cannons. They have some sick racial bonuses such as extra arms and sometimes stuff like nostun or nopain, but all vertebrates are much squishier than us meat-wielding, skeleton swaglords.

Uh, spidermen have [NOFEAR] and get ignored by bogeymen, did you pick a fight you didn't have to?

Boogeymen are just bullshit, sure, you can become strong enough to defeat them, but when you're starting out you won't be able to, you need companions or else you will die.

No, from what I remember, I definitely died to a boogeyman horde as a spiderman.

That's understandable.
Stuff like that makes playing a sentient wilderness creature more interesting though.

Custom colours aren't a tileset. Theres a page on the wiki with a good selection of them.

I know gorlaks can_learn, but this is something else.

I don't even run large forts anymore, not having therapist hardly matters.

>spiderman
youtube.com/watch?v=Yxk_A4Y-9hI

neat

Truly, gorlaks are the ultimate master race.

Then it was modded or something or you're remembering it incorrectly, but jumping spider men and brown recluse spider men have [NOFEAR] and bogeymen ignore them.

Huh.
I dunno, it's been a while and it happened so fast, so I suppose I might've gotten it wrong.

But hey, never knew that spider people have [NOFEAR] before. You learn something new everyday.

blatant lie

[NOFEAR] makes the bogeys friendly, but it doesn't prevent them from appearing at night.

Did you by any chance attack that bogeyman first? That would have made it hostile toward you either way.

No, I was just wandering until I got the message:

"You hear a loud cackling"

...I don't remember the exact message, but after that, I got bum-rushed by boogeymen.

Yeah, having the reflex of smacking a bogey wouldn't help here.

IIRC, the notion that bogeys would be 1000 big is due to a misinterpretation of the data in gm-editor. Sizes as seen in gm-editor are not the same as the sizes in the raws. They are measured in different units. In raw sizes, most bogeys would be around 10000-30000 big.

When will we get mounted combat?

i cant wait to saddle up all those cats and ride em into the nearest pike wall

I don't think there are sentient creatures small enough to use cats as mounts

I want to ride elk birds.

What other cave creatures might dwarfs find themselves riding?

Kitten-drawn chariots.