Hey Veeky Forums need some opinions

Hey Veeky Forums need some opinions

I'm replacing the standard radio in my car with a GPS unit.

The two I'm considering are;

>1: Model specific unit
>Made exactly for my car
>Drawbacks: Crappy UI, nothing special, just shows you how to get from A to B

>2: Kenwood unit with Garmin Navi
>Doesn't fit that well in dash (Photo 2)
>Has great interface, apple/android carplay, just a high quality unit

Does the first unit look better in the dash than the 2nd? I know the Kenwood unit can be tilted so it might look better, but it's a bit of a gamble on that front.

if you can get something with a purely touch ui and super minimalist or nor bezel buttons at all, that's great

you can also consider painting any bezel or buttons flat black to be less visually intrusive with the dash around it

So the Kenwood unit with minimalistic / pure touch looks better than the first unit (one with buttons on the left) in your opinion?

I'm just concerned about the fact that it doesn't "fit" 100% and there's some spacing between the unit and the dash so it looks very aftermarkety

maybe im overthinking though

no, that kind of stuff will constantly bug you so overthinking it can help.

that said, stock systems are fucking shit and only get worse with time

Keep the stock one and use your phone or dedicated gps device.

Don't have the stock one, right now it's pic related radio

I'm deciding whether to buy one or the other

The Kenwood has great UI and features, but I just feel like it doesn't fit properly in the dash as right Photo in OP shows.

Nothing will look as good as the oem radio. See if anyone on a forum has retrofitted the oem navigation unit if it was an option. If it's possible it'll be expensive.

I take function over form in a daily. Nobody likes stock head units.

desu it would be pretty gay to have a touchscreen only headunit like the second one. No knobs or buttons at all, it will be a nightmare just to bump the volume up a few points on a windy road.

Noted senpai but I have steering wheel controls

It actually has volume buttons on the silver bottom part

If you have an Android phone use Android Auto + Bluetooth.

not quite so bad then

Nah got an iphone

The thing that appeals to me about the Kenwood unit is being able to use Siri via the speech button on my steering wheel control.

So bassically just talk to Siri and get it to show me the way from A to B or whatever else you might wanna ask it

Ah. Okay then. In that case, I'd get whatever has a good community and is easy to apply updates.
(I'm leaning to universal aftermarket, but it's up to you)

Yeah the Kenwood has all that

I'm just bitching about pic related, because I feel like it looks shit because it doesn't fit perfectly.

But the most important thing should be to have the best unit right?

It feels retarded to pick a bad unit just because it fits better in the dash

I think it looks fine. I've seen a lot of systems that are deeply embedded in the unit. As long as the viewing angles are good (which I assume they are, since it's a screen designed for driver's use) then you're good.

Your goal is to have the best unit.

I honestly think the deep fit looks nicer than the OEM unit.
Gives the unit some real presence, also blocks light from reflecting from the screen.

Aight thanks man, I'm guessing you're right about the unit being fine deeply embedded.

Yeah you can even change the viewing angle of it along with the tilt of the screen.

Def going for it now

Awesome thanks! What I was hoping to hear

KEEP THE STOCK RADIO

Instead of making another thread for this , I'll ask here. Seems most appropiate.

Really want a fancy touch screen radio for my NB miata. I really don't need a big touch screen one but they always look so good.
Wants
> Bluetooth
> CD player
> touch screen
> aux port
> looks good (i know taste is subjective)

Halp?
Complete noob to stereos ...