/pog/

plebs. I've been busy working at the track.

>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XcOWZV7RK4I
missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6067170373.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

:3

Is a 986 with high milage a bad thing? Or do they do ok? Whats the average yearly cost of repairs?

bump

my daily 986 is pretty cheap to run

haven't had to do nothing to it this year despite tires and oilchange.

There's an user with a non S 986 with around 200k kilometers, he'll be here eventually.

I might sell it for a Cayenne though, i really want something bigger and to stay with the brand.

also

>inb4 that retarded user who only posts porsches on fire and the same link over and over comes and shits up the thread.

>>inb4 that retarded user who only posts porsches on fire and the same link over and over comes and shits up the thread.
That's just a matter of time.

I'm deciding between a 986 S or base depending on whats around this weekend and a BMW 135 or 335.

The BMWs are newer but I like the 986s styling and prefer the roadster over the bigger cars.

It would be a DD in the midwest. We're talking 60-90k milage.

Any questions to ask the salesman? Should I be aiming for below 10k on basically anything like this?

Also how are hard tops for these?

senketsu eyes 944 here again. currently i'm working on my cam tower gasket at my tech school. Pics tomorrow. The work has been easier than expected so far, including removal of the fuel rail and distributor. The fun part is coming...
I watched this german man walk me through the process beforehand and got a strange james may vibe from it... youtube.com/watch?v=XcOWZV7RK4I

BMW z3/z4 are worth checking out too

mine has the HT.

although i use it for rigidity and stylish looks because it doesn't snow here, it's very good. Extremely good compared to how rattly and squeaky the hardtop was on my old Z3. It doesn't make any noise or shudder around in rough roads, and you "can" in theory take it off yourself because of how lightweight it is.

obviously ask the salesman about the IMS, clutch and suspension.

These cars have a sticker on the front hood with all the option codes, similar to GM cars. you can look them up and see what the car came with from the factory.

>BMW 135's and 335's

i was actually looking at these aswell recently. Personally my only complaint of my S is that i feel like it's just not fast enough. It handles amazing, but despite being an S it just doesn't feel that fast. And has literally next to no aftermarket. with the 135 i could get the JB4 and a whole bunch more mods and have a fantastic time destroying the car and its turbos. I like modifying my cars, and i can't really do stuff like that to the boxster.

also that my car happens to have shitty 2nd gear syncros. shit's crunchy. i hate it. very common apparently, friends 996 C4S is like this too.

So its been reliable for you over all? My wife is all against it because 'it will cost too much to maintain an old car'.

I will. Seems to be a drought of them in my area right now. Would like to have the coupe of one if its around.

I'll get to go on track with a friend's 924. Anything special I should know about driving one of them?

They're not fast, but quite well balanced.

Nice!

yep

probably been the most trouble free german car i've owned, compared to my old Audi and BMW.

Couldn't take pics was too busy working on the thing... Well that was interesting, my cam tower was missing a bolt. But that's not where the leak was, oh no. The leak was around a torx bolt thay was half as long as the rest of the 6mm Allen bolts... I've been daily-ing this car and took it to track days. I'm surprised it took this long for something to happen.

Got me some headers, been blasting the old rusty bolts with PB blaster 3 times a day all week
What's the best way to get them off without snapping them? Impact gun?

Obviously you want to make sure its been well taken care of. But look at spending a grand a year on fixing things because age and stuff.
You can save money and cheap out, but I believe it's just gonna be more of a headache in the future

Reliability-wise it's only ever thrown a CEL once from all the extra oil it was burning when the air/oil separator went, not bad for a 20 year old car after 4 years of ownership
Meanwhile my dad's 2 year old S Class threw a CEL for a temperature sensor that called it quits, and obviously it isn't covered by the warranty, fucking $600 repair if I wasn't around to replace it for him

If you can afford the S, get the S. 200-220 bhp is just not enough at times
>tfw too poor to afford a 996 engine

bump

Ebin, simbly ebin

I just gave a fairly stock barely used 991 Carerra S a test drive the other day.

So it did not have the sport system or sport plus, or any sport suspension (but had an option to stiffen the suspension a bit if you wanted)

I have a Audi RS5 but I didnt really notice that big of a difference. I noticed it was lighter which was easy to tell (RS5 is heavy af) and that the shifts were slightly better. It was nice, looked great, and I would like a 911 at some point, but I am not sure I can justify it.

What packages are really a must or what am I missing? 20 mins of testing driving only goes so far.

If you can't justify the cost the face lifted 997s are also really good cars

Gotta find some cheaper exhaust tips. Swapped out my exhaust and the old tips had been on their so long, the head of the bolt of one broke off while trying to remove it. Left them both on the old stock system. Asked a local dealer how much and they were over $600 EACH for a fucking stainless steel exhaust tip...

Also, I have to adjust the muffler straps so you can't see that bolt, especially the right side.

sport chrono with the sports exhaust is a must.

shame your testdrive car didn't have it. It's a world of a difference. Same with the sports seats. the stock ones are fucking awful, and ugly.

>also apple car play.

yea I asked how much the sports exhaust would be, because my RS5 has a 4000$ exhaust on it and the Carerra I drove had absolutely no sound and was embarrassing 2bh.

It the sound really worth the money? And the seats? Seems like big expense for vanity.

Is it worth getting a 944 and turbo it yourself?

the sound is worth every penny, the stock sport seats in the 991 I tried were far superior to my RS5. Very comfy.

I feel I would rather get the stereo upgrade personally.

but once u get the exhaust the stereo is less meaningful

and stereo is much cheaper than the exh

No. You will end up buying a 951 engine anyways.

This. Sports chrono with exhaust is a must.

ah, I see, the sports chrono package is definitely a must, shit, wish I drove one with it

its like the "S" mode in the audis

damn who the fuck spends 110k on a 911 carrera and doesnt get this!!! what the FUCK!!!!

It's not just sound, it changes the way the throttle, braking, steering, dampers, and chassis behave

Also the PTV ( Porsche Torque Vectoring ) is most desirable.. I donĀ“t get why so few configure this option..

Bummer! A guy at the track this weekend sold some fabspeed tips for $300 for the pair. Keep scouring Rennlist and pelican forums

Hey /pog/, would this be worth checking out?
missoula.craigslist.org/cto/6067170373.html

I'd say it's at least worth a look.
I'm guessing those paint patches are repaired rust spots, make sure the sills are hard.

Welcome back, /pog/

Just make sure it isn't made out of rust. Seems like he did good on the mechanical but that paint could be your project
And who knows what condition the suspension is in

993, one day i'll make you mine.
One day...

But user, that's a 959.

looks like a 993 to me they all look the same

this is a 993

They look nothing alike

993 side profile.

959 side profile

apart from it having airducts in the bumpers i really can't tell the difference, but porsche is a good looking car nonetheless.

Not a single panel is the same though

Ah whatever

959 looks like a 993 with a body kit, they both look good though no need to get upset.

996 and 997 aged horribly

do you think 991.2 will suffer the same fate? 991.1 already looks slightly dated.

I disagree

Finished the engine rebuild. Now its time to diag a no-start

Guys, 944s don't tend to rust unless they are damaged. Galvanized etc.

Definitely worth a look.

They're rust resistant, true, but not indestructible like a Trabant

you're retarded

>tfw you'll never even get to drive one of these

please remain respectfull while you are shitting up this general, thanks.

also elaborate.

Why am I starting to like 996s more and more, lads?

You subconsciously stopped parroting purist memes and started forming your own thoughts

the 959 is the one car that actually looks different though.

why does the 944 have a I4? so it doesnt upstage the 911?

Because they're getting cheaper and cheaper