Am I an idiot Veeky Forums?

I need help Veeky Forums.
Yesterday I was driving in the middle lane in the city (red rectangle) since I wanted to go straight on. When sudenly I heard a siren and saw an ambulance right behind me (yellow rectangle) flashing his indicator. Since there wsa quite a lot of traffic (black rectangles) and as I understood it he wanted to go in my lane I simply stoped leaving a gap big enough for him to go.
That's where all hell broke loose. He started honking on me and almost drove into my rear-end and forced me off the road and then continued in the middle lane anyway. I felt like a total fucking asshole as it was near a bus stop and a lot of people were looking.
What did I do wrong Veeky Forums? How was I supposed to react? Why didn't he overtake me?

You should have stepped on the gas and go to the 3rd lane, leaving the second empty for the ambulance. You could have also gone on the 1st lane since it seemed (from your draw) that you have place to do it. You screwed up, yes, almost killed someone, yes. But live to learn, gas will save you more than brakes. When in doubt step on it and get out of its way, no matter what it is.

I think I forgot to mention, there were traffic lights right above the two cars that go out of my drawing and we got a red light so the whole road was stopped. I just thought that with that much of space in front of me he will go around.
I'm an idiot, I could cost someone their live. I've never encountered an ambulance before on a multilane road in the middle of the day. Fuck me.

Then the driver of the ambulance was the idiot if there was a red light and wanted to get on 2nd or 1st. He could kill someone if he is just hurrying and not thinking ahead to go from 3rd to the right (since that seems to be the idea). He should have passed the lights and cut the intersection. But damn senpai, be aware and state all evidence, you looked like an idiot for a second.

In my country you can get a speeding fine thrown out if you can prove you were doing it to make way for police/firemen/ambulance
You can also get away from a minor speeding fine if you are driving someone to a hospital

In mine you can escape the fine for speeding with the ambulance if you are family of the one in the ambulance

People have fucked up way worse than you man. What matters is that you learn from it

This is now a feel good thread.

ambulance driver is a slowfag. what you did was acceptable to me. it sounds like you did your best to pull over.

Sorry. I didn't want to re-paint the png once I was done.
I also find it strange that there was a tram lane right next to the road but he choose to get off of it. Pic related, it's the Google maps of the intersection.

Thank you anons.

You don't just 'stop' in the middle of the road...your to move yourself over, in a safe and timely manner so that emergency vehicules can get through...

You reminded me of another stupid cunt that pulled a 'stop in the middle of a highway' stunt...she thought she was doing the world a great service to allow some ducklings to finish crossing the road...except for the dude and his wife that ran into the back end of her car at 100kmh...

If you don't know what your doing, or unsure of what's going on, get the fuck off the road...

We weren't there and can't tell exactly what was going on but I assume you were slowing down for the lights, you might have been able to get into lane one but from that it looks like you'd crash into either ambulance or that car
You could have gone in front of the parked cars though, but I'm not sure if you would have hit any pedestrians

Probably killed someone tough luck

You are not helping user. It was already hard enough to stay there while the red was still on and dodge the angry looks of the pedestrians.

It was his daughter and they both died. Bitch got 90 days in jail and banned from driving for 10 years.

>tailgate on a highway
>someone brakes to not kill some animals
>hit them
>WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

it's over friend. As previous anons said nobody got hurt. fuck the amber lamps sometimes they are rude.. like you said he could have gone around those peds at the bus stop don't have any say they are waiting for a freakin' bus. just yesterday i saw a major crash

the ambulance driver should have gone around if he had an opening just wanted to make you move

okay that was a good op is a faggot image

When dealing with emergency vehicles, you have to understand that they are going at higher speeds and already have to keep an eye on all the traffic around them because they're weaving through shit traffic as it is.
A lot of people react impulsively when a siren nears, sometimes even when they're already in the right position to let them pass.

When you know an emergency vehicle is nearing, DON'T go making split second decisions and maneuver unexpectedly. Look around to see if there's room to get out of the way without braking. Seriously, don't brake unless you have to. Anything that makes the driver have to anticipate the worst (you coming to a full stop) means he or she will have to adjust.
If it means going into a full-ish lane and forcing other people to hit the brakes, so be it. They're as much responsible for making way as you are, so just blink and steer.
You're allowed to break the law on good judgement, so if you can accelerate to move out of the way a little bit down the road, do it. Run a red light but ONLY to move in front of the furtherst car in your direction (don't pass a crossing).

If you can't make way right away, accelerate (don't floor it like you're drag racing, just go a bit above the limit safely) and make way as soon as possible. The driver will notice the traffic as much as you do and understand what you're doing.

Just never fucking brake or make sudden movements unless you're blinking and going out of the way.

As an ambulance driver, you want stability on the road around you. That way you can maintain a high speed and observe the other lanes, for example if he wanted to go all the way to the right he could've passed behind you and the black car without having to brake a whole lot.

I will try to react better next time.

Don't be too sure about the last one. In some cases, sure, but most of the time they'll probably just go with "should've called an ambulance, that's what they're for". And it's not entirely wrong.
If you're driving someone to a hospital, you're most likely going to be stressed out and feel rushed. Dangerous combination.

If you have to do this, make damn sure you're still driving smoothly. Chances are you won't, and that's more dangerous than the minor speeding itself.

I know. And you'll probably be more alert next time. Some things you just have to experience first before realizing what's going on.
Don't sweat it too much, many people have never had to deal with a similar situation and many who did, also fucked it up.

As with everything in life, take it slow and smooth. It's not easy to really train yourself to stay calm in every situation, but you should try.
Take the time to look at your options. It feels "wrong" because you assume you have to gtfo fast, but you'll end up making the better decision.

Like I said, don't sweat it too much. We all fuck up in new situations sometimes.

Looking at this pic, why was he even trying to get into the second lane? There's a huge intersection right there to make any lane changes he wants.. No roads immediately to the right..

I think you did the right thing. You left room for the guy in front (left lane) to pull in front of you and out of the way AND you left room for the ambulance to go in front of you if that's what he chooses to do.

Assuming that the ambulance wasn't actually behind you, and that your pic is accurate, and that you didn't SLAM the brakes or something unexpected, about the only thing you could have done better is indicate right and pull as far towards the right black cars as possible to make it plainly obvious "this is me pulled over".

Ambulance probably just had a slightly different route in mind and didn't realize the other, easier opportunities you gave him.

When people get adrenaline, they really do get tunnel vision. For all we know the ambo driver was quite green himself.

>people only honk when something is wrong
you're a fucking idiot.

he was honking so you had a tangible idea of his location.

fucking moron.

>Assuming that the ambulance wasn't actually behind you
No, he was positioned axactly as on the pic. Behind me and to the left.
>and that you didn't SLAM the brakes or something unexpected
I was going like 10-5kmph and then stopped as soon as I saw the ambulance behind me and after I looked over the gap between me and the car in the left lane. Now I do drive a van at work that is the same model as the ambulance only in civil colours and I DO KNOW that he would fit there.
>indicate right and pull as far towards the right black cars as possible
That's what I eventually did after he started honking.

I think we both made a mistake. I will try harder next time.

I knew where he is because he was using his siren the whole time. There was no need for the extra honking.

OP what you did was right. You cant just fly into the right lane because an amerlamps in on your left. Also, by going forward you would just block him since you cant just drive through a red light.
Stupid ambulance drivers dont know how to drive. They only know how to drive when everyone gets out of their way.

Doesn't matter retard. An ambulance will honk like a motherfucker every time it tries to fit through a single lane with cars on both sides

You did the right thing.