Remember when luxury cars were luxury cars and not sport sedans with a nice interior?

remember when luxury cars were luxury cars and not sport sedans with a nice interior?

Other urls found in this thread:

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/6038055024.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

in general I remember when "luxury" actually meant something.

"luxury" in the 80's and 90's was wood trimmed interiors, leather seats, straight body lines that were simple but elegant, and power everything inside.

today, luxury means really just a black version of whatever the base car it's based on is, but with a pretentious "modern" interior design, and as big an ipad as they can stick on the center console.

basically, just """modern""" interior design applied to cars.

when you look at the difference between the early 90's Town Car and the early 90's Crown Vic or Grand Marquis, you can see a clear difference.

the GM and CV were both rounded and following modern trends, (as well as both taking design cues from the taurus)

the Town Car meanwhile, was just an updated version of the 80's car. it was still boxy, but with softer edges it was "elegant". a concept which is lost on modern luxury car design.

pic not related?

American "luxury" cars are jokes

still a better luxury car than a modern lincoln, that's for sure.

I live next to a really well off community, and at least 2 houses have mint condition early 90's town cars. and they just look really nice. they look relatively classy with their straight bodylines. modern lincolns are awful, and the continental itself is so blatantly a rip off Jaguar it hurts.

not to mention how pigfat they are.

My boat's pretty comfy to drive, desu.

these things cant even be considered luxury theyre just tarted up shitboxes

this is a luxury car from that time period

the Continental is much of the same as the old Town Car

Mercury was pretty nice as the mid tier option.

not too luxury like the Town Car, but not basic peasant Crown vic either.

a comfy 'right in the middle" car.

performance is a luxury

>buzzwords, buzzwords, more buzzwords, irrelevant nonsense and buzzwords

should i buy this?

longisland.craigslist.org/cto/6038055024.html

>these things cant even be considered luxury theyre just tarted up shitboxes
and yet they were considered luxury. Greatest Gen had a hardon for American luxury brands.

it was Boomers who preferred European luxury because it made them feel highbrow.

stop liking what i dont like

>not an argument, not an argument, not an argument, and not an argument

>garaged for most of it's 40 years

make sure it's in working order, keeping a car garaged that long is always a problem.

Im not sure on what the right value for those 70's lincolns is like though, but if you like it go for it, if you can deal with the upkeep

ahh so boomers stopped being blinded by patriotism and got real opinions

>remember when luxury cars were much more crudely built and had to compensate for lacking refinement through wobbly boat suspension and unergonomic overly plush grandma sofas?

Seems a bit high, unless it's in factory condition.

I saw a 67 Imperial about a week ago and immediately wondered why Chrysler isn't making a LWB 300 and calling it an Imperial. The dream is truly dead.

Because nobody trusts Chrysler after the 2000s and Fiat is shit?

Remember when luxury cars weren't just gussied up versions of a car that was half the price

>rebadging shitbarges as luxury
Ah yes, the American way.

Cadillac Cimarron rings a bell.

gr8 b8 m8

you should stop posting ugly barges with zero lumbar support and post an actual comfy car

i approve of this post

The 300 really isn't bad, outdated yes, they have no business selling the LX platform in 2017, but not bad.

Being not bad doesn't make it Imperial good.

i have a 9-3 wich is nowhere as near as comfy, my dad had a 9-5 aero just like that. Comfiest ever confirmed

seems like audi is the only company that can make full size barges properly these days
my friend has a 2016 and it's way better than a comparable s class or a 7er,mostly has to do with the exterior and interior,you can also hide the infotainment screen which is a big plus imo

What killed it for me was the mid 2000s when GM starting using standard parts for all makes. So Cadillac and a Pontiac had the same button design. In the 90s when you stepped into a Lincoln/Cadillac/Buick etc you KNEW because each interior was custom to that car

>GM started using standard parts for all makes in the 2000s
t. Retard
They started way earlier than that

>ywn cruise around down a suburban road with one hand on the steering wheel and one out the window in your large land barge knowing that you own the road while listening to zz top
just fuck my shit up

A8 is a nice car, but not quite near the level of S class and even lagging behind the 7er due to age alone. Hopefully the upcoming generation will change that.

have you even seen what hyundai has done?
they are out classing the germans

>it's a some dude takes his name off and posts outside of his containment thread episode

i'm genuinely impressed, for today's standards this looks pleasant

pontiac and oldsmobile were the comfy option for gm
now it's gone

>literal copypaste mix of previous gen Audi/BMW/Merc interior features
>outclassing
Okay. Looks tidy.

Why are suede interiors no longer a thing? So comfy.

Sat in a G90 at a auto show in Atlanta recently, and I thought the rear seats were contesting the A8's, but it did lack several of the modern luxury features that Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes use. The most glaring detractor from the interior to me is the roof. Only the drivers get a moon roof, and it's only a regular one (i.e. not panoramic or anything cool). So, looking down at your lap, you feel luxury, but look up, and you could think that you're in a Camry except with vanity mirrors.

I saw it in person at the auto show yesterday. It was clearly cheaply made in person. God damn, it felt shitty.

Also sat in the new Continental and it was fantastic. Rear seats were closer in form and function to the S-Class than an A8.

sage for tangent

Where are the ash trays

Right above the light. Every door has it's own ash tray and lighter back then.

Dude 90s Panthers are cheap. Just do it.

Having driven both a Town Car and Grand Marquis, I can tell you they're comfy as fuck.

>post an actual comfy car
>posts a Vauxhall Cavalier

I see what you did there, I see it.

I want a car with an interior like that some day

My 1998 deville didn't have generic GM parts in it yet

Confirmed for never sitting in a 9-5.

This guy knows I have yet to come across a car with better seats.

I love my 97. Digi dashes are the shit.

I guarantee you it does

>anything but an S600

No.

That's velvet asshat

Yeah it does.

There are more caddy-only parts in it, but if you unfold the entire partsbin catalog, you'll find that there is quite a bit shared. That being said, that generation of Deville probably had the most caddy-specific content compared to other caddy cars and more recent generations.

The GM parts sharing started in the 60's, and got progressively worse. The 1980's is when they said "fuck it" and stopped caring about drivetrains etc. By the 90's the only difference between base to mid-level Buick, Chevy, and Pontiac sedans was the badge on the outside.

My LS430 is full of ashtrays. I have two in the back for the kids.

Nigga my dads brand new S6 has ashtrays and lighters in the back on both armrests. It's an American thing to not smoke in the car

Smoking is trashy as fuck. Even in Le Europe

I blame the 3 series for this

I got my 92 DeVille for a grand. Just go buy a barge, faggot.

The 3 series has been popular since the 80s. The whole sport sedan luxury thing didn't catch on as a whole until the 2000s

I stand corrected, but I was referring more to interior trim parts, did buicks really look like this on this inside?

compared to the 2000s era cadillacs where everything looks like the kind of plastic garbage you find in a chevy

its the better thing not to smoke in a car
go take your degenerate habit somewhere else

>american """""luxury""""" cars
lmao