I accidentally bought a stolen car, please help

I found my dream car, an 86, for $500, and bought it. When I tried to get it registered I tracked down the last registered owner. They told me that the car was stolen in 1992. They don't want the car back, but what do I do to legally get the car? In Texas, btw.

buy a shitbox 80s fwd corolla with a title, cut the van plates out, weld them into your shit box 80s rwd corolla. nobody will know the difference.

Well get the guy to give you the title. Or just go through the headache of getting the car registered at the DMV

vin plates*

Depends on if the previous owner got a payout from his insurance company for it or not. If not, just get a copy of the title and mail it to him to sign off on. If he did, forget about registering it and just use it for track OR get a shitbox 86 and vin swap.

>dream car
>old rusty econobox
wut

Unless you can get registration from the old owners, usually with $ persuasion, you will have to shell swap it.

Do not cut the Vin plates and swap them, it is a felony.

Just get another that's completely fucked and swap everything over.

You can also cut the uni body out of the sheet metal in large quantities and replace to obtain the new Vin, but you better be doing huge chunks and get all stamped locations.

post high res pics of it

No. Not posting pics of a stolen car online so someone can call the cops.

Ask them to title it over to you and pay them 50 dollars

>old shitbox for 500 bux
>20 years later
That has definitely past the statue of limitations

dont we need the vin or license plate which you can censor.....

god youre stupid I just wanted to see your sweet ride.

This thing has me scared. I've got it covered because I'm paranoid that the cops will bust my door in.

Nigga the statue of limitations is way up. Not only that you probably don't even need the title to register it in Texas.

>cops driving by
>hey Martinez, isn't that the Toyota that stolen in'92?

>scared

bruh its a shitty corolla not a stolen McLaren F1. nobody cares

Give it back, Tyrone.

It's an 85 actually.

>Cop
>Martinez

Implying a dirty spic can be a cop

ever played san andreas

>Sonnova bitch, i chased his ass all the way down the touge in '95. I swore id get this fool if it was the last thing i do

you don't think there are any spainish american cops?

You can't be this ignorant...

Ever watched COPS, DEA, or border control shows?
Being a fluent mexican spanish speaker makes interrogations a helluva lot easier.

Get whatever good parts you can off this one then start cutting it apart.

Lesson learned.

>They don't want the car back
Who don't want it back? The DMV? The Police? The owner?
If it's really 25 years then you sure as hell are in the clear and should be able to register it.

if it's ever taken to a shop or heaven forbid your state required inspections someone's going to raise an eyebrow as to why a front wheel drive corolla is rear wheel drive.

Best bet's to get the original owner to sign the title over to you if at all possible and have it look like a legit sale on paper.

>2017
>not swapping vin plates

No, OP obviously stole this car.

Give it back, Jamal

Never buy a car without seeing the clean title first.

Forget that piece of shit. 500 bucks is a cheap lesson. Be glad you didn't pay more.

Also change what you dream of. That's a shitbox and it was a shitbox new.

We all make babby mistakes so don't feel too bad.

Why can he dream of a shitbox? What are you? Thought police?

500 dollar drift missile.

Part it out, use the money to buy one with a clean title.

Isn't that a felony?

Just find the owner and settle this shit with him. Don't be a dipshit. Don't do anything illegal with it.

DO NOT swap VINs. You can get a bonded title legally if the previous owner doesn't dispute.

he already found the owner you dip shit can you not read

you literally don't even need the owner. If he knows no one is going to come and claim the car, he can get a bonded title for it and have a full title in like a year or something.

Hilarious

I like the idea of this being the beginning to an Veeky Forums movie more than American initial d

Summer. Summer '92 is when my life fell apart. I can still remember that August night well. It filled me with the bitterness that turned me into the man you see before you today. My partner, Martinez, was equally ruined by this event.

October. October '94. That's when my wife left me. Martinez faced a similar break up in early '95. We found ourselves obsessed with this car. We had to find it. During this three year time period, our precinct was faced with numerous issues: The winter of '93 saw an increase in drug distribution and the summer of '94 saw record high murders.

This car was not connected, but we couldn't help ourselves. The idea of a criminal getting away with car theft in the haze of coke and blood was unsettling.

Martinez took a long drag from his cigarette and blew it out the window. He looked at bright orange sky for what seemed like an eternity before he turned to me.

"Let's get that son of a bitch."

>Martinez
You have to go back

why should the goobernment be able to tell you what you can or can't do to your car?

This Figure out where it was stolen, and what the laws in your state are when it comes to the statute of limitations. With many states it's three years after the discovery of the crime, and Michigan it's six years. IANAL, but you're most likely fine. If the real owner gives you guff, give them $50 or something to shut up.

Veeky Forums please GO

>IANAL

>IANAL
>I am not a lawyer
????

kek'd tbqhwyf

r u new here?

no, just take off the body and keep the chassis and engine and transmission

Quit it with your fancy lawyer accronyms

What you've never seen a Hollywood movie or something? Get out

B-but user, I'm not a lawyer...

So, original owner; old lady, found the title and will be sending it to me. Since the investigation was closed, I'm going to title it and register it to me as well as hang on to a copy of a letter she's writing saying that she gave me the title to the car.

Now I can live my shitbox togue dreams.

Not a nigger.

Joke's on you, the car is haunted and steals itself by driving away into other people's driveways and then causing them to get arrested.

Hey, nice. Score one for you.

Now can you post pictures of the car?

When I get back to where I've got it.

Please keep us updated the whole way through.

I'm sick as fuck and this made me laugh so hard my chest hurts.

Well this turned out to be a neat little story.

GIVE
IT
BACK
TYRONE

Brilliant idea, that won't make it worse at all!

KEK-ilicious

Congrats, hope the car makes you happy. Don't crash!

>don't have him ripping grass and throwing it into the air

come on, that's an incomplete meme at best.

FYI, the federal government provides a free vincheck for stolen vehicles. It doesn't provide Carfax info but will tell you if it has been reported stolen.

Is this the pilot to S3 of True Detective?

>IANAL
you learn this on reddit?

Why didn't you confirm the sellers ID with the title holders name?

Car buying 101.

Slashdot, actually, quell your mammaries.

>protoredditor
damn you got me.

ITT: OP does something illegal while trying to get a beat to shit 30 year old rustbox, so he can emulate his chinese cartoon hero and proceed to do more illegal activities. Let's clap our hands for OP!

yes. nobody gives a fuck though. ive registered cars from '56, '70, '82, '94, '98, re-titled across states, had new titles constructed from bill of sale, etc, i have NEVER had someone look at my VIN EVER. nobody gives a flying fuck about your old ass toyota shitbox. absolutely nobody.

Oh shit he did something that goes against the law. What a degenerate.

>it's okay to break law be cause I say so
No it's not

Welcome to Veeky Forums