Scion tC/ cars like it

What is your opinion on the older scion tc? Are they reliable as a DD, cheap to maintain, and when something significant does break, is it cheap to replace?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FE
toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/
youtube.com/watch?v=e5yjsEevoOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kRE_7eFQli0
richmond.craigslist.org/search/cta?min_price=2000&max_price=8000
richmond.craigslist.org/cto/6068861706.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hear they're pretty fast and reliable.

The only good tC's are all 2011+.
2005-2010 models are known for oil consumption, shit interior quality. Aside from that, yes, they are reliable

It's a corolla coupe for boyracer faggots. Just get a civic for 3k.

the 2008s are reliable and have really good power potential

its a really good daily driver, but the community is full of fucking kids

doesnt know what he is talking about

its also closer to a 2 door camry in terms of engine size and transmission

its looking like my next car will be a civic honestly. i know the tc isnt the fasting thing in the world and its no sports car but its definitely faster than what i have now.

the tc appeals to me because its a toyota, i dont care what anyone says, and I have always wanted a toyota. it looks stylish, especially in black like pictured, and its surprisingly cheap and in my price range, all while having fairly low mileage for what it is. like i said i know its not fast but it looks quick and honestly has almost double the power what i have.
the only drawback seems to be what you said about the community being full of kids, and thats generally who i see driving a tc around, but still thats not enough to deter me from getting one,

>doesnt know what he is talking about
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FE
toyotaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/
>Toyota still insists that burning 1 quart of oil every 1200 miles is "normal".

And the TRD supercharger had problems because Vortech, who made it, used shit bearings. Said bearings would wear out prematurely and the vibrations would kill the entire engine. That's why it was discontinued.

Trust me get a 2011+ tC if you want one. They're better in EVERY single way. I've driven both a first gen and a second gen, and the difference is fucking night and day.

The first gen, aside from the oil issues, supercharger issues, and crap interior (and I grew up with American cars, so that's saying something), it is reliable.
But the second gen fixed literally EVERYTHING.

hmmm the oil problem kind of bothers me. i dont want to spend a shitload on constantly topping off oil. also can you explain how the interior is shit? like it rattles and makes noises or it just feels cheap?

A civic is better in every way. If you get it are you going to keep it stock?

of course, i might change the rims to black ones and get wider tires or some shit because i hate skinny ass tires but other than that i wouldnt touch it. but civics dont get 160 hp. still more than my current set of wheels but not 160. and if i did get one i would want it to be at least an 06 to a 10, those look the best imo.

>also can you explain how the interior is shit? like it rattles and makes noises or it just feels cheap?
both, but I have to say the biggest and most annoying interior fault was the radio... or rader the little cubby door for the radio. Not only is it made from the cheapest plastic that even the Chinese would reject, but it's incredibly flimsy.

Second gen cars don't have that issue because that door was eliminated.
youtube.com/watch?v=e5yjsEevoOQ

If you like them because they're toyota, look for a RS. They're rare but still somehow close to the base model prices and they were designed by TRD. Some even came supercharged. I almost got a RS last year but ended up not pulling the trigger because I was moving and wanted to feel comfortable at my new job first.

>Some even came supercharged
see:
>And the TRD supercharger had problems because Vortech, who made it, used shit bearings. Said bearings would wear out prematurely and the vibrations would kill the entire engine. That's why it was discontinued.
and this
youtube.com/watch?v=kRE_7eFQli0

my price range would be like

Yea, I wasn't suggesting to get one, simply was stating it for him. Your comment came in as I was typing mine out.

Check out lancers too, they should fulfill your needs if you don't find a tc that fits the budget/mileage range you're looking for. Shop around, don't get too attached to one thing or one idea.

i actually was looking at post 07' lancers, they look great and have the same power as a tc however 2010 lancers cost the same as an 07 or 08 tc

Post your local Craigslist

Also have you test drove any yet? If you want manual, make sure you find one and don't compromise because the slap shift in it SUCKS. That'd another reason I didn't pull the trigger on the RS. The slap shift is delayed like a full second before it shifts. Completely unusable. Otherwise, if you're fine with auto and have no interest in stick or slap shift, then nbd for you.

richmond.craigslist.org/search/cta?min_price=2000&max_price=8000

no i have to wait until something shits out in my current car before i can get a new one trying to btfo out of it to get something new

First thing that pops up is a corolla S for me hah and honestly, I'd consider those too if I were you. It's in the same league as the cars you're looking at and can be found at the same price, given some time and searching.

yeah all of those are nice and much better performance wise compared to what i have. i cant really decide what i want or what is best for me. i really want reliability and low maintenance cost but i also want some performance

i owned a gen 1 tc and never had oil burning issues

the trd supercharged scions are shit tho

yeah i dont want one with a supercharger, it seems tempting but it apparently has too many problems plus there are not any around me

You're looking at the right cars then, at least if you think you're gonna have some spare change later for aftermarket. If you only need 2 seats and don't mind a tiny car I'd also consider a gen 3 mr2. Very reliable engines, not the fastest thing in the world but it would be way more fun to drive than a tc, lancer, ect I guarantee it. I went from a 944 S to a speed3 and honestly, I wanna say I had more fun in the Porsche, despite having over 150 more whp in the mazda. The power to weight ratio, weight distribution, curb height, ect. Make sure you consider all those things when you're thinking of fun. Not just hp and torque.

>Scion
Lol

>literally toyota

Actually cancel everything I said and fucking toss your current car off a cliff so you can buy this right now
richmond.craigslist.org/cto/6068861706.html
Do not pass that up.

that looks nice as well but im looking for a DD honestly, and something to cruise around in on my free time and just enjoy the drive. thats why tc, civics, lancers, subarus and corolla s' appeal to me. cheap, reliable (for the most part), good maintenance costs, all with enough power under the hood.

>richmond.craigslist.org/cto/6068861706.html
i always wanted a mazda, a friend of mine owns one and loves it, i would have to find someone to teach me manual though

It's exceptionally easy, buy that now before it's sold seriously. Speed miatas are a bitch to come by and are fantasic. Treat it well too and I guarantee you it's gonna keep its value in 5 years.

>the 2008s are reliable and have really good power potential
Okay Juan, we don't need another ebay Turbo TC with a park bench and a SCION TC banner across windshield. If you want to make good power get a different car, not the highschool commuter for a 16 year old boy.