Trying to climb a hill in your 2WD Land Cruiser
Tayburb
Trans-America Trail
LED vs HID vs Halogen
ARB Bumpers
Suburban general
Shitposting general

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=suburban&sort=date&hasPic=1&max_auto_year=2006
autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion
youtu.be/g9nGMXCCcvg
forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/170397-2004-modified-Land-Rover-Discovery-SE7-7-500
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hey ORG

i want a comfy, relatively large daily that can handle fucking god awful roads, hell on earth heat and is reliable enough to take on long roatrips.

I've testdriven FJ's, and i really like them, and was about to pull the trigger until i found out i could get a J100 Cruiser for a bit less, which is in theory a comfier, much luxurious car.

What do you guys recommend? FJC or J100 LC?

I'm not that interest in aftermarket or rock crawling. Just need something big and comfy to handle flash floods, awful terrain, etc.

thanks!

aww I made the OP :3

do they even make 2wd land cruisers or is this an ebin meme

>relatively large
Pretty much rules out the fj cruiser

a 100 series land cruiser is better in every single way (except gas mileage.)
more robust
better components
more durable
more reliable
better interior
better exterior
dat v8
more comfortable

i can keep going if you want but once you test drive one you wont ever be able to go back.

>f gay loser
>ever

A meme made by insecure suburban owners

I'm thinking of buying an 8th or 9th gen suburban/ because it checks off 3 of my wants in my next car:
1) 7 seater+
2) good in snow
3) can fit 4x8 sheets flat with the tail closed.

are there any other cars that can do this that i should consider? if not, are there specific model suburbans i should avoid/get? are escalades the same thing? i dont really know shit about them..

feel free to make craigslist suggestions newyork.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=suburban&sort=date&hasPic=1&max_auto_year=2006

thanks user

i'll see if i testdrive a local one for sale soon.

Anything i should look out for?

Are these things commonly clocked? (odometer messed with) one of the ones i saw had suspiciously lower mileage than the other. (140k km vs 220k) Anything i should look for for signs of wear?

The ESV is essentially the same but with a better interior and auto AWD instead of selectable 4WD.

FJ 75 is much better. But good luck finding them.

You could do worse. Worth looking at 4Runners and Lexus GX400/GX470 that shares the same platform.

You've got to chose my man. If you want long comfortable roadtrips without losing a fortune on gas you don't get an off road car. If you want a good off roader, going on road trips with it would not be a financially responsible decision. Most good off roaders aren't really that comfortable on the highway either.

>forcing memes
>random fucking list no one asked for
>shill has no one to reply to with random code dropping except another shillpost bc no one really wants to talk about toyotas
Kek it's so sad this display.

Anyway

how much does your ass hurt

Got my first 4wd. How would this lol fella be for basic things like beach riding and simple trails up in the mountains for doing a bit of camping?

Any advice is welcome.

My 5100s came in today. Gonna put 'em on this weekend and finally have a comfy trug again

autoweek.com/article/recalls/toyota-frame-settlement-could-cost-company-34-billion

I just picked up mine.
>When will you pick up yours?

So what your saying is since I got it for really cheap it's gonna be a great beater truck! Thanks man :)

>Literally just snagged this baby today
Don't need any big towing here, just looking for a comfortable sensible fun time hang gliding and water skiing, just skydiving with the family. I want to be able to park on sand and play the kewl tunes out of the stereo while we have a fun time in the sun :))) I'm thinking some nice cold ice teas and my trrusty toyota and the family, just spending a bit of quality time together, speedboating at the cottage. Or for those cozy nights with you and wifey confinently eating up miles of starry night moonlit backroads. I think a [TOYOTA MODEL] would be a perfect comfy vehicle that we can depend on.

probably unpopular opinion here but I think a modern half-ton crew cab short bed truck would foot the bill for what you're looking for fairly well. most of them are capable of getting 20mpg but still having lots of power, there are countless options for tires and suspension so you can make it do whatever you want with their width and length being about the only drawback. so sure they aren't good for narrow trails or climbing over shit but they'll eat up rough roads and terrain all day long.

assmad fjc owners who are jealous of people who can actually offroad their dd

I'm thinking about getting another truck. Primary use will be occasionally moving motorcycles around, but I wanna be able to do some offroading, like wannabe-prerunner fuck around in the desert stuff and some overlanding. Not really interested in crawling but hey, who knows. I don't like huge trucks, I do like manual and 4wd. I won't be DD'ing it.

I kinda want a first gen Dakota, a K10 or maybe a Bronco. Any of these any semblance of a good idea or should I shut the fuck up and get a Tacoma?

If you're not even dding it i wouldn't bother paying the ridiculous tacoma tax

youtu.be/g9nGMXCCcvg

fucking aussies

so you're saying your ass is hurting a lot
gotcha
thanks friendo

Man the suburban guy is really assmad he got btfo so hard in the other thread. Pitiful desu.

Suburban guy from the other thread here. That's not me.

>i-i wasnt the g-guy who got btfo t-trust me that was s-someone else

You still lack reading comprehension, I see.

I'm beginning to think this actually a Suburban guy at all, but some aspie trying to discredit Suburban guys.
In terms of recreational vehicles, I think the crewcab Pickups are often overlooked in these threads. Apart from the wheelbase of a fullsize they're an extremely practical bodystyle. There's always midsize options like Colorado or Tacoma if the fullsize is too big.

>watch first 20 seconds
Aussie here, that fucking idiot shouldn't be operating a chainsaw.

>I'm beginning to think this actually a Suburban guy at all, but some aspie trying to discredit Suburban guys.
Told a guy last thread to stop losing his mind and shitposting threads to death everytime someone mentioned a Suburban or even a fullsize truck. Looks like he's trying a new approach.

good fucking lord
sharpen your fucking teeth

Yep.
No kidding. Seems to make hard work out of such a soft wood. Even the base model Stihl MS170 would rip through that.
Well, that and the whole standing on the limb you're cutting off...

Nice, my dude. Love my 5100s, makes for a nice ride

The fairy dirtmother came today.

>five lugs
YJ guy?

umad?

sup

>UAZed for it!
>You got it!

This XJ guy.

No idea what that thing is but I want one. Holy shit.

Dude those fat tires are gonna look badass on your XJ

I know, I'm fucking dying to get them on. But I have to wait until my buddy can get me into the shop so we can get it all installed. He makes bro trucks for local dealerships, so it'll be a couple weeks before he has time. I could do it myself, but I'd much rather use the shop and have his help.

Not exactly like FJs have great gas mileage. I have a buddy clocking a solid 16 at best with his.

Any way you could get one outside the rust belt?

Yeh I getcha. I always get really hyped when I have new parts ready to go on, can't wait to see the new wheels, man!

how stupid would I be to buy this? I want to offer him 5500-6500. I have a reliable dd I just want a weekend car that I can take out for long trips camping and learn how to wheel in.

forgot link
forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/170397-2004-modified-Land-Rover-Discovery-SE7-7-500

not bad at all. you're saving a lot by buying it already upgraded (but you don't get to choose the upgrades, of course)

however, interior and some hood parts tend to break down every few ten thousand. it'd be worth getting another scrap $2500 discovery to replace interior parts that go and some mechanical parts. otherwise you're dealing with jaguar land rover directly and that shit costs money and energy. when the carbs give out, if you have the buick engine, try their injectors / carbs. when the plugs go out, buy them off amazon / ebay and not "Certified" distributors. etc

>5100s
>nice ride

I guess compared to blown stock shocks.

Compared to the stock shocks my truck had, it's a world of a difference. Could be better, but could also be a lot worse

This is what I've read. It's like stock < Rough Country < Bilstein (though my Taco has Bilsteins stock cuz TRD but they aren't the same) < Old Man Emu < King/Icon/Fox

Also, I have been meaning to ask you. Who makes your bumper? I thought Trail-Gear, but it doesn't look it. I swear I've seen it before, but I've checked every bumper vendor I can recall, and I don't see it.

Mine had the TRD bilsteins too, and the 5100s are still a huge upgrade.

Bumper is a trailgear, but with an extra hoop welded to the top. It's sold separately on their website under "bumper accessories" and you have to weld it on yourself.

Ah ok. Yeah he bulk of it looked like TG to me, but I didn't recall them having a hoop on theirs. Just plain or stinger. Either way, nice choice. A long time in the future, when I can finally afford a front bumper, I am considering TG.

Yeah I like the bumper. It's not as heavy as a plate bumper but still softens the ride up front (considering I still have the stock coils). Plus is has space for a winch, which will be helpful since I just have the Prerunner.

The weight is definitely a reason I like tube over plate. I mean plate is beastly, but my truck is my DD and I cbf to have a shitton of weight with plate rear and front.

This is what I have on my rear right now. It's from 4xInnovations, but I believe it's an older version since it doesn't have the class 3 hitch built in. I got it off CL for $300 + my stock bumper. Not bad, considering this bumper new is $473, and that's before shipping and unpainted.

Oh also, why'd you opt for the Prerunner? You're into wheeling, ya? Seems like an odd choice for a wheeler.

Yeah I daily mine too, so I'm in the same boat.

I like the rear bumper. A friend of mine is selling their TG rear bumper soon so I'll probably buy that once they're done with it. That, and some All-Pro sliders are what I have planned as far as armor goes

I didn't expect to do much off-roading, if any, when I bought the truck, so I just got the TRD Prerunner since it was cheaper, plus it was one of only few clean 1st gens in the area when I bought it.

I dig the TG rears as well. Pretty much any tube rear with some sort of bedside protection is a-ok by me. And saving money on used is always a fine choice.

I've got 4xInnovation's sliders. If money were not an option, I'd have chosen something else, but 4X has the best price on sliders and they serve their purpose well. After this close call, I definitely saw the need for them. Thank god for good spotters. Newbie with no sliders and worn stock parts is a bad recipe.

Ah that makes sense. Well you're also in CA so you have a lot of options that aren't just rocky and muddy trails in the woods. You can do /org/ stuff that you can get away with having no 4x4. I'm in NJ, so it's sort of necessary if you wanna wheel.

Fuuuark m8 I know your pain more than you do in regards to finding a clean truck. Salt belt life is suffering, especially with 1st gens.

Yikes. Yeah luckily I haven't scraped on anything just yet, but better safe than sorry with armor.

But yeah out in SoCal I do a lot of desert trips where Prerunner does just fine (until I lose my momentum). Luckily my camper gives me a bit of extra traction, and the factory locker makes it so I can still do most easy-to-intermediate trails.

Gotta get rid of these horrible tires, though. That kind of doesn't help.

anyone want to buy a 2003 5.3L 2WD Suburban with some dents in the side, a vacuum leak and a slipping transmission? 163k miles. I heard from a lady at autozone that these iron block Vortecs are desirable for offroaders. Vehicle is located in Florida

I haven't hit on the body yet. I do fairly well driving, but armor is still needed. My IFS cries.

Yeah I sort of envy your region. I mean rocky hills and shit are fun as hell, I have no problem with them. But you have more variety out there.

For sure. Your tires will make a huge difference. They certainly aren't helping you now...

how do i stop snapchat from flipping and stretching my gopro clips and pics god damn fuck

ah /org/. never change

don't use snapchat
problem solved

gee thanks guys

Just curious, how many of you run CB radios out on the trails?

Go be a millenial fuckwit somewhere else

fuck you faggot
you're probably 21 don't act like you're having a midlife crisis

>having to install a rear locker when everyone else gets them factory nowadays.
FML

Well considering my shocks are blown to shit and they aren't even the TRD bilsteins I'm expecting a significant improvement.

If I was hauling ass across whoops and such I would have sprung the extra cash for a set of Fox DSC resi's but the 5100s were on sale and tax free. Plus I mostly just crawl along trails and BLM/pueblo roads anyway. If those conditions manage to blow one of the 5100s I'll buy Foxs and personally come suck your dick.

I run race radios. Less traffic than CB but you still don't need a license to use it like a HAM radio.

They gave black lives matter their own fucking roads? Fucking nigger privilege.

i heard they were going to loosen the requirements for ham
have you heard that?

What do you drive, user

I would say "ah /org/, never change" again. But no. Change dis pls

>disappointay'd.png

Anyway, /g/ or another board would probably help out more. Post webms and jpegs in the meantime, though. Sounds like a snapchat compression issue, though. Might have no fix if you're transferring across platforms.

Why even translate gopro through sc? Just use the standard camera since they're really off anyway

i am stealing this birb thank u

Haven't heard of that. Hope not desu, because then all the HAM channels will be flooded with Mexicans who don't have any license to illegally broadcast their shitty mariachi music.

Looks fun, man. Where at?

>666
Nice evil digits. I just run a baofeng on simplex frequencies. Don't have a license but we get no trouble from crusty old hams.

Sheep crossing, on the verde river, AZ

Nice 3rd gen, m8. And great color choice.

Thanks its been a blast so far.

an ohsheven fjc

i'll fight you crownon

Oh I recognise that colour! Did you get a tube bumpie for it?

Is that the new 2017 grill or is that just a lower trim? How are rock slider and skid plate support on these?

Its a 2016 grill, im a casual so i dont know.

never too late to start

yeah
metaltech tube w/bash plate

Id like to learn, i grew up riding motocycles amd dirtbikes. This is my first 4x4.

well at least you have the dirt bikes. those things are hella fun

>ak variants
>tay yoda
>inb4 i'm giving ISIS advice on how to offroad
learn where you can go by keeping it in 2wd for as long as possible. invest in some traction aids or a comealong

also, is that an archery target in the bed? you may also want to buy a $30 bed net so shit doesn't fly off if you hit a rock that's slightly too big

naice. looks better than a naked fj cruiser that always gives me the chills. have you lifted it yet?
i guess you don't need to since you have stock axle clearance of something stupid like 9inches.

Not isis just in Arizona.
I want a camper shell. This truck handles rocks really well, mud not so much, just have to gas it and hope for the best.
>pic related.

>you may also want to buy a $30 bed net so shit doesn't fly off if you hit a rock that's slightly too big
head this advice user
otherwise ya might get a big ole wtf in your rear window

>looks better than a naked fj cruiser that always gives me the chills

the stock front bumpers are fucking atrocious
the chink who approved that shit should be castraded
3" OME lift
4.56 regear

If you're mudding, lower the PSI down to around 20 (max. aim for like 17. 18). it makes a huge difference. does the trim come with lockers? only rear lockers?

if you have a 12V tyre pump, you can try lowering it down to 13PSI or so and when finished, air up to 20-25PSI and limp to a gas station to refill the rest.

mudding with low PSI vs. high PSI makes a world of difference. especially on the ride quality and tyre spin control.

nice. you're a good [B]oster.
i don't always respond to you but can tell by your posts. keep up the good work, cruisinon.