/dmt/ daily manual thread

Post questions related to driving a manual car here.

I know most people recommend 1200-1500 rpms for taking off in first gear.

I can't seem to get that low or else it feels like imma stall.

usually I'm like more around the 2000rpm range. sometimes 3000ish becuase I can't seem to get my foot exact.

How badly am I fucking my car up by reving higher when driving it first

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Lol I've been doing 2000 rpm my entire life, but thats mainly because nearly every light around here is a hill start

lol I think I end up going 3000 rpm when I do hillstarts just becuase I know the rule is basically to just give it more than usual.

also in first gear is it ok to hold the biting point there for a little bit. like a second or two before starting to lift up my foot. feels like it's smoother when I do it that way as opposed to bringing up my foot as one fluid motion.

I always end up bunnyhopping

You're not fucking up anything, you'll just need a new clutch sooner.

I did this too, it's because you're forgetting to gradually apply gas as you gradually remove your foot from the clutch. Just remember that the engine is what actually moves the car.

Just find somewhere to practice moving off and do it in super slow motion, but don't forget the gas.

/pet/ poor euro thread

>disparaging others for having a skill you lack

Neoliberalism everyone

Why are shifter knobs like 70 bucks? It's fucking bullshit, i just want a plain shifter knob so that I can have something painted on it, no reason for it to cost so much.

Came to make sure this thread is the circle jerk I thought it was.

Manual newfag here. How would you take a sharp corner in a manual? What I do is as I'm approaching the corner I apply the brakes and push the clutch in, downshift but still hold the clutch in, then when I leave the corner I rev match and keep going. Is that the correct way to do it?

You can do it like that if you want I guess but I can tell you based on what I know about in the world of motorcycles that that kind of approach is considered kinda dumb.

You want to be on the throttle slightly in corners as it improves traction. Coasting through it in neutral which is essentially what you're doing by holding the clutch in is kind of silly.

Stay in gear, just downshift to where you need to be. For most corners I just downshift to the higher RPMs in 2nd gear and hold it there through the corner

I was taught to downshift before you turn, so you're in the correct gear before the corner, then hold your speed through the turn and accelerate back up to the limit on your way out.

This would probably put you into a wall driving any actual sports car, or any car in the winter. Power to wheels = good. Power to wheels = car will go in intended direction eventually. No power to wheels = car is just rolling or sliding, whichever.

Select your gear before you're turning hard so you're at part throttle, enough so you can slow down by letting off the throttle without completely closing it.

This is part of why douchefaggots with autos tend to crash. Their economy commuters stay in high gear and leave them without enough propulsion to overcome the forces invovled in cornering.

If you have a honda like your pic then 2000 is sometimes low. You can rev up to the vtec point (5-6k) without damage until the engine warms up.

Doing a differential fluid change today or tomorrow in my little echo. Should be simple stuff. For hill starts use the ebrake and apply gas.. for newbs that don't know

fuck that dude...you think my miata's e-brake is strong enough for that shit?

the best technique for hill starts is to just let the clutch out enough to where it starts grabbing and you're borderline about to stall. that will hold you in the right position long enough to get on the gas

These kinds of horizontal shift linkages make me feel sexually uncomfortable.

That technique doesn't really work on my underpowered shitbox tbqh.

Downshift before entering the corner. Never take a corner without power to the wheels.

depress clutch all the way
quickly stomp the gas pedal
get off clutch
give more gas

Can you fit your shift knob in your ass?

Where do people rest their elbows when they drive with the shifter mounted against the panel like this?

Why are you guys going off the rpm gauge when you should be going off of the feeling the car has?
You can feel when its grabbing and when its needing more gas.

Fucking this.

>FEEL THE FUCKING CAR.
>APPLY MORE THROTTLE AND RELEASE THE CLUTCH SLOWLY UNTIL YOU HAVE LEARNED.

No wonder the kikes are winning with you fucking mouthbreathers in the way.

Buy a cue-ball and appropriate tap and make your own?

Wut, arm rests are for cruising when you don't have to change gear.

Lol I'm doing 4000RPM. Lol

I am going off without looking for the most part it's just when I take a glimpse my rpms seems higher than what everyone recommends lol

I did this with a 13 ball in my first car

>tfw modern shit box has hill assist

Before that I drove stick in an old as truck with no hand brake.

Handbrake start for pussy

Random question.

Why (when sitting at a light in neutral) is it easier for my car to shift into 1st when i shift it into 2nd before hand? Sometimes I need to go 2nd -> 1st before taking off, or the car wont go into first easily.

worn first gear syncros most likely

Itt: underage kids who have been driving for 2 months try and theorize the 'art' of driving a stick shift
Lmao

Old ass ladies drive stick without thinking about it
Why the fuck does there need to be a manual thread?

youtube.com/watch?v=8By2AEsGAhU

>not pushing all four pedals in your car down to the floor

Four?

Is this loss

I know you're trolling, but I feel the need to say that most people, certainly including those old ladies you mentioned, drive manual like shit. They are fucking terrible. Don't even know what rev matching is. So I fully support these threads.

If this fucking thread helps even one single person it's more productive than 95% of Veeky Forums.

Can anybody recommend a aftermarket gas pedal extender? Heel&Toe'ing with my civic is physically painful, and sometimes makes me press the brakes too much.

Just bought a new STI. First manual car, but I've driven them before.

Have a weird question that's hard to describe.

When I'm shifting the lower gears around, when I complete the shift and go to accelerate again, the car sort of jerks. It doesn't jerk when I'm shifting, and the car car be coasting happily after the change, but as soon as I ease back into the throttle it jerks.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but how do I fix it? I literally give it 2% acceleration and it jerks.

Thanks

Not sure if this is a related issue, but new STi's have shit throttle mapping. The revs hang between gears, etc. Its irritating as hell and makes it really fucking hard to shit smoothly all the time.

the jerking your describing sounds like you have lost too much "momentum" as it were, and that lurch you are feeling is the bushings absorbing the shock of you getting back on the gas. Complete your shift quicker....

...but then you will run into the FIRT problem I mentioned in my post.

Get an accessport. Remove throttle hang. Driving happiness!

jesus christ stop looking at the tach. i DD'd manuals for a decade before i ever drove a manual with a tach.

You don't hold 1500 rpm then let out the clutch. You are increading rpm and happen to let the clutch out as it swings past 1500. So you should already be giving it more gas as you are letting out the clutch. You should be doing this slowly but still.

>throttle by wire

get rep mugen pedal covers. you can find'em on ebay for usually like 20 bucks. the gas pedal is widened near the bottom for maximum heel and toe ability, at least I assume

Lots of cars have it.

Some it works well. Others...not so much. Audis have had, by far, the shittiest mapping.

How long did the car last?

Oh shit. I've been doing this for like 1700km so far? Is my transmission kill? This thing is constantly jerking one way or another.

I've noticed the rev hang is really bad. So if I shift quicker, the revs are too high.

Weird part is I also have access to a 300zx that I drive fairly often and I don't have any of these problems. Or in really any other car I've tried.

Any way to fix the hang without mods? Subaru Canada will dick me on my warranty if they find out from what I see on the forums

Try to release the clutch in the higher gear right before entry into the turn.

say you are in 4th, you slow down for the turn put clutch in, rev match at around 3500-4000 rpm in 2nd gear. You continue to slow down getting down to 2300 rpm or so and you accelerate out of the turn.

Once you get comfortable you can just heel toe it very easily. What heel toe means is your right foot is actually applying the break the same time you are downshifting and revmatching. So you brake with one side your right foot, put the clutch in with your left foot then tap the accelerator to rev match with the other side of your right foot while the other half is still on the brake. Seems hard but super easy with practice.

You don't need to H&T in a FWD car...

I think burgers have a "parking break" pedal because it's too much effort for the fat fuckers to pull up a handbrake

Does changing out transaxle oil do anything for smoother shifting? and what about brake/clutch fluid (mazda3 uses one reservoir for both)

>Can't shit smoothly in his car
Are you even American?

The problem for me is that the gas pedal is somewhat far away from the brake, are you the pedal length compensates for that?

are you sure*

Do you honestly expect us to yank that heavy thing up?

that will annihilate your clutch.

Brit here, we can all drive manuals because automatics were historically a lot more expensive and mostly seen as a luxury. The e-brake/handbrake method is correct. Slip the clutch until you feel it bite, then give it some gas and let the brake off at the same time. You can practice on flat ground, the principle is the same.

if your ebrake can't hold you on a hill then it is broken, simple as.

my dad practically beat smoothness into my driving when i started, we used to go out and he would make me shift until he couldnt feel it, now i can drive a manual as smooth as an automatic without thinking about it. It can be done ameribros!

how exactly is that going to annihilate your clutch?

You are increasing the wear on the clutch by a huge factor.

By all means give it a go and see (and smell) for yourself.

its literally exactly the same on your clutch as using the parking brake. you CAN NOT burn up a clutch by letting it slip at 900rpm for less than a second, that is fucking absurd.

>for less than a second.

No of course it wont, i'm talking about literally holding your car in place just using the clutch waiting for a light to change or w/e

nigger, use your regular foot brakes. hand brakes are for corners.

yeah we're talking basics here, once you know your car properly hand brakes are for corners and parking.

>tfw autotragic driver now after 12 years and can only practice touge skillz in the work van

I've been driving manual for a year now and every time I try to heel-toe I can't get it to work. I'm pretty quick with the foot dance anyways but I wish I could learn heel-toe

see

What you're doing is intentionally coasting at every corner. That's very dangerous. The clutch is there to disconnect the engine allowing you to change gears. You don't "hold it in".

And why are you trying to rev-match as a beginner? It's a meme. Most people who've been driving manual their whole lives don't do it.