Twin Turbo Small Block Chevy

Has anyone here ever turbo'd a small block Chevy or something similar? I've had this idea floating around in my head and I want to start doing some research. I have extensive experience when I was younger doing 3-400hp SBC builds in my old F and G body cars, but they were all NA and would have been lucky to run 12s. I also have recent experience doing big(ger) turbo builds on a modern car which uses ECU-controlled maps, diverter valve and wastegate actuator, etc. So this would be like combining the two.

Keeping cost and simplicity in mind, would it make sense to do a carbureted setup with a carb hat? Or would some cheap, early EFI setup like something out of a third gen camaro be easy enough to get working and tuned properly? I'm looking to do this cheap. I already have a nice, quick daily. I'm looking for a weekend car to potentially kill myself with on the highway. I'll be running an MBC with twin turbos with and IC or two and meth.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/denmah/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=DVveg2sE3CA
youtube.com/watch?v=oFLqaSNp45Q
aemelectronics.com/?q=products/wideband-uego-air-fuel-controllers/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're going to be hard pressed to find info my man, most of the people on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Holley and an Edelbrock. If you're going to do an SBC then keep it carbed for simplicity I suppose, I don't think EFI off a turd gen would be very reliable.

Why not just turbo a sbe LS truck motor if you're looking for cheap and easy 500whp to kill yourself with? It would be a LOT easier and cheaper than a SBC for sure.

You can do 500 WHP with an NA LS

If you twin turbo one you should be looking for closer to 800

Twins seem like a load of work just for a fun street car though.

>You can do 500 WHP with an NA LS
but then it doesn't make choo choo noises

yo just run single turbo ls, if your still taking this on the street you'll never really get a chance to run hard enough that justifies dealing with twin turbos

800 might be a bit much. im looking for 5-600 wheel torque by 4k and wont be revving over 6k. dont care about streetability or usable powerband, just want something to rip my dick off when i hit boost for fun. ive heard great things about the LS motors obviously, but im just more familiar with the older SBCs and can get them dirt cheap, if not for free, and build them up for super cheap as well since i still have plenty of parts kicking around the garage (intake, heads, cam, fuel pump, etc).

not looking to do an NA setup at all, its mostly the challenge and learning experience of building the turbo motor that im looking for. id rather have a 500hp TT 350 then a 500hp NA LS, even if it's not as easy. figure a blow through carb will be my best bet.

i mean look at all that space. its practically begging for a set of turbos.

this guy is the shit.
youtube.com/user/denmah/videos

hah just watched a bunch of his vids. cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Get a 5.3 LS or a teksid 4.6 Ford

/thread

>5.3 LS
Lol

You do know 5.3 and 4.8 vortecs can make loads off power on stock internals right?

looks like the owner of this vehicle was ripped off, those are just alternators with oversized cooling pipes.

Kinda funny i just saw this thread and then a post on Roadkills instagram about an upcoming engine masters involving a blow through carb sbc. There should be some decent info from that when it comes out.

>pushrods

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

Congrats on your autism, hopefully you are getting treatment for it

800 is the absolute low end for a TT build. For less, go with a twin screw and a suck through carb setup, or injection throttle body and enjoy much better throttle response.
Really though, since you don't care about streetability, just go n/a with a wild cam and build it to 427 cubes with a clearanced small block. Hell, with that displacement it might still be relatively streetable.

But hey, if turbos are what you want to do and still make obly 5-600whp, just grab yourself a 6-banger.

4 ecoboost turbo's and some shop vac hose.

youtube.com/watch?v=DVveg2sE3CA

I really don't know the sbc strength for turbo pressure, but as long as you run it rich or retard the timing you wont detonate the motor. Your best bet is to do a blow through carb turbo setup and keeping it around 8psi max.

thats the best info i have, best bet is to go to forums, theres always tons of info for that on them. But my suggestion to keeping cost low, blow through carb turbo.

Search sloppy mechanics. He might have the answer you're looking for.
Worst case scenario ask him in the comments, he replies a lot.

if cost is an issue, consider that you can get a pair of t25 turbos for nothing, those would spool up faster and in a pair provide enough air to get 5.3 to 8 to 12 psi.

>I don't think EFI off a turd gen would be very reliable.
Based on what my man? Its very simple and very easy to mess with, there are tons of people out there that have perfectly running cars after buying a few special cables and spending some time diying. It'll handle a turbo no problem.
OP you can research all you want but basically you're going to have to get creative. For your goals twin turbos is just extra work, just get one big enough and be done. Check these guys out
youtube.com/watch?v=oFLqaSNp45Q

now compare the pushrod v8 to a dohc v8

>500 hp
>179 lbs
lol

>pushcucks will defend this

BTFO

>179 lbs
>of torque

>the pushcuck defended it

not everyone is trying to haul your mother around

It was setup so perfectly, how could I not go in for the kill?

rip torqelets

B T F O
T
F
O
see

Thats a sweet motor for a kit car.... but not everyone has an 1800lb car with a sequential gearbox sitting around.

Nor do they want one.

But look at me, talking to someone too poor to afford even a Mustang let alone a cadged together hayabusa V8...

t. pushcuck

Assmad GM fangirl detected

>see
>a 1/10 "mom joke" in response to my glorious 10/10 shitpost

Lol stitch your ass up

>so btfo he resorts to ad hominem

>this triggered you got btfo
>projecting your need for stitches
lol, isn't it about time for you to ragequit and cry about the big bad ford bullies?

>he ragequit
yep i called it.

>lol, isn't it about time for you to ragequit and cry about the big bad ford bullies?
No, i'm gonna quit life and sit here for 24hrs a day to try and get prezo and GM back for ruining my life... oh wait

>"everyone who triggers me is the same person!!!"
lel. nice damage control though but there's more than one person bullying you. nice to see you're still obsessed with me. stay delusional tho.

bump for trigger from obsessive pushcuck

NO DELETE THIS

most importantly find skinnier tires for the build...

A twin turbo LS will make at least 1k

I recommend a 4 barrel carb hat, edelbrock or volley make the good shit. There was a fuel pump made specifically for this, but the name escapes me, search "the winningest fuel pump" probably want to get some forged internals if you want more than 1k HP, you can get them from summit racing. If you're looking to fork some dough, nelson racing engines is probably the BEST for this specific application, he sells engines, and he has a full list of all the individual parts in his build pages.

Damn, this looks so easy. Here I am thinking I need to beef up my bottom end and get a turbo cam and all this jazz. Just bolt on a cheap turbo kit and make 600 ft lbs of torque. Fuck, I'm sold. Maybe I'll buy an old second gen camaro and do this next weekend.

>carbureted setup with a carb hat?
blow though ???
carburettors do have a charge cooling effect due to fuel atomisation
but otherwise you may find it a pita to tune due to heat build up in the exhaust manifolds
aemelectronics.com/?q=products/wideband-uego-air-fuel-controllers/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

Here's a quick one off response because I hate posting in Veeky Forums lately, get a 5.7 vortec 350 sbc motor, you now have 4 crank main, forged internals, sfi fuel system with a option for a cheap upgrade to mfi and probably the best heads you can get for 350s, get a super charger for cheap and a lt4 hot cam. Now you can also get a 4l60e teams for cheap and you won't find much better for strait line unless you do a powerglide, but there are multiple options with bell housing swaps. Now with all that done you can drop it into anything Chevy put a v8 into with almost no work again up to you, this setup will push you to 600+ hp with a retarded amount of torque 800+ on the low end for next to nothing.