Muscle reliablity

Which is more reliable as far as modern muscles go: Mustangs, Camaros or Challengers?

And how reliable would a camaro be, specifically?

Pretty much all modern cars are reliable and guaranteed to last 100k+ miles as long as you stay on top of scheduled maintenance. Especially if you buy with a warranty, chances are you'll get bored with the car and upgrade to a newer model long before anything major goes wrong

what this guy said. 4th gen F-bodies had a lot of little issues and a rear end made of wet toilet paper. but Mustangs have been reliable for as long as I can remember and the Challenger doesn't seem to have any issues other than Hellcats occasionally blowing up with really low miles.

it seems that the big V8s are fairly over-built to hold up to abuse perhaps, or it could just be that they have relatively low compression but they can take quite a beating. I can't speak to the Camaro in particular because I'm a Mustang guy but I would imagine that if they had the slightest bit of a recurring issue, the retarded fucks on here would spew it all over the place and beat it to death so badly that you'd never be able to forget it.

i feel those turbocharged engines are going to be a huge huge pain in the ass

I don't think the Camaro has any turbo options.

4 and 6 are both NA.

I believe they recently introduced a turbo 4. I could be wrong though

Camaro owner here
I'm 11K miles on my 2014 SS, having issues with my key getting stuck in the ignition. Something to do with the shifter. Fucking dealership giving me the runaround.
Other than that, everything else is fine.

>GM still fucking up ignitions
When will you learn,Bara?

>this is the current state with GM

kek, we told you it was trash

I'm going to say Challengers simply because I own one. But what said is basically true. Just keep up maintenance and don't do any stupid shit and it will last for a long time.

Pretty much all the modern murican v8s are reliable. Ls3 and lt1 or whatever the 460hp one is called. I cant keep up with it considering they've reused the titles 3 times over. From personal experience, LS motors hold up fine to super high mileage, other things like transmission(4l60e pops at 100k, t56 is good but gm put a shitty hydraulic clutch that is known to drop to the floor on trans ams, camaros, even c5 and c6 vettes) and random electrical stuff can be shitty.

The dodge "hemis" dont have any major engine failures that i know of, but if its mounted to an older auto trans itll be in the shop eventually.

Ford OHC v8s definitely go 100s of thousands as well, but are known to be a little more sensitive to sludged oil (the valves and top end doesnt like this, nor do the tight oil passages) and oil starvation will kill them in 3 seconds(extended high g force and low oil lvl). Solution? Change oil every 5-10k with full synthetic. Dont let it run low if it burns a little oil. Seems simple, but ive seen some stupid shit. Literally people running on 2 or 3 quarts and driving mountain roads, racing with friends. Dudes motor got a knock and blew shortly after. Mod motors get abused in fleet vehicles frequently (crown vic, trucks) and go 500k miles , occasional top end rebuild needed by this point. Downsides are low displacement, small bore, heavy blocks, harder to do timing on sohc and dohc.

I think one fact that is heavily overlooked, at least comparing fishface camaros to SN95s is while the Camaro had a better engine the Ford was much easier to service since it's less cramped in the engine bay.
Spark plugs are a nightmare though. That's purely bad design with the 4.6 not-very-modular. The older 5.0 SNs are IMO where it's at when it comes to value/dollar.
Foxbodies are way too expensive.

And to be fair, fords 4r70w isnt much better. It can hold power but is a rebuild waiting to happen. Also the 5 speed tremecs are plenty for the mustang but not as good as a t56 or tr6060, and only the 03 cobras and gt500s get these. Wheras all manual v8 trans ams, camaros, c5 and c6 vettes and z06 get a t56.

2011 and up stangs get the getrag mt82 manual, its a close ratio 6 speed with a 1:1 5th. The auto, (6r80 or something,iirc) is a similarly geared paddle shifting auto that can hold lots of hp, but its still an auto.

That leaves rear ends. As stated earlier, the trans am rear ends are tiny, mustang 8.8s can take a beating but can need a rebuild if abused (cover leaks, ruins gears or just whining bearings). Not sure what the challengers/chargers have been getting, hopefully a full size truck rear end like the RAM

Anything other than the chrysler will probably be reliable

I agree, although i dont think mod plugs are too hard to change. And indeed foxes have gone up beyond the 99 gt price point

Is GM STILL having ignition issues? My 2000 Oldsmobile intrigue just got recalled last year for ignition issues, and my mom's 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix had the same issue you're having
GG GM

You are so dumb

Challeneger is made by dodge you retard

They are joined companies you mong

Which is a subdivision of Chrysler you fucking dumbass

5th gen camaro owner here. Havent even had a bulb go out yet.

Yep.
I have to WIGGLE the fucking shifter to get the key to finally turn all the way back so I can pull it out.
I have to get the shifter replaced,which the dealership refuses to do, or follow a YouTube video, that instructs the viewer to pop the steering wheel column and remove the safety feature that keeps the key in the ignition when the car is in Drive.
Fucking GM

Not an argument idiots

i4 is a 300hp turbo.

you must have never had to replace a transmission in any mustang then.

so, i got 176k miles out of my 98 camaro ss vert when it finally threw a rod. i can assure you that from 55k to 176k was anything but light use. i dogged the shit out of that car. my T56 never failed me and my 10 bolt held up fine(got a bit noisy in the later years, but never had any issues other than noise).

i did have to replace a clogged primary catalytic converter though around 120k.

oh, when the car threw the rod, i drove it 30 miles home.

now driving a 2016 camaro ss M6. the t6060 is rock solid and the independent rear is a huge upgrade over the 10 bolt trash.
17k miles on the new SS and runs like a fucking top.

The Camaro is guaranteed the most reliable of the 3.
The only version of the Mustang without problems is the Shelby.
The V6 is shit.
The Ecoboost I4 is KNOWN to be the problem child of the Mustang line up.
The GT V8 has a literal Chinese manual transmission that doesn't like power.

Fun fact: The Mustang Shelby GT350 uses the same manual transmission as the Camaro I4 Turbo and V6.

The Challenger has quality control problems and electrical issues leftover from the days of Mercedes. The best version of the Challenger to get, reliability-wise, is the V6 model. Bonus points for AWD GT.

>best version of Challenger
>V6
>AWD
>Auto-only
>"""""muscle car"""""

>completely missed the phrase "reliability-wise"
I realize it's not the fastest or most impressive, but it's no slouch, the Pentastar is reliable, and the AWD has proven reliable on the Charger.

>muscle cars
>Posts pony cars
Kys

They're modern day muscle cars. There are no pony cars at the moment.

>pony cars
>muscle cars
>claiming the two are mutually exclusive

Are you guys pretending to be stupid? Dodge makes the car, not Chrysler. Dodge is its own separate department. If you're seriously trying to compare the reliability of a Chrysler 200 to a Challenger, then yeah you're retarded.

nigger mobile

>Dodge is its own separate department
Remember how the 200/Avenger were the exact same car?

or how the 300/Charger are the exact same car?

Or how the grand caravan/town and country are the exact same car?

you might be the dumbest person who has ever pretended to know anything about cars or business, either one

Your an idiot

so what the fuck is a challenger?

hint: it's not a rebadged chrysler

What retard would compare a Chrysler 200 to a Challenger? Compare the reliability of the 200 and Dart and you'd realise they're equally shitty vehicles.

As a matter of fact, the challenger is built on the same platform as the charger/300. That's why it's so fucking huge compared to the rest of the big 3.

I think what that idiot is saying is that theyre both manufactured by the same company

This.

Youre still a faggot though kys

Holy shit kys. You completely missed the point.

same platform =/= same car

also, challenger is muscle
mustang and camaro aren't

>dodge is it's own separate department
thats like saying your cousin is from different parents so its okay to fuck her

It's not okay to fuck her? Why?

It is okay to fuck her. Right?

All of them are reliable.
This. Just don't go "racing" with it so often, otherwise you will have to visit shops more often.

Mustang and Camaro aren't muscle cars.

The Challenger is the only modern muscle car, therefore, it is the most reliable muscle car.

Camaro has an Ecotec turbo 4 banger though. Also, 99% chance GM will be moving to turbo V8's eventually.

Challenger is muscle car though.

>There are no pony cars at the moment.
Camaro and Mustang have been pony cars from day 1.

>>claiming the two are mutually exclusive
They are though. Ponycars are smaller, lighter nimbler, more affordable and muscle cars are all about power, regardless of weight.

Mopar marketing department detected.

>GM
My 02' Grand Prix had that same issue, I had to fool around with the shifter to get it loose a lot of the time

That the 98 99 rod bolt failure? Ouch, it probably would have went a good while longer..

Camaro is the most reliable cause it gets a tr6060? Definitely better than a mt82 yes, but you shouldnt blow an mt82 without FI or just misshifting horribly.

Also the gt msrp is much less than a camaro, usually 8 to 10k less at a stealership.

2018 mustang gt is getting a twin disc clutch, tr6060, 12:1 compression(up a whole point), direct injection, ford racing TB and intake manifold, active exhaust, magnaride shocks option, and some other goodies like chassis reinforcement from the gt350. (Also new tires on the PP)

Thats not BS, a ford development guy let some of it slip during a crap interview.

The new camaro definitely has its performance advantages, both in power and handling.

What im wondering is, will the 460hp v8 in camaro with bolt ons outrun a bolt on 2018 gt? Currently, 5.0s dyno ~420 whp with full intake and exhaust. 12:1 and DI should do upwards of 450whp.

>2018 mustang gt is getting a twin disc clutch, tr6060, 12:1 compression(up a whole point), direct injection, ford racing TB and intake manifold, active exhaust, magnaride shocks option, and some other goodies like chassis reinforcement from the gt350.

O shit, just as I bought a 2017 GT haha.

Well on the plus side I really like the 2015-2017 styling and the 2018 touch up hasn't grown on me completely yet. Maybe if I don't trade up in a few generations I'll look into a transmission swap if the TR6060 is that much better than the MT82.

Do you have a Mustang btw? Been deliberating about whether bushing upgrades improve the shifting noticeably or whether I should just go straight for the MGW...

02 Monte Carlo checking in. My car had the exact same problem. Dealership fixed it for free I think? Might have done it myself, can't remember.