Hello Veeky Forums!

Hello Veeky Forums!
For the past, meh, 12 years it's been a hobby of mine to comb through used cars for sale and try to pick out which will appreciate, keep, or depreciate in value. I've guessed a couple correctly and sold them at more than I paid.

Which cars do you think will do this within a (mostly) attainable scenario? I'll start.

(Pic unrelated, creepychristian is creepy)

Other urls found in this thread:

lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/thekoenigseggfamilylyrics.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Depreciate
S55 AMG
All SLKs
Ford Raptor
5th gen Mustang GTs

>Appreciate
BMW M Roadster
Boxster S 986
Lotus Esprit
Alfa Spider
E39 M5
Lancer Evo IX

>Will not depreciate for stupid reasons
Jeep Wrangler
WRX

>appreciate
Jeep Cherokee 2nd Gen
Jag XJ-S
FD RX7
Probably 1st gen Miata

>depreciate
Jeep Grand Cherokee
BMW M3 e46
All Jaguar after 1996
BMW X5
Range Rover (like a rock)

I can't really see 996s depreciating any more while 986s appreciate

>young Uncle Fester

I'm strongly thinking about picking up a 986 S and keeping it as my fun car for 5-7 years... then hopefully flipping when they come back up. I cannot see them getting much cheaper

Kek

Which have you guessed correctly?
Also, I second the guess of the NA Miata because it will start getting hard to find a non-molested, non-rusted example.
The RX8 may turn around because of the rotary fanbase and the decreasing availabilty of earlier RX7s due to rust and age issues as well. This guess is a bit of a stretch though.
FC RX7

I love my 986, it's just slow because non-S
But that's nothing a 3.4l Carrera engine can't fix

i'd love to buy one but they're a bit much money and scary maintainence costs.

Maintenance is cheap and pretty straight forward if you do it yourself

I'm going to suggest Genuine Scooters USA Stella, any and all current models but especially the 4 stroke automatic version.
LML India the company who make these has just filed for bankruptcy.
Parts at the moment here in the UK , which has a HUGE scooter scene, have all but dried up.
Piaggio wo make the Vespa have just finished selling the final run of the hugely successful P range 2 strokes, these are now selling seondhand at inflated prices and will continue to do so.
The LML copy although cheaper is not as popular worldwide and will remain scarce on the ground and will only continue to be rarer.
OK scooters are a very niche market in the US, but the gys who like them are now paying extortionate prices for Vespas and the far rarer Lambrettas, i even know a few who are importing Vyatka and Elektron copies from Russia to fill the gap.

In this past month i've bought 2 LML's and i'm viewing a third on Saturday afternoon.

>why the 4 stroke auto?
the 2 stroke is a direct copy of the Vespa, parts are far easier to obtain
>the scooter scene here is tiny
yes i know, but the guy in it tend to be very wealthy middle aged and middle class, price is not an issue
>why not the superior Piaggio Vespa?
too common, plenty around and sellers know the value of what they have
>why not lambrettas then?
Same as above but far more expensive, parts are scarce as hell, chances of getting a decent running Lammie for less than 10 is null.
> why an Indian curry burner? there are hundreds of scooter makes and models
The classic lines tied to the Mod scene of the 60's and watch Quadrophenia a movie that is to my generation as Initial D is to weaboo hondafags

E36 M3 (Euro spec)
E39 M5
C6 RS6

I've bought and DDed a 190E 2.3-16, 86 300zx turbo, and VW Corrado vr6. All bought very cheaply with decent mileage and resold for profit within 4 years

Not a bad idea, not at all

Will you be able to enjoy them while you wait for appreciation?

Hold on to it, I'm hoping it shoots up in value over the next 7 years

E24
E31
Audi 4000 cs
190E Cosworth
C4 Vettes
Firebird Formula
Trans Am WS6
Ford Lightning

no, to be honest i don't like them.
build quality is shite
the 4 stroke engine suffers fuel starvation at half a tank
the fuel system is a fuckin nightmare
the electrics are not too bad
the paintwork bubbles as soon as it looks like it might rain
the steering columns are made of steel coloured chocolate

besides i have my own 1984 Vespa P range to buzz about on(pic related)

the LML's are going into my shed for around 4 years till the market dries up and the price will get me a Lambretta GP, Jet or TV175

thing is, all the reasons i don't like them are exactly the reasons why they'll become collectors or novelty items in the forseeable future

I was also thinking about the Ford Lightning! 2nd gen of course

To add, I think an unmolested SC300 with a 5sp for under $7k would be an instant purchase. I've even gotten wife clearance to do so... unfortunately can only find 300s with auto but they're $3-5k

how do you feel about late 70s to late 80s mercedes, and eastern bloc shitboxes like the yugo and trabant?

raise in value:
E36 328i (not much, but still9 / M3
C5 Corvette
Nissan S13 (just wait 10 more years, prizes in europe are already pulling like crazy)
SN95 New Edge Cobra (especially Terminator)
Shelby GT500 (2005 and up) in ~10-15 years
SC3/400
R34 (non GTRs) after the import ban expires
can't think of anything else atm

trabant will rise, the Yugo won't much though, too much of a soviet shitbox

I am not OP btw.

SC400 were only available in auto, I believe manual SC300s are rare. Just get a clean auto one and convert it to manual

Ba da da dum (click click)
Ba da da dum (click click)
Ba da dum, ba da dum, ba da da dum (click click)

Good call on s13 and terminator, I'm amazed at how that gen Cobra hasn't budged even slightly in value. And with every one seemingly bought up and squeezed for power with endless upgrades, an unmolested low mile cobra could fetch big money

Manual 300s are rare. I was combing Craigslist last night in various cities and I'd say 1/20 were stick... found one that needed some tlc, 120k for $4k but all stock. That's what I'm aiming for- unfortunately it was 15 states away

He's creepy and he's kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
He's altogether ooky,
Christian Von Koenigsegg.

His house is a museum
When people come to see him
He really is a scream
Christian Von Koenigsegg.

(Light)
(Fast)
(Expensive)

So get a witch's shawl on