BMW General

E3x Edition

Boy do I want an E34 M5 to throw a garishly large turbo on. Where do I find one of these? And why are E28s and E30s have to be so god damn expensive?

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-bmw-5-series-ac-schnitzer-coupe-2-door/1252636024?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-bmw-m5-6/
bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-m5-2/
sportscardigest.com/more-buyers-than-sellers-ferrari-market/
youtube.com/watch?v=zcL1H8t6qTo&t=1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>And why are E28s and E30s have to be so god damn expensive?

Because when they were cheap fuccbois bought them and ruined them by doing things like
>throw a garishly large turbo on
Leaving almost no clean examples

I remember a few years back, I could easily find an e34 M5 for under 10k. Now most I see are close to 30k.

I was working at a dealership in the early 00s and we took one as a trade in for $4000, leather was worn and it needed brakes. Could of bought it for what the dealership gave, sent it to wholesale instead. They really aren't that great, if anyone is paying $30k for one they are getting robbed.

>implying i want a clean example
i want a blown motor shell to build to the 9s. i was into the old audi ur quattros and the 20v i5 for a while but am really digging these old bmws lately. just cant get over how expensive they are.

I have what the m5 should have been.

1995 540i/6

It's quick and sounds amazing, has been pretty reliable so far, I've had it almost a year.

Nein, no robbery, simple classic car price appreciation. It started in Germany with the krauts coming over and buying up all the air cooled Porsches, and then realizing everything else was on sale. Now that the first generations of M cars are 'oldtimer' status they will simply disappear into Europe unless Americans want to keep them by bidding the price up. And its not just M cars. Anything with an S, all e30's, low mile 8 series go for serious coin. Pretty much the whole Claus Luthe era.

And its not just BMW. I said two years ago that the e36 M3 and the 8 series anything was the most undervalued near classic period anywhere. Prices almost doubled since then in Germany. I'd say the most undervalued german youngtimer moving forward now would be the R129. Especially the sl600. Any german v12 from that era is pure sex and will be huge dough when the market finally figures our they were some of the best cars ever built.

Sweet ride. We got the M sport up in Canada with the V8 and the six speed. I don't own one but I do own a Jap import 107k km 535i with factory m-tech suspension and body kit. Pop that 40+ hp Turner chip in there and I'm just shy of V8 performance.

And its little brother. A factory M-technic 325i e30.

How are the prices of non-M E34s going? I've been seeing some wild Canadian prices ranging for worthless to almost 10k for a 535.

It's obvious whats happening, but it won't last. The same thing came and went with muscle cars. The mega dollar ZL1 Camaros, Hemi Cudas, etc. selling for retarded money created a venturi effect dragging up the prices of the base models. It will drop though. We're just hitting the era where people who dreamed of cars that came out in the 80s and 90s have a large amount of expendable cash. In the end the only cars that stay high in value are the ones that are truly enjoyable to drive and own, which the E34 M5 isn't. Speculators will be left holding the bag. E31s are still dirt cheap in the US since despite their rarity and how cool they are people aren't willing to eat a $10k repair on a car that sells for $7k. I think they will appreciate but not by a ton. E24 seems like a much better bet (part of the reason I bought one). R129s will never be worth anything in the US, might be a different story if there's better parts availability in Germany.

>which the E34 M5 isn't
would be with a garishly large turbo.

e34 prices will do what e28's did. When moron market figures out the 3.5 liter was one of the best turbo engines ever (see 200 mph bi-turbo Alpina) they will become unobtanium.

Nice Schnitzer on kijiji:

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-bmw-5-series-ac-schnitzer-coupe-2-door/1252636024?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Bought ten BMW's last year off hurtin' Albertans. Just about out of money, that one would be on my radar if I was flush..

>In the end the only cars that stay high in value are the ones that are truly enjoyable to drive and own, which the E34 M5 isn't.

I've reads a lot of dumb things on this board, this one is up there.

Last hand built M car.

I don't even need to say anything else.

>I've reads a lot of dumb things on this board, this one is up there.
just nestle it in there with all the other things that moron types up

Yet I've driven one and you haven't. But of course, it must be good, because it's handbuilt, that means it's better, cheap labor just gives it that special flavor that robots can't.

it makes it more valuable, mr 'f40s are shit compared to f50s and you should listen to me because ive sat in one before'. lol youre probably the worst poster on this board. every single post you make on here is 'i this and i that me me me'. get bent, your opinions are bad and you should feel bad.

You can drive whatever the fuck makes your vagina wet and slippery, the market is speaking. It wants e34 m5's and it doesn't matter if there is an ocean in the way.

Here's a low k mile M5 at auction last week:

bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-bmw-m5-6/

Here's another:

bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-bmw-m5-2/

People don't drop 70 g on a crap car. Period.

Now fuck off troll.

>ones that are truly enjoyable to drive and own, which the E34 M5 isn't
Speak for yourself fag, the E34 M5 is the most fun car I've driven.

>it makes it more valuable
No, it doesn't

>rest of the post
>I know more about you about cars you work on and drive because I read about them on wikipedia and they are my favorite cars ever!
Sure man

Did I say people weren't asking a lot of money for them? I said if anyone paid that they are getting robbed.

>People don't drop 70 g on a crap car. Period.
Drop by your local Range Rover/Land Rover, Jaguar, or Maserati dealership any day and you can watch it happen every hour or so. As far as classic cars, we're in a huge bubble, and nobody is denying it. People see that a car has gone up in value, and they will pay more than the cars worth with the false hope it will continue to rise. People are buying 912s for $50k and Dinos for $250k, far more foolish than buying an old M5 for $20k.

Here's an interesting read from someone who actually buys and sells classics and exotics
sportscardigest.com/more-buyers-than-sellers-ferrari-market/

>>>People don't drop 70 g on a crap car. Period
>Drop by your local Range Rover/Land Rover, Jaguar, or Maserati dealership any day and you can watch it happen every hour or so

Because it's crazy that a brand new luxury car at a dealership is going for 70k right? Wew those people are getting robbed aren't they.

is this guy for fuckin real

Mexicans buy them all.

I base my opinions on cars I haven't driven by people I talk to at meets who own and build them, people who drive and review cars for a living, and people who generally dont spend every waking hour shitposting on a sumerian cuneiform website. You're an egotistical jackass who doesn't get any attention in the real world because nobody takes you seriously there either. Why should anyone care what you have to say here?

>No, it doesn't
Right, because people always pay more for goods mass produced by robots than they do hand-built ones. Of course something being hand-built makes it more valuable, what planet are you from?

Anyone know how easy it would be to mate a S50/S52 with an E30's Getrag 260? am I better off just investing in a ZF?
forums say it's all more or less legos but you'd want the S52 clutch parts.

and on that note also; better to find an engine to buy outright or try and find a shitty E36 M3 vert?

7 series are cute. CUTE

Just turbo anything with an M30, the fundamentals are very strong. Even a 2.8 or 3.0 can be a good basis as it has thicker cylinder walls.

If you didn't care what I have to say you wouldn't be so upset by my posts. If you're the kind of person that even bothers having an opinion at all on cars he hasn't driven then by all means keep watching entertainer's reviews, you don't have anything to bring to the conversation in a forum like this anyway.

>Right, because people always pay more for goods mass produced by robots than they do hand-built ones
Do you think resorting to extreme blanket statements is going to support your argument? If we look solely at cars, sometimes people pay more for handbuilt, sometimes less. In the case of 90s M cars they weren't actually handbuilt to any meaningful degree vs. the normal 5 series since not much was automated in that era to begin with, it may have been partially built off the assembly line, but I don't see how that adds anything qualitywise aside from a snippet to put in an ad.

Some M30 were factory turbo, E23 745 comes to min first

>turbocharging a nice naturally aspirated i6
how could you do something so awful

See the M102 and 106

>Oh hey someone made a /bmw/
>Heartbreaker once again spergs out and ruins it for everyone

Very nice photo!

NA i6 and Turbo i6 are just fine.

>If you're the kind of person that even bothers having an opinion at all on cars he hasn't driven then by all means keep watching entertainer's reviews, you don't have anything to bring to the conversation in a forum like this anyway.

I asked for opinions on these cars that I want to look into buying. I have plenty of advice, knowledge, and experience to offer on things I've owned, driven and done. Unlike you I don't pretend my opinion is law and act like an expert on things I have tangential knowledge about.

I wonder why I never see you posting actual helpful advice for people wanting to learn or better themselves. Only your opinions on why everything that isn't you and things you've done are worthless and stupid. You're the definition of a shitposter.

>tfw no fuck off 6.7 litre V16 engine
Why live?

How much trouble are E32s? I want a 7 series but I'm concerned an E38 would be too much maintenance and I don't really like the interior or seats of the very first gen 7 series.

Oh hey guys

What's going on in this thread

i want to do this exact same thing to a porsche 928.

Nice, how much that gets to the rear wheels, 90hp at 3000rpm (redline)?

Nice, how much does it pull?

Honestly, they're miserable.
The 730's and 735's with the M30 are mechanically sound and simple, transmissions are garbage. A clutch pack seals leak and burn clutches in P and N when engine is running.

Wiring harnessing makes NASA shuttles pale in comparison.

Honestly, they do nothing better than the E38 except look classy as fuck.

928 already a v8 tho
e34 got v8 swapped because it was some stancefags 525i that the oil pan got fukt on

o u funny boi

It was pretty slow desu but wasnt too bad
although the stock BMW fuel pump was shitting itself for most of the time I owned it so it probably wasn't getting enough fuel

yeah, it's better to just drive one around with awful faded paint and sagging shocks

Just put a big turbo on a 525i honestly

It'll be a little slower but also infinitely cheaper and more expendable

The V8 in the Porsche is unreliable as shit though, a Chevy 350 would be a better engine for it.

is that what heartbreakers car is like?

>mfw straight piped my M60

M5 faggit here

Whatchu need to know?

Not much. Just like, where you live and work and if your car has any kill switches or alarms or anything.

I need to know how to get your S38 in my E28.

How much do you guys think an E34 525i should go for?

youtube.com/watch?v=zcL1H8t6qTo&t=1s

>tfw you'll never get to bomb your m5 down city streets with your comrades

>this is what americans actually believe

hey bmwg

looking at E53 4.8is X5's as a new, relatively sporty, comfy daily.

anything i should look out on them besides the air suspension? There's a couple local one and i really like the concept of a "M but not M oficially" E53.

I plan on getting one and just retrofitting the coil suspension on it.

i'm pretty sure you get coil suspension with the sport package as standard

Not all of it i think.

4.8is come with atleast only the rear air suspension. otherwise it's on all 4 corners with the height switch by the steering wheel

Regardless, all the 4.8's close to me have the full air suspension anyway so i'll end up getting rid of it.

ayyy

Mine is rusty and it hurts

Kill yourself.

you're getting soft m8

should be slammed 4 inches lower

u first bb

Beware of the V8 models, they have oil leak issues which are a bitch to fix. The sump is almost inaccessible.

Ironically I enjoy driving this one too much to do that lol
This is my happy median

it's slower than the m5 though

If my shocks are sagging it must have had a 6 inch Skyjacker lift in the past, because it's still very high up

>happy median
Was that a freudian slip, because you are going to spin out and crash into the median if you drive it in the rain?

Not sure depending on country but they are the most common E34 and usually go for a low amount.

Still an insufferable little fag eh?
How are ya otherwise bud

Anybody know how well chips can be filled with touch up paint for alpine white? I have a ton on my bumper and don't want to know they were ever there. Also ban trucks from interstates, you get rocks pelted at you for being within 15 car lengths of them

No idea but I've meaning to do it myself. You can get original touch up paint from BMW which does cost a little bit but it's better to have official stuff.

Yeah I do have the original. I've also come to realize AW has a strong yellow tint and it's annoying the fuck out of me

I just bought my second E30 after my first one died. Test drove it, ran great, drove well.
>take it home
>overheats
>radiator cold
>needs thermostat
>open coolant
>full of oil
>needs headgasket
Here I go. I bought it from a guy in my neighborhood and I'm asking for a partial refund because he didn't know there was anything wrong with it.
Other than that it's great though. I'm happy to be back in another E30.

Well that's alpine white I guess. I can't say I really notice the yellow that much though except under really strong light.

At least they're moderately easy to work on and I also assume you'll be doing it all yourself?

I'll do the thermostat myself but I might take it to a shop for the headgasket. I just don't feel like doing it. I know a guy who owns a euro shop

Hopefully he doesn't screw you too much, all the cost for a head is always the labor.

Yeah I'm just praying there's nothing wrong with the engine itself. The car sat for 2 years because the owner had brain cancer.

Well for a start you'll probably need to replace all the rubber hoses and such in the engine bay. A car sitting for that long is a risky buy, how much was it?

$1300
He took care of it when he could and I trust him. The rubber hoses all seem fine but I'm going to replace the main three coolant hoses when I do the thermostat.
I'm hoping it's not the water pump.

It's possible it's just a jammed thermostat from not being used in so long but it could also be the water pump, it's really all guess work for now.

$1300 isn't too bad I guess. What model is it?

1989 325i manual, coupe
Has an LSD from a 325is swapped in

Damn that's pretty good for $1300 then. It's going to be well worth the fix up price then, a nice condition 325 can go for a fair bit.

Yeah. I haven't really gotten to drive it yet but I'm just hoping it'll be able to replace my 325is.

Dude that's like some going to hell shit. Dude's a car guy, gets brain cancer, makes an honest mistake selling the car with issues but still gives you a good deal on it, and now you're trying to fleece him for a partial refund. The guy who is probably going to die a slow, painful death due to brain cancer within the next couple years. You're jacking him for a couple hundred bucks. Your neighbor. Who has brain cancer. Damn.

He's better and he actually offered.
Sorry for hurting your feelings.

Any z3 bros? Tell me about dailying, problems, whatever.

I never have a chance to scoop a cheap Miata near me because wageslave so I figured I'd spend a little more and possibly get a z3 on the weekend.

just use a 535 you cuck, the engines are bulletproof and cheap

>not knowing about porsche god tier engineering and reliablity

Hey bro I'm not the one going to hell.

You know what dude? You convinced me. Idc about hell but I felt bad so I texted him to not bother.

Good man. You'll feel better about it in the long run. A couple hundred bucks won't mean anything but knowing you did a good thing will always stay with you.

>trying to shoehorn an E34 B35 drivetrain in your E28

Hello friends,

Thoughts on the E82 125i?

Just lost my MK6 GTI due to flooding and thinking of it as a replacement.

That's the detuned 3.0 six right? I'd rock one if it's a manual.

Yeah, 160kw (down from 190kw I think).

Looking at both autos and manuals, the ZF6 auto-box is actually really good.

It's good for a slushbox, but it's still a slushbox. IMO BMWs aren't worth the time without a mechanical drive link. If you're fine with that, by all means go for it.

Going to check one out next weekend. MY11, haven't heard of any glaring issues with models after 2010

Yay or nay for the wheels. How you reckonBorbet Type A's would look? Too old styled?