Miata General - /miata/ - /mg/

Lonely Edition

Old Thread:
Ask all your Miata-related questions here.
>miata pics and vids
>miata feels
>miata questions and answers
>miata hair styling tips and tricks

FAQ:
Can I fit?
>If you're under 6'2" and aren't obese you can fit without modification. If bigger you can do a foamectomy, modify pedals and replace door pulls.

Can I daily drive one?
>Yes most people can daily drive a Miata no problem.

Even in the snow?
>Yes Miatas can drive well in the snow (with snow tires).

How much should I expect to spend?
>Depends on the area, but for a clean title low mileage car:
3k for an NA6
4.5k for an NA8
5.5-6.5k for an NB1
6-8k for an NB2
9-25k for an NC

I'm going to look at a used Miata, wat do?
wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking Out a Used Miata

(__)__)::::::::::::::D

Other urls found in this thread:

constant-collection.com/collections/steering-wheels
youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM
youtube.com/watch?v=wkCSodsDh58
lmgtfy.com/?q=nb seats in na
scdareg.com/events/scda-palmer-motorsports-park-10-bmw-discount-sports-car-driving-association-648459
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bar of soap: The car.

What would you think about a NB vs a NC as a DD for a first car? I like the fact that the NC has more security features by default (rollbar, side airbags, stronger windshield or so they said in some forums), its bigger and has more hp, but it costs 7-10k eurobucks, while the NB is just 4-5K and is commented as being "a better driver's car than a NC". Also will an aftermarket rollbar make an NB more dangerous? Pic related: NC chasis with a factory rollbar

The NC is the better car, the NB is the better Miata.

Also, as for the rollbar thing, yes.

What does better miata mean? And is that an NB?

A distinction between style bar and rollbar is necessary, here.

>a better driver's car than a NC
imo they don't actually drive that differently

that's not a rollbar

Pic hits close to home, now that I got my miat I'm the kid with the cool car but can't ever take it when going out with friends because no seats.

Use this if anybody ever disses the Miata

Anyone have any experience with professional rust repair?

My 90 has developed a rust spot (about 3 inches) on the driver's floorboard right underneath the clutch pedal

Its not that hard to deal with. Get a grinder with wire wheel to see how bad it is. Chances are its not deep. If it is just cut it out with zip wheels on grinder, fluxcore tack in a new piece of 14 g sheetmetal, finish w bondo and rubberized undercoat. All supplies ~ $250ish plus youll be able to take carw of any more rust u come across

Have any of you ever done autocross and/or a track day? I have seen Autocross videos on YouTube and I don't know if it's just me but it honestly looks kinda gay. I don't want to putz around in a parking lot all day swerving through some meme cones like a couple of children playing hop scotch. I want to go to the track. The issue is that the track itself seems kinda lame too since novices have to sit with instructors for the first 5 or so track days before you get approved for solo riding.

On a side note, I also just confirmed with the SCDA that for whatever reason they do not require a roll bar in Miatas. You just need to have an OEM hardtop. So I am kinda hyped on that. Do you guys think it's better to drive my car to the event or trailer it?

Car in the post is an NA.
Also, the NC weighs a lot more, is slightly bigger and taller, and more powerful, so purists don't generally regard it as a "true" Miata. I've driven one and they're a blast, I can't think of anything about it that ruins the Miata feel for me, personally.

thanks, it seems like i 'll get the NC for a test drive then.

6'5'' here, my local craigslist is mostly NA and a few NBs. Anyone have success with the 'foamectomy' around my height? Will I even need to do it if I get an NB?

you'll be fine with a foamectomy + hardtop or no top at all

My mx-5 (1.6, '00, NB) starts bad with a cold engine. Cranks fine, but doesn't start at the first try. Turn the key back and try again. It cranks, a loud pop from the exhaust can be heard and then a few seconds later it starts. Then the rest of the ride it does just fine. Replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires already to no avail. Now the guys at a miata forum are saying that it could be the fuel injectors. Does anybody recognize the problem?

I'm still not fully grown yet since i'm still young. My #1 fear is growing too tall for a miata. If I do, i'll probably either get a mazdaspeed3 or kill myself.

MOMS GONNA FREAK

All ICE have common symptoms.
If your started and wires are fine, it's fuel delivery.
It could be a pump or the injectors. The injectors are a lot easier to confirm than dropping the gas tank.

Are you the same underage faggot that posted this on the Miata Amino app?

anyways don't get a mazdaspeed3 those cars are extremely wack.

6'5 is probably the cut off and you are probably nowhere near that.

To the guy in the last thread who asked me if I had a Fiat Uno, because I'm brazilian.

A-at least it has good mileage, r-right?

Did any of you install central locking on an NA?
Thinking about getting one but scared of fucking up with wiring since i have no tools for that at home

What's ICE?
How do I confirm that the fuel injectors are indeed faulty?

Immigration and Customs Enforcement

How does that relate to my car

>ICE - Internal Combustion Engine
Faulty injectors - take them out. Are they clogged? If yes, clean them, if no, move to step b.
Turn engine on. Are they clicking? if yes, they're fine, if no, check for power.

that's the gaybar not rollbar

because you are retarded

1/10
very low quality b8

you will have a harder time fitting in an NB, the seats and doors are thicker. I'm 6'2" and I just barely fit in mine. You can remove a shit-ton of foam though and I've not gotten farther than hacking the big lump off the seat bottom.

Wow, you really got me there, with me as a non-native English speaker who doesn't know all of your abbreviations

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by clicking? What kind of noise am I looking for?

See? Immigration and customs enforcement does apply.

literally it will click. It's a pump.
I'd advise you to just let the mechanic handle it if it's your DD.

you have to go back

Is Miatapalooza worth going to? I don't really want to drive two hours to stand in a parking lot.

... HLA tick is my nemesis.

>Note: pic is from 2010 and is not representative of how my bay looks now.

It's not my DD. It's a 'project', I use it occasionally. I mainly bought it to learn how to work on cars.

Go back to where? I reside in the country I was born in.

does it even do anything? it's like every second miata has this problem

No, you better stay home and shitpost instead of going out and experiencing something new.

hey do you guys have any steering wheel recommendations

I don't know man. I really really really want to track mine but it's fucking pristine and I don't want to "ruin" it with a roll bar. Also not sure if a roll bar would be tall enough to protect me.
My closest track requires a roll bar for miatas.

If it has always been that way I would check to see if it's at factory timing.

yea im in the same boat, i want to get a roll bar bc safety but i need the space

Nardi or nothing

Nice digits mang.
Also, weighs like 60lbs and costs $500 and takes several hours to install

nardi or momo. DO NOT buy griproyals

youre "that guy" that no one wants at the autocross events
if you get a bolt in one you can always remove it later

Just sold my miata and forgot to take the plates KMS. oh well. Guys I sold it to told me to report the sale in two weeks so I assume they're gonna flip it after they clean it up or whatnot. Lets hope they don't rob a bank or go full supreme gentleman.

Can I drop NB seats into an NA? Do the bolts all line up?

google is your friend

Why take time out of your day to be a faggot? Like you had to put forth effort to be annoying.
And at any rate I remembered you can because that guy said he did in that review video.
But in the future, maybe ignoring stupid questions will turn out better for you than being a nigger about it

Reminds me of when I ask a question on a forum and they very well know the answer but get some kind of kick out of telling me to go search older threads. These people are absolute cancer

Super or turbo for an NA6?

>fuel gauge wont move off empty
>having to replace head gasket tomorrow
>going to flush coolant and oil as a result
>first time doing any of that
>black current draining the battery overnight
this car sometimes i s2g why do i love it so much
also when i replace the head gasket should i just reuse the bolts? friend told me its not recommended so idk

google is your friend

Any Seattle Miat bros? Why do the prices seem so inflated here? This is supposed to be the cheap fun roadster but I can't get a facelifted NB for less than $6k. What the fuck?

momos are good too you clown

Momo, Personal, Nardi, Renown, Keys!

steering wheels to stay away from: NRG, Grip Royal, DND, any other cheap chinese garbage. Sure they are cheap, but are you cool with your steering wheel breaking while you are driving?

Anyway here's a good site for used steering wheels

constant-collection.com/collections/steering-wheels

>does [HLA Tick] even do anything?

No, it just makes a really annoying tick that makes other drivers and non-miata owners assume that your engine is on its way out when it is just fine.

It also makes fast-food drivethrus loud as fuck. I just want my mcnuggets and Szechuan sauce in peace.

youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM

yeah looks like fun lol. sorry, it looks retarded to me. i'd rather do this

youtube.com/watch?v=wkCSodsDh58

Ive taken my miata to an auto cross. Going to another tomorrow. They are a blast, parking lot or not. Its more the idea that you can go harder than normal with no fear of hitting other people or breaking rules.

While I wont deny a track is more enjoyable, Most places vary on what is available to use. Around me parking lots are the only events you see. We just dont have many track courses locally, maybe a few drag strips that are considering branching out. The closest track course lost its contract and is renegotiating. So for now its parking lots.

But you sound kind of like a douche anyways. You want to race at tracks only? Look up events that only happen at tracks. It might be a stupid long distance or drive for you, but hey, its a track.

Seafoam followed by Rotella T6 5w-40 should do wonders. When I fired up my JDM warehouse motor first the first time, it sounded like a team of roofers. Now it has literally no tick at all.

gotta get the teardrop senpai

I've tried it, including feeding seafoam through the vacuum and shutting the car off for 20 minutes then using lighter or heavier oils. Never helps. I also don't feel like taking the cams out and actually fixing the HLAs b/c my miata is my only car right now.

>a lot more
>80lbs more than a nb

Lads

I'm tempted to part ex my '15 Fiesta ST for an RF once it's released. Is this a good/bad idea?

lmgtfy.com/?q=nb seats in na

>tfw no meme

It's all good. I found one an hour away on the 10th. If I get the striker plates in the mail today for my hardtop, then I'll be going

scdareg.com/events/scda-palmer-motorsports-park-10-bmw-discount-sports-car-driving-association-648459

its beautiful out today lads

Get a hard top already

The fuck

yeah yeah I know.

Do you have any pics from rear? I'm thinking about removing mud guards but not sure if it looks better

what kind of rims and tires?

Not him but they appear to be Kosei K1s.

...with some kind of weird Dunlop Direzzas.

Prospective miata buyer here -- part of me thinks than an NB is superior in every way to an NA but nobody wants them because no pop up headlights. Am I wrong about this?

a clean NB is cheaper than a clean NA in most places

if you're taller and or fat, you're going to fit better in the NA as well

They're almost (almost) identical cars.

The chassis is a little tighter on the NB and some have variable valve timing. The NB is heavier though, and the whole point of a miata is being lightweight. I also think that the NB looks awful in comparison but I certainly am not going to hate on NB owners.

technically nb is improved in some places but it's so negligible it's down to preference so pick your poison

why was the 97 heavier than the 96 when they're mostly identical?

well clean car to clean car. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs so I should fit either just fine. Perusing craigslist for a few months now it's hard to find a clean NA for sale in my area, they all seem to be high miles with rust or clear coat being eaten away

yes I understand NB is heavier but as your pic shows the power:weight is better, though the lighter car should have slightly improved handling. I agree I like the NA aesthetics much more though.

>as your pic shows the [NB's] power:weight is better

Right you are, Ken. But again, power was never the point of Miatas.

>sat in this beauty this morning
Rear visibility isn't as bad as everyone says.

Still haven't seen one out in the wild yet though.

ok then by that logic I should just import a cappuccino

Any of you guys have any idea what I'm doing wrong? My side striker plates have no tension on them. It feels like the hook is too high up or something

It just clips into the groove. Absolutely zero tension

YOU FUKKIN' SHOULD.

Fuck that's nice. Are they now on sale in the UK? Or was it just for display

OK FINE

GOOD. I HOPE IT MAKES YOU HAPPY.

I'M SURE IT WILL AND ITS CUTER THAN YOUR MIATA

... you're right. It is.

I would spill jelly from my orifices upon seeing it.