IS 250

I'm looking at buying a used 05-08 Lexus IS250 and want some tips/info on what to look for when I inspect/drive one.

From what i know there are several issues which have either resulted in a recall or a trip back to the dealer at the owners expense. Here is my list thus far:

>Interior dash cracking near the windshield
>Carbon build up around valves
>Fuel system
>Touch screen failing

Are there any other issues which I should look for when buying a used one? From what i've read they seem to be fairly reliable cars.

Is it worth looking for a sports luxury spec model instead of settling for the prestige spec (base)?

I live in Australia, so the used price is around 13-15K AUD I believe.

You should inspect how it's slower than a Civic

Not really bothered about speed/acceleration. I'm fine with the power/weight ratio of 100w/kg.

No worries

Buy a clean one with a good service history and low owners. Don't worry about miles. Solid cars. Slow as fuck tho. 350 is a beast. Weird how there was no middle ground. With lexus it's all about how it was owned. The 250 was the lease special for single people. So most cars did a three year lease, the went cpo. You want the two owner cars that were taken care of by second owner for a long time. Not a car that was sold on some nigger bait lot along with 8 year old bmw 7 series on giant rims.

Also, don't forget the Acura TSX.

Makes sense, thank you sir.

We call those Honda Accord Euros here.
This was literally the other car I was going to look at, preferably in a 6 speed manual. Are the automatics any good?

get the 350. don't let your goverment cuck you into the small engine.

Not OP, I've been interested in the is250 09 and I've found a few in manual. But the 350s are all auto. Now in that case what's the better choice. Take the power loss but have the manual, or lose the manual and gain the power.

>FWD

>I'm looking at buying a used 05-08 Lexus IS250
There is no 2005. Minor detail though :-P

Features introduced for each year which might be of interest to you...
>2007
Optional sport-tuned suspension, cutoff switch for stability and traction control
>2008
Revised front seatbacks to provide more rear legroom, recalibrated steering for better feel
----------------------------------------------------------

>Interior dash cracking near the windshield
I'm currently dealing with this on my IS 350. New dash was ordered, but who the fuck knows when that'll arrive. Supposed to be a long waiting list.

>Carbon build up around valves
I've heard this is only a 250 thing.

>Touch screen failing
Mine's been good. I hear they're like $1k to replace though.
-----------------------------------------------------------

>From what i've read they seem to be fairly reliable cars.
I bought my 350 from one of those "nigger bait lots" last April and have had very few problems. Nothing that affects the drivability at least. For the most part, Lexus' just plain work. No BS.

>I live in Australia
Ayy there m8.

>13-15K AUD
I bought my 350 for $16k US. Not sure what that converts to in Aussie money.

>350 is a beast
Can confirm. Just installed F-Sport sways and intake on mine. Exhaust next :-)

The manual on those 250's is a shit. Nowhere near Honda-level refinement for example. wouldn't let that affect your decision too much. I love the power on my 350.

Literally no IS ever made was front-wheel-drive.

If you buy a 250 you're a massive cuck. It has the same crappy fuel economy as the 350 except it's gutless instead of quick. Only women have the 250

T.06 is350 owner

exhaust y pipe will rust like a mf due to the heatshield, but i live in north east state so we get snow and salt.

the coolant pump is a bitch to get out, all shops quoted me 1k+ for replacement.

It really is slow as fuck.

Overall i love the car, but would not buy the 250 again. too slow. Makes me just want a 350.

As far as problems check for:

Engine slight oil leak issues (common), underside rust (these cars have a tendency to have exhaust bits and other stuff easily destroyed by salt and everything cat and up is one piece $$$$)

I don't remember which packages give you the premium audio and backup camera/satnav but you should spring for that

>06 is350 owner
tfw I specifically bought a 2007 for the cutoff switch but never even bother to press it...

>I don't remember which packages give you the premium audio and backup camera/satnav but you should spring for that
I've always been curious how their packages were set up. Mine came with pretty much everything except the upgraded Mark Levinson audio. That must be a stand-alone option.

I should add that the base sound system is still very good. I wouldn't classify the Mark Levinson as crucial.

I've never heard the stock system but I can honestly say listening to retrowave with the mark levinson audio while ripping on the throttle with the f sport exhaust is one of the finer pleasures in life

I just had the sways and intake installed two days ago. Exhaust is next once I save some more. How loud is it?

Bump

Should I get a GS 300 as a family sedan? Is it more roomy than a XE20 250?

look how ugly that thing is

>XE20 250
dafuq is that?

Cheers dude, wasn't too sure if the ML was a must have.

OP here. The problem is here in Australia there arn't a lot of 350's so the used price is still very high. High enough to go over my budget unfortunately.

I couldn't deal with those looks.

>here in Australia there aren't a lot of 350's
Weird, I wonder why. Maybe they just don't sell?

It could look nice if it wasn't all done up for Basketball-Americans.

The earlist models I can see for sale are 2010+ which explains the price as there are no 06-09 models. No idea why we didn't get these, but its sad nonetheless.

Then save your money or buy a v6 Accord.

>v6 Accord
son i am disappoint