Drifting

I want to start learning to drift. I have a 2013 Genesis coupe, but it's a open diff. I have about 3k saved, and can't decide if I should put a lsd in my car and start with it, or buy another and use it as drift only. Suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7wZOL4l9Ffc
youtube.com/watch?v=RM2R7dJPlyg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If you're serious, you're going to crash at some point. Better off buying something you can abuse.

Sorry bad pic

this

What would be a good starter car?

Anything RWD with a manual and a bit of power, that you can easily (and cheaply) find parts for. Not just performance parts, you'll most likely have to replace bodywork and suspension components when you inevitably hit a wall.

240sx.

Im assuming you watch haggard garage which is where you got the idea of drifting your genesis.

youtube.com/watch?v=7wZOL4l9Ffc

youtube.com/watch?v=RM2R7dJPlyg

Buy good coilovers, weld if you wanna pay $100 or get a 1.5way or 2 way if you're a baller and are okay with

A longer wheelbase and a front-heavy nose are generally considered to be desirable traits in a beginner drift car. Snappy, quick-handling cars like miatas or MR2s will be quick to spin out on you. This is why the 240 and derivatives were favored in the original scene (the source of their popularity now).

I mean, it doesn't have to be, but it will give you an easier time.

IS300 is also a great car. if you have the cash.

Gotta cut the pigfat off of it tho

No idea who they are.

Is your genesis a 2.0?

well now you do.

don't use your genesis as a drift car unless you have unlimited funds.

buy a cheap rwd shitbox and hoon the fuck out of it.

For the money you're talking about get a 5.0 foxbody that you won't care if you (when you) ding up

You could try to find an SR5 Corolla with a 4AC. Don't get an actual GTS. Or a TE72. Can do most AE86 mods to them.

Foxbody or SN95 Mustang

240's are overpriced to fuck or complete trash and even if you find a decent one you have to deal with a KA which means no power.

>mustang is heavy, pigfat, blah blah etc.
Suspension upgrades and gutting the car fixes your issues. They have V8s, are RWD, are Manual, and are cheap to pick up. Parts are more than plentiful (and cheap) and working on them is fucking piss easy.

Easy to get the rear end out as well. Just ask those guys at Cars and Coffee.

Yes

Btr tune, pushing about 22 lbs of boost about 282 whp and 322 torque

I'm in the market for any Z car for this reason. I'm trying to find either a Z that has been half way built or a Z that has a blown motor but a good shaped frame.

or if you're a ukfag/europoor where mustangs are way too expensive get a BMW E36 (or even an e30 if you're that cheap) or a subraru wrx sti as they're everywhere and cheap

>subraru wrx sti
>drift car

In the us, you're looking for a foxbody, 240sx, or a miata with an LSD. You could just get an LSD for your genesis and start slow. I started by doing donuts on a spot, then by doing wider and wider circles, then by trying power-over slides and Norwegian flicks in an empty lot.

I learned to powerslide and do donuts in an STi (pic from 2007 related, that car, in that vary parking lot), those two skills were essential in learning to drift when I got my miata.

rwd conversions are also pretty easy on those

powersliding and donuts are completely different in an AWD car vs a RWD..

This is op

I have a 2002 ws6 trans am, which if I bought a 240, would probably do a engine swap and put it in.

I refuse to do a foxbody considering I live in North Carolina and where you seem most of the cars and coffee or mustang week crashes

>powersliding and donuts are completely different in an AWD car vs a RWD..

1. Not really, it's all about weight transfer and learning how to lose and gain traction only on certain wheels.
2. The '06 STi has a 41F / 59R torque split at the center diff and acts more RWD than most other AWD cars.

can't argue with those trips

I thought subaru was symmetrical AWD so how can it be rear bias? unless your talking about messing with that little gimmick that it has

You actually can properly drift Subarus if you weld the center diff , makes them RWD.
I hear it creates a few chassis and drivetrain problems though. You can probably fix that with a stronger rear diff and some bracing though.

Symmetrical only means that all the driveshafts are the same length, so there's no torque-steer or uneven power distribution between wheels on a drive axle due to one being longer than the other.

Subarus have different natural Front-Rear torque bias depending on the car. STi has a stronger rear bias than the WRX or a standard Impreza because it helps fight understeer.

Just weld the diff and go from there

>coilover maymay

Dude bro he's building for Formula Drift better get the 8way adjustable 64-step $10k coilover kit and crash into a fucking tree.

no one said anything about expensive coilovers
whats wrong with cheap upgrades?

some people cant even fathom why someone would spend money on their cars after buying it.