Worst car advice you've ever heard

Worst car advice you've ever heard

I'll start
>warm up the car for 10 mins

But user, my car runs like shit if I start it and take off. I let it run for about 1-2 minutes then drive off.

But to go along with your thread:
>a donut is fine, no need for a full sized spare

Prius isnt environment friendly because production of batteries emits CO2.

Your car will run better if you mix some energy drink into your engine oil.

putting rape seed oil in your diesel tank because it's cheaper than diesel.

first of all it's illigal and secondly you are not a europatriot if you so not support the oil companies

One minute is fine, if it's an SUV/truck 2-3 mins is good, anything longer than that is unnecessary. And if you're warming it up when it's above freezing then you're an idiot

what about letting my car idle for ~5 mins before I shut it off?
usually if I drive my car hard or Hoon it at all, when I'm done I'll put it's parking brake on and let it sit idling for five or so minutes before turning it off, is that a stupid idea?

don't buy a vw ecobox
don't buy an oldish bmw

>Put the better tires in the rear....On a FWD

Oh noes scary oversteer! Understeering into a semi truck is so much better.

>Being too pussy to burn off highway diesel or jet fuel you got for free

>frost on the windshield
>decide to not warm it up
>scrape off frost
>somehow i scratched the fugg otu of the glass with a plastic scraper

how in thefuck

That would only make sense if you have a high idle setting or a cyclic idle setting. The water pump isn't moving that much fluid at idle and rad fans are usually pretty weak. You shouldn't shut it off right away but 5 minutes is way too long and achieving nothing.

That only matters if you have a turbo. My manual recommends idling before shutting down. It doesn't say how long, so I usually wait 1 or 2 min.

My cousin says I drive manual like a bitch because I don't "powershift" basically shifting with no clutch right? Is there any harm or extra stress even if done right?

Wat

stupid shit I've heard
>you have to get a VW. they're indestructible
>(my ex gf's dad said this) don't get a jap car. those fuckers are murderers, they killed my father in WWII

Those are the best two that I have heard.

>ice on windshield
>no scraper
>it's frigid cold so warming the car up to melt ice will take ages
>mom says to use a spatula to scrape the ice off
>why_the_fuck_not.mp3
>see scratches and nicks in my windshield the next day

Fug :DD

>anything with a ride height lower than a crossover's is inherently dangerous and you will ide in an accident

What the fuck are you driving and why the fuck does it have a plastic windshield? If fucking rubber is scratching your windshield you have issues...

>turn on your wipers everyday or they will lock up and get stuck

a plastic spatula you mong not a metal one.

What the hell is a powershift? Is that a bro term for forcing your car into gear?

Powershifting means driving like you own a honda civic. Run every gear to redline and slam it into the next gear.

On a motorcycle, it's when you accelerate quickly, let off throttle, and shift without disengaging clutch. This can be done on motorcycles because the gears will mesh smoothly when you let off the throttle. Idk if this is safe to do in cars though, I think it's better not to so you don't fuck up the gearbox

higher centre of gravity means you're higher than the crash and won't be hurt

>2017

>Gears will "mesh"

>2017...

>not understanding how a FUCKING TRANSMISSION WORKS

>All the gears are always in mesh with each other.

You're only moving engagement sleeves in a trans-FUCKING-mission

I can top OP

>warming your car up is actually bad for it

So you telling me I shouldn't even drive it then?

The engagement sleeves will engage smoothly. And if you don't do it properly, the shift forks will get bent. Right?

In a motorcycle transmission, they're practically un-bendable. You'll ruin the dog teeth first.

Depending on the car, you'll either bend a fork, break a fork pad, chip the engagement teeth, break the baulk ring mechanism if it has one, or burn up the synchro.

There isn't enough lash in the engagement teeth of a modern synchromesh car transmision to powershift it. Depending on the design, you;ll get a grind, a pop, or a crunch, and you will break it.

But yes, if done right, on a bike, it will shift smoothly.

Power shifting is when you up shift while on throttle and not using the clutch.

>If someone in the car doesn't have their seat belt on, the car will turn off in the middle of traffic and will we'll crash!

This person was 24......

Rev the car all the way to 4K and then turn if off!!! So is more easy to turn on...

>It's perfectly safe to drive with an exhaust leak user
>test drive car anyway despite instinctively feeling this is retarded
>feel dizzy and numb 10 minutes in
>get out of car and collapse onto the ground vomiting

I literally am so autistic about this now that I have a CO detector that shows how much CO is in the air. I never drive without it.

but transmission will make those horrible sounds

fag

got to get oil heated up tho
and for some cars gearbox fluid

well it would minimise wear

This is a legitimate way to stop a cold car flooding

t. Rotary Owner

But why do race cars do that? Wouldn't it theoretically supply a bit more oil pressure the next time you start it up? I know that wouldn't be smart on a normal engine.

>the oil system holds pressure

no

>put hottest possible water from the tap into a jug
>go outside with jug
>pour on windshield/rear window
>ice melts off instantly

I don't know what normal people do to resolve this issue, but this is what I do.

their mum got them good m8

I got ur mum good last night m8

u got me lad

Sounds like if they're stupid enough to believe this, having a belt on sounds pretty important.

I've always heard powershifting is when you hold the accelerator to near redline while shifting gears to throw as much power and wear as possible into the drivetrain.

what the fuck kind of autistic people do you know that gave you shitty advice like this

>how to shatter your windows, by user
If you're going to do that use cold water.

they're right desu priuses are nasty as fuck for the environment and if you actually wanted to save the earth you'd want to reduce the production of cars by making them longer lasting and more modular not by memeing about emissions like some sort of faggot

>If you're going to do that

What do you do? I'd prefer something easier but don't know what everyone else does.

It bugs me that this is sort of true but only because there are so many fucking crossovers and bro trucks.

>(my ex gf's dad said this) don't get a jap car. those fuckers are murderers, they killed my father in WWII

I remember seeing a story about a WWII veteran who died because he refused to be taken to the hospital just because the ambulance was made by a japanese brand.

But muh wankel

Underrated post

deicer and a large ice scrapar works purty gud

>you need to buy a manual
>they are much more reliable than an automatic
And then four months later the clutch blew. Fuck you Veeky Forums. manual ass butt fucking faggots.

a clutch job is easy just replace it

i was a mechanic for years and when i graduated college i was in the last year before the government switched to a new curriculum. even the one i took had some retarded ass stuff. best 2 i remember

-if you dont open the bleeder on calipers when you press in the piston the ABS system will get ruined. i did probably 300-400 brake jobs not cracking the bleeder and not once had ABS issues never. being in Canada the bleeders would all just snap off from rust anyways

-you dont need to idle more than 2 minutes in winter no matter how cold it is because OBDII vehicles are mandated to warm up within 2 minutes to be legal

yeah...right. coming from someone thats driven in -50c in the mid of January, no

the worst part is most of the instructors knew most of the curriculum is bullshit but had to teach it anyways, i cant imagine what theyre teaching in the course now with newer vehicle electronics added in. half the reason i quit the trade after years was all this electronic bullshit makes repairs miserable

is it really that hard just to put de icer in the reservoir and wait for the defrosters to get the rest?

There's racist, and then there's autistic.

No m8, your mother

>they're murderers
>for killing enemy combatants in a war

OP doesn't know that different metals / compounds expand at different rates when heated!

You can turn a rotary engine on and off just like a piston engine

> thinking a lubricant needs to be heated

Do you also warm up the lube before you put your dick in your boyfriends ass, you flamming faggot?

How do you think the engine starts if it needs to "warm up"? Pro tip, it works regardless of whether you sit in your car like a moron.

see
Enjoy your early engine wear! I worked for a certain american auto company at a test site and we would not run a duty cycle or record test data until the engine temp had flatlined for at least 2 minutes.

When stopping at a red light on a hill, dont brake to prevent rolling backwards just ride the clutch the entire time.

Eh, I drive an old carbureted car and the automatic choke needs the water to be warmed up. I can't see why it would matter on a new car.

is true that leaving your car on idle uses gas more than when driving it?

people keep on telling me this shit. and scolingd me for "wasting money" when i chill for a minutes with the engine still running.

you should purchase a [insert any german car out of warranty]

>Never buy used, it'll always be broken and bad
>Always buy new
>Never EVER buy private

>you need to double-clutch

Not at all. That's the opposite of how engines work.

well, they did kill non combatants as well... they were known for being rather barbaric and cruel. They viewed all people not japanese as subhuman. They didn't fight in a civilized manner, and by civilized manner i mean dropping millions of tons of napalm on cities..and then going ahead and dropping two atomic bombs as well.

>Plasti dip your wheels black

I am so glad I didn't listen to that loser, plasti dip wheels look terrible.

True, weirdly enough all the shit like Nanking, Unit 731 and Bataan they did I completely forgot about while I was writing my post.

Stupid advice. When someone tells me they want to dip their wheels black i just tell them "you mean you want to paint them matte black, because plastidip looks like shit"

and since wheels heat up plastidip bonds full retard to wheels and its a bitch to get it off

It's stupid anyways, I know people that spend extra to get the bigger wheels on their new car and then plasti dip them black, whats the fucking point.

Also those people who have chrome rims and then paint them flat black.

I would rather save up and get them painted properly instead of having some mongaloid "car enthusiast" do them.

>make sure when reversing to hold your hand firmly on the horn, you never know who might be coming!

t. someone with no mirrors or neck.