How important is a knock sensor? Basically just got my car and check engine light was on...

How important is a knock sensor? Basically just got my car and check engine light was on, code showed a bad knock sensor. Just took out the old knock sensor and there was nothing connected to it. The only thing that could seemingly be connected to it are cut wires in a tube. So replacing the knock sensor won't do anything if there's nothing to read it. My brother says the car shouldn't be daily drive without the knock sensor. So now I have to order the wire harness. Is it okay to drive without the knock sensor connected to anything?

Pic related: looks like tube without connector at the end.

That sounds like a bad idea to me boss.

If you have to, use 91 or 93

The car takes 91 normally.

Wait the knock sensor wasn't connected to the harness because the wires were broken? That's probably why it was showing a bad knock sensor chief. Just solder it back together and see if it works.

The knock sensor was broken. No connector on the knock sensor itself, no connector on the wire harness either.

>how important is the knock sensor
>can i drive without it
this sounds like a good fucking way to throw a rod

doesn't even matter if you're running 91 or 93, the knock sensor still PREVENTS KNOCK which can happen either way

just fix it before you throw a rod bro.

i should clarify by "either way" i mean it's there to prevent knock whether your running shit gas or not.

Get it fixed asap and drive as little as possible. Of course no telling how long it's been disconnected.....

So you have a knock sensor with no plug and some wires on the harness that have no plug? Is there a place where it looks like the connector broke off of the knock sensor or where they were wires originally going to a connector?

Old knock sensor is broken. I bought a brand new knock sensor which has the connector. The only wires that can reach the knock sensor don't have a connector connected to it.

Look up a wiring guide for your car, buy a soldering gun if you don't already have one, and look up a bunch of guides on soldering. then solder it back together.

Alternatively, have your car towed to a mechanic and let them do it

You'll have to figure out the wiring bud, but no, you need the knock sensor. It detects engine ping, typically caused by low quality or octane fuel, and will retard ignition timing (and valve timing, if your engine has variable valve timing) to prevent internal damage.

So go get a connector and put it on the ends of the wires you think go to the sensor. I'd confirm they actually do go to the sensor before hooking it up though.

I'm fairly certain I saw the plastic part of the knock sensor connected to the connector on the wiring harness on the ground and didn't think anything of it. I'll look around for it tomorrow, if I can't find it, I'll call honda and see if they have the wiring and connector piece.

You might be able to find the connector at your preferred auto parts store for considerably less than what the dealership will charge.

I'll ask around. Thanks, buddy.

No problemo.

Okay, did a little more research. Here is the wiring for the starter/knock sensor. It says the knock sensor is connected to the starter solenoid if I'm reading it correctly.

Here's a closeup of the wiring.

And here's where the knock sensor goes. The black wire next to it is cut.

if you want to drive it hard or go as fast as a honda will let you its pretty important
with out the sensor the computer will likely retard the timing like hell to keep it safe

Here's the wires. So do I just need a sensor connector and solder it into the wires, then connect it to the sensor?

Assuming those are the correct wires then yes you should be able to solder on a new connector and have it work. The service manual should say what color the wires are suppose to be for the knock sensor. It's kinda weird that it would have broken like that. I'd check and make sure it's not getting pinched by the hood when it closes or it'll probably happen again.