/domg/ - Dominions general

Fucking humans edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=DontStaleDesuSempai3
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/0/135510378523776607/
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for xibalban intellectuals

TAKE YOUR FUCKING TURN
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WE'RE TRYING!

Nobody saw that.

is it a newbie game

Again I want to see if there is any interest for a DONTSTALE game. I'm fed up with all these stales.

I want to keep carrying on the tradition of dontstale. Send in your pretenders and I'll gauge how many people are interested and adjust the map/settings as needed.

no

Oh right forgot about the steam group discussion. Post your nations there.

From newb to intermediate. I don't mind 1 veter or two if it gets big enough.

no Idea who this guy is.

steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya/discussions/0/135510378523776607/
jesus christ let's try that again.

Might join as Shinuyama if I can figure them out tomorrow.

d-do I have to?

It's gone, man

yes nigger

Set Xibalba AI or I'll set myself AI.

And who are you?

Xibalba

Ulm

Both of these are me.

why wouldn't he just unstart delete Xibalba and restart?

That's fine too, but I refuse to play in a game with some absolute nigger like this Xibalba who takes almost the entire host time the first three turns and never does double turns.

Double nigger

post you're micro hells

Also, you could just forcehost every time he's the last one left. That'd be fine too.

Sceli actually did do his turn.

He set himself AI before I could swap him to the sub.

He managed to get me good, that guy.

Middle of night, new thread, let's keep recruiting!

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ElfingAround

Mods: Everything is an elf

Hey Ashdod

Don't forget to Frog and/or Toad

Expansion with invisible indies will be super fun.

No, I meant not a "NEETSONLY" game, please.

FrogandSent sorry about the stale last turn

Let's no descend into autcracy. Also I don't know if this corresponds to the will of the other players.

Some comment from Xibalba would be nice though, as I'm having doubts if he's even a /domg/ players given his lack of this basic courtesy. If he isn't that would make communication annoying.

Any protips to maintain more than 8 games once?

I'm calling that Atlantis is gonna stale this turn.

>be interested in playing Kailasa with a interesting innovative build
>check if it's available
>someone picked it
Time to kill myself.

Become NEET.

Ironic. The game was basically made for him to play that.

But then Bandar kicked him out of the game.

>not making your turns in work

How the fuck do you play Shinuyama?
Most of your summons need Turmoil, but your main mage is so expensive that it's probably not an option.
Most of your troops fucking suck and make you want to take Sloth, but then there are Dai Bakemono who is resource intensive.

Learn a bunch of the hotkeys. Formation and troop order hotkey make scripting battles much faster (and learn how to copy/paste mage scripts if you somehow haven't already).

Hotkeys can make your life easier in other areas too. Blood hunting got much less of a chore once I found out about the hotkeys, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get similar gains in other areas.

What innovative strategy?

Play a different nation and on a different map in each game. Helps avoid confusion.

>not making Dominions your work
I for one, have high hopes of Dominions 5 becoming an e-sport.

If I tell you you will steal it!
I never tell my innovations before playing them ;^)

I've seen people achieve some success going full scales and relying on the Dai Bakemono. I mean, I haven't seen them WIN, but they were pretty big and put up a pretty good fight.

t. nick

Dai Bakemono are your best troops, and actually do pretty decent in combat.. I'd definitely take production for them, otherwise you're stuck fighting your battles with low protection chaff.

For mages you get kind of fucked, either go with Sorcerers and pay tons for guys who are super old age or you can go with Uba and end up with the majority being pretty useless. I think I'd recruit mostly Uba and try to make them useful however I can, because I don't think Sorcerers are good enough to beat out 3 Uba.

Ignore your national death summons. Dai Oni don't need Turmoil and the rest are terrible.

I wanted to tell you why it was shit, desu.

I've had my fill of playing Kailasa for a long while. Their troops are too terrible early, and the nation isn't good enough lategame to make up for it.

You are shit, there is always a strategy that makes any nation viable.

In League terms: WAIT FOR KOREA

Does trampling count as an attack for the purpose of stuff like awe?

I hope it becomes a MOBA.
ULM

yes

>there is a strategy which can make Kailasa a decent nation
I don't believe you.

Don't know, I think I can do something cool even if they suck.

Advice on pretender design?
I think I'd take A4 since those buffs are important lategame and other than that full scales? I mean they can craft most other boosers themself and summon shit that cast those spells for them.
Maybe A4E1 so you can get late game mobile Dai Tengu buff support? Or can that be covered by Fairy Queens?
Magic scales for Ubas?

Jesus Christ, their pretender choices suck.

You can have them if host delets me.
I enjoy innovative strategies

You need to ask yourself a question: can I expand with Shinu?

You probably can't, so take an erf snek. If you can, A4E4S4-6 diversity titan might be a good choice.

Now I feel bad, senpai. Are you sure?

Just played a Kailasa game (ended in a strong lategame with 2 other powers) and have refined my future strat...I'll show you mine if you show me yours

I'm going to need a 12h extension for this turn.
Sorry guys, life got busy.

Dai Tengu are available much earlier in research than Faery Queens, use a different gem type, and come with a retinue of decent flying soldiers. They're very worth grabbing paths for on your pretender.

I'd also like to grab enough death for eventual tarts, but I can't seem to make something affordable which does so.

I wouldn't bother with magic scales for Uba unless you have excess points - 13RP each is already pretty high.

My current ideas are:

F3D5 Bakemono Kunshu, dormant. Great scales, tarts late, can SC. Doesn't get Dai Tengu, though.

F2A2E1D5 Bakemono Kunshu, dormant. Everything the above does, with slightly worse scales (points come out of magic scales, which aren't super important for the nation anyway). Can get Dai Tengu too, but you'd need to empower a Dai Tengu for air booster access (or buy it).

A4E2S5 Celestial General, dormant. Gets you air boosters and Dai Tengu with eventual access to rings (for great magical diversity) if you get some astral income. I think I like this one the most, but it'd have a harder time getting into tarts lategame than either of the above.

Do any of those look interesting to you?

This is a good point. All of the above designs take prod 3, but even that might not be enough to get a decent expansion.

("Innovative" sacred archer strats not accepted)

If you tell me your build and is better than mine, I'll maybe try yours.
What was it?

Probably the Celestial General.
I'd still love to have more pretender choices on Shinuyama.

>I'd still love to have more pretender choices on Shinuyama.
Yeah, me too. Japanese nations really get the short stick in pretender choices. Few options, and many of them are worse than comparable options on other nations.

>Japanese nations really get the short stick in pretender choices.
All Asian nations are like that, actually. What hurts them the most is lack of monster pretenders (other than erf snek, I guess), which tend to be very cost-effective, both as awake expanders and bless chassis.

*cost-efficient, obviously. I need to sleep.

A generous offer, but I believe I asked you first.
Also I think there's basically no chance your build is better. I've spent a ton of time with Kailasa.

I think the same about yours. What game was that one? Didn't see a kailasa player that got it right.

Were you Stalewarriors Kailasa for a casual?

That feel when no Gashadokuro pretender for Yomi and Shinu.

There's so much mad shit you could use for pretenders for those nations. Like the ghost with a giant eyeball in his asshole.

It wasn't a domg game, it was on Dom4Mods. Have you played a lot of Kailasa though? I don't think there's any build that I would consider better than mine...and you may feel the same. Absolutely no harm in posting pretender builds for example on domg. It just depends on how detailed you want to get. If I hear something genuinely new I'm happy to share my build and strategy, which imo is a more effective Kailasa than most people have seen.

Gashadokuro would be pretty rad though.

>undead
>stealthy
>invulnerable
>dark power
>population killer
>grab and swallow attack

>skeleton fifteen times the size of a man.
>stealthy.

I love it.

To be fair, what would YOU do if a skeleton fifteen times the size of a man told you that you hadn't seen it and to carry on about your day?

Go on my merry way and hope to god he's not here to blood hunt.

The thing is you already mocked on part of my build, so there is no reason to post it since you will consider it retarded. That's why I want to know why don't you consider at least a minor air bless for your sacred archers.

I feel like saying "you dont need a bless for archers" because Kailasa is a mage nation is like saying you dont want W9 for your vanheres because EA Van is a thug nation.

Sacred longbows is one of the only things Kailasa has, other than not slow to recruit E3 and W3 mages, which also benefit from extra precision because they are sacred.

Why do you think it's such a bad idea?

It's also got UNIVERSALLY sacred mages, who do benefit from an A minor. I'd still go mostly scales, but a couple minors don't hurt.

What does "UNIVERSALLY" mean in that context?

Ah, I'm glad I actually anticipated part of the build. It's just because every now and then someone has the idea for an A9F9 archer bless or something like it.
In brief: it's been tested, and it's only alright. A4 would of course be much cheaper so...it doesn't hurt you much. But it's still not good. Some reasons:
Your longbows are cap-only and compete with a better melee sacred
Your mages almost never need Prec since you'll be using lots of astral and your Yakshas will buff, not cast offensive (prec-requiring at least) spells.
You have cheaper fort and forestrec shortbows...4x cheaper in fact, so 4 times as many (slightly weaker) arrows for the same price.
You don't have easy F access for flaming arrows, nor do you really have easy air access for wind guide (Conj 6 for Kinnaras).

To be fair, A4 could be useful for forging stuff that requires A4...communioned Kinnaras can take care of high-level Air battle magic though.

I think not using GoH communions is a mistake, you should really consider those.

Every single national mage they have is sacred.

I'm curious, why do you consider their melee sacreds better? And please don't tell me you run W9 or E9 or some stupid pseudouseful bless.

They are supremely buffable. even lategame, no spell exists to give a unit awe. When you take care of their shit prot with iron warriors etc. they make extremely tough elite troops.
With N9E4 and ironskin they are unstoppable, and the bless is acceptable for expansion.

i can see it being useful after turn 30, but only bad neighbours would let you survive until then. Either that or a top tier diplomancing.

Yeah, GoH is great, get it if you can.

Their melee sacreds are better because they're very effective against most indies, for expansion, and once your buffs come online they're amazing in the lategame. I use N9E4 typically, W9 is a bit of a waste for the mid-lategame. And N is better for communions and commanders generally, also lets you do Mother Oak and GoH.

Something like this then?
Couldn't quite decide if I wanted Heat 3 or Cold 3. The latter for Shura thugs I guess.
Had 40 leftover points so bumped E to 4. Minor bless, acess to Staff of Elemental Mastery (your Sorcerers should get them too, but it takes effort and you get the other FW version).

You can hold against a decent number of different enemies with cheap shortbows and blockers and low-resource sacreds with Awe. If you go for Thaumaturgy, Soul Slay is useful against the types of enemies that give Yavanas a hard time. And at Thaum6 you're golden.

Eh Kailasa was just the first nation I decided on, I'm not dead set on them

While they are buffable, I don't see awe being any useful after turn 50, since most of the good mid-late units have perfect morale.
It might work in the turns 30 to 50, I think, but after that you won't get much use of them. Also 4 attacks per square is a bit disappointing.

Also any advice on early research goals?

I'm the guy who wanted to play Kailasa. I'll definitely try this N9 thing indeed, it seems interesting. But still I'm not sure on how do I feel on nude infantry.
Thanks a lot anyway, Kailasa-friend.

>tfw you wish you could sprite so you could make this.

No problem (although that last quote wasn't me).
Celestial Music is what really makes the Yavs shine, probably more than Awe. They get beastly. And your lategame magic diversity is strong. It's a good nation if you make it that far.

What did Celestial music do? Same as Quickening for all your units?

If you empower your pretender after the game has begun does the higher magic levels affect your bless?

I'm assuming it doesn't, but just to be sure.

Yep, it's the same effect. +3 attack, +3 def, and 2 moves per turn. Some people don't know that the "Quickness" in the W9 bless is only 1.5 moves per turn (every other turn they make 2 moves). And obviously you get +4 def instead of +3 def and +3 att.

>Gashadokuro

I do graphic character design, never tried sprites for this game, just if someone wants to link me to a guide for it, I'll give it a go.