polisummer.itch.io/arborgore
pastebin.com/R6hiXxpu
pastebin.com/HFvvc749
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>wake up this morning
>"today I will start work on my game's graphical assets"

>start modelling
>halfway done
>over 10 hours of work for a halfway-finished blender model, haven't even started UV mapping yet, let alone texturing

how do you guys do this holy shit

What is beauty?

preplanning optimization and eurobeat.

I hope you haven't forgotten to add pronouns in your game user.

Baby don't hurt me

I wish ANYONE would have the balls to reply to this brand of absurdity with the succinct "Haha no" that it deserves.

you could be a group of worms, let's be fair

Too late m8

THEY BETTER NOT FUCKING RUIN SHOVEL KNIGHT AND YACHT CLUB

>traps
eh nice

For what purpose?
I'd rather just say "I'll look into it, but no promises", than "haha no" followed by hours of people shitting on me for being a cisgendered white male.

I'd rather just not respond to such requests at all. Let the child beg some other adult for attention.

I'm making a Cabal/Wild Guns-type shooter. Not much to look at aesthetically right now, but the core gameplay is starting to come together.

Could I just completely exclude gender from my game? And race?

I agree with this, developers need to reply less to random things on twitter. It's easy to tell when a request is reasonable and when it's not.

Yes, make all character androgynous and give them nonexistent skintones. Make their faces small enough that you avoid the "white features but skin recolor" thing.

Yes. It can be a bit hard if you have a lot dialogue talking directly about your character, you'll have to avoid using "he" or "her", etc.
But making the player a genderless character is fairly common.

Treating the issue with kid gloves is what's got us where we are.

Might make every character something like in the pic tbqh

Days after release
>[user] creates work of groundbreaking LGBTQA++ significance!
>[user] creates a utopic depiction of a world without race, sex, or gender!
>[user] is truly the greatest ally in transqueer's search for acceptance and the abolishment of cisgendered privilege!

Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a book with 50k words in it without using the letter "e".
Surely one can manage avoiding pronouns in 50 minutes of vidya dialogue.

It's really useful to be able to see further behind you than ahead of you.

If that lets him becoma a 1MA millionaire, I'm happy for him.

Why is the cart shaking so much

>sjw types care about vidya promoting their bullshit
>sjw types care about vidya promoting their bullshit made by someone outside of their safespace

should be faster and bouncier

the jumping and movement look kind of rigid. the cart should be more animated and stretch/jostle in a cartoon way.

>this isn't the 80's video games have visuals

FUCK YOU REEEEE EAT SHIT FUCKINGT JIEERRFIMRKMEN E FUCK YOU

>already successful and released game gives into their whining
I can see how that is the same as user McHobbydev releasing a game without gendered characters.

Everything that moves in Bokube seems to shake and jitter around a lot. I don't understand it, is it supposed to be some kind of deliberate style? Because it looks awful.

Good, I'd thought you were too stupid to understand.

So I decided to attempt to use make_color_rgb and have each object store a color as a variable that is proportional to the distance. R, G, and B will scale together to keep things in a shade of grey with things topping off at 255. Then I'll have each object in view apply an image_blend of that color.

The goal is to have distant object have a darker overlay and have the close objects look unaffected. This is to give it a moody feel. Let's fucking hope it looks like I am imagining.

How do I make a game with a decent economy without needing a degree in economics?
I'm talking games like Harvest Moon or various strategy games. Anything where buying and selling is a major part of the game.

Who do you think you are?

Supply / Demand < 1.0 drives the price up, > 1.0 drives it down.

A decent economy is mostly common sense and . Do that much and you'll be farther ahead than most games.

More sleep menu progress, now got to populate the equipment box.

looking more and more dope

www.unity3d.com/accelerate yes or no?

Just made it so that if a hit occurs in battle with a special weapon or to someone wearing special armor (as determined by a flag in the item config) then a script is run.

It's basically paying to turn Unity into a shitty Unreal.

>Unity
no

Hey, C# people. Will this compile away the cast, so the lookup is just walls[1]? I don't want to manually make that optimization because this is more descriptive.

Just proof that Unity purposefully makes certain aspects shit in order to make money from asset store.

Why didn't you guys tell me that Blender is actually fun to use and mess around with?

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Arborgore
Dev: polisummer
Tools: Unity, Aseprite
Web: polisummer.itch.io/arborgore
Progress:
+ got new background music
+ have actual movement and attacking animations for character
+ added more voice quips
+ making executables for demo day
+ improved level generation

I bet it's too late but I posted it anyway.

Most people here think Blender is trash and that they have to pirate some expensive program because it will make them better at 3D modeling, spoiler: It wont, they're still shit

ohayou agdg

literal fucking joke engine

what a cute witch, does she have a cutie girlfriend too?

messing around is fun. have you made stuff yet?

breddy gud
But are there other puzzles that use this mechanic?

Blender's interface is objectively made by and for aliens, that doesn't make the software bad though.

Having issues respawning a power up I created.

I have it set up to trigger via an alarm by colliding with player. I have the item destroy after player touches it. But I tried setting up a game speed function to wait 5 seconds (300 frames) before creating it again, and it never comes back.

Can someone recommend me a code that will resapwn the power up 5 seconds after it is used?

pastebin.com/R6hiXxpu

>Nighty night, knight!

who else /not even halfway done with my game but already have a 'for the sequel' list of things that I won't be able to put in the game but I absolutely want once I start with the next game as soon as I finish this one/ here

Don't make the powerup despawn, just set it to "non-interactable" and stop drawing it. After five seconds WHY ARE YOU HARDCODING FRAMES YOU DOLT THAT IS NOT HOW YOU DO THIS LEARN ABOUT DELTA TIME YESTERDAY OR EVEN JUST USING ROOM_SPEED AAAAAHHHHH reverse that so the player can see it again and interact with it.

>game maker
>delta time
kek, good joke. Why do you think 90% of game maker games have hard coded logic and are capped at 30FPS? It's because the engine is shit.

Is there a bonus stage where you can take back Jerusalem from the infidels and reclaim the holy land for /ourteam/?

Did you read the next six words? I bet you haven't done that, because you would have realized that that case was clearly covered in my post and feel like an idiot posting a reply like that.

I'm scared to post my game, you'll all laugh at it

I'm pretty new. What codes are to get it to disappear from screen? I tried alpha = 0 trying to do something similar and it didn't go away.

And how do I write the room_speed? I've been trying to figure that one out all day because I figured it had something to do with that or frame passes.

make a comedy game

Bullying you will make you stronger, and your game better.

Do it!

Just filter out non-constructive criticism (a la "it's shit") and you'll be good.

in b4 some sociopath replies saying "it's shit" is useful feedback

Use the draw event. If any code is in there, it draws nothing unless you tell it to via code in that event. Basically
if available: draw_self

I know you want to flex your developer nuts for the newbie but part of being a good teacher is not shitting advanced concepts (by relative comparison) all over somebody who's struggling to properly set their sprites.

>people were defending this earlier

Don't worry, we've seen worse.

>draw event
>advanced concept (even by comparison)
Less advanced than setting alpha, to be frank.

Andromeda looks fucking hideous, both in terms of models and animation.

How did they take such a big step back from the previous games?

Hmm, Bullet's not playing nice with these rocket colliders. I could probably fix it with another couple hours of debugging, but I'm more tempted just to go back to a regular raytrace like all the other projectiles.

So, I set the image_alpha = 0 after contacting player. Instance_deactivate_object(obj_powerup) occurs immediately after.

But now I'm stuck at the same point. How do I count 300 frames (or any amount of time) so that I can then reactivate the alpha and obj powerup?

There's a functionality called Alarms in GM:S. Docs should explain it sufficiently.

>He doesn't use raycasts with all his projectiles to avoid them passing through a collider.

probably let amateurs work on it because they had pink hair

Can you use raycast with a grenade launcher?

is that more motion capture

It accurately simulates a shitty actor's inability to throw a convincing fake punch. It's just like the original Star Trek you know and love!

The suits would have gone:
>So you made the last three games with x budget and all of them were successful and produced the same amount of sales and revenue?
>We'd like you to make the game with 70% of x budget this time, so that we can slice some more profit out of that revenue.

Also, in terms of quality, Bioware has been on a rapid downward slide since ME3.

Anyone ever had an issue with multiplying by Time.deltaTime not having any effect and still locking the float to the framerate?

Well, that might be slow enough that you dont need it. But any time I have a projectile moving fast enough that I have collision problems with it, I do a raycast along its speed vector to ensure I don't miss a collision. See pic.

Unironically yes.

I do raycast with all the other projectiles, this one is supposed to be doing a sweep-test for the same result, it's just not registering on all surfaces.

I've tried checking if it was tunneling and it wasn't, you can fire at the same wall from any distance and it still goes through, while the next one always hits. Something's just not registering overlaps properly in Bullet so I'm gonna go back to regular raycasts.

They've been going downhill ever since MotB, desu

Can you be more specific? If I specify anything other than instance_destroy, ALL the powerups will disappear if only 1 is touched. Then they don't come back on. The alarm page doesn't say anything about passing time to reactivate.

I went ahead and used an alarm[1] = 300; and then in the alarm, I put instance_activate_object(obj_player) but nothing happened still. Also, this caused every powerup to disappear and not just the one that came into contact with the player.

I need to replay HotU

Ah, I see. Nothing sketchy with your bullet body? Well you can always rely on a raycast.

There must be, I don't know what yet. I use the same trick for character movement and I always hit that far wall even when I'm sprinting at 10x the speed the rockets go.

I am watching intently, user.

pretending to give a shit is fuel that powers civilization

>instance_activate_object(obj_player)
You are activating obj_player, not obj_powerup with this line. Of course the power-ups are unaffected.

I strongly advise against using "instance_activate_object". It's not what you want. It takes the whole object and shuts down any and all(!) code in that object.
What you need is something like this: pastebin.com/HFvvc749

Embarrassing and largely irrelevant attempt at profundity.

my player character is going to be gender-ambiguous and race-ambiguous, might even just not show they skin and leave it completely up to the imagination
thinking up game mechanics, doing level design, doing visual design, making music, and maybe attempting a story... I'd rather do any of that than try to tie all that in to *what* the player is in a way that makes sense
my player character is just some person for the most part

Seriously fuck /agdg/, I've been here a while, posting progress , did some jams. I posted on reddit and now I'm finally going to make it. Have fun with your fucking memes.

>he posted it again

post game