Hatchback opinions

Anyone have impressions on the new Mazda 3 wagon or the Impreza hatch? I'm thinking of scooping one if I can find one sub 15k.

i think it looks nice

Both are great choices.
I went for a mazda3 simply because pancake engines arent my cup of tea

Neither, Vw Polo all the way

Hows the ride? Thinking of heading down to give it a test drive tomorrow.

Personally think the Mazda 3 just looks better.
Have never driven neither but currently have a Mazda2 2016 and it's pretty nice.

hatchbacks are fugly

Get a civic for 3k instead. Take an awesome vacation with the leftover 12k.

Burning away 12k in 2-3 weeks or spend 12k on a car that last 5+ years.

The 3k civic can last 5+ years too.

i dunno, the mazda front looks so much more suited as a sedan

Sure after you dump 12k in repairs.

Love this meme

There's a Mazda3 near me and I'm gonna go down to test drive it tomorrow. Only thing is it's the sedan and I really like the look of the hatchback better. Maybe there'll be a manual hatch at the dealership as well and it just wasn't on Autotrader

Post the impreza

>calling anything but a shit post a meme
So you have nothing to debate the point so you can only discredit it by calling it a meme.

This is you.

I don't care how reliabe you think a car is, around 150-200k miles a car will start needing major repairs. The only way you can buy a car for 3k is when it needs repairs or will soon need repairs or if it has extremely milage, which is the same as will soon need repairs.

The ride is firm but not annoying or harsh.
The impreza was actually about the same suspension wise, but the seating position and seats made if feel more "upright" rather than sporty.
That's the best i can describe it

Meant for

I like them both, though the appearance package on the 3 looks damn good.

Owning a crosstrek, if you are tall, test drive a subaru for ~30 mins. The only way my seats are comfortable leaves me ducking to see under the rearview. Only spot really to avoid leg and or back cramps slowly creeping up.

Better front end but last Gen Speed3's are still superior.

This

I'LL NEVER DRIVE A HATCHBACK

SPEED 3 NOW REEEEEEE

get the 2.5 skyactiv with the 6 speed manual. 184 hp and torque, and can make 200 with a tune.

Thats it?

You mean hatch? There is no wagon and the mazda6 wagon never came stateside.

Its FWD, are you expecting hilarious amounts of HP that you won't ever put down or something?

The car weighs like 2900 right? Its pretty peppy, i have a friend with one. Its obviously not a sports car but its a pretty brisk commuter. The car is pretty driver centric with a well set up chassis so it feels a lot quicker than it is

Not really. Maybe another 3k over 5 years. 6k left over still makes a nice vacation or more money down on a house.

Is Mazda the king of light, peppy "cars of the people?"

To add to this, the 2017 MX5 has only a slightly better power to weight ratio (15.25 lb/hp) than the Mazda3 2.5 (15.7 to 16 lb/hp)

You shut your whore mouth

>falling for the Mazda meme

Nice try.
No one hates mazda

Volvo c30 t5
Turbo charged inline 5 cylinder engine.

I DD one. Would recommend

Go look up the new Civic Si spec and come post again

Damn
I've been a big fan of white mazda3's
But that red is gorgeous.

I have a 2016 Mazda3 hatch. It's the best-driving of the non-sporty hatches. Best steering, even better than the GTI's imo. Handling's pretty good (still non-sporty), and the interior's great. Mazda's infotainment system is probably my favorite in the segment. It's well laid-out and easy to use.

But the back seats are pretty tight and the road noise is high. The 2.5L engine is very slow to respond to throttle input (also doesn't feel all that strong) and the manual transmission is rubbery compared to the one in the Miata (still better than lots of others, but not fantastic). The bottom-hinged throttle pedal makes heel and toeing harder. The pedals are loud when you first get on them.

The Civic hatch wasn't out at the time. It's a better car all around, more spacious, the 1.5L turbo is better, but the steering's numb and adjusting the volume is a serious pain.

The GTI's trunk is too small for my use, and the Golf wagon is significantly less sporty than the Mazda3. I actually prefer the Mazda's handling over the GTI's, which feels heavy and slow to settle into a turn. Bad turbo lag, too.

The Focus's interior is kaleidoscopic in a bad way.

I would not be surprised if the new Impreza were better overall. We won't get the new Impreza hatch in the US for a while though, and the old one is a little crude.

Forgot to mention, Mazda's safety tech is a lot less obtrusive than Subaru's. I didn't get lane departure warnings or forward collision stuff, just blind spot monitoring, but I've tried them all in both brands' cars and Subaru's system is a bit hyperactive.

I'd say so. They feel light and lively (even if the 2.5L Mazda3 isn't really light), and I think that hurts sales because most people like the hunkered-down feel and couldn't give a damn about steering feel. I hope they manage to survive without giving in.

That Mazda actually looks very good.

>They feel light and lively (even if the 2.5L Mazda3 isn't really light), and I think that hurts sales because most people like the hunkered-down feel and couldn't give a damn about steering feel.
To me the new Mazda 3 steering doesn't really feels lighter than the previous one, even if now the steering is electrical.

The 2007-2014 felt more nervous, current gen feels more stable, serious (and safe), but with still a somewhat lively rear. Engines feel a little more linear too.

But all around they're good DD, with the best cost/fun/practicality/look ratio on the market right now.

The new civic can eat shit imo, I'm not autistic enough to own an animu looking car.

good things to consider, totally missed the subtleties in the test drive. thank you for the input!

That slow response was something I noticed with the mazda6 as well.

The 2017 Impreza Sport is a great car. The symmetrical awd is dope. Power is weak. Gas mileage is alright. I've driven the lower trim levels and they handle pretty good. First cars on the new Subaru global platform with like a 70% increase in body rigidity. But hands down the biggest reason I'm getting one and it's pretty petty but, it has an 8inch super responsive touch screen. The best I've seen in a car yet. Better than the new volvos, ect ect. Mazdas infotainment can take a hike. Yeah this isn't a big deal but the impreza comes with android auto and apple car play standard on the base models. It just works so well and looks so good. It really feels like the nicest car subaru has to offer right now. It'll hold me over until they release a new WRX hatch.

if it had a v6 or flat 6 I would buy the hatch

Is it bad that I want to get a Mazda3 sedan just because of the aesthetics? I know the hatchback is better in pretty much every way, but still.

>infotainment
You are a cuck

>aesthetics
Looks like a budget infiniti. So yes, it's bad.

You mean infinity looks like a budget mazda.

>2.5l
>fwd
>slow as fuck shit box

A decent looking car let down by literally everything else.

Nice mental gymnastics.

This isnt an argument.
But seriously. Nissan is shit and copied mazdas design.

No MPS version?

>he actually believes both of these things
LOL.

>wut is the q50?

I have a Mazda 3 2014 diesel hatch, manual. Cons are rear legroom, cargo space, road noise. Apart from that it's a good car.

Stop faggot. Buy a civic for 3k or get something actually good.

>liking any nissan product
Hahaha the delusions run deep in you

Nah, the sedan is pretty

>this is what we call moving the goal post

mazda hatches are nice

I don't want to use a touchscreen when I'm driving, so I prefer Mazda's knob.

Granted, I do use the touchscreen to enter addresses (when stopped; Mazda locks out the touchscreen when moving) and it is pretty slow then.

In the previous two generations of Mazda3 I thought the hatch looked a lot better... but I think this time it's the other way around. The sedan looks great, and it's probably a little bit quieter too (they usually are).

I still bought the hatch for the utility, but nothing wrong with getting the sedan.

Apparently a tune that requires premium helps a lot with throttle response. I plan on doing that in the next few months. Going with OrangeVirus.

I'm considering a Mazda 3 Sedan as my next car, and while I haven't seen the hatchback physically, I did see a sedan this weekend. And the trunk still seemed spacious as fuck (At least compared to my Picanto).

Never ever

Don't buy something you don't want. Wait for the right car.

I love my 2012 mazda 3 2.5, idk why but I want a mazda speed now,

are the speeds worth getting into? I want more go and to be able to track it and keep it forever etc.

my 2.5 handles pretty nicely imo but a speed for more straight line performance would be nice

it's another 6-10k over top of my mint condition 2.5 and even then it'd be thrashed and abused by some pleb...

would it be worth turboing the 2.5 since the 2.5 weighs 300lbs or more less than the speed, or even swapping in the speed engine etc since everything speed swaps in directly?

Not worth turboing a normal one, just get a 2nd-gen Mazdaspeed. There are a lot more differences than just the turbo, and they're pretty important (e.g. suspension bushings, engine mounts, and I assume the transmission was beefed up).

It's worth it. I'd just worry about longevity; make sure you run a more viscous oil for track use.

Making a custom order at the dealership might be an option, but I'm not sure how much you can haggle/negotiate with such an order.

I did that. Had to pay MSRP minus incentives, which weren't bad at the time. The discount for the manual transmission helps too; it's still a much bigger difference than the actual production cost.

Yea alright. I'll have to trade mine in, Hopefully more 2013 models start coming up for sale since they changed lots inside.

it sucks because mazda's in an excellent position to make a damn good speed3
by the time they actually make one they'l probably have lapsed back into mediocrity