Thanks Veeky Forums

Bought a cheap manual car yesterday. First time ever driving one. My main problem is I stall the engine when I try to start accelerating from a stop. I either don't accelerate fast enough or I let up on the clutch too soon and stall the car or spin the tires and jump. Is there anyway to quit doing this or does it just require more practice?

Also I'm not going to break something by stalling so much right? Car only has 30k miles and got it for $3000. I'm gonna keep practicing but any general tips? The car salesman drove it like a race car, shifted silky smooth. That's my goal, 0-60 from stop as quick as I can. I know it takes experience though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xcWEIJGehXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Find an amply parking lot and practice.

Start by getting the car moving with o ly the clutch no throttle. Then move on to using some throttle.

Do this many many times till you can start smooth

just requires more practice. As for breaking something since your car is only at 30k the risk of you breaking anything is minimal although your clutch is probably going to get worn quite a bit depending on how shitty you are, but those aren't too expensive so it's no biggie.
What did you buy? that's a fuckin steal

Learn to operate the gas pedal smoothly. Eventually you'll apply just enough pressure to get the revs to about 1.5-2k and be able to lift the clutch slowly. Lifting the clutch isn't very hard, you can do it as slowly as you want. But applying just enough throttle to not stall but to not burn up the clutch upon launching takes a bit of practice.

Keep trying user.

When i first learned on a manual i went to an empty road and did burnouts everywhere until i could ease the throttle.

Thanks for the replies anons.

It's a 2007 Hyundai Accent with a few dings and scrapes. They were asking $5,500 but paid cash and got it for $3,000.

I will try to get used to letting the car move with just the clutch like user suggested until I can get used to the release point and not stall or spin the tires.

Thanks so far anons!

wow that's awesome user, good luck on your ventures it won't take long at all to get used to, IMO steep hills are the hardest part

Came to say this

I started practicing around February this year and it is all down to practice. I used to crawl with clutch only until I began adding gas and grew in confidence.

Now it is almost natural, I roll back a bit sometime, but less and less the more I drive. Though my car is a bit cut throat with it being a mk4 Fiesta, it's age has a less than forgiving cut off point, so room for error is small. I am surprised the clutch hasn't been wrecked yet given the shit it taken.

sounds like you're dropping the clutch.

let it out smoothly and slowly

you're not going to wear threw your clutch whilst you learn how to use the car. let it out until the car starts to move a small amount, then increase accel, then release the rest of the clutch. just don't drive around for ages with your foot on the clutch. thats what will wear it out.

Turn of traction control

easy way to never stall from a stop. put the car in first(or reverse if you're moving backwards. first and reverse have the same controls). lightly lay on the throttle, and keep the revs steady at about 2k, 2.5k if you're on an incline, and SLOWLY let off the clutch. you'll feel the clutch gripping at the bite point. as you let off the clutch, you'll move forward because your revs are at 2k. as your clutch gets higher, your revs will get lower, so try to keep it steady at 2k.

now if you still aren't sure where exactly your bite point(the threshold for the clutch to gain traction and which you must pass in order to switch gears) is, try this. (((YOU SHOULD DO THIS BECAUSE IT MAKES DRIVING YOUR CAR LESS OF AN EXERCISE OF REMEMBERING WHAT TO DO, AND MORE OF MUSCLE MEMORY)))

when my father taught me how to drive manual, he had me do this for half an hour or so, just to get myself used to the car. take it to an empty parking lot like other anons have said. find a flat space where the car won't roll off in neutral with parking brake disengaged. put it in first, and keep the clutch to the floor. no gas this time. very, VERY slowly let off the clutch. I mean SLOW, nigga. there will be a point on the clutch where it will offer a different amount of resistance to your foot, and you will feel the car moving forward slightly, being carried by the revs of your idling engine. this is the bite point of your clutch. speaking of revs, keep your eyes on 'em. don't worry about anything else. when you're at the bite point, you'll notice the revs begin to drop slowly as you release the clutch SLOWLY (can't stress that enough. if you let off too fast, you'll stall from not having a high enough engine speed). once you have an idea of where the bite point is, try moving around in first for a bit.

(cont.)

(cont.)

you should also know where the top end of the bite point is. like I said, the bite point isn't a single point, it's more of a threshold. same empty parking lot. get yourself into second gear (while moving, bud) and put yourself at a steady speed. try having the revs at about 2.5 k for this (which in my accords means 25 mph in 2nd). while keeping a steady speed, push down the clutch all the way, but do it a bit slower than you would when actually driving. this is so you will feel the spot where the tension of the clutch is higher. that spot, when you reach it, is the bite point's top end. when you push through that, if you keep an eye on the revs, you'll notice that that point is when the revs begin to drop, as the engine is no longer being matched by the tires. you'll begin to coast. come to a stop and try it again and again.

all in all, you should spend a lot of time getting to know your car so that when you drive it, it less like you're operating a machine, and more like you're working in tandem with it. you and your car should both be in sync.

Thanks user for those posts. I've studied every post so far. I will do my best to let the clutch off VERY slowly and learn the release point.

In GB if you don't pass your test in a manual then you can't drive a manual on the streets, I assume that's not the case over there? I understand we've all gotta learn sometime, but surely you shouldn't be legally alllowed to drive something on public roads that you can't really operate properly?

and remember: the drivers behind you can honk their horns all they want. they don't know your story. drive at your own pace. have fun!

Eventually you'll be able to do this without thinking: been driving a manual for as long as I've been driving, I don't look at revs or anything, I just know by the feel where I should be and most people will be able to do the same with a bit of practice,

in the US, the DMV doesn't allow the driver test to be taken in a standard vehicle. autos are more popular here, so the test needs to be taken in an automatic. manuals are seen as niche vehicles here.

Instead of trying to hold it at 1500 RPM when you're first learning, you can tap the gas to keep it at 1500-2000, like in this vid. Then you can let out the clutch slowly without it stalling or launching

youtube.com/watch?v=xcWEIJGehXU

Well if you can't drive manual and you roll into someone that's your fault because manuals aren't standard over here. It's common sense to practice enough to master it before you go on public roads, just like a 15 year old is taught when learning how to drive automatics.

Manuals are niche here but it's important to know how to drive one in case of an emergency and the only car available is manual

Doing a good race launch is hard, especially as a beginner.

Really learn your clutch like others have said, and on level ground and down slopes don't use gas to make sure you get the full feel of it grabbing.

When you can use the clutch to get it going, and completely take it off while maintaining a smooth engine motion, THEN apply gas, you'll be getting it figured out.

But, it is additional wear and tear on your clutch, learning properly. Or you could alternatively beat the shit out of it until you get it, which could arguably do more damage.