ITT: Corvette C4 and why I shouldn't buy it

I'm looking at a C4, preferably '85 or older because apparently '84 sucks (crossfire and all that shit). What are the inconveniences of this car? What sucks about them? Stupid things that make you want to kill yourself? For example,
>remove side panel to get access to battery

I really like the look of them. Note: I live in Europe, parts are more expensive to me than to Americans.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lTMSEMMED3Q
nhentai.net/g/121832/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

'85 or newer, not older, sorry.

That engine is really under powered, 92 and above is probably what you should be shooting for for that LT1 (or LT4) and sweet sweet interior upgrade

I don't know anything about the l98s unfortunately

I've heard this as well, but people on forums said that the low end torque makes it feel powerful. Also, I'm 19 and I currently drive a miata 1.6 which is considered a sports car here, so I think a not so fast car is better for me. I won't kill myself with it at least.

C4 is the Corvette that nearly killed the brand from being so shit and C5 is the one that revived it.

Creaky interior, reverse flowing coolant, ironblock engine, shitty magnetic suspension that falls on it's face. Get a C5 instead

Insurance is about €70 a month with a C4, same as my miata. Insurance for a C5 is about €210 a month, also way higher road tax (C4 is considered an almost classic, you pay very little road tax if you don't drive it in dec, jan and feb)

I guess the suspension sucks, but is it prone to failing? Also, the reverse flowing coolant system may be odd, but is it really that much of a hassle over a regular coolant system? Is an ironblock engine bad because it's heavy?

Also, how hard are these cars to work on myself? Considering I do most of the easier work on my miata as well, like changing spark plugs/fluids etc.

If you like them you should get one. I'm sure they'll be very reliable and you won't have any problem working on the thing. They'd cost a fair in fuel costs I'd assume however

Yeah, that's the thing though: maybe I'm so in love with these things that I fail to see the bad things about them. Gas is bad, you're right, especially when we pay €1,50 a litre here.

C4 Corvette sounds really great on paper. After all...

>300+HP
>Decent handling
>$5000 gets a decent one these days

Until you realize that

>Parts are expensive
>Manual transmissions are FUCKING expensive if you break one because ZF 6MTs are german memeboxes
>Most sellers are just getting rid of them because they can't be arsed to maintain them any longer
>80s tier GM """engineering""" will cause you lots of headaches as random shit breaks constantly until you've eventually replaced an entire car's worth of things

I actually believe that an older Diesel Mercedes is less of a pain to own and run than one of these older Corvettes.

Don't fall for the C5 meme either. Buying a "cheap" one will only end with you eventually paying up to the amount of a well-kept one as you fix the things that break.

Basically, if you can't afford a C6 right now, don't waste your money on a Corvette. Everyone on forums and Jalopshit said that the C4 market was at rock bottom and to "go buy one right now!" but what nobody told you was that it was for a damn good reason that the C4 was bottoming out.

This is the advice I needed. On my budget it's just not gonna happen. I already find it shitty when I have to pay €50 for new spark plug wires for my miata.

that car has no power, it's from the era of emissions cucking and v8's that made 200 hp and ran the 1/4 in 17 seconds.

Just no.

If you really want a reference to back up my post, this guy did a series on attempting to make an older C4 Vette a daily driver. He fell for the fucking meme and paid the price in keks.

youtube.com/watch?v=lTMSEMMED3Q

It ended in fucking disaster and he wound up selling it on CL in my area at a sizable loss. I actually went and looked at it and even with all the things he did to it, he still could not sort out many of the niggles that made it not worth owning. Chalk it up to old shitty 80s engineering, low-quality GM electrical components, crappy interior quality, and other shit.

if he wanted power he would pick a c5 wouldn't he?

Fucking 6 dollars per gallon holy shit are you serious? How do you live?

Simple.

Well it's pretty hard. One fill up for my miatas gas tank (45L) costs me around €65. I am going to participate in the green card lottery this year. I fucking love V8's and big displacement engines. I hate all these 1 litre shitboxes that everyone drives here. Cars are the things I love the most, please let me in guys. I'll be a good American.

Have you ever been here? Because not a single minute on the road will pass here without seeing one of these cars. They suck so hard. My miata feels like a corvette in comparison to my moms toyota aygo.

They're shit. Get a C3, at least it looks good.

I live in the Netherlands, so I know exactly how you feel. There's not a single street without one of those damn things.

But I like the C4 :(

fuck us, right?

Jesus Christ you're retarded.

>Parts are expensive
Some parts are, most of them aren't. It's a small block chevy, they're a dime a dozen.

>Manual transmissions are FUCKING expensive if you break one because ZF 6MTs are german memeboxes
So buy an auto or don't break it.

>Most sellers are just getting rid of them because they can't be arsed to maintain them any longer
Most sellers are getting rid of them because they've grown bored of them.

>80s tier GM """engineering""" will cause you lots of headaches as random shit breaks constantly until you've eventually replaced an entire car's worth of things
That's any 80s car that hasn't been maintained. Solution: Buy one that's not beat to shit and falling apart.

>I actually believe that an older Diesel Mercedes is less of a pain to own and run than one of these older Corvettes.
Because that's a great comparison. I'll run out and buy a diesel Mercedes instead now.

>but what nobody told you was that it was for a damn good reason that the C4 was bottoming out.
Because of it's age. EVERYTHING bottoms out. Bottoming out means it's done depreciating and will soon start to appreciate. This is a rare instance when buying a fun sporty car on the cheap can actually be an investment as it gains value. That's why they're saying to buy one.

The car isn't terrible on power the L98 is just a really good truck engine. Plenty of low end to mid range power, but not great at the top end where you're measuring peak HP. Port the heads and throw a different intake on it and they're great.

Hey I just put the battery back in my 87 last night

>wanted to kill myself the whole time

I actually own a c4 corvette so disregard everyone else.

>What are the inconveniences of this car?
Getting in and out.
The ride quality is akin to that of a skateboard.
The digital dash is cool in theory but more likely than not it is busted in one way or another. Fixing it yourself is pain in the ass and you'll probably fuck it up like I did.

That's about it. There's also this thing called VATS which wont let the car start if you get the key dirty.

350ftlbs in a plastic barbie car isnt underpowered. It may not haul so well past 60mph but below that itll scoot.

The c4 is like a really, really wide miata except stuff actually happens when you smash the gas.

disregard this fag he doesnt know. the only one of these that applies to all corvettes is the creaky interior.

>Parts are expensive
My 1989 has the same engine and transmission that would come in a 1989 silverado. The only expensive parts are vette specific parts like the wheel bearings and forged aluminum suspension bits.

99% of c4 corvettes have the 700r4/4l60e

anecdotal bs
also anecdotal.

My 1989 ran 14s brand new.

Not really into that anime/comic shit, but I gotta admit that pic got my attention. The fuck is that from?

>comic
It's actually called "manga", you uninformed shitlord.

me too, im into the hentai, as the kids say

nice taste

nhentai.net/g/121832/

So what exactly is the full context of this? Is she supposed to be his teacher or something?

They'll blow up.