Why do people act like FWD to RWD is so impossible?

Why do people act like FWD to RWD is so impossible?

I dont see where frabrication is needed
cant you just run a driveshaft down where the exhaust shaft is and delete the entire exhaust shaft and put some little side pipe there? like whats the issue? most cars have huge bumps on the interior already for the exhaust

and what if you just rip out all the computer and electronic stuff and go to carbs? i mean why not? anything goes if you're a mechanic

Other urls found in this thread:

chevythunder.com/gm_throttle_body_injection_pg_1.htm
youtu.be/7hCPODjJO7s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shit m8, you opened my eyes.

Man night time Veeky Forums is where magic happens

Have you ever noticed a fucking RWD car has a huge bulge through the unibody for the driveshaft to guy? You know the transmission and driveline tunnel? Guess what FWD cars don't have.

Hell, even in RWD cars the lack of an adequate transmission tunnel is why the Dodge Charger is only offered as an automatic, despite the hellcat trim.

basically, you'd need to completely rework the underside of the chassis of the car but to be fair that would be a cool fucking project if you did it right

This is wrong but so is OP.

cant you put any engine in anything if you run carbs? with cacrbs isnt anything just an "afternoons" work?

>Exhaust shaft

You can do better than this.

It would probably be easier to build an Midship RWD out of a front wheel drive.

Just take the front end of an FF and just drop it in the trunk.

That's how Toyota made the most dangerous car EVER.

good ideas, but the true genius is a diesel engine. carbureted.

you'll need the electronics for liquid cooling and a copper alloy block to control precise heat levels.

would that be easier

Probably not, but if you're starting with an FF, you already got a car with no tranny tunnel, a transverse engine, and a transaxle... so you got all the parts.

Now you need to do is figure out how to convert grocery storage compartment to engine bay.

Come on, pick up a stick welder and get creative. You'll be snap-oversteering in no time.

come on. tell me I'm a fucking mastermind. it's brilliant.

if i run it through a hydrolic drive train, it will last forever, too. my only problem is how do i invent this shit and not get famous.

oh and before anyone asks

>hydrolic drive train
this is when run a pump directly on the rotor that spins a turbine transmission.

>not running a diesel wankel

A lot of heavy equipment works this way. The drivetrain losses are horrific.

well isn't that cute...

yes but it's perfect with a diesel carburetor, since that engine will hit harder than anything anywhere near its class.

drivetrain losses will be a blessing

>>drivetrain losses will be a blessing
well not exactly. I mean isolating the engine from the work of the drive train is the blessing. since it would harness every bit of the chamber for the explosion.

Wow what a bizarre engine, I'd never even heard of such an arrangement. After a bit of reading it is not fucking wonder it failed in the past, but with modern bearing technology, these could actually work.

okay, to explain what I mean.

with spark ignition, your explosion starts from the spark. with a regular diesel, the explosion starts from where fuel is injected. in a a diesel carburetor, the fuel is in the air while compression happens, and ignition happens when it hits the right temperature. with copper- that temperature is totally evenly distributed throughout the cylinder meaning a huge (full) explosion with no growth. instantaneous.

YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER THAT'S THE WRONG FUCKING MR2.

Seriously, the ZZW30 is probably the safest out of all 3 MR2s. It doesn't even fucking snap oversteer. It drives like a fucking miata. The one that kills is the SW20.

yeah, and the laydown position for the pistons is ideal since gforces won't fuck up my gas behavior.

this engine is a hidden gem. and carburetors are coming back. with advanced electronic cooling systems. this is my future now.

nah ive driven a miata and it still drives different from a 3rd gen mr2
the miata will oversteer if you push it, but the zzw30 (which i daily) does want to spin around a lot faster if you dont react quickly.

that said, its probably a lot milder than a sw20 or aw11

I wish this meme would die.

FWD models that has AWD as an option all have drive shaft tunnels. While some are fwd, most these days have AWD as an option and the bodys are shaped for it.

I fail to see a single benefit to a carb when even I could build my own EFI system with infinite on the run variability. If you really wanted TBI with a modern system would seem to be the best of both worlds (assuming there is actually a benefit to carbs which I doubt)
>most
Name a single Honda
You also need space for the transmission tunnel dum dum. Why do you think the RWD charger is only made as an automatic. These cars were designed to be AWD from day one. You can make an AWD or RWD car FWD, but you can't make a FWD car AWD or RWD if it wasn't built into the design in the first place. Part of the allure of FWD is the flat floor.

To further, you aren't making a FWD car RWD in your cases, you are simply converting a factory FWD to factory AWD and removing the front axles. Not even remotely the same.

People with FWD DSMs would commonly convert them to AWD with OEM parts. And AWD DSMs would often be made RWD by removing the front axles.

Now do that with a Honda civic.

a carburetor fuel delivery will always be superior. you say you can get variability, but you can't. a simple river born from the natural forces of earth will always be more powerful and terrifying than anything man can create.

you may this it's just bullshit, but if you disconnect your system from the forces of nature in key ways- you're going to miss out.

I could ride a jetstream. you probably think that's stupid.

>natural forces
>still uses man made electric point ignition

I bet your car doesn't even have drum brakes.

are those better than disks?

500 bucks and an afternoon

yeah bro its fuckin cake, a motor swap and drivetrain swap is no prob bro. i can fucking pull it off no sweat with some hand tools in my garage.

jesus christ. no shit its possible. its just a massive pain in the ass.

God no, just as a carb isn't better than a computer controlled EFI.

Discs have the advantage of far better cooling, and simplicity oddly enough.

well I agree with you on breaks, but I've told you exactly how carburetor's are better.

you can max your intake to whatever you want, but you won't get the burst I will. Ever. Wheras I will have to find it on the perfect vortex, but probably will.

You're literally advocating for a set Venturi device over the magic of a computer. Dude, no. Relying on a delta P to control fuel flow, while genius at the time, is so outdated I could take an Arduino and a simple solenoid and have closed loop operation that would btfo your archaic mechanical system.

If you are not trolling, dear lord please tell me why you think such a silly thought?

I'd still use a computer, honestly.

This is a 2016 Honda Civic. Drive shaft tunnel.

I'd adjust the carburetor itself. I'm on another planet bro.

I'll tell you all about my thought. then maybe it won't sound so silly to you. I get a cleaner vortex than you. inevitably, you are creating spray points. I am not. like a clean, natural river with a perfect shape.

it's the shape of the air, man

it's all about the air.

Then why not use an early FI system like the GM TBI? You get your well mixed vortex while having the full ability to control it as you please.

I may be totally ignorant, but I also think a carburetor has a higher potential than fuel injection, blatantly put. I don't think you'd reasonably even program your ecu to inject as much fuel as a carb diesel could handle at the peak of its power. why would you?

show me though. it's not like I know everything. I want to learn. GM TBI huh. I'll have to visualize this after some googling.

>but I also think a carburetor has a higher potential than fuel injection
You can buy as big of fuel injectors as your heart pleases. Tit for tat maybe on a stock car in 1984 a carb would do better, but there is a reason that no car uses carbs, and its not emissions.

Here is my engine. Six throttle bodies, six fuel injectors controlled by a closed loop ECU constantly correcting itself to make the perfect AFR. You can't do this with a carb. Over 100hp/L. Maybe on tiny little engines like lawn mowers and weed whackers carbs still have a future, as an ECU is cost and space prohibitive, but they are dead, and should be. From factory cars, to motorsports, to aviation, to giant oceanliners. Nobody uses carbs. If you don't want an ECU, you use a carb, if you have an ECU, you are pissing away potential power.

So yes, while mixing fuel with airflow is important, you are grossly ignorant. That said, if you feel so strongly for a 30 year dead technology, you certainly have the will to learn more than 99% of the tards on here.

a carb doesn't need correcting.

Oh and I agree that a carburetor wastes some potential power. 100% no doubt it does.

But I don't care. It's too good for that to matter.

So the way a carb works is it uses suction to draw fuel into the airstream. The more air you draw into the engine, the more fuel that gets sucked in too.

The problem is, you can't add more or less fuel. What you get is a matter of mechanical setup.

Now with a computer controlled fuel injector, you can run rich as you want for max power, or as lean as you want for economy.

Carbs a fucking marvel of engineering. But the fact is they simply aren't adjustable on the fly. Like a distributor ignition, or a normal cam shaft gear, they fall short to variable electronic ignition you can advance/retard on the fly, variable valve lift you can change as wanted.

Anyways, GM TBI was a very early fuel injection method which fits your bill of perfect mixing, however you will see even then it is extinct.
Because it is physically unable to. It can't let more or less fuel be sucked out of it to make maximum power. It's a stereo system with an on/off switch while EFI is a volume knob.
>a carb doesn't need correcting.
Thats false tho, I have to play with my carb summer/winter and whenever I go to the mountains as air density changes cannot be compensated for unlike a modern engine with MAF/MAS and EFI.
Fair enough. Carbs on cars are dumb, but I love them on my dirt bike for small package size. That said, on my V-twin, I would never trade my EFI away.

>Name a single Honda
ridgeline comes to mind

lol. i'm not saying you're wrong, but a unibody fwd/awd crossover/truck isn't quite what I meant. but technically, yes, more meant their cars.

I have a different way of thinking. I think I can get more fuel than you using air alone.

Carbs rely on airflow only (outside of the choke). The simple fact is sure you could work all sorts of magic to make your carb adjustable with cables, hell maybe even electronics with feedback, but at that point it would be simpler and more efficient to use EFI.

EFI is one of the odd mechanical/electrical engineering advances in that it is actually far simpler than the old technology (carb) it replaced. And that is why carbs are dead. They have literally zero advantage unless your motor is lawn mower/weed eater size.

The problem is carbs rely on airflow and vacuum, which is affected by air density which the carb cannot compensate for and that is its fatal flaw. Elevation, temperature, relative humidity, cannot be compensated whereas on a modern car you have a multitude of sensors costing hardly anything.

you're right, honestly. if I cared to sell any of this, I would have to use an electronic backup.

oh, and your use of "rely" when talking about airflow is probably the wedge between our thought.

I would use "exploit", which is why I see the future.

You realize a carb simply works on the venturi principle ie suction?

Why bother when you can have a high pressure fuel pump and a solenoid valve (fuel injector) spray as much or little fuel wherever you want in the intake tract?

Carbs are actually Amish approved. Make it a diesel with a hand crank and they would be on board. Unlike 99.99% of tech that is more complicated, EFI is so simple even I am able to play with it with far more adjustibility than two screws and a variable choke.

While a carb is a mind blowing mechanical exploit of physics, a fuel pump and electronics I could build off the internet far surpasses it. I enjoy your dedication to the idea, but even as a mechanical engineer I accept carbs are dead, tho I love them.

Take a look at GM TBI injection. Its essentially fuel injection by a single injector at the TB (so it gets the mix you want) and even it failed. Mind you I am not a huge fan of DI despite one of my cars having it due to fouling, however the power/efficiency is undeniable compared to normal fuel injection.

That said I am quite intrigued why you think a carb relying on suction, without real-time adjustability, is superior to EFI where you have real-time control and infinite ability to up-size.

i've been reading

chevythunder.com/gm_throttle_body_injection_pg_1.htm

but I still think you underestimate the air. you've been tricked by promises of reliability in different climates! different humidities, goy...

yeah it's great having your car work, but you are not going to far surpass it in anything but the early stages of driving. get real. as soon as we hit the wind of 150+ the carb will take over.

>in b4 "nuh up muh ecu will chase it" argument
in a race a carb could catch fuel on your wake if you ever pass me.

because mankind will never duplicate the power of a river. look at any example. man made rivers tear up the banks. a river from god has a deep center. that's what the fish like.

if I'm being honest, I literally think God will make my engine better if I use a carburetor. he told me so.

see
A carb literally can't deliver more or less fuel no matter what you want. It relies on a small nozzle in the intake to "suck" it out. Why would this ever be better than an EFI that I could make run so rich it would cause the engine to flood or run so lean the engine would burn itself up?
Thats great but manking made the engine, the carb, and EFI. Man also reroutes rivers to make more power than god ever could. Praying to god doesn't make him any more real. Man can harness the river, he no longer needs to rely on it to assist him, he owns it. Carbs are a waterwheel. EFI is a dam with turbines and spillgates. God is man.

mankind doesn't make the air coming in the engine. but we can control the devices we use to exploit it.

fact is, you are turning your back on the air for reliability. ADMIT IT! YOU ARE LOST! now come home like the prodigal son.

Man can grow plants to turn CO2 to O2, and he can turn H20 to O2 and H2 via electrolysis. God is man, and man is God. Man has even learned to break the Lord's rule by splitting the atom, to kill Japs and to make energy.

>EFI is a dam with turbines and spillgates
false. EFI is unconnected with the air. it is not a turbine.

now I just think you're stupid.

>he thinks splitting the atom matters

Well it still relies on a MAF/MAS. So EFI is me carefully pouring gasoline into the intake when needed, a carb is you hooking a siphon to a gas can and hoping the tube is sized right.

>ITT OP played Forza and thinks it's just a few cuts and welds
OP I give you Project Binky. FWD to AWD but still. Have fun.
youtu.be/7hCPODjJO7s

the tube is obviously sized right. now what? oh no my tube not be sized right!

you're still on the reliability jew. I seriously doubt you like carbs at all. you're just a soulless shill.

As long as the temperature never changes, nor the humidity, and we never go up or down a hill, then we text book perfect! Unlike you I pray to Satan to compensate for my mathematical and physical errors. The sky Jew doesn't care about you.
i bet you think the earth is flat too and you can just drive all the way around it.
anyways been fun user, I gotta crash. i hope you, Elon, and your carbs show the goyim the truth.

*isn't
Pray to the angel who came to earth user, he has our best interests in heart, which is why he was banished.

i could run a carburetor flywheel. what now?

Can you hook it up to my waterwheel? It's in deep need of modernization, but I can't figure out how to turn the fucking thing off, so that is your problem.

I'm dead serious, you put a turbine on a flywheel and hit the carb with the vortex during starvation.

as for your waterwheel, direct the falling water into a hyperbolic funnel.

thank me later.

I want the kind of drugs you're on, because clearly it's some good shit.

So you turn the key, and the engine explodes? Genius.

here's a picture for the baby

You realize a mini is completely different right dips hit? Most fwd cars don't even take advantage of the fwd aspect for Interior room, the floors aren't flat

Different from what? It's FWD.